Re: Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Sword

I really like the lion head pommel, and the coastguard (reminds me of a noseguard on a Norman helmet), and the fact that its functional is the icing on the cake :) Though, I don't like the writing down the blade (anyone knows what it says), its still a pretty cool sword. Thanks for the pics and information
:cheers:
~wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Geared towards kids? I think it will be accepted by kids as being a great movie, but it is something that will interest young adults and the older generations as well. While the books are geared towards kids, those that have grown up with LoTR and Narnia will definately be going to see this movie. From what i've seen in the trailer... it is going to be very well done. Obviously a few things have been modified from the book, but not everything can be the same.

As for the sword... designed by Weta :) Can't wait to see more of this collection. If anyone remembers those screenshots I posted from the first trailer... there are going to be some pretty interesting weapons!

Heres my gallery.
photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1796&pass ... 500&page=1
Valar morghulis

The blade reads: ""When Aslan bears his teeth, winter meets its death."

And there is no exact realease date I have seen yet... just "October-November". It does look like a very nice blade though! ...

http://masterreplicas.com/customer/narn ... p?pid=8525

From the website: "Designed to be an exact replica of the original prop supplied by Weta Workshop Ltd., the blade of Peter's powerful tool is constructed of durable hand-forged steel and sturdy full tang and features elegant acid-etched lettering details. The leather grip includes gold-plated, cast-metal details including an exquisite brass lion head. A nickel-chromed steel hand guard completes this authentic work of art."

The only bad thing is, there is no real specs for it from what I can see.
The display plaque looks really well-done too!

[ATTACH]1397[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1398[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't really like this sword. I seems a little too "put together" meaning it looks like a piece of metal just slapped on there for the crossguard, and the thing (at least the hilt part) looks a little flimsy for a blade of that size. Its somthing about the pommel that looks strange too, and I like having my swords symmetrical. Anyway, to each his own.

From what I've seen from the actual prop... its almost impossible to tell the difference. It looks like they've got the looks right. They are saying that its functional, so I assume that it will be the same quality as Windlass swords or the KoH line-up. Which is basically, a handforged sword, but lacks the time and love into the swords, like Atrim and Albion put into theirs. This could very well be a great sword and i'd like to read a review or two before I make my decision, but I do like the looks of it.

While it may not appeal to everyone, I love swords that are not semetrical. Of course... I don't mean like... totaly out of the ordinary. But like Smallswords and cutlasses, they have a unique shape to them.

I don't think they copied this sword from the LoTR line... Anduril specifically. They may have used it for inspiration, but look at this picture here: http://home.cogeco.ca/~bczerneda/Ice/Jo ... Legend.jpg

That is a Spanish? King... and his sword. Look how similar these two are. There is more then one sword with an inscription down the blade. I can't be for certain, but it's a safe bet they didn't create this sword with Anduril in mind. They even went to the books reference, which describes it as a gold hilt. Although the crossguard is silver... I think the gold and silver look with the red is brilliant!

To each is own! :)
Valar morghulis

Most things that I come across on the internet are accidents. I forget what I was searching for, I think it may have been Stonehenge. I was looking up one of the first artists to paint Stonehenge and I think this was done by another painter, but it was displayed on the same page.

I've fallen in love with that sword in the picture and I think I'm going to have it custom made in the future when I can afford to have it done.

EDIT: Here's an inscription of the painting I found. It was done in 1505. The King in the picture is from Austria. You can read more.

"These two panels are the wings of a triptych, the central panel of which, the Last Judgement, is also found in the Brussels museum. The latter, however, is by a weaker hand. All three panels come from Zierikzee, where presumably the triptych originally hung in the courtroom in the town hall. This is one example of a so-called "justice tableau" (gerechtigheidstafereel), as commonly found in courtrooms in the Low Countries. The presentation of the Last Judgement and other edifying justice tableaux were intended to encourage judges to judge equitably.

On the left hand panel we see Philip the Fair, in full armour, with uplifted sword in his right hand, presented as the ultimate earthly judge. He is crowned and wears, on his ermine cape, the chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece. His breast armour is decorated with the Burgundian, Austrian and Spanish coats of arms. His wife, Joan of Castile, also known as Joan the Mad, wears, above her brocade dress, a wide royal mantle on which the same coats of arms are recognisable. She too wears a crown on her head.

Philip, the son of Mary of Burgundy and Maximilian of Austria, was born in 1478. In 1496 he married Joan of Castile, the daughter of Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile. The latter died in 1504, allowing Philip to claim the Spanish throne as his inheritance. Given that Philip is clothed here with the symbols of royal power and himself died in January 1506, these portraits can be dated with considerable accuracy.

Both the sovereigns are shown in the gardens of the palace of the Dukes of Burgundy on the Coudenberg in Brussels, more specifically in the area where the tournaments took place. In the background can be made out a part of the Brussels city wall and the two western towers of St Michael's cathedral, in those days dedicated to St Gudule.

These panels belong to a group of works, the painter of which is known, in the absence of further details, as the Master of the Joseph Legend. It is not impossible that this master was Jacob van Laethem, who was admitted into the painters' guild in Antwerp in 1493. Van Laethem received commissions from the court, mainly for decorative works, on various occasions and accompanied Philip the Fair on his trips to Spain."
Last edited by Thorin on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valar morghulis

Oh... and the other thing... is that this is scale to the prop provided by Weta... and the character who uses it in the book is a young boy... so I was worried about it being on the smallish side... However, the actor in the movie is 18 (I assume he was 16-17 when the movie was shot) so the sword shouldn't be too small hopefully... = happy me!

And if you haven't read these books at all yet, I recommend them! Granted they are geared towards a younger audience but I sure am enjoying them. I can't wait for the movies! Oh... and i wish they'd make Peter's shield too!

Here's a pic of it...

Draven_of_the_Shire wrote:Oh... and the other thing... is that this is scale to the prop provided by Weta... and the character who uses it in the book is a young boy... so I was worried about it being on the smallish side... However, the actor in the movie is 18 (I assume he was 16-17 when the movie was shot) so the sword shouldn't be too small hopefully... = happy me!

The only spec given is the length, which is 44 inches I belive. Thats 5 inches longer then boromirs sword, and reminds me a bit of it to. This is no hobbit sised sword ;)
:cheers:
~wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Holy Cats!
I just stumbled across a 9 minute super trailer for Narnia on some Sweedish site on the web. There are a couple good shots of Peter and his sword. I'm almost positive that after seeing this movie in 2 weeks I am going to need to get that sword! :) ...

Maybe this is common knowledge and everyone has seen it already, but just in case any of you interested in seeing the trailer, I must warn you that there are SUPER spoilers involved. If you have already read the book or if you don't care about spoilers, go ahead and watch. But if you don't want to spoil the movie, steer clear.

All I can say is, I can't wait for this movie!!!

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=642&dl=6859770

Well. Wow.

It's going to be a great movie, not doubt about it!

I noticed a few changes... but I wont yell at anyone, they've done a great job recreating it... I was shocked to hear Aslan... but... he does sound very similar to what I heard in my head when I read the books.

I may end up asking for this sword for christmas :)

Oh. I forgot to add. It's funny... you can always pick out where the trailer music came from. Parts were Van Helsing, but the majority of the trailer was from the Children of Dune mini-series. Its a must watch if you have not!!
Last edited by Thorin on Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valar morghulis

Return to “Master Replicas”