Just axing a question....

This thread was prompted by Dpegasusm asking Rough if he was going to let go of his Gimli Walking Axe....

Recently I have seen a [UC licensed]Gimli's Battle Axe listed for $400 :O ....a collectible that, once UC went under, could be had for $69.
We're talking maybe 2-3 years ago.

A licensed Gimli's Walking Axe listed for $200-$300...a collectible that I bought about 3 years ago (if that) for less than $100

Less than a year ago I bought Gimli's Bearded Axe for about a $100.
Maybe I should have bought 3 or 4,seeing that it's value will likely skyrocket to $300 before long.

So does anyone know why there's suddenly such great value placed on the first two Axes?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Just axing a question....

I wondered that too. My friend wants to buy the two axes he doesn't have and he was complaining about the price. I bought the Battle Axe for $60 and the Walking Axe for $80, both brand new in box. It's a good thing I bought them when I did. When DID these get so e xp ensive?
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

That is usually how the life of these collectibles unfolds. Once they've been discontinued and distributors and retailer run out, they become scarce and any demand at all begins bringing premium prices. I remeber when the original UC went bankrupt there were several limited edition models that did not get the complete run made. As it looked as though they would be much more limited than planned, and as the distributors and retailers ran out, the prices skyrocketed. I believe the EWS was one, and before long they were going for over $500.00 on Ebay. Then when the BudK people bought UC and started production again, the prices crashed. There were many who paid top dollar for them who were feeling quite sore that items they paid hundreds for were now available for just under a couple of hundred.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

I must've come into the game at the right time then, right around BudK upping the production again. But when did the world run out of Gimli axes? I didn't even notice that the prices were rising, I just looked because I didn't believe they had gotten so rare and there's none to be found!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I've about given up on finding the walking axe, two years and multiple deals falling through due to unreliable sellers and guys are now asking 1000$ plus for them on eBay. It's absurd. That's one that I'm surprised UC never brought back for the Hobbit, they had already done all the work. But unfortunately it never happened.

TMcLim wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:28 am I've about given up on finding the walking axe, two years and multiple deals falling through due to unreliable sellers and guys are now asking 1000$ plus for them on eBay. It's absurd. That's one that I'm surprised UC never brought back for the Hobbit, they had already done all the work. But unfortunately it never happened.
I'm in the same boat. I know the original mold is broken and new tooling and thus new investment would be needed for UC to reissue it, but I really believe enough demand will build up that it'll happen eventually.

I agree. Assuming the Drew guy is still polling the community. If enough people inquired about it I'm sure it would be considered. Anything Gimli is a solid move IMO :D I'm hoping they still move forward on Gimli's Helm. Mine was free but damaged and incomplete. I'd save up and spring for a second without a doubt. Same for the Battle Axe, I need a 2nd to complete my doubles but not for $800/$900 USD. Especially since I only paid $150 when I bought it.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”