High Elven warrior shield help!

Hi all,

I guess I’m asking this openly, but also hoping Kit Rae can maybe shed some light on this. I’ve got a high Elven warrior shield is like to display, but it has quite a pronounced warp, I guess like a twist, from top to bottom. Any ideas on if this particular kind of fibreglass resin is susceptible to heat, could I heat it and twist it back?

Re: High Elven warrior shield help!

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:57 am Hi all,

I guess I’m asking this openly, but also hoping Kit Rae can maybe shed some light on this. I’ve got a high Elven warrior shield is like to display, but it has quite a pronounced warp, I guess like a twist, from top to bottom. Any ideas on if this particular kind of fibreglass resin is susceptible to heat, could I heat it and twist it back?
Every HEWS I've seen in person is warped, some more than others. Just like yours, mine also has a twist toward the bottom.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:24 am [quote="Jamie Shakespeare" post_id=117218 time=<a href="tel:1630871846">1630871846</a> user_id=5225]
Hi all,

Every HEWS I've seen in person is warped, some more than others. Just like yours, mine also has a twist toward the bottom.
[/quote]

How weird - I wonder if they left the factory that way, or is it simply a product of time … I’m going to try applying heat tomorrow abs seeing if it becomes pliable

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:16 am
Buckeye wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:24 am ...
How weird - I wonder if they left the factory that way, or is it simply a product of time … I’m going to try applying heat tomorrow abs seeing if it becomes pliable
I going to guess and say that it's just resin being resin; meaning resin doesn't like temperature variations, and the larger the chunk of resin, the less it likes it. If your shields hadn't warped (thereby reducing the strain on the resin) they would have cracked.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I don't think I have seen any warped shields before, but I assume it would have cured like that and left the factory that way. I just checked mine, which came from the first production, and I don't see any warpage.

I have heated resin before to re-shape it, with some success. I have immersed small parts in boiling water, and used a heat gun at other times. You have to heat slowly until there is some flxibility, but not too much, then hold the shape while immersing in water to set it. Even doing that, I have had some parts return to the warped shape anyway.

I am not sure how something as large as the shield can be evenly heated and cooled though. The fiber in the resin will also resist changing the shape.
KRDS

Return to “Inquiries”