Re: UC Museum Editions

The Museum Collection editions of Sting and Glamdring are very different from the unlimited versions structurally.

They're actual swords, first off (not the best craftsmanship nor balance, granted), unlike the rest of UC's LotR products (excepting the Uruk-hai weapon). They've got full tangs, spring steel blades.

They've also got slightly different dimensions than the unlimited wallhangers; Glamdring's fuller gets wider and goes all the way into the crossguard instead of just staring a centimeter away from the guard being a constant width on the unlimited version for example. The pommel is more pointed and the runes on the guard are thinner.

A pic of the differences:

With Sting, the engraving on the blade is actually etched, as opposed to just printed.

Comparison:

For going rates, Glamdring has been recently in the $1000-1600 range (depending on condition), and Sting has... Erm, haven't been paying much attention. I *think* around the $450-550 range, but I'm not completely sure.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

I hate you so much right now...those pictures! :crazy:

I really wish that I would've bought the Sting MC back when it was less e xp ensive, the more I look at my UL version the more I love the sword! The price is just out of my range now, and with Rivendell on the horizon...I just can't do it. :'(
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Jamanticus""]The Museum Collection editions of Sting and Glamdring are very different from the unlimited versions structurally.

They're actual swords, first off (not the best craftsmanship nor balance, granted), unlike the rest of UC's LotR products (excepting the Uruk-hai weapon). They've got full tangs, spring steel blades.

They've also got slightly different dimensions than the unlimited wallhangers; Glamdring's fuller gets wider and goes all the way into the crossguard instead of just staring a centimeter away from the guard being a constant width on the unlimited version for example. The pommel is more pointed and the runes on the guard are thinner.

A pic of the differences:

With Sting, the engraving on the blade is actually etched, as opposed to just printed.

Comparison:

For going rates, Glamdring has been recently in the $1000-1600 range (depending on condition), and Sting has... Erm, haven't been paying much attention. I *think* around the $450-550 range, but I'm not completely sure.[/quote]

So Jamantius, since you now officially have your Glamdring ordered through Weta, you going to sell me your MC version? :huh:

[quote=""Alexander""]Jamanticus, thank you for the pics and e xp lanation. I see a museum edition in my future.[/quote]

I hope that it's not the Sword of Samwise MC! :P

And for that matter, I hope you see a winning lottery ticket as well. :crazy:

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I hope that it's not the Sword of Samwise MC! :P ....[/quote]

Permit me a momentary digression here....

Fin, your reference to the MC SoS made me think of something.

UC said its LOTR line is ended. So does that mean the [Amon Sul] Hobbit Swords, either the MC versions or the UL Weathertop versions are ended as well?

So the collections of either group consists of just one sword, i.e., Sam's? If so, that's some "collection". :rolleye:

Not that it matters to me. Not impressed with any of them or even the concept of them, MC or UL versions....never should have wasted the money on my UL SoS. (Which is why I keep trying to unload it) :P

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Good luck finding yourself an MC Sting, Alexander. :thumbs_up

Actually, Deimos, I kind of like my SoS UL version. Sure it's not top-notch quality, but it's fairly balanced for a short sword and I think it looks nice next to Sting. Now granted, I paid like 90 bucks plus shipping for SoS and the Sting Scabbard (one hell of a bargain) from Derek Smith, so I'm not really eating too much money.

As for the Weathertop Collection; yeah, some collection. ppshh. That's the only thing I would've wanted out of UC, was to at least finish that line so we have representation of the whole Fellowship, but oh well. I guess I'll just have to buy more SS/W pieces to fill that gap...shucks! :D

[quote=""N2darkness""]So Jamantius, since you now officially have your Glamdring ordered through Weta, you going to sell me your MC version? :huh: [/quote]
If there is no LE of Glamdring then Jaman has an example of a complete set when he gets his MSSC.
If you sell that MC version Jaman, make sure you do it in person so you can kneel before N2 and he can dub the Sir Idiot. :horseback
IMO having a complete set adds value to the other versions and breaking up the set isn't wise.
(Hint hint) :coolsmile
Sorry N2. I realize I may have spoiled that purchase for you.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Fingolfin""]...
Actually, Deimos, I kind of like my SoS UL version. Sure it's not top-notch quality, but it's fairly balanced for a short sword and I think it looks nice next to Sting. ... :D [/quote]

It's a nice sword, true, and that's the problem. It's pedestrian, unimpressive. I'm not going to reiterate the tale of how the Hobbit swords should be the wonderfully wrought daggers of Westerness...been down that road already. But that is honestly why I really have no interest in them.

That being said, SoS is shiny which I like and it is a good length and feels pretty good....just doesn't look the way it ought, dammit! :angry:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”