UC1425 purchased from ebay

I recently purchased a UC1425 from ebay. It is #264 of 1000. I have couple of issues with the sword that I wanted to mention here hoping that someone with the same sword can shed some light on this for me. Here are the issues:

1. There is thin brownish film on the handles that is coming off in some areas but are intact on other areas. Is this how it's supposed to be? Is the brownish thin film normal?

2. The case does not have a plate #. My other UC Sting case had a # on the front of the case but this doesn't. The seller mentioned that some of the cases from UC did not have number plaque and this is normal.

3. Apparently the previous owner drilled 2 additional wholes on the back of the case for hanging the sword. Will these extra hole have an impact on the value of the sword and the case?
Any help or info is greatly appriciated. Thanks

Re: UC1425 purchased from ebay

Pics!

Toss up some pics and I'm sure we'll be able to tell you for sure whether or not your Glamdring is genuine.

As for 1.... Brownish film that is peeling does not sound like a good thing. The distressing job on the sword is not meant to have any bits of brown in it at all (although it creepily does have bits of grayish-blue thanks to the varnish they chose to coat it with), let alone peeling filmey stuff- maybe something funky happened to its storage conditions at one time?

2. I don't know about that one- I'm sure someone else here does.

3. If the holes are visible from the front, I would think that they might have an impact on the value of everything, but if you can only see them from the back of the case, they ought not to affect its overall value I should think.

But yeah, pics and we will know for certain. Lots of features the real deal has that all knockoffs lack. Pommel shape, rune width, finish, blade fuller.

EDIT: And yes, I did have to Google UC1425 to find out that that meant it was the MC Glamdring xD
Last edited by Jamanticus on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

A bit of reassurance, the only UC "knock-offs" I've ever seen in person or on the web have been very obviously fake. I'm not a business major, but making very well done knock-offs of LOTR swords is unlikely to be the goal of bootleggers. It's not cost effective.

That being said, you may have a piece that isn't in pristine condition. UC is known for having poor quality control. I've had at least one piece that was defective and had to send it back to the seller.

The brown film could be a result of any number of things. Perhaps a treatment the original owner put on there. I've heard of folks putting a layer of wax on their swords to form a moisture barrier.

I believe that is accurate for the cases. I know Glamdring had a number of problems as it was released during a time when UC was on the edge.

The value of any collectible item drops when it's changed. That being said, LOTR swords aren't exactly any higher than they were when they were released. MC and Limited # pieces are a bit more, but not astronomically. If you plan to resell it in the near future, you're best of letting potential buyers know about the holes, as it might be a factor to them, but they might not.

Hey there,
Sorry, I didn't see this or I would have commented as well. My feedback is as follows:

1. "Brownish film" on the handle sounds concerning. Definitely. I had an MC Glamdring and I can honestly say that I can't imagine what that would be. Like J-man said, pics would be good. I have seen pics of the regular of version UC1425 with that type of "peeling", and from what I could tell from exessive handling.

2. The numberless cases did occur, and yours is definitely not the only one. Again, pictures would be good.

Regarding your additional question: Let me answer with a question, does the blade have a serial number, and licensing info printed/engraved on it? It should have "# of 1000" on the blade, opposite side as the stitching on the leather. Did you recieve a certificate of authenticity? See the pic below for what the serial # should look like.

I hope this helps!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rough666 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

Rezar,
Originally I stated that the serial # was on the same side as the stitching on the handle but I have edited it as I remember now that it is on the opposite side as the stiching. This has been a topic of discussion, and a sore spot, for some. I for one hated that feature because you either get the serial # facing out, or the stitching.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

I'm not sure about every piece, but I know that the stitching/LOTR stamp isn't -always- on the same side. I'm sure more often than not it is, but I know on my Herugrim the stitching and stamp are on opposite sides. Annoying, sure, but it does give the sword a little character. ;) Not defective, just different.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”