Collection Suggestions?

Okay, firstly, I'm new. I've never dabbled in forums but I've been scanning this a lot the past few days. So if I've done something wrong in creating this, I apologize. :|

So, let me get straight to the point. I recently graduated and received a nice little sum of money from the relatives and such. My LotR replica collection is abysmal in comparison to those I've seen on the site and I like to e xp and, if only a little. I have been strongly considering the Sword of Samwise MC but I was wondering if any of you would have further suggestions or cautions.

Re: Collection Suggestions?

Well, here's an update to any of those who might be interested in helping me. I have also looked at the following:

Fighting Knives of Legolas - The handles seem interestingly formed as though they would be comfortable to hold. Though, the conflict of their color lessens my enthusiasm.
Strider's Ranger Sword - It doesn't appear aesthetically interesting at first glance and is not at the top of my list but I've seen some positive feedback in this site.
Herugrim - I like the leather grip and I'm somewhat interested by the designs of the "crossguard" but it's not my absolute favorite aspect.
Glamdring - Beautiful blade. I would likely get the scabbard to accompany this. But my hesitation comes with the very distinct blueish grip. (I could never swing the MC version)
Anduril - Well, it's cool, isn't it? And I'd like to get a scabbard if I purchased this but it, too, is a little e xp ensive. Sure, I like the handle, but... I'm not sure it's my favorite. I think I just prefer the smaller handle of Glamdring but no decisions yet!

I'd really appreciate your input! :thumbs_up

The very first swords in my LOTR collection were Hadhafang (gorgeous sword), Sting, and Glamdring. Followed swiftly by Anduril. Herugrim is wonderful too, but quite short when compared to the others. Personally, I would recommend you start with Glamdring or Sting purely based on their elvish backgrounds and importance to both the Hobbit and LOTR.
And welcome! :)

I never thought it was overpoweringly blue. It's a nice steely blue. The white scabbard is really white. I think the blue scabbard looks better with it. If you are going to display it with the scabbard, don't display it inside the scabbard because that isn't good for the blade. Have it on the wall beside the sword as an alternative.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... 58/nat.jpg (no flash)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... itetop.jpg (outside in bright sun)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/A ... nghilt.jpg (inside)

Thank you so much, Arwyniel! The pictures helped a lot and the bit about displaying it. The lighting seems to make a big difference when looking at it; it's really beautiful.

Curunir, I checked eBay, (I've kept my eye out of MC pieces, Sting included) but the cheaper of the two listed is $900. A little more that I'd like. :P But one thing about MCs that I love is the aged look, particularly in Sam's sword. I don't understand why people don't like it as much, there are fewer pieces (600) and I think the blade looks neat. Maybe that's just me.

People don't like it because 1) No one really wanted it, 2) There were other swords that we've been begging for and 3) It's not really a "Museum Collection" piece, because it looks that way in the film. There's nothing particularly special or different about it. It also didn't come the way that the other MC pieces did.

All that aside, I still like mine. It just shouldn't have been considered MC. They also should have made Guthwine, Faramir's Sword, and Haldir's Sword before this one.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Captain Ember""]
Curunir, I checked eBay, (I've kept my eye out of MC pieces, Sting included) but the cheaper of the two listed is $900. A little more that I'd like. :P [/quote]

Just keep checking it from time to time. They pop up every now and then and yeah, those prices are a bit high.

[quote=""Nazgûl""]I would highly recommend buying the MC Sam if you like the style. Best aged look of all the UC swords in my opinion. Many people seem not to like it, but what matters is if you like it. It's your money. =)[/quote]

Thank you! :thumbs_up

Also, I suppose I should let you all know, I ordered a Glamdring. ^_^ I'm looking forward to it but my ambition for an interesting collection is by no means diminished.

What do you guys think about Gimli's Battle axe vs. the Walking Axe?
The battle axe is, of course, most featured in the movies (or so I'd imagine) and that makes it more recognizable.
But the walking axe has a lot of detail/features not exhibited on the battle axe. It's blade is thick and it, too, seems powerful.

Do any of you have these pieces?

The walking ax is heavy, the battle ax weighs a ton, and both have inferior shafts in relation to their weight. Once in hand, just about everyone agrees that swing either would be risky at the very least.
I haven't got the bearded ax yet, but I want to eventually. A lot of great feedback on that one so far.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]The walking ax is heavy, the battle ax weighs a ton, and both have inferior shafts in relation to their weight. Once in hand, just about everyone agrees that swing either would be risky at the very least.
I haven't got the bearded ax yet, but I want to eventually. A lot of great feedback on that one so far.[/quote]

Thank you both, (I don't know just how to quote multiple people).
I think, in narrowing down which pieces I plan to invest in, I will pass on the Battle axe for now. That's saying something considering how much thought I've put into it. The bearded axe, I agree, has an excellent look though I've not seen it in person. Thanks again. :)

I have both the large axes and while they may be inferior in quality, the detail is great. I'd recommend them, but if you don't want to go for them now, buy something else first. They're pretty cheap, you shouldn't have a hard time getting them down the road. I'd recommend collecting the weapons of the Fellowship first, since they're iconic and give you a wide variety of weapons and of course, they look great together.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I have both the large axes and while they may be inferior in quality, the detail is great. I'd recommend them, but if you don't want to go for them now, buy something else first. They're pretty cheap, you shouldn't have a hard time getting them down the road. I'd recommend collecting the weapons of the Fellowship first, since they're iconic and give you a wide variety of weapons and of course, they look great together.[/quote]

Fin is absolutey right on this, Cap.
I've seen both the Btl Axe and W Axe NIB for less than $100, and they are very easy to find at that price. So first try to get the Swords you want.

I have the Wlk Axe because I thought it looked pretty good, and I still like it.
I've never cared for the Btl Axe---looks too much like a prop (or toy..nod to Nazgul), so I don't own that one.

And at first I didn't like the Bearded Axe at all. But then it kind of grew on me and I really took a liking to it, especially for the reason that Nazgul says; because of its aged look.

So I just ordered the Bearded Axe for $110 total, incl shipping.
Maybe it will be cheaper later but I didn't want to wait too long.
Like Thranduil said, the feedback is pretty positive on that one.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]
I have the Wlk Axe because I thought it looked pretty good, and I still like it.
I've never cared for the Btl Axe---looks too much like a prop (or toy..nod to Nazgul), so I don't own that one.

And at first I didn't like the Bearded Axe at all. But then it kind of grew on me and I really took a liking to it, especially for the reason that Nazgul says; because of its aged look.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm totally on the same page here. After looking through some more threads, there are two pieces I'd really love to get first.

I got them today!! Sam's #0334. Took forever for me to locate/discern that. So here are my questions:

When I took Herugrim out, I put my hand under my shirt to support the blade as I examined it. It left a mark on my shirt but I could care less, the thing is, is that it has a coating of oil. Is this the norm? I gently wiped the blade so here's to hoping that was okay. Please tell me.

The same case with Sam's MC sword. A thin, (maaaybe blackish in tone), coat of oil or fluid on the blade. Should I clean this with a dry cloth? And did everyone here fill in the blank on their Certificate of Authenticity with the number they got?

[quote=""Captain Ember""]Are we all agreed that the gentle wiping of the blade, therefore removing the light coating of oil residue, is a harmless thing? (I do plan to apply proper oil to.. do whatever that does in the near future)

Does MC Sam's need it? The blade is different.. It still needs it, though, right? :huh: [/quote]
Some of the other guys may need to chime in here, but I think MC editions are carbon steel, not stainless. So renaissance wax may be a better choice for Sam's sword.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Some of the other guys may need to chime in here, but I think MC editions are carbon steel, not stainless. So renaissance wax may be a better choice for Sam's sword.[/quote]

[quote=""Nazgûl""]I wouldn't wipe on that blade too much because this blackish finish goes away easily.[/quote]

Ahh, thank you!! :thumbs_up

[quote=""Thranduil""]Some of the other guys may need to chime in here, but I think MC editions are carbon steel, not stainless. So renaissance wax may be a better choice for Sam's sword.[/quote]

The Sword of Samwise MC is not carbon steel. It is stainless steel. It's not anywhere near the quality in materials or workmanship as the MC Sting or Glamdring. UC really cut corners on this ione. It really shouldn't be desigmated "MC" in my book.

Anyway, you can completely remove the oil and you won't have to put anything on it. Being stainless steel, coupled with the "aged finish" material applied, nothing will adversely effect the blade, as long as you're only displaying it and not chopping your way through a forest.

Renaissance Wax rules. I use it on all my swords. Absolutely love it. I use it on all my katana sayas as well.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”