RIP, Sir Sean Connery

I don't even know what to say. Everyone will always remember him as James Bond, but he was so much more than that. He was synonymous with "screen presence," "movie star," and any other positive phrase we associate with actors. He is also being lauded as a fiercely loyal son of Scotland, of whose independence he was a staunch supporter.

Rest in peace, Sean. You were one of the all-time greats, and your legend will live on.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: RIP, Sir Sean Connery

A king, a captain, a fatherly professor, an untouchable cop, an immortal swordsman, and of course Her Majesty's most charming secret agent just to name a few. I can't think of many actors that could be all these things.

I had always wished he had kept acting but I was glad hearing he was content no longer doing so.

There's just none like him anymore. Truly, there can be only one Sean Connery.

Ronin wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:50 pm A king,.....
Ronin, pretty certain you are referring to "The Man Who Would Be King". Great movie, excellent casting.
I saw it at the theatre when it first came out.
I can't tell you how many times I have watched it since, but it is a lot, like several dozen times, VHS version only [keep reading] .
Don't know if you know this but the DVD version has had scenes cut from it. Don't know about the BD version (if there is one).
When I watched a VHS version many moons ago, as far as I could tell it was true to the theatrical version.
Later I watched a DVD and was livid at how some scenes were cut, especially the scene where Daniel falls from the bridge.
So right now I own the VHS version only. Will have to check out the BD version.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Valkrist wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:15 pm Well, he did play King Richard the Lionheart in a brief cameo at the end of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (the Kevin Costner one).

;)
Did he? OK....didn't know that since I never saw Prince of Thieves.
On another forum it was mentioned that Connery was also in the very old Disney movie (but not as a King) Darby o'Gill and the Little People.
I remember seeing the movie but can't recall if it was at the theatre or on TV. And I wouldn't have known him from Adam in any case.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I was at work when I heard this news. For a good half an hour I thought it was a hoax until I finally checked my phone. One of the most memorable actors of our day.

R.I.P. Juan Sánchez-Villalobos Ramírez - one of my favourite characters from one of my favourite movies that started me on my path to movie sword collecting.
*cheers*
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Deimos wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:50 pm
Ronin wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:50 pm A king,.....
Ronin, pretty certain you are referring to "The Man Who Would Be King". Great movie, excellent casting.
I saw it at the theatre when it first came out.
I can't tell you how many times I have watched it since, but it is a lot, like several dozen times, VHS version only [keep reading] .
Don't know if you know this but the DVD version has had scenes cut from it. Don't know about the BD version (if there is one).
When I watched a VHS version many moons ago, as far as I could tell it was true to the theatrical version.
Later I watched a DVD and was livid at how some scenes were cut, especially the scene where Daniel falls from the bridge.
So right now I own the VHS version only. Will have to check out the BD version.
My sincerest apologies for the late reply. My check-ins to the forums weren't punctual this past week.

You are right, Deimos. I was indeed referring to "The Man Who Would Be King". Although King Richard was in my mind as well so Val gets a point too :D

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD. It never fails that a new release is accompanied by needless tinkering from either the studio or the directors themselves.
It's why I've gotten into the habit of thoroughly researching before buying any new DVD/Blu Rays.
It's one thing to tinker or have alternate versions so long as the theatrical version is readily available (Blade Runner for example) but it's a bit fraudulent to make those changes and pass it off as authentic.
Rare is the case when a change makes a film better.

Remembering Sir Sean, another movie I had failed to mention but loved was "Dragonheart". Quite groundbreaking for the time and of course Mr. Connery was fantastic in his role. The whole cast was quite good in fact. Great score as well.

Return to “Media”