Hobbit Swords, Anyone?

Soooo, what do you guys think will come out with The Hobbit? I know Orcist will definately be there, but what else? Do you think they will make more LOTR items if the Hobbit stuff sells good? I really appreciate your input on this, since I'm re-doing a room in our house right now and I need to know if I should be making room for thirteen dwarven axes!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: Hobbit Swords, Anyone?

lol.... sorry Fing, never even noticed this thread before. You gotta remember that if another thread in the same sub-forum gets posted to after this one, it will not be as noticeable at a glance from the main page.

At any rate, yes... I am looking forward to Orcrist, and that's the one blade I know I will be picking up for sure. I sure do hope UC gets the license for making the Hobbit weapons, because we have to remember... this license with Weta currently extends only to the LOTR props.

Since Sting and Glamdring are going to reappear, I'm sure we'll see a resurgence of interest in those two blades. If they pay attention to continuity, we should see Balin's Axe also (that's the first axe UC released for Gimli, the one he finds in Moria.) Other than that, I'm not sure what else we will see or what will be popular. There's the other dwarven axes as you mentioned, though I'm sure they will all be fairly similar. The only other weapon of note in the novel was Bard's bow and the famous black arrow that brings down Smaug. It's possible we might see a nice new elven sword for Thandruil of Mirkwood, and a nice axe for Dain of the Iron Hills.
This Space for Rent

Why would they remake Gimli's Battle Axe? And besides, I thought that was Durin's Axe and Balin found it in Moria?

I always thought in the back of my mind a sword and crown of Thranduil wood be very cool. Also if he has a helm than Bard's Helm, Dain's Axe and maybe even one of those short swords that the dwarves of the iron hills carry. It would also be interesting to see if they make any kind of goblin weapon.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Why would they remake Gimli's Battle Axe? And besides, I thought that was Durin's Axe and Balin found it in Moria?[/quote]

Ah yes, I get what you're saying here. If the axe that Gimli grabs from Balin's tomb is the Axe of Durin the Deathless, then no, we should not see it in the Hobbit because Balin will not find that axe until the e xp edition to Moria. However, I don't recall whether it is mentioned or not (at least not in the movie) if the axe that Gimli takes is simply Balin's old axe, or the Axe of Durin.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I always thought in the back of my mind a sword and crown of Thranduil wood be very cool. Also if he has a helm than Bard's Helm, Dain's Axe and maybe even one of those short swords that the dwarves of the iron hills carry. It would also be interesting to see if they make any kind of goblin weapon.[/quote]
Those are some good ideas. I remember when UC attempted to make the crown of King Elessar, but Noble Collection beat them to it. I currently forget the details, but it's in these forums somewhere...lol. But with the release of 'The Hobbit', it will give UC a fresh start to try some ideas they didn't get to before, such as the crowns. I also would love more helms, but i don't think they sold as well as UC anticipated for LOTR.... But like you, i've always wanted UC to make more 'bad guy' weaponary. Well, i still have a little wall saved for 'Hobbit' arms and armour....so here's to hoping! :thumbs_up
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Agreed.

Way back when, UC had all kinds of ideas on the line, including goblin and orc weaponry that I never found appealing. The Southron and Easterling weapons are nice and exotic, and the huge Uruk-hai two-hander was also cool, but the goblin stuff was just crude and ugly. Of course, that's exactly how they should be, but not something I would display on my walls. Of the remaining bad guys, the Nazgul and Sauron stuff is always on top of the list, except for Sauron's sword, which I despise. I honestly don't think we'll see any of the above in the new movie except for goblin weapons, and I sincerely hope UC doesn't devote resources to making those when there are other items with much higher priority, at least to myself and many others here.
This Space for Rent

Very true. I was always wishing UC would make some Southron and Easterling arms and armour...but, i guess that dream is long gone... I guess the bigger question is - how enthusiastic will UC be in releasing new products until the Hobbit does come out? I'm guessing we'll see a new product every few months, with a large output of merchandise just before the Hobbit movie. If that's the case, than it will probably be "good guy" weaponary from LOTR until then. And the way things are going right now, i honestly have not even a guess what items will come out next...lol.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I'm wondering if Thranduil will even use a sword. Weren't the Elves of the Battle of Five Armies written as fighting with spears? Gil-Galad's Aiglos was a spear.

Or maybe he'll have both. Either way, I'm looking forward to new Elven weaponry. I'm e xp ecting it to be somewhat cruder than the other designs we've seen, but still wonderful.

Other than that, I hope we don't get 13 different axe designs. Orcrist will be amazing. I'm thinking the Black Arrow will be pretty good looking. Thranduil's crown was described in some detail in the Hobbit, and sounded quite nice as well. Noble's version of the seagull winged crown of Aragorn's was pretty cool looking.

The only other collectible sized thing I can think of would be some reproduction of the Arkenstone, which I always sort of pictured in my head as a poor man's Silmaril.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

Being leader of only a handful of Sindar and a ton of Silvan elves, I think the predominant weapon we will see Thranduil's crew use will be bows, much like Legolas' Mirkwood bow which he wielded early on in FOTR, not the huge Lorien bows we see later on. Yes, spears will likely make an appearance also as I too recall them being mentioned in the text. Thranduil will likely have a sword, and since action is so pumped up in today's movies, we probably will see him using it. I loved the brief glimpse of Gil-galad fighting in the prologue of FOTR and wish there had been more of it, so here's to seeing Thranduil in action. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

I agree! We only got like 20 seconds of Gil-Galadinous goodness. I hope we get to see Thranduil in action, and I'm betting if they really do a solid chunk of time and effort on the battle, then all of the leaders will see significant screen time.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

I'm really looking forward to seeing me in action as well.
All this waiting and law suits and dickering around, I'm getting bored. And if those dog gone Mayan's are right, well, that'll be the end of that (and everything else).

On a more serious note; I really am looking forward to seeing Orcrist and hope it will be produced so I can add it to my collection.

I was recently informed by our wonderful curator that I am only 4 swords shy of having the entire collection. That makes it sound so tempting to complete it, but when I think of other swords possibly being added (Guthwine, Orcrist, etc.) I don't really have room for the ones I can get now. Money, space, and unpredictable future of what will be released, why do we do this?
Oh yeah, crazy in love with the stuff.

Wasn't the mattock the primary weapon of the Iron Hills dwarves?

They aren't very visually appealing, I don't think. They look like a cross between a hoe and a claw hammer, with a really big head and a long pole. I'm sort of hoping they substitute the mattock with a halberd instead. If they're going for accuracy, it might not do to use swords for the majority of them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them use axes.

Indeed.

The text says Dain and his people wielded two-handed mattocks, short broadswords, and round shields. They could change the mattocks to warhammers or even maces for something that's more recognizable yet similar, but I suspect we will see axes instead as that weapon is more synonymous with dwarves onscreen and in fantasy literature.
This Space for Rent

I hope UC makes the replicas because they will look different from the lord of the rings ones. I know not design wise but in terms of quality and how the replicas a put together.

Just to jog my memory: Gimli's battle axe belonged to balin. did balin use it in the hobbit????`
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]I hope UC makes the replicas because they will look different from the lord of the rings ones. I know not design wise but in terms of quality and how the replicas a put together.

Just to jog my memory: Gimli's battle axe belonged to balin. did balin use it in the hobbit????`[/quote]
I'm sure Val or Olorin will be able to answer that.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]I'm sure Val or Olorin will be able to answer that.[/quote]

This one is a cypher so far, because it depends on the exact nature of Balin's axe that we saw in the trilogy.

See if you follow me: Balin owned at least two axes in his life. The first was the axe he doubtless carried with him and used during the events of The Hobbit. When that adventure was over, Balin took a group of dwarves into Moria to reestablish a colony there. During his e xp lorations, he uncovered the tomb of Durin the Deathless and retrieved his axe, which he claimed for his own.

So, when Gimli and the Fellowship find Balin's tomb, they recover Balin's axe, but is it Balin's original weapon, or Durin's fabled axe? Considering the importance of the latter, it is most likely that Balin was entombed with Durin's axe. If that is the case, then the axe that we will see Balin carrying in the new movie should not be the same one that Gimli finds. Makes sense?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]yes. I am going to read the hobbit again soon. And what you say makes sense.

I look forward to seeing Orcrist and Thranduil's sword[/quote]
Gee, I never thought of Thranduil's sword going on the list of possibilities.
That makes four future possible purchases to make room for, my display's gettin' crowded.

You know, when it comes down to having every item produced, a person could open a small museum to display all of it.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

To be able to add Orcrist and Thranduil's sword to a collection would be great! I have to wonder what other possible goodies we could see related to these movies. I must say that I've had some concerns about potential collectibles though. Both at Sideshow and UC, there have been some problems with hobbit and dwarf-related items selling as well as other characters of Middle Earth. Since the break with Weta, SS has produced only two hobbit items (the Frodo Baggins PF and the Frodo/Sam at Mount Doom diorama) and nothing/nada/zilch related to Gimli or any other dwarves. :'( The Frodo PF was not a good seller.

As far as UC, what could they do, produce 13 different axes? From comments I've read over the years, Gimli's weapons have been among some of the slowest selling LOTR items. It just raises questions in my mind as to what we could be looking forward to.

There again, with Weta, PJ and Del Toro being involved, we might see things that we never e xp ected to see when based strictly on the book. How about some incredibly awesome Mirkwood Elven armor and weaponry? :thumbs_up That could be spectacular!

[quote=""MorgulMike""]As far as UC, what could they do, produce 13 different axes? From comments I've read over the years, Gimli's weapons have been among some of the slowest selling LOTR items. It just raises questions in my mind as to what we could be looking forward to.[/quote]

Yup. You can still buy original production Gimli's Axe on Ebay for $59.99. You can buy Gimli's helm from pretty much any supplier on the internet (ie- Smith Blades $139.00). No one asked for the bearded axe, but it was produced anyways. I wonder how that's selling for them? :huh: I think UC Forums member "ufcyclg" may be the only collector on this forum with it, infact. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hatin' on Dwarven weapons/armour, but I hope they choose items to produce that will sell to collector's like us, that way they can have successful sales and keep producing fantastic weapons!

Elven weapons/armour, Bard's Bow/sword, Orcist, Gandalf's staff, and of course SOME Dwarven weapons for sure. :thumbs_up

Guthwine. I'm just sayin'...
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

I seem to remember Kit saying on here that the bearded axe was in the works and almost finished with the old United before it changed hands. I wonder if the one that is out now is the same or something new. Regardless, I always liked the other axes and I think that is the majority of what we will see in the Hobbit with all those dwarves.

I'd really like to see orcrist. I'm getting sting in a few weeks ( the helm and the walking axe have gone :( ) After that I want to get Glamdring and the scabbard. I'd also like to see some new elven stuff (but with hand forged blades!)

What do you think the chances are (if UC gets the license) of seeing a Museum edition orcrist and a scabbard. Would love to get a museum sword as I never got the Glamdring or sting or the sword of sam :|

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]What do you think the chances are (if UC gets the license) of seeing a Museum edition orcrist and a scabbard. :| [/quote]
About as good as seeing the film considering it can't be released until we do see the film.
Let me see, I'm guessing you might be 17 by then lol.

I really want to see Orcrist. I am glad that for sting and glamdring they didn't go over the top. Hopefully they will do the same with Orcrist.

I'd also love to see your sword thranduil as I have already said. And maybes a goblin weapon
Last edited by Lindir on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I was on Kropserkel's website today and finally found a picture of the goblin sword I hope to see with the Hobbit. Doubt they'd make it but....wishful thinking. Then again, that's where we're at with just hoping for a film. :'(

[/quote]

Man, I've wanted one of those swords (and the Moria Orc shield) since the first time I saw FOTR! This would be an awesome addition to an LOTR collection. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Now is that Museum Collection or "Weathertop Series" ? :crazy: [/quote]

Neither ....It's part of the CU Series (Cirith Ungol)
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yeah, that's a shot of my hand... right after I finished dealing with a spammer on the forums. :crazy:

No, just kidding, honestly. It's a photo I found on the net... I swear! ;) [/quote]
Yeah right, your just trying to create an alibi.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Kill the troll! Kill the troll! Kill the troll! Kill the troll![/quote]

Trolls are people too!
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”