Re: Holy c**p - UC were considering/making prototypes of these?!?!?

I'm not with Val on this (for the... second time in history?)

I get the bitterness toward it due to the context in which it would appear in the film, but that never happened so it's unfair to hate the sword/design itself since it was never really a part of what it should never really be faulted for. And even though it wasn't in the film, neither was Orcrist. And SO many people have been calling for that (and that hadn't even been designed yet, unlike Sauron's sword). I don't think, personally, it's so important whether or not it was used in the film. It just adds to that mythology and depth in the films that extend beyond the frame of the movies. I could even say that it's that much more desirable since it was never actually used. There's already been some fascination with Theodred's sword and that wasn't used either. Nor was the sword Gandalf had on his trip to visit Sauruman.

This sword was designed by the same people that designed all of the swords we love, for a character that definitely would have had at least one sword at his disposal at one point or another in physical form (and should he ever muster the power to return again, he would surely have more than one weapon waiting to choose from). So whether or not it was used, or for whatever scene it was intended to appear, that's largely irrelevant to me when considering the depth of the story's universe itself. I don't know about you, but I can't help but entertain the idea of wandering the tower of Barad-Dûr and marvel at all the cool stuff that must be in there. Surely there's a sword in there somewhere that Sauron would use if he could (alongside many other types of weapons), and the best part is: it has actually been conceived and designed by the filmmakers. And I think the design is great. So for me, there's plenty of reason to appreciate it.
-_-

Well, I really wouldn't care if it were a sword that had made it into the movie or not. If it were designed by those who had designed other weapons and art from the stories or the movie, they all have that Middle Earth spirit to them. Personally, if they made Sauron's sword, I would definitely add it to my collection. I guess I stand more with Sed on this one. But, I see where Val is coming from. I guess it depends on if you're a purist strictly to the films or not. He's just more passionate about the point than some others might be. It's all in your view point.

......and what happened to the post with the pictures? Did someone delete it?
Last edited by Steel Servant on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""Steel Servant""]......and what happened to the post with the pictures? Did someone delete it?[/quote]
Page 16, post #2 of this thread, fourth photo. :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Page 16, post #2 of this thread, fourth photo. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Guess I didn't look back far enough. Thanks Thrandy.

Let's face it, if we all were to be made happy, every weapon from the movies, the books, and any imagined by the creative minds of such would be produced. Oh...but I only dream.

Well, I only hope "The Hobbit" sparks enough interest to get some new items produced in the future.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Yep, we know this and have discussed it before. This is not the first or second thread where Sauron's sword has been discussed.

However, in that scene, the sword is just another prop in the background. It is not being used in the correct context for which it was created, therefore it is not really "Sauron's sword." I hardly think the Dark Lord would leave his weapon languishing in some armoury in Minas Morgul. Nope, that thing would be well secured in Barad-dur.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yep, we know this and have discussed it before. This is not the first or second thread where Sauron's sword has been discussed.

However, in that scene, the sword is just another prop in the background. It is not being used in the correct context for which it was created, therefore it is not really "Sauron's sword." I hardly think the Dark Lord would leave his weapon languishing in some armoury in Minas Morgul. Nope, that thing would be well secured in Barad-dur.[/quote]

Perhaps he ran out of cookies to reward his ringwraiths with, and just gave the his sword instead =P
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”