Problems with Gandalf's staff

A quick question to the higher powers who have been in the know for much longer than I have:

I'm thinking about buying a Gandalf the White staff. I know that some of them had problems with chipping where the crown and handle meet. Is it an actual structural problem, or is it purely cosmetic? Because the one I'm looking at has the problem and I'm willing to go for it if it's just a little paint chip but I don't want to buy anything that's cracked and splitting.

"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: Problems with Gandalf's staff

I would say both issues are present.

On my staff, there are cosmetic problems where the paint chipped off, but the seams on the crown (it's made of three separate pieces) have large gaps in them, so if you try to apply paint to repair the chips, it will simply dribble into the cracks and still leave a visible, dark seam. My only suggestion to fix this would be to use some form of putty to seal the gaps and then paint over them.

If I were you, I would chase down one of the second versions of this staff, which were made with resin crowns instead of metal ones. The metal ones all have this flaw.
This Space for Rent

No, box colour is a very unreliable method as various UC products have changed box colours over the years. If I recall correctly, the original metal crown staff came in a blue box, but I have no idea if the resin crown second version also came in a blue box or the later brown boxes. There's a thread around here somewhere which lists all products by box colour.

I think the best way would be to track it down by the UC Product Ref# for the item. Every LOTR piece had one, and I'm sure the two versions of the staff will have different numbers.

Edit: Ah, here's that thread, it's a sticky: http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=4743

Unfortunately it only shows one number for the staff: UC1386. I don't know if this is because Draven never found a number for the second staff, or if there was no new number to begin with, but it would bear more looking into if I were you.
Last edited by Valkrist on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]No, box colour is a very unreliable method as various UC products have changed box colours over the years. If I recall correctly, the original metal crown staff came in a blue box, but I have no idea if the resin crown second version also came in a blue box or the later brown boxes. There's a thread around here somewhere which lists all products by box colour.
[/quote]

I have the resin crown version and it also is in a blue box.

Well, good for us, the ones on ebay supposidly (according to to seller) have the second versions UC1386WTNB.

Nonetheless, Fin, I am currently the highest bidder on Ebay #330605038667. So the other one is all yours. Of course if the price goes above where you want, pm me here and I'll tell you if my max bid is above or below yours.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Well, good for us, the ones on ebay supposidly (according to to seller) have the second versions UC1386WTNB.

Nonetheless, Fin, I am currently the highest bidder on Ebay #330605038667. So the other one is all yours. Of course if the price goes above where you want, pm me here and I'll tell you if my max bid is above or below yours.[/quote]
I think the SEC would consider this insider trading :crazy:
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Friends don't let friends bid on the same item! :) [/quote]
They do on Wall Street! :P
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""RevAnakin""]All I know is that if any auction for a used one gets up to $90, I'm out because I'll just buy it brand new from BUDK[/quote]

Amen to that. I'm dropping out on the other one most likely, it's at like $70 already. Don't see why people keep bidding it up, it's cheaper for all of us if you wait until the last hour to bid. I never bid on anything until the 15 second mark.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Amen to that. I'm dropping out on the other one most likely, it's at like $70 already. Don't see why people keep bidding it up, it's cheaper for all of us if you wait until the last hour to bid. I never bid on anything until the 15 second mark.[/quote]

I usually wait till the 6 second mark before placing my bid. Has won me a few things on ebay
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I dropped out fast because these people are dumb. They are bidding up to $80 plus shipping for a defective product when there is a brand new one on Amazon for $105 including shipping[/quote]

Amen brother. Stupid people, the bane of that auction service. :angry:

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”