Sparrows sword

Well, about a week ago, I received Jack Sparrows sword from Master replicas, as well as 7 of the other small POTC items. I gotta say, they were a great deal, as MR cut the price of almost everything right before Christmas, (Sparrows sword is only $100 right now). I got everything for $150 with free shipping, which was surprising to me, as they were only advertising free shipping for USA residents.

Anyways, the sword is very nice, and the frame, though made of plastic, is a perfect match. I wouldn't say that it was worth the original $250 MR was asking, but its a perfect display piece for $100. It would have been nice if it were functional, and I'm sure MR could have pulled it off seeing as they did it for the Narnia sword (I do have the MRL (windlass) unlicensed version, and while its nice, and functional, it falls short on looks, and doesn't really capture what a period cutlass might look like). MRs sword also seems a little short, I know the cutlass inst supposed to be overly long, but the hilt is a little small for my hand, and I was wondering if they scaled it down. The aged effect on the blade and guard is also very nice, making it look like it was well used by Capt. Jack himself. Packaging and COA was also well done, #1660 of 3000. As for the smaller items, which would be Jacks rings, beads, Aztec coin, Tia Dalmia necklace, and Barbossa necklace, they are nice for $5 each, but as you would e xp ect, are not very detailed (Noble has its own higher end versions). I might continue this collection, with the compass, gun, and perhaps Barbossa's sword, and will also add photos to the gallery in a little bit.
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Re: Sparrows sword

Hey Grima,
Thanks for the heads up buddy! I've also been questioning the POTC sword collection from MR...but couldn't see myself spending $250 on stainless steel plain looking swords. However, for the $100 price tag...that changes everything! In fact...after i sign off here..i think i'm going to pick up Barbossa's Sword (it's ONLY $79 - with, i'm hoping, free shipping to Canada as u stated). I mean...wow...i guess they're really trying to get rid off the POTC lineup, eh?

Either way...great job on your POTC purchases! Looking forward to seeing some pics!

[quote=""Jash""]Hey Grima,
Thanks for the heads up buddy! I've also been questioning the POTC sword collection from MR...but couldn't see myself spending $250 on stainless steel plain looking swords. However, for the $100 price tag...that changes everything! In fact...after i sign off here..i think i'm going to pick up Barbossa's Sword (it's ONLY $79 - with, i'm hoping, free shipping to Canada as u stated). I mean...wow...i guess they're really trying to get rid off the POTC lineup, eh?[/quote]

Hey, glad to hear your going to pick up Barbossa's sword, let us know how you like it. I just noticed MR sold out of the Jack Sparrows sword, must have been just a couple of days ago. You can still find it similarly priced on a certain auction site if anyone is interested.
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Nice to see you back to posting Grima![/quote]

Hey thanks Blade, nice to see you, as well as Olorin, Valkrist, and Thorin still playing a valuble part in managing this online community. Its also good to see many new and old faces (or avatars), still take part even though the movies are long gone. I'm glad to be back, and apologies for now going off topic.

Hey Grima,
That was weird - about a day after i ordered Barbossa's sword..i saw Jack's was "sold out". Actually...if i really do like Barbossa's sword and decide to get Jack's to complete the set...what do you think of the Windlass version? Assuming you could get them for the same price? I read your pro's and con's at the top of the page...but i am still undecided! lol Either way, first thing's first - i need to wait to see Barbossa's!

I agree with you Grima. My girlfriend bought me the LE Sparrow sword from MR and it does feel a bit small. When I held it, it did feel like a tight fit for my hand as well... but seeing that it is a cutlass it may be the correct size.

I am pleased with it over all though. The aging was nicely done as you stated and it definitely was a great deal at less than half the original price. If it was still $250 I would have told her to save her money, lol. Barbossa's sword is a nice one too! I was torn between which one to get but in the end, I had to go with my man Jack.

One thing I am confused by is when you say it isn't functional... please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't full tang swords usually considered to be functional? I do realize that it doesn't come with a sharp edge so that isn't a functioning aspect of the sword, but if someone was so inclined to sharpen it then wouldn't it become a completely functional weapon?
Movie Reproductions: Museum Collection Glamdring #374/1000, Blue & White Glamdring Scabbards, 2 Mini Glamdrings, Museum Collection Sting #2041/3000, Sting Scabbard, Mini Witchking Sword, House of Flying Daggers Sword of Jin & Leo, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword (Cup Hilt),

Japanese Blades:
Naginata (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Saya) 2 Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Sayas) 1 Katana (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Folded Steel & Wood Saya) 2 Shirasaya Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Heat Tempered 1045 high carbon steel, Wood Sayas)

[quote=""Balrog Obliterator""]One thing I am confused by is when you say it isn't functional... please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't full tang swords usually considered to be functional? I do realize that it doesn't come with a sharp edge so that isn't a functioning aspect of the sword, but if someone was so inclined to sharpen it then wouldn't it become a completely functional weapon?[/quote]

Congratulations on you sword, Balrog, what is the LE number?

Regarding functionality, there are actually quite a few things that determine whether a sword is functional or not, not just the type of tang or sharpness. The type of steel used is probably the most important factor, stainless steel is a very hard and brittle metal, and a blade made of it could fracture or break if you were to hit another sword, or any hard object with it. Carbon (Spring) Steel is more flexible, and ideal for sword blades because it can withstand a blow without destroying the bade. It is also important that a carbon steel blade goes through a processes called heat treatment, which hardens the blade, while still retaining its flexibility. The swords tang is an important factor, but a sword has to have both a good blade, and strong tang to be considered functional. These are the basics, and if you wanted to get really picky, you could look at the Hilt material, weight, balance, and blade profile. Sharpness is least important, swords weren't always razor sharp, and weren't e xp ected to cut through men like watermelon (I guess with the exception of the Katana), especially if they were well armored.

So MR Sparrows sword wouldn't be classified as a functional sword, but of course that doesn't mean its going to fall apart in our giant hands. Its still a weapon. If your interested in further details about what determines functionality, I can post or PM you some links, and videos if you like.
Jash wrote: Hey Grima,
That was weird - about a day after i ordered Barbossa's sword..i saw Jack's was "sold out". Actually...if i really do like Barbossa's sword and decide to get Jack's to complete the set...what do you think of the Windlass version? Assuming you could get them for the same price? I read your pro's and con's at the top of the page...but i am still undecided! lol Either way, first thing's first - i need to wait to see Barbossa's!
Id go with Jacks to complete the set, but Windlass isn't bad, it just doesn't have that authenticity to it like Jacks has. Ive got a picture of Windlasses here...

photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4464&ppuser=613&sl=g

Gotcha. Most helpful Grima! My LE Sparrow sword number is 1463/3000. One thing I decided to do to add to the display of this sword was to tie a replica of Jack's hair beads (piece of 8) to the top of the hilt so it drapes down the middle of the blade while it hangs... looks nice! Also, to the side of my Sparrow sword display I purchased and hung a set of old dungeon hand cuffs with my other 2 cutlasses hanging from the them... also pretty cool.

I did do a little bit of research when I purchased by Naginata, which is ISI 1060 High Carbon Steel. That is probably the only fully functional sword I own and most likely could cut a man like a watermelon.

This is kind of an off track question but as long as were on the topic of functionality... I was curious to know if the MC Glamdring is truly fully functional as it was advertised?

If you wouldn't mind posting some of those links and/or videos I'd love to check them out! I really enjoy learning more and more about this stuff.

Thanks again Grima!
Last edited by Balrog Obliterator on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Movie Reproductions: Museum Collection Glamdring #374/1000, Blue & White Glamdring Scabbards, 2 Mini Glamdrings, Museum Collection Sting #2041/3000, Sting Scabbard, Mini Witchking Sword, House of Flying Daggers Sword of Jin & Leo, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword (Cup Hilt),

Japanese Blades:
Naginata (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Saya) 2 Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Sayas) 1 Katana (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Folded Steel & Wood Saya) 2 Shirasaya Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Heat Tempered 1045 high carbon steel, Wood Sayas)

[quote=""Balrog Obliterator""]
This is kind of an off track question but as long as were on the topic of functionality... I was curious to know if the MC Glamdring is truly fully functional as it was advertised?

If you wouldn't mind posting some of those links and/or videos I'd love to check them out! I really enjoy learning more and more about this stuff.[/quote]

I don't own MC Glamdring, and I'm probably not the best person to pass judgment on whether it, or any other functional sword is worthy of that title. I know they had some problems with production, apparently something was wrong with their heat treatment, as well, some of the swords had to be returned due to bent blades. Mr. Kit Rae himself stated the the MC could never match the quality of an Albion blade, and I don't even remember if UC even claimed it was functional in their product description (I know they did with MC sting). If they did, I wouldn't doubt them. It probably could be used, but maybe just not hold an edge, or handle well compared to an Albion. Its definitely a fine looking museum quality piece though :thumbs_up

Heres a couple good sites.
http://www.adrr.com/sword/
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/
http://www.myarmoury.com/features.html

And Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTg0Oc0m ... re=related
http://www.windlass.com/swordmaking.swf (how Windlass swords are made)

I don't think I should have any problems putting these links up, though some of them sell swords, none are in competition with our sponsors.

[quote=""Balrog Obliterator""]
Gotcha. Most helpful Grima! My LE Sparrow sword number is 1463/3000. One thing I decided to do to add to the display of this sword was to tie a replica of Jack's hair beads (piece of 8) to the top of the hilt so it drapes down the middle of the blade while it hangs... looks nice! Also, to the side of my Sparrow sword display I purchased and hung a set of old dungeon hand cuffs with my other 2 cutlasses hanging from the them... also pretty cool.[/quote]

Again, congratulations, and that sounds like a pretty cool display, hope to see some pictures. I think I'm actually going to get the rest of the collection myself, starting with the pistol and Barbossas sword. The compass will be tough to find though, so if anyone knows a trustworthy site that has them in stock, and at a reasonable price, other then any auction sites, give me a PM. Oh, and I also bought MRL Tricorn hat a while back, and plan to display it next to everything.

Just an update...my Barbossa sword arrived on Tuesday...
I'll start another thread soon with some further thoughts.
But as a summary:
Smaller than e xp ected, i do think it was scaled down. Looks great on the display plaque - and well worth the $79 MR is selling them for!!!

Return to “Master Replicas”