Haldir's sword

hey, im new here and i know this thread is dead but i emailed UC about this and they aid they they've gotten multiple email of late regarding the sword and would bring it up in a meeting this month about putting it into production. just letting yall know.
sorry if its been mentioned

Re: Haldir's sword

I'm so getting that sword. Although I haven't even seen the sword yet, lol.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]I'm so getting that sword. Although I haven't even seen the sword yet, lol.[/quote]

Hahahaha, you're in for an ultra-nice surprise then!

Also would be getting one of these if they put it in production- it's got the stylishness of Hadhafang, and the powerful look of the Elven war sword all put into one blade :)

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

They cannot make Haldir's Sword --not yet! Got that ????

If you're going to ping UC to make anything LOTR you ping 'em to make Guthwine.
Guthwine FIRST, and if there's any stainless steel left over, THEN they can make Haldir's sword. But not before.

No Sword of Haldir until they make Guthwine! Them's the rules! See? ;)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

E-mailing them now, Deimos. If they make Haldir's sword first, it's a crime.

Everyone, I think it's time we start telling UC what we want.

customerservice@unitedcutlery.com

I intend to continue e-mailing them until they block my address. While I'd love to see Haldir's sword, I'm sick of them releasing pieces that are on screen for mere moments and have little to no significance. Granted, this one is a little closer to the fans, it's still not right.
Last edited by GuardianWolf on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""GuardianWolf""] ...I'm sick of them releasing pieces that are on screen for mere moments and have little to no significance. Granted, this one is a little closer to the fans, it's still not right.[/quote]

You think wanting Haldir's sword is bad... I've been an ardent Aiglos hopeful for years (sure, Aiglos is a legendary weapon in the books and all, but in the films you don't even know who that Elf guy is in the beginning with that big spear that you see for a split second, let alone that it's Aiglos!) :P

But I certainly think both swords would sell well. I think because they're the coolest swords in their respective cultures and eras.

Guthwine has that great asymmetrical guard, nice (literal!) twist on the horse imagery, and Haldir's has all those things I mentioned I liked about it earlier.

[quote=""Valkrist""]:

instead of more Weathertop daggers or the MC Rusty Meat Cleaver. :P [/quote]

I've never forgiven u lot for having me on like that :| :)

Well Either will do for me so long as Haldirs sword has A HAND FORGED BLADE. Please UC if your watching please put a hand forged blade on for the UK market
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Don't get me wrong, if Haldir's sword came out and it was up to par with Hadhafang, I'd probably get it. I'm a fan of this idea.

However, the fact that we saw Sam's sword come out first? A piece that -no- one asked for and has no significances to the story in any way? Hell, the promotional pictures showed Sam holding -Sting-, not the Weathertop sword. And Isildur's sword which, fine is decent looking, but I don't really remember anyone asking for it.

And what really bugs me is that Gimli's bearded axe and Guthwine were in the works at the same time (if memory serves me) and they came out with the bearded axe, even though Gimli's axes are the pieces that sell for the cheapest amount on any site.

I plan to pick up the bearded axe eventually, as well as Haldir's if it's ever made. It's just bothersome that UC seems to be completely ignoring the fans (their only customers in a tough industry) and just releasing pieces randomly. Even if they never made Guthwine, I'd rather see them paying attention to -some- of our requests.

Oh, I'll also buy the Rusty Meat Cleaver. Because come on, a piece -that- important? I need to have it on my wall. :P

[quote=""Valkrist""]I'm split on this one (ducks for cover from GW.) :huh:

I want Guthwine, but I also love Haldir's sword. I'll be happy to get either at this point instead of more Weathertop daggers or the MC Rusty Meat Cleaver. :P [/quote]

Bah! I forgot... i'll have to email them back...

1. RMC
2. Orcrist
3. Guthwine
4. Haldir's

In that order! :thumbs_up

well, ya know kit said in one of the other topics that he was supposed to begin working on the sword of Haldir and then it was canceled....

so if another sword is to be made, i am sure they will pick up where they left off, with Haldirs sword....

and actually i would like to see haldir's sword before guthwine also.....hahahaha sorry guys! i love the elven weapons!!!

lets just wait and see what goes down fingers crossed for haldir's lol
also i didnt wanna start a new thread and throught id hi-jack this one. is there any where were you can get functional lotr weapons?
ive seen on ebay this asian shop that has some with clips of them cutting junk with their swords, but im pretty weary of them doing it once and it lasts but do it again and it'll break.
thanks

[quote=""Sedhal""]What's with the Orcrist talk. It hasn't even been designed yet. How would they make it :huh: [/quote]

I think people are just getting ahead of themselves in the wishful-thinking department. Besides, with the possibility of a fixed-to-the-plaque Orcrist coming our way, this dream will quickly turn into a nightmare.
This Space for Rent

Well, in the latest news the first Hobbit related product to be released will be the highly coveted Dwarf #5 Axe Handle. WB has decided that along with not allowing weapons to be removed from their displays, they also don't want to weigh down their movie with names. Also, any character determined to be non-essential will not have an actual weapon, and instead will only be shown holding the handle of their weapon. This is to save on the cost of an already e xp ensive movie as well as ensure that young children's emulations of their favorite heroes (in this case Dwarf #5) will only involve handles of weapons and not the weapons themselves. Of course the Dwarf #5 Axe Handle will be securely mounted to its display in order to doubly ensure this.

Orcrist is currently not being planned, but its scabbard should be in production shortly.

So I did some googling, and found some pics of haldir's sword, and man, it does look nice. Looks alot more brutish than both other elven weapons, which is usually a good thing for me.

And Guardian Wolf, how do you know they're not listening to fans? Could be a hundred requests for haldir's sword for every one for guthwine. I must say, that I would like haldir's sword first, but I surely do hope they will cough up some guthwines. =P

And about sam's sword, one thing is to release the MC version, but a regular version too? Looks like some kind of stylized butter knife.

As for functional LOTR swords, there are a few being made. Peter Lyon, the guy who smithed the actual prop swords, recently made 10 or so strider's swords, fully functional. I know there are also a few private folks who make some more or less functional rip offs.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]Well, in the latest news the first Hobbit related product to be released will be the highly coveted Dwarf #5 Axe Handle. WB has decided that along with not allowing weapons to be removed from their displays, they also don't want to weigh down their movie with names. Also, any character determined to be non-essential will not have an actual weapon, and instead will only be shown holding the handle of their weapon. This is to save on the cost of an already e xp ensive movie as well as ensure that young children's emulations of their favorite heroes (in this case Dwarf #5) will only involve handles of weapons and not the weapons themselves. Of course the Dwarf #5 Axe Handle will be securely mounted to its display in order to doubly ensure this.

Orcrist is currently not being planned, but its scabbard should be in production shortly.[/quote]

Please please say your joking :|
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Yes. It was a joke. Though in hindsight we shouldn't joke..they might take it as serious requests.

Mostly we get the impression that they don't listen to fans based on several factors.

Their website and communication with customers is varied at best, but generally borders on the apathetic. Granted, no company gives solid information all the time, we tend to hear about UC releases shortly before they end up at the stores. Usually we hear from dealers that are told about it by UC. We, the end customers, never hear from UC themselves.

Kit Rae has come on here and has said that the decisions on what to release are based on prior sales. While this probably isn't the sole reason, it's not a great indicator. People will buy Sting, but not Sam's sword even though they're both hobbit swords.

Sam's sword itself was the greatest insult to the fans. It's an obscure item that no one asked for. That's not an exaggeration; I don't think anyone ever directly asked or even implied that having the Weathertop swords would be cool. Add to that that there were quite a few other pieces like Haldir's sword that fans were frothing at the mouth for?

I'm no business-type fellow, but it seems to me that UC basically runs in the collectible industry. That being the case, they really seem intent to drive themselves into the ground. Prime example is to check out someplace like Sideshow Collectibles. They're not going -anywhere-. And it's definitely due to their communication with fans.

While it's no secret that I want to see Guthwine released, I'd be satisfied just to see something come out of UC that we asked for. Haldir's sword is a step in the right direction.

Although Haldir's sword would be nice I would still like to see them first produce a version of Gandalf the grey's staff either pre or post Isengard and of course Guthwine to round off the Rohan collection. Theoden's helmet is also high on my list of wanted items along with Sauron's mace that would be an awesome one.

My opinion is that they should stick with named items from the books and movies like:
  • The great horn of Gondor that Boromir carried
  • Gandalf the Grey's staff (pre-Isengard with the pipe would be epic)
  • Gúthwinë
  • Theoden's helmet
  • Sauron's mace (finish the Sauron collection!)
  • Aeglos Gil-Galad's spear (i know it's not that important in the movies but to the books and history it is very important. and it is different from the swords)
In UC defense however they did produce the Morgul Knife which is something that is important to the story and if you look at the books and not just the movies I can see where producing the rest of the hobbits swords come into consideration. The swords were found in the Barrow-downs in the misadventure with Tom Bombadil and in the books they were given names and all had roles to play in the story. Not big ones mind you, but still they were mentioned. But to agree with what was said earlier there are far more important items that have yet to be produced.

Anyway if UC wants to produce random items that have not been asked for and can not be identified (like a rusty meat cleaver :thumbs_up ) then perhaps they should go for the red arrow. (i'll leave it to you to figure out)

[quote=""dpegasusm""]
In UC defense however they did produce the Morgul Knife which is something that is important to the story and if you look at the books and not just the movies I can see where producing the rest of the hobbits swords come into consideration. The swords were found in the Barrow-downs in the misadventure with Tom Bombadil and in the books they were given names and all had roles to play in the story. Not big ones mind you, but still they were mentioned. But to agree with what was said earlier there are far more important items that have yet to be produced. [/quote]
But in the movies, the hobbits' swords aren't Barrow blades; they're just rusty old swords that Aragorn had lying around that he distributes to them when they arrive at Weathertop.

EDIT: Which is why it is just silly in my view to create even more Weathertop hobbit swords. The movies are what they're making replicas from, and the swords in the movies are decrepit, pitted, non-magical little things- not red, rustless, enchanted swords with Numenorian inscriptions on them.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Totally agree. There are definitely more important items for UC to produce i just wanted to point out that if you look at the books they were far more significant than shown in the movies.

EDIT: UC should stick to swords that the collectors want to see and those that are in both the books and the movies and not ones that they created only for the movies. (Sorry Hadhafang)
Last edited by dpegasusm on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Point taken, and I totally agree with you that UC ought to make Theoden's helmet and everything else from your list.

Aiglos would be so fantastically wonderful... I hear that it was the most difficult weapon for Peter Lyon to make for the films, and the audience barely even gets a glimpse of it, let alone of the wonderful inscription along the head.

Same here. Among all those beautiful weapons that was the one that surprised me and caught my eye the most, 2nd only to Anduril. Luckily they had them both in the same corner of the exhibit so I hung around there most of the time I was there, turning around every 5 minutes to look at each one again and again. :)
-_-

Ever since catching a glimpse of it in the movies, I've always dreamed of owning Aeglos (yes, it is alternatively spelled Aiglos, but I prefer the 'e' version.) Anyhow, you can see it again briefly in Rivendell, in the same hall that houses the Shards of Narsil. Both Aeglos and Gil-galad's shield are there.

Aeglos would look fantastic displayed in a home, set horizontally and majestically above other mounted elven blades and the elven shield. UC could easily manufacture and ship something that long by making the shaft two pieces that screw onto one another, just like they did with the wizard staves. Alas, for something that only got a couple of split-seconds of screen time, I doubt we will ever see Aeglos made, no matter how important it is to the history of Middle-earth. :(
This Space for Rent

Speaking of Elven shields, Gil-Galad's shield is absolutely stunning as well.

As is his armor.

But Aiglos... Mmmmmmmm... *e-mails United Cutlery*

(Actually, does anyone have a good pic of the head of that wonderful spear? I've seen a few drawings and a pic of part of the head, but not one of the entire pointy end)

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules/ ... -galad.jpg

that is the best action shot that i know about. but it doesn't do it justice. the lighting was so dim at the Boston MOS that i didn't get any good pictures of it.

and i am actually serious about the emailing united cutlery part. if we make enough noise then they have to listen (or blacklist us) right?
Last edited by dpegasusm on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of how Hadhafang is displayed on a base instead of a plaque. It would've been so much nicer if it had been displayed similar to the Elven Warrior Sword. I think the base takes a lot away from the overall look of the sword.

Agreed. Trying not to get ahead of myself - this sword is just a rumoured possibility for now - but I hope Hadfhang remains the first and last stand-style display UC used for the LOTR collection. It's much easier to find wall space than it is to find a long enough shelf, mantelpiece, or table in a good spot to display a blade on a stand.
This Space for Rent

I converted my Hadhafang display to go on the wall by drilling new holes in the sides of the blade supports.
(Btw, if anyone considers doing this you need to realize these plaques are made of medium density fiber board and NOT real wood; it will split wide open without proper pre-drilling.)

I had intended on making real wood plaques for all my pieces and improving on this display piece with custom blade holders that mounted the same as the originals but would be 90 degree to plaque base; but ultimately ed convinced me of eliminating all plaques in my display. (So I'll blame him for all negative remarks ;) ).
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Well, luckily I have a fireplace and Hadhafang looks perfect sitting right above it, but that's about all the room I have for that sort of display. And yes, I know it's bad to have these swords near heat sources (the wooden handle can crack and split) but it sits fairly high up, and the overhang of the mantelpiece protects it further. When the fireplace is on, I've never noticed the blade or handle to get warm at all.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Thranduil""]I had intended on making real wood plaques for all my pieces .... but ultimately ed convinced me of eliminating all plaques in my display. [/quote]

(A bit off topic but...) Thranduil, what sort of backdrop to your weapons display are you considering? Plain wall?

Many of the display pics posted by members show light colored walls.
Don't know what color(s) your walls are, but I would think that except for the handles and hilts, the swords wouldn't show up very well against light colored walls, what with the blades being silver and all. (Obviously not talking about the Rusty Meat Cleaver here--that would probably contrast very nicely with white walls :thumbs_up .)

I have been thinking about doing some kind of overall backdrop to my (as yet to be hung up) collection.

I would love to put a 7'x10' (hxw) Map of Middle Earth as a backdrop, like a sort of wallpaper, but it would have to be really faint and muted, almost similar to a watermark on printing paper.
But I have no idea where to get something like that. Or maybe hire an artist to paint it on, like a water color . But that would be big bucks.

So what are you thinking about doing as a backdrop?

The easiest way ro do that would be to paint it yourself. It actually wouldn't be that hard to do either. Get a map of middle earth in black and white (something like the handdrawn one From the book would work best) and print it out on an overhead transparency then use a projector or a light source of some kind to blow the map up on your wall and trace it out with pencil (so you can erase). Then just paint within the lines with whatever color you like. Using a color a few shades darker to give it just a subtle washed our effect would look beautiful.

(too many art and design courses)

[quote=""dpegasusm""]The easiest way ro do that would be to paint it yourself. It actually wouldn't be that hard to do either. Get a map of middle earth in black and white ...and print it out on an overhead transparency then use a projector or a light source of some kind to blow the map up on your wall and trace it out with pencil (so you can erase). Then just paint within the lines with whatever color you like. Using a color a few shades darker to give it just a subtle washed our effect would look beautiful.
(too many art and design courses)[/quote]

Hey, thanks Dpegasusm. Never would have thought about doing it that way. :)

I'm not real artistic, but, like you say, using pencil allows for erasing.
Will be a long term project though...like all those other irons I have in the fire.

And thanks for the approval on the idea of the [muted] map as a backdrop. :)
I imagined it when I got my first LOTR swords and I also thought it would be a very beautiful effect.

And I still want to know what Thranduil has in mind for his display.

That sounds like an awesome idea, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I think you'd need a room like the Sistine Chapel to pull it off. The problem is, the collection for LOTR is so big (and still growing,) and with some of the items like the shields taking up so much real estate, that a lot of the details and areas of the map would be covered up, and that would be a crime.
Last edited by Valkrist on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Aye, a crime it would be. Perhaps do a full map of Beleriand and all of Middle Earth from Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth? That might do the trick, after all there's plenty of room in far Harad for second age gondorian shields, and I doubt Hildorien cares if it gets blocked up by a giant Sauron Helm....
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Valkrist""]That sounds like an awesome idea, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I think you'd need a room like the Sistine Chapel to pull it off. The problem is, the collection LOTR is so big (and still growing,) and with some of the items like the shields taking up so much real estate, that a lot of the details and areas of the map would be covered up, and that would be a crime.[/quote]

Killjoy.

However...HOWEVER.... I am not quite the ....ummmm.....fanatic (yes, we are ALL fanatics here) that many of the members are (I keep telling myself) and my collection will never rival yours or others' in sheer numbers of items.

You can see mine is mostly swords, a few daggers and an axe.
No helms or shields, no staffs (staves?), no banners.
I don’t have any desire for either the HEWS or Haldir’s sword (blasphemy, I know), and no interest at all in the bad guy weapons (note my gleaming and radiant halo).

Guthwine and Orcrist are must-haves, of course, so I have to fit them in, and perhaps some other interesting sword from the Hobbit, but that would be about it (so I keep telling myself).
Oh, and the Rusty Meat Cleaver...can't forget that little gem.

But no more Weathertop weapons (Sam's non MC sword will eventually be jettisoned --it was a gift).
So I am not overly concerned about running out of space.

Having said that, I am finishing a functional Mirkwood Bow and arrows (finally got the fletching colors right) and makng a quiver, and all of that will take up not a little more wallspace.

So, you are right -- I may have to wrap the display around two walls or move it to a longer wall, if only to be able to display the weapons AND the map to decent effect.

Or, Val, I may just take your suggestion literally and paint it on the ceiling and then hang my collection from it like so many Swords of Damocles.
(But then I probably wouldn’t get very many visitors in to admire it.....:crazy2 :)

But, as I said, it's along term project and no doubt will, in the end, differ from the original vision.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Aye, a crime it would be. Perhaps do a full map of Beleriand and all of Middle Earth from Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth? That might do the trick, after all there's plenty of room in far Harad for second age gondorian shields, and I doubt Hildorien cares if it gets blocked up by a giant Sauron Helm....[/quote]

Fin, you prove my point exactly about UCf members being fanatics....and you are, for the same reason, one of the most entertaining and likable members of the forums.

If I ever need information about Middle Earth, you and Val and Olorin are the go-to guys...and if Val and Olorin aren't careful, I think you may become THE resident ME scholar. ;)

Or you could just go the completely logical yet totally insane route and have a full castle and keep built next to your house to display everything in :D

Oh, and going back to Aiglos, I just watched Fellowship on Blu-Ray, and when it got to the Rivendell library scene, I saw it! Thanks for pointing me to that second cameo, Valkrist. That thing is HUGE!

It saddened me that it wasn't displayed reverently like Narsil was... But then I suppose in the films it was just Isildur cutting off Sauron's fingers that made him blow up, rather than Sauron being actually defeated in physical combat by both Elendil and Gil-Galad.

(Then again, maybe it was just too darn big to display and the Elves just said, "Aw, we'll never find a place to hang this properly. Just prop it up against the wall, Figwit."

I designed a 18x20 single room hobbit house to display my collection in, havnt built it yet mind you, but it is all done in the paper stage. The exterior looks like a small cottage from Brie while the interior takes on a more Rvendell feel. The outside walls are stone and it has a fireplace and bed along with a desk modeled after bilbo's. I call it the hobit house because of course it has a round door on the front with a doorknob in the center. If I can manage to move out of the apartment and get my own house it is gong to be built in the backyard. :thumbs_up

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”