Re: Checklist of UC LOTR items

I'm just confused by things like Herugrim being available before other TTT swords. How is it possible that Herugrim was released in 2003 at the same time as the Green Box editions? Some of the dates are a little iffy.

And on another note: does anyone have any of the miniatures? I'm trying to make a checklist of those, does anyone know if some of them were LEs or what the release years were?
Last edited by Fingolfin on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I'm just confused by things like Herugrim being available before other TTT swords. How is it possible that Herugrim was released in 2003 at the same time as the Green Box editions? Some of the dates are a little iffy.[/quote]

That's definitely not right. Herugrim came out way after the green boxes, and certainly not before Strider's Ranger Sword. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Other things like the Shards, Anduril, Gimli Helm and Legolas Scabbards have me confused. Their box colors don't correspond with their year of release. I know that the Gimli Helm is older because it's the only helm on my red box and blue box swords, which confuses me as to why it's labeled red box.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Gosh I wish they would make Aeglos and Gil-Galad's shield. I love elven weaponry. I would be the first to pre order them, no ifs ands or buts.[/quote]
Better start saving your money Fin, Gil-galad's shield is on my list of items I plan to make. :)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Gimli's Helm is blue box. I got it brand new as it was released, and it was a blue box. Shards are red, and Anduril is blue. My Legolas scabbards came without the outer sleeve, so I don't know what colour they were, but since they were released concurrently with the actual knives, whose box was blue, I think that answers that question.

P.S. - I'm not colour-blind. ;)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]That's definitely not right. Herugrim came out way after the green boxes, and certainly not before Strider's Ranger Sword. :huh: [/quote]
According to the list in post #1, Herugrim came in a blue box (mine did) and was released in 2003, no way. Mines dated MMIV, which leads me to ask;
because some have been re-released and some of mine are not dated with roman numerals, does anyone have Herugrim dated without roman numerals?

My Hadhafang is dated 2002.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

My Herugrim is also dated MMIV, while my Strider and Hadhafang are dated 2002.

Thinking harder about this, I think these dates are right. While it really doesn't feel like I've owned this blades that long, that's only a matter of perspective, not necessarily where the truth lies. I do recall Strider and Hadhafang coming out on the heels of one another, so it makes sense they have the same year and box colour. Also, I bought my place in and moved into it in 2004, and I recall getting Herugrim shortly before that. I got it as it was released, it came in a blue box, and it was '04.

The first three swords in the series, which I also bought brand spankin' new as they were released, Sting, Glamdring, and Witchking, have no dates on the blades. The next green box release, Narsil, has 2002 on the blade.
This Space for Rent

OK, now for even more confusion...

I bought Boromir's sword UC1400 NIB from a dealer (not Derek) in the fall of 2009.
It came in the brown sleeved box , which I understood (from reading posts here) to be the LOTR box color of the post bankruptcy UC.
Also I understood that post bankruptcy LOTR swords (i.e. BudK swords) were made in China and not Taiwan.

Yet, my UC1400 Sword of Boromir is made in Taiwan and is dated with the Roman numeral formatting MMIV (2004).

So I have a 2004 made in Taiwan LOTR sword that came in a brown sleeved box. And the reason for this seeming anomaly (at least to me) is???....anyone know??? :huh:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

The brown sleeved box isn't just post bankruptcy, it also signified "trilogy" as when each movie came out they all had different colors, green for fellowship, red for towers and blue for return and after they had everything in brown before the bankruptcy and now after. Hope this answers your question as you probably got some of the older stock.

[quote=""N2darkness""]The brown sleeved box isn't just post bankruptcy, it also signified "trilogy" as when each movie came out they all had different colors, green for fellowship, red for towers and blue for return and after they had everything in brown before the bankruptcy and now after. Hope this answers your question as you probably got some of the older stock.[/quote]

Yes it does. Thanks. And now I see on Draven's original list that there are a number of 2005 swords that came in the brown sleeve/box.

So N2D, do you know the answer to Fin's question about the 4 letters after the UC # on Leggy's scabbards and other things (staffs I think?) , and also why some swords are dated with Roman numerals (of all things! Someone in the UC copyright office being funny?)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Just chiming in to confirm what N2 just said: the notion that the brown sleeve boxes represent only post-bankruptcy UC items couldn't be more false.

My final UC LOTR purchases were all pre-bankruptcy, and they all came in brown boxes: Elven Helm, Elven Shield, and Elven Sword. I think my Sauron Helm and Gauntlet were also in brown boxes, but I'd have to go into my storage to check. I never bought any of the post-bankruptcy items, so I know there's no confusion there.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Deimos""]
So N2D, do you know the answer to Fin's question about the 4 letters after the UC # on Leggy's scabbards and other things (staffs I think?) , and also why some swords are dated with Roman numerals (of all things! Someone in the UC copyright office being funny?)[/quote]

I think the "BK" and "WT" in the staffs just mean Black and White. But the Strider Scabbard, Herugrim, Elven Knife of Strider, FKLs, Andurils, FKL Scabbards, Helm of Elendil, Helm of Gimli and Battle Axe of Gimli all have those four letter abbreviations at the end and I haven't the slightest clue as to what they're for. Any clues, anyone?

That's correct. Two letter codes usually denoted a color if there was more than one available.

That four letter code was something the purchasing manager at UC came up with at the time. It was a code that identified several things about the product type and packaging, but it never made much sense to the rest at UC, was not consistent, and UC's dealers hated it. It was eventually dropped.

Good work on the list, though many of the release dates are not correct. Just looking at Sting, Glamdring, and the Witchking swords from FOTR - Those were officially released in 2001, though we actually had some in dealers hands late 2000. The roman numerals on the blades are the best reference, though not always correct as New Line constantly had us change them. The box colors changed for each film, as noted in previous posts, though to add to the confusion, New Line directed ALL box colors to be changed when each film came out, including swords from previous films that were already on the market. We e xp lained that was not entirely possible as we printed boxes in large runs that may not be used up when the box color changed - but some were changed with each film. I like the idea in theory, but it was not very practical.

There should probably be two Galdalf the White staffs listed. The metal version (which I call the piece of ****), and the proper resin and wood version that came about 7 months later, both with the same item number.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]That's correct. Two letter codes usually denoted a color if there was more than one available.

That four letter code was something the purchasing manager at UC came up with at the time. It was a code that identified several things about the product type and packaging, but it never made much sense to the rest at UC, was not consistent, and UC's dealers hated it. It was eventually dropped.

Good work on the list, though many of the release dates are not correct. Just looking at Sting, Glamdring, and the Witchking swords from FOTR - Those were officially released in 2001, though we actually had some in dealers hands late 2000. The roman numerals on the blades are the best reference, though not always correct as New Line constantly had us change them. The box colors changed for each film, as noted in previous posts, though to add to the confusion, New Line directed ALL box colors to be changed when each film came out, including swords from previous films that were already on the market. We e xp lained that was not entirely possible as we printed boxes in large runs that may not be used up when the box color changed - but some were changed with each film. I like the idea in theory, but it was not very practical.

There should probably be two Galdalf the White staffs listed. The metal version (which I call the piece of ****), and the proper resin and wood version that came about 7 months later, both with the same item number.[/quote]

Very good to know Sir! Thanks for the info!

I'll get the changes made and the lists updated. Feel free to point out any other errors as the list is something we all kinda have been putting together based on the best info we have (including our memories sometimes... which can be scary in some cases!)...

Thanks again.

Decided to look at the list posted on this thread and got a little depressed... there are 20 items on the LOTR list I don't have, THAT'S A LOT. Now some, I am not in the market for in the least, like Museum collection Glamdring with display, or shards of narsil.. heck it'd be easier and cheaper to buy a Narsil and go find Sauron and let him step on it!

I keep checking ebay, for good deals and such, but I dont want to be years behind with Hobbit items playing catch up, paying premium prices again.. So Hobbit items will be my collecting focus, unless a good deal pops up for LOTR items.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”