Re: UC 1454 Gondorian Shield - Paint Defect

Not sure what I'm supposed to look at in the closeup shot, but in the first picture, I can see that there is a large smear of white paint to the left of the top of the crown.

Another great example of UC's shoddy quality control. As for the impact on collector's value, I would say it is quite possible there is some, though I can't say how much. Some folks are more particular than others. To use a personal example, I am missing this Gondorian Shield from my collection still but if you had shown me this picture and warned me of the defect prior to making the sale, I would not buy it.
This Space for Rent

Ok, my bad... upon close inspection, I see now what was staring me right in the face to begin with: there are large paint smears on the left side of the photo, where the design flows from one shield plank to the next.

Wow, that is truly horrible. I'm sure the paint was applied or silk-screened on by a machine, but is there no one standing around to see this kind of stuff? And if yes, to then still allow it to pass the check and let it get boxed and sold? Deplorable, to say the least. :|
This Space for Rent

I'd be pretty cheesed off if I had gotten that piece and it wasn't sold to me as a known manufacturer defective piece or "factory second." Now as far as collector's value, I think it would affect is some, but I have no idea how much, especially now that there are some that are still available for sale, but after they are all gone, aftermarket value is all based on what someone will pay. If you sold that piece on ebay for 500 dollars, than I guess its worth 500.

I would potentially buy something like that, only if I needed it for my collection (which I do) and there were none available from retailers (which there are some) but I wouldn't pay for it what I could get, but if was told about the defects, I would consider it, if it was my only option.

That's surprising! Considering that the Gondorian/Arnorian (sorry, my inner purist showing) Shields are meant to have a little wear and tear on them, the paint job on mine is excellent. I have no complaints with mine, it's beautiful. It's a shame to see that UC let this one pass inspection.

As for collector's value, I agree with BC. This will be worth however much someone will pay for it. I know that there are still some out there, Bladecenter has them and I bet Derek could get his hands on one.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Where did you purchase the shield from? I ask because with the fact that these shields were produced prior to UC going bankrupt and are no longer being produced, you might have been sold a shield from a defective lot. I know that a lot of UC stuff was dumped onto the market when they were going under.
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.

[quote=""FotR TT RotK""]
Rough666, what kind of silk screen issue did your shield have? Worse or better?[/quote]

The print was screened, then it looked like the shield was slightly moved and screened again. It was printed double just ever so slightly off. I got rid of it and got a new one.

[quote=""Montagar""]Where did you purchase the shield from? I ask because with the fact that these shields were produced prior to UC going bankrupt and are no longer being produced, you might have been sold a shield from a defective lot. I know that a lot of UC stuff was dumped onto the market when they were going under.[/quote]

THat's not true. Approximately 900 were produced prior to bankrupcy, and the rest were produced with the new UC. That is why the price went from $500 - $900 in 2007/early 2008, to the current price of $150 - $250.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

Rough, when you say you got rid of your first one, how exactly did you do that? Did you return it to your first seller for a refund citing defects in worksmanship as a reason, or did you just bite the bullet and sold it privately? Also, did you buy your second shield from the same place you got your first one?

I want to get this shield for my collection, but now I'm getting the jitters as it's not the first or second times I've heard of problems with it. Like you, I'm in Canada, so the only option in getting UC stuff these days is by shipping from the States, and doing returns can become an e xp ensive headache. :|
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Rough, when you say you got rid of your first one, how exactly did you do that? Did you return it to your first seller for a refund citing defects in worksmanship as a reason, or did you just bite the bullet and sold it privately? Also, did you buy your second shield from the same place you got your first one?

I want to get this shield for my collection, but now I'm getting the jitters as it's not the first or second times I've heard of problems with it. Like you, I'm in Canada, so the only option in getting UC stuff these days is by shipping from the States, and doing returns can become an e xp ensive headache. :| [/quote]

By "getting rid...", I mean selling on ebay. I took many pictures of the shield from many angles so the buyer knew what the "defects" were. I sold it and got positive feedback from the transaction. I then purchased from Smith Blades. My first transaction was also on ebay from another collector, but I paid a high price as my first was from the original production run (pre-bankrupcy) and the shields were super-rare. Kinda' like the EWS were at one point. The one I have now is from the "new" UC.

If I remember correctly, you will not buy/sell on ebay??? I'm just throwing this out there (not promoting this dealer), but I have bought from this dealer before and I know they are legit, and a really great price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gondorian-Shield-Go ... 5641ca09bd

I'm not sure how you could guarantee it "defect-free" without opening the box and removing it from the extensive packaging.

Val, I can guarantee you that it is by far the most commented on piece that I have displayed, and my personal favorite item I have besides my MC Sting. Even people that think I'm a 30 year old nerd like the shield! ;)

PS - We only live 4 hours apart!

[quote=""CommanderZodd""]After checking around I have found that the stars are gold on the Weta shield and in the movie.[/quote]

UC's version has silver stars, but by the original prop you are correct, Commander. Just to be clear, the silver stars on the UC prop are not a defect. Can you imagine the outcome if the factory that did the print on the UC version tried to do a two color print?!? :| Would have been a nice touch, but risky as far as defects...getting back to the actual topic of this thread.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”