The sword of Faramir
Total votes: 10 (8%)
Third age elven helmet
Total votes: 8 (6%)
Theoden's helmet
Total votes: 11 (9%)
Total votes: 124

Re: UC LOTR products 2010

Hey Ed, enough with this temp account stuff. When are you going to rejoin us? :)

Anyhow, the Arwen/Elrond dagger is a reference to a small elven dagger that Arwen is seen carrying. She never wields it in the movie, but in some of the shots of Hadhafang's prop, you can see a dagger and its sheath attached to the sword scabbard itself. The dagger looks like a miniature version of the sword. Can't find a pic online at the moment, and even Weapons and Warfare doesn't show it, but trust me, it exists.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Hey Ed, enough with this temp account stuff. When are you going to rejoin us? :)

Anyhow, the Arwen/Elrond dagger is a reference to a small elven dagger that Arwen is seen carrying. She never wields it in the movie, but in some of the shots of Hadhafang's prop, you can see a dagger and its sheath attached to the sword scabbard itself. The dagger looks like a miniature version of the sword. Can't find a pic online at the moment, and even Weapons and Warfare doesn't show it, but trust me, it exists.[/quote]

Are these glimpses of the dagger in the film or the appendices? And where specifically should we look? I'm guessing I should first look when she takes Frodo from Aragorn.

Sounds as elusive as ed. ;)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Been a long time since I saw the images, but there was a photo of the prop that showed the sword, the dagger, the scabbard, and the sheath. In the movie, I think the only time it is glimpsed is when Arwen is galloping to the Ford of Bruinen and the sword is at her side on the horse.
This Space for Rent

Dagger looks like a modified White Knife....seems about the same length and the pommel has the same slanted shape.

Can't quite tell if the sheath is also a modded WK sheath.

Still, if they ever made it I would probably buy it, if only to keep Hadhafang company in my display.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Sure, it bears similarities to the fighting knives Legolas has since it's Elven in design, but it is definitely a unique piece.

The handle length and shape is different (like where the handle meets the blade, there's no metal collar), the blade has that thorn coming off of it (and no cutout on the other side, which it'd have if it were a modified White Knife), blade's also wider or shorter than the those of the Legolas knives.

This is the first time I've seen the knife and scabbard, though- both of them are amazing! Scabbard is sublime, just like most every weapon-related prop Weta made for the films xD

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

It's got to be the cost of that scabbard and dagger that tilt the scale into undoable, no one would pay what we need to charge kind of thing.

I watched the film intently try to see if it shows up. Even watched the appendices to see if it was shown, but even there Hadhafang was in the scabbard laying with the dagger side down.

This is my first look at this as well. What a combo! :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

just finished watching my extended fellowship dvd, in one of the 2 special features disc, they are talking about the HOURS of footage they have of arwen riding from the black riders, and in one of the clips they show, a black rider is right next to arwen and she is stabbing him repeatedly with her knife, go look!

Slightly off-topic but I'm really glad they left that part out. Arwen was NOT Xena, warrior-princess, and the Nazgul were made out to be enough of joke by the way Aragorn kicked five of their butts on Weathertop (one of them being the Witch-king!) Compared to their true power and menace in the books, they really got the short end of the stick in these movies. Oh, and then PJ completely turns that on its head by having the Witch-king mop the floor with Gandalf the White. Talk about a complete lack of consistency.

/end rant :P
This Space for Rent

I think the Weathertop sequence was very good in the film. Strider did light some of them on fire, which might've a bit much, but at least the fight (to me) was very focused on Strider scaring the Nazgul away rather than trying to match them physically. However, I do think that the people in the audience in the know would've been much happier if Frodo had invoked Elbereth Gilthoniel's name before Aragorn drove them off. After all, in the books Aragorn said Elbereth's name was much more deadly to the Witch-king than Frodo's Barrow Blade, so I think...

If the Wraiths were shaken from hearing Frodo's invocation, and if they didn't really have the heart to fight anyway as they believed their prize would soon be theirs thanks to Frodo getting stabbed with a Morgul blade, it would easily e xp lain them fleeing so quickly from the skirmish.

But yeah, Gandalf versus the Witch-king and *losing*... BS. Would've been just as awesome to see Gandalf facing off with the Witch-king with the call of the horn interrupting whatever battle they would've engaged in otherwise, as in the book.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Yeah, I get your point and that the movie audience wouldn't know any better. The idea was to get across that Aragorn was as good a protector for the hobbits as he said he was, but his overblown heroics in that scene, complete with dramatic pauses before torch-hurling, really undermined the Nazgul as a credible threat. To then see how powerful the WK is when dealing with Gandalf makes you wonder what they were thinking.

Ok, enough of that. :P
This Space for Rent

HAHAHAH i love xena mentions! shes been dead for nearly 10 years and can still come up in conversation!!! AHAHAHA

but i am also glad, arwen is NOT xena, that is not her character so it was good they cut it. so many wonderfully detailed and designed weapons dont get nearly enough screen time!

The unfortunate taste of reality concerning licensing fees brought this thread to mind immediately.

I doubt we will see any of these products listed here brought to market. When you consider the cost of licensing, then add the cost of manufacturing to them, it becomes apparent that production runs of less than 5000 are out of the question. A run of 1000 @ a retail price under $200 (a price I think MOST people find affordable) brings in less than $200K. Subtract the fees and costs and making a buck on each item has no appeal. :'(

Can you imagine how Peter Lyon feels about the Master Swordsmith Collection?
While he may have had the benefit of being "in the mix" to help him get a better deal, the four swords add up to 40 total @ $6000 = 240K. Now subtract the fees and royalty's $200K; he makes $40K, or $1000 per sword. My point is that PL isn't exactly living high off this. In his own words in the appendices he states that Narsil & similar swords take 3-5 days.

So lets assume 3 days. That's $333 per day / 8 hours = $42 per hour.
Skilled trade averages here in the States:
Plumber _ $70-85 per hour.
Electrician _ $55-65.
HVAC _ $50-60.
Trim Carpenter _ $45-50.
Rough Carpenters _ $25-35.

It's a sad taste of reality. :(
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Thranduil""]...I doubt we will see any of these products listed here brought to market. When you consider the cost of licensing, then add the cost of manufacturing to them, it becomes apparent that production runs of less than 5000 are out of the question..... Subtract the fees and costs and making a buck on each item has no appeal...
It's a sad taste of reality. :( [/quote]

Killjoy :'(

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

While I don't know the odd's that we'll see -these- pieces, we'll certainly be getting some more from UC for The Hobbit.

Royalties, sure, but the license is already bought and paid for. The longer UC -doesn't- produce items the more money they lose. The license no doubt runs out eventually, especially if they're not making anything new. Not to mention LOTR and The Hobbit are two different licenses, which means they're going to want to drum up some support for The Hobbit license...

And while you might argue The Hobbit could go to any company, there's no reason to think UC wouldn't get it. No other company has successfully made LOTR swords, and when it comes to movie replica blades, I can't think of another company that's been more successful.

The specifics of my comments pertain to these LOTR items listed on this pole.
The Hobbit will indeed offer new items, and also regenerate the production of Sting and Glamdring, and perhaps the Staff of Gandalf the gray.

UC and other facilities set up for mass production will renew their licenses, but having a license pertains to individual items not a "across the board" free for all to make anything they choose.

Guthwine tops this list for desire but numbers 25, add that to other forums and UC can clearly see there isn't enough demand for making it. If they counted 1000 people e xp ressing a desire for it they'd probably make it.

[quote=""Thranduil""]
The Hobbit will indeed offer new items, and also regenerate the production of Sting and Glamdring, and perhaps the Staff of Gandalf the gray.[/quote]

well not the staff that noble made but his earlier staff that he holds his pipe in. He loses the "pipe staff" when he battles saruman
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”