Re: Holy c**p - UC were considering/making prototypes of these?!?!?

I don't think that's odd at all.

See how well Kit's swords sell? It's because they've got modern-ish tribal designs, spikes, and what-not. That's just what the average guy wants in a sword. A viking-like sword however, is less appealing to the general public, as the general public has different tastes than us.

I do find it strange that the elven swords didn't sell well however. Thought I was done with the LOTR line, but I think I'm gonna get my hands on those two. At least the HEWS. =)
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Overall the elven swords sold very well, probably the most popular category below the triumvirate of Anduril/Narsil, Sting, and Glamdring. It's just that once LOTR was done, the eleven pieces tapered off - except for that brief period of EWS craziness when they were not available for a year and the value went into space, then sales shot up briefly when production resumed. The Sauron pieces did very well. Gilmi axes sold OK slightly more than the Rohan swords. The two Rohan swords only did moderate sales even when the movies were still hot. I predicted this when we did them, though I still tried to squeeze in Guthwine before the I resigned from the old UC back in 2006. The numbers just were not there to do it.

I do still have detailed photos and measurements of the prop I sold :) Who knows. Maybe one day.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Possibly, but in my e xp erience movie knives and swords have always sold based on the overall coolness factor. Cool looks are very important, but the characters and how the weapons are used, as well as screen time, are primary factors. Secondary characters with weapons that have very little screen time are typically not going to be great sellers.

We may think they are worthy of a replica, but the majority of sales are to LOTR films fans who have little knowledge of the books or much of an education about sword history, and they just were not into the Rohan stuff as much as the other characters and swords that got more screen time in and out of battle.

There are always exceptions, such as Hadhafang. Even though it was barely on screen in the first film, it had a very sleek looking design that appealed to women who liked the character, and the LOTR sword collecting public. I think us sword folks liked the twist on familiar Japanese and middle eastern elements in the design. At least I did. I saw the photo of Arwen on her horse holding her sword when I was in the original meeting with new line back in '99. I did not even know who this character was supposed to be, but I knew that sword would sell. I assumed they had made one of the elven men from the book into a woman for the film. No idea that was Arwen at the time, but I knew the sword would be a hit. Same with the EWS.
KRDS

[quote=""Valkrist""]Kit, was there ever a plan or intent to make the elven dagger that was a companion to Hadhafang? Also, did the scabbards sell poorly, and is that the reason we got so few of them?[/quote]

Yes. All of those items at the start of this thread were in some form of development and had been approved by New Line. When UC changed ownership almost everything was canceled. By the time the new owners got everything sorted out, license had to be renewed, and then the momentum for the line was lost.
KRDS

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]I wish I cud get Hadhafang... stupid UK laws! :angry: [/quote]

Yup, that is ridiculously silly. There are tenfolds of other blades that are way more dangerous than a katana in unskilled hands. A rapier for example? Same thing, a sharp sword, but extremely light and fast.

Besides, those would be gangs are only using sharpened wallhangers anyway.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

hell,year darlak,**** laws,(say having a kitchenknife in your liveing room whiout ,a weapon permit is alligial)hahaha ,can you belive that.and ist tru .i read the rules,hahaha.damn rules.
any way to get back,into this thred.peronely i do care and then not.about a perfect made funktionel lotr sword.say i dont care who is making it as long as it is perfect.
im mutch more into history swords then. so and if ,and in the avalableites isues.
well albion might do the work here..

[quote=""dpegasusm""]I would love to get my hands on any of those items especially that mace to complete the dark lord sauron collection. ohhhhh what i would give to get that thing :P [/quote]

I totally agree! The mace is the one thing that they didn't produce that I really wanted, I wish they would have started the Sauron collection with that first! Hopefully someone else will pick up the license and produce it. :thumbs_up

Yeah, I would have bought that mace in a heartbeat had UC produced it. My preference would have been for a Sauron-scale version, but I would have settled for actor-scale. As is, it remains a big hole in my collection. :(

I wouldn't have bought the sword. I know Kit and many others here like it, but I don't. It seems too over the top, plus it was never used in the movie, aside from a brief glimpse of it on a weapon's rack in Minas Morgul. I think the prop was originally made for Sauron to use in his unused scene where he battles Aragorn at the Black Gate. Since the scene was discarded (thank God!!!), the prop became meaningless.
This Space for Rent

Ditto.

Still need Boromir's, Eowyn's, and Isildur's swords. I'm kinda meh on the Sam sword, but my OCD completionist side won't let me not buy it, so I'll have to scoop up the MC version at some point. Also need Gimli's Bearded and Walking Axes, the Gondor Shield and Helm, the Wiki Dagger and Mask, and the toughest of all cookies to find... Isildur's Helm.

I was planning on holding off on all this stuff until I got a bigger place with a room I could dedicate to all this, but I'm not so sure now since a lot of these items are extremely scarce already. As is, anything I pick up now will be going into storage. :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Ditto.

Still need Boromir's, Eowyn's, and Isildur's swords. I'm kinda meh on the Sam sword, but my OCD completionist side won't let me not buy it, so I'll have to scoop up the MC version at some point. Also need Gimli's Bearded and Walking Axes, the Gondor Shield and Helm, the Wiki Dagger and Mask, and the toughest of all cookies to find... Isildur's Helm.

I was planning on holding off on all this stuff until I got a bigger place with a room I could dedicate to all this, but I'm not so sure now since a lot of these items are extremely scarce already. As is, anything I pick up now will be going into storage. :huh: [/quote]

Wow. You have lots already and there is lots to acquire still... Planning to take out a second mortgage on the old homestead, or maybe just sell your firstborn male child? ;)

9/10 of my stuff is "in storage" (still boxed up in the walk-in closet).
Any books/DVDs/CDs are on bookshelves and some non-weapons stuff is on display, but anything that has to be hung on a wall ...isn't hung [yet].

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

hey val...I have isildur's helm... I need Elendil's

i also need boromir's, sting, sam's, ews, hadhafang, the gondorian shield, the latest of gimli's axes... i have the firs tone., narsil, isildur's sword, the urak hai scimitar, the white staff, the witchking helm, i guess... i never got sauron's... geez, I thought my collection was big, but i still need a lot of stuff!!!

I've added the "my collection" list at the bottom... I still need to go through my daggers from kit rae get the ones i didnt get... that list was from memory and looking around my room... but some of my stuff is in the closet or in another room
Last edited by BladeCollector on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""dpegasusm""]i need isildur's helm. ive seen a couple come up on "the site that shal not be named" but they are about $300 starting bid and never sell. the last one i saw sell was for about $250. ive got all other of the limited editon items except that one. other than that im not missing much else[/quote]

Meh, I'll sweat it out. This is one of the one's I need the most, but heck I buy just about everything from the site that shan't be named, so I'll wait until I actually have readily available spending money and go buy it for too much over there. :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I'm sure some items will sell out quicker than others, but I would e xp ect the remaining inventory to take a year or more to sell off. The license period was timed to end before the Hobbit came out, which as I recall was originally 2011, so UC likely planned to have stock to carry up to that period.

Dealers will probably start stock piling up now that they know UC won't be making new inventory, but that does not mean they will be selling out anytime soon.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I'm sure some items will sell out quicker than others, but I would e xp ect the remaining inventory to take a year or more to sell off. The license period was timed to end before the Hobbit came out, which as I recall was originally 2011, so UC likely planned to have stock to carry up to that period.

Dealers will probably start stock piling up now that they know UC won't be making new inventory, but that does not mean they will be selling out anytime soon.[/quote]

If this was Wall Street the SEC would be all over it. :coolsmile
Are we not blessed to have our honorable member or what? :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Thanks for the reassurance, Mr. Rae. Luckily I've recently landed a decent job so I can actually afford a sword every now and then, but I still don't have enough to buy up the rest of the swords I want immediately. If I have a few months, I'll definitely be able to do it though.

I am a bit paranoid this will end up just like the UC is going Bankrupt scare we had. I bought three swords or so when that news cropped up because I was certain they'd never come back. :P

I wish that UC had released one more grouping of swords. Since they usually offered 4 at a time, I would like to have seen Guthwine, Merry's Weathertop sword, Pippin's Weathertop sword (except for those 2 hobbits, UC produced a weapon for every member of the Fellowship) and finally, the Sword Of Sauron.

I think that a grouping like that would have brought some nice sales for them (especially Guthwine).

I don't recall Tolkien describing what Sauron wielded during the battle of the Last Alliance. It could have been a sword; it could have been a mace. I find the mace much more likely and an excellent choice on PJ's part because there is a very important precedent in Middle-earth's history for it, and with the name of Fingolfin, you should remember it well:

Morgoth, Sauron's master, wielded Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, which was not actually a 'hammer',' but a mace of enormous size. It would only make sense that his pupil in all things, Sauron, would seek to emulate and honour his master in this fashion by forging a mace to take into combat as well. In view of this, the sword makes far less sense. Further to that, though neither weapon is mentioned in the books, at least the mace makes it official "movie-canon." The sword was only intended for a scene that was thankfully discarded, and I say thankful because it was a brutal and needless departure from the book.
This Space for Rent

You know, I never understood why the Rohan blades were such slow sellers. They are amongst my favorites. I love the use of the horse heads in the guards, especially on Eowyn's sword. But, that's just my personal taste. Obviously, that puts me among those who would have loved to see Guthwine's sword!

I would have liked to see Sauron's sword made as well, but I doubt it would have been a fast seller either, even at the the peak of LOTR weapons popularity.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""Steel Servant""]You know, I never understood why the Rohan blades were such slow sellers. They are amongst my favorites. I love the use of the horse heads in the guards, especially on Eowyn's sword. But, that's just my personal taste. Obviously, that puts me among those who would have loved to see Guthwine's sword!

I would have liked to see Sauron's sword made as well, but I doubt it would have been a fast seller either, even at the the peak of LOTR weapons popularity.[/quote]

I had always imagined a section of my wall with a Rohan banner, flanked by Herugrim & Theodred's sword on one side and Guthwine & Eowyn's sword on the other.

As to the Sauron sword, I would say that, based on the responses of several collectors that I have shown/sent a pic to, it would have had some pretty decent sales. Of course, why would UC have produced Sauron's sword when they could release something like Gimli's Bearded Axe? :crazy2:

[quote=""Jamie Shakespeare""]Just thought I'd throw the rest of the concepts from that video on here, for you to dream of :) [/quote]

Wait, what? I'm sorry for my ignorance, I tried looking back in this thread, but is that UC's concept art for Grima's dagger? Did UC actually consider producing it?
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”