Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Lindir wrote:
Lindir wrote: Kit, you said not perfect. What about it isn't perfect in your eyes?

I'm pre-ordering again... as soon as Battle Orders puts it back up.
Things in the blade casting mostly. Casting stainless is not a perfect process. It is impossible to cast the blades perfectly straight each time and I'm amazed they seem to have mostly conquered that problem now. There is still some warpage, but there are so many curves on these blades, probably no one will notice that but me. Sometimes there are little raised or recessed areas here and there also, and the gate where the steel is poured into the mold has to be ground down and polished to match the blade surface around it, which does not always match.

I think some people will expect a pretty, machine ground and polished blade like on the LOTR Elven swords or even Tauriel's blades, but this has more of a hand forged, aged bronze look. That's accurate to the prop look, but no one ever saw the prop! There is also some iridescent greens in the wood coloring that the factory did not really match, but no one will notice that's different but me. The prop also has a slight hint of a wavy hamon line along the edge to imply differential edge tempering. Because of the blade finish process, that did not look right when the factory tried it, so it won't be on the replica.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:
Lindir wrote:
Lindir wrote: Kit, you said not perfect. What about it isn't perfect in your eyes?

I'm pre-ordering again... as soon as Battle Orders puts it back up.
Things in the blade casting mostly. Casting stainless is not a perfect process. It is impossible to cast the blades perfectly straight each time and I'm amazed they seem to have mostly conquered that problem now. There is still some warpage, but there are so many curves on these blades, probably no one will notice that but me. Sometimes there are little raised or recessed areas here and there also, and the gate where the steel is poured into the mold has to be ground down and polished to match the blade surface around it, which does not always match.

I think some people will expect a pretty, machine ground and polished blade like on the LOTR Elven swords or even Tauriel's blades, but this has more of a hand forged, aged bronze look. That's accurate to the prop look, but no one ever saw the prop! There is also some iridescent greens in the wood coloring that the factory did not really match, but no one will notice that's different but me. The prop also has a slight hint of a wavy hamon line along the edge to imply differential edge tempering. Because of the blade finish process, that did not look right when the factory tried it, so it won't be on the replica.
I noticed the missing hamon line in the photos you posted. I think I actually prefer it without it. I love the colours on the blades, and I can see the hand forged look you're talking about. Very excited for this piece. So Kit, is this now going into production or are you going to try and nail some more details?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I won't even venture a guess on the polearm. I'm still waiting on the Black Arrow production to show up, which is made in the same facility. Still waiting on the Weta version too! Production-to-warehouse lead times out of the orient have been extremely slow these past few years. So, 2017 maybe :)

I gave my OK on the final Mirkwood sword proto a few weeks back, so that one should be in production soon. I heard the Mirkwood helms are being made now, so I expect those will be in before Christmas. Hopefully we will be able to start on some new Hobbit/LOTR replicas before long.
KRDS

My Hobbit wishlist:

Mirkwood shield - depending on space. I'm running short.
Hand forged Mirkwood Infantry sword - UK exclusive (I can dream right?)
Thranduil scabbard
Mirkwood scout daggers
Mirkwood soldier pike/spear
Limited edition metal and wood Orcrist scabbard (another dream - possibly with that cool belt)

Nasnandos wrote:
Lindir wrote:My Hobbit wishlist:
Limited edition metal and wood Orcrist scabbard (another dream - possibly with that cool belt)
You could see if Weta will make an extra MSS scabbard for you, but I'm sure it will cost a few thousand :)
I was hoping that if UC did one it would be somewhat cheaper than that :P

Nasnandos wrote:Not really. To make it look like the prop, they would have to be custom made one-by-one, just like Weta did. It is too large to make by casting in metal, not without changing the design radically. And it would still have ended up costing more than the sword xP
When you used to say "it would cost more than the sword" I always imagined it would maybe be, at maximum, £500 or something like that so I always held on to hope. Even though thats expensive for a replica, I would have paid it just because I love the design. But now that you've said they'd have to be custom made, then the dream is dead :P

I'll hold on to my dream for a hand forged Infantry sword though... or Haldir's sword... I wish UC would make a hand forged limited run of that sword. Is Haldir's or the Rivendell sword (Haldir's sword with different handle pattern) on the cards at the moment?

Lindir wrote: When you used to say "it would cost more than the sword" I always imagined it would maybe be, at maximum, £500 or something like that so I always held on to hope. Even though thats expensive for a replica, I would have paid it just because I love the design. But now that you've said they'd have to be custom made, then the dream is dead :P
Even at $500 a piece, they would have sold so few it would not even have broken even, but it would have cost well over a thousand

As far as LOTR, nothing is in the cards at the moment, until they tell me to start up again, but for LOTR there was never a lot interest in Haldir's sword, other than in between film 2 and 3. The Hobbit version was barely even seen. It's in this thread somewhere, but the Facebook poll taken a while back was pretty much spot-on to the collector requests. As I recall, Haldir's sword barely made that list either. Eomer's sword was #1.

I'm not sure UC is willing to invest in the high tooling cost to make a relatively unknown sword again anyway, or even a moderately known one.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:....As far as LOTR, nothing is in the cards at the moment, until they tell me to start up again, but for LOTR there was never a lot interest in Haldir's sword, other than in between film 2 and 3. ...the Facebook poll taken a while back was pretty much spot-on to the collector requests. As I recall, Haldir's sword barely made that list either. Eomer's sword was #1.

I'm not sure UC is willing to invest in the high tooling cost to make a relatively unknown sword again anyway, or even a moderately known one.
I guess your phrase "even a moderately known one" is a way of saying not to get our hopes up that Guthwine will be made. *sigh*

So what else from LOTR can be made that had a lot of screen time? Except maybe more RMCs.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Practically any helm, shield, or Dwarf weapon can be made in polyresin/fiberglass, so that is likely what most of a continuing LOTR/Hobbit line would be. Steel replicas are less likely because of the astronomical tooling costs.

Here is my wish list - which is just that. Only a few of these are really even viable. Maybe 4-6 of the ones that are actually possible will get made in the next 2-3 years, depending on the market.

LOTR TRILOGY
STEEL REPLICAS
Guthwine - Sword of Eomer
Sword of Haldir/Rivendell Guard Sword – TTT/AUJ
Spear of Gil Galad

POLYRESIN/FIBERGLASS REPLICAS
Gandalf FOTR staff #2 – with crystal

Gil Galad Shield

Helm of King Theoden
Helm of Eomer
Mouth of Sauron Helm

HOBBIT TRILOGY
STEEL REPLICAS
Sword of Bard
Mirkwood Spear #2
Thranduil sword scabbard

POLYRESIN/FIBERGLASS REPLICAS
Regal Sword of Fili – BOFA
War Hammer of Dain
War Hammer of Thrain

Legolas BOFA/FOTR Bow and Arrow
Legolas BOFA/FOTR Quiver with Arrows
Bow of Thorin - BOFA

Thorin Regal Shield
Mirkwood Guard Shield

Helm of Dain
Mirkwood Guard Helm - TDOS
Iron Hills Dwarf Helm – BOFA
Moria Dwarf Helm - AUJ
Gundabad Orc Helm - BOFA
KRDS

It's probably not even possible to do the shafts since the are hexagonal not round, and even split into two sections for shipping, I think the length would fall into the oversize shipping surcharge category.

We were thinking to just sell the spear heads on a display, but at film scale they are well over the length limit for casting. They would have to be scaled down 60% or so, which is still big! Even the polearm had to be scaled down because of the blade casting limit. It's being made close to the size shown in the concept art, about 6' long, not the prop scale, which was over 7' long as I recall.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:It's probably not even possible to do the shafts since the are hexagonal not round, and even split into two sections for shipping, I think the length would fall into the oversize shipping surcharge category.

We were thinking to just sell the spear heads on a display, but at film scale they are well over the length limit for casting. They would have to be scaled down 60% or so, which is still big! Even the polearm had to be scaled down because of the blade casting limit. It's being made close to the size shown in the concept art, about 6' long, not the prop scale, which was over 7' long as I recall.
Are you talking about the one the soldiers carry during the BOFA or the one that the palace guards have in TDOS?

I didn't realise there was a limit to the length for the casting process. I guess because the pole arm hasn't been seen in the movies, and there's nothing for us to compare it to, then the reduction in scale won't be that big of an issue. I'm really excited about the pole arm. If the blades were ground out like Tauriel's, I'm guessing it would have increased the price. The blades look more complex than Tauriel's and I'm assuming, going by what you've said in the past, the grinds wouldn't have been as deep and the blade wouldn't have been as detailed if it was ground out? Also I imagine those leaf/swirls in the middle of the blade would have been a nightmare to do.

I'm talking about the BOFA spear, but the Mirkwood guard spear is about the same size as well.

As far as grinding the polearm blades like the Tauriel blades, it's not even possible to get anything even remotely close to the polearm blade grinds and shapes in a hollow grinding machine. Trying to machine grind it would be in the hand made, custom forged territorty. Lost wax ceramic steel casting was the only possible way to make a production version.
KRDS

Really? I did not know they had come in. I worked that up about three years ago. The final proto was OK, but not enough for me to want a copy for my collection. Externally, it looks like the non light up version, but the inner crown is translucent so the LEDs can make it illuminate.

Regarding the staff price, I know it all too well. I have been looking for one for five years. I just missed one about three months back. There's one on ebay now for $3500, and that's the STARTING bid!
KRDS

Idril wrote:Gil Galad shield........ :inlove:
Now I'll start fainting if that gets made. I soooo want it. My heart is racing just thinking of it.
Well, Lindir, I hope you are satisfied....I'll bet it never occurred to you that your illness was contagious. :o

The dreaded 'Elven Fainting Fits' have now spread halfway around the world.

Weta stopped production of LOTR props back in 2004 when the movie production ended with the ROTK EE, so it's not possible to get anything from them. Jackson owns all the existing LOTR props and he does not let anything go. I saw a few unpainted staffs sitting in his prop warehouse in a photo tour posted on Empire online last year, but I have been told Jackson will not loan them out.
KRDS

Deimos wrote:
Idril wrote:Gil Galad shield........ :inlove:
Now I'll start fainting if that gets made. I soooo want it. My heart is racing just thinking of it.
Well, Lindir, I hope you are satisfied....I'll bet it never occurred to you that your illness was contagious. :o

The dreaded 'Elven Fainting Fits' have now spread halfway around the world.
I feel so terrible... I have spread this condition around. You're right, I didn't consider that it was contagious :'(

I'm guessing PJ doesn't loan anything out because he doesn't wanna risk anything getting damaged because he wants all the props to go in that Middle Earth museum he was hoping for. I hope that goes ahead one day. Is it normal for directors to keep props or is it something he'd have written into his contract?

I'm sure the hero weapon props and most of the clean stunt props are properly stored, but most of the props and set pieces pictured in the warehouse photo shoot were very scratched and damaged from use or handling, just kind of piled on top of each other and stacked everywhere in bulk storage. There are props from just about every one of his movies there.

Props are usually given away, destroyed, or thrown in the trash when movie productions end. Movie studios don't have the space or money to store and take care of that stuff. Producers/directors have some leeway to keep things, and he is an owner of the production company that made those movies, so....

Making money by taking them on an exhibit tour or putting them in a museum is a whole other deal that requires licensing contracts and approvals. Jackson has been trying to put together a movie prop museum in NZ for years - still has not happened.
KRDS

Things are now going forward for new development, so there will be plenty to get excited about. I can't say much, but Bard's sword for the steel bladed line and the scabbard/frog for Thranduil's sword look to be next up. Dain's helm and war hammer may be next for the polyresin/fiberglass replica line. It looks like we will be very busy here doing ME product development for the next few years.

Also, the polearm is a go, but it won't be out until next year.
Argolas wrote:What about Kili's bow?...is possible to make a version in UC? considering that the in movie is practically the main weapon of Kili and have already made his sword.
There is not a lot of interest in doing anything from AUJ at the moment, but United owns the prop, so Kili's bow is possible. Same with Thorin's BOFA bow, but I think the Legolas BOFA/FOTR bow will be the next one to come in the bow line.
KRDS

I'm curious too, although Kit didn't sound too hopeful initially with UC pursuing that line right away. I'm so out of room that it's not even funny anymore, so it will be heartbreaking for me to not be able to buy some of these replicas. Between UC and custom projects and the odd Weta piece, there's just no way (and money) to keep up. Bard's sword and the frog will be picked for sure. I'm not sure about the bow, but I am glad now I didn't spend all that money on that Italian version. Dain's gear would be cool, but nowhere to put it. :(
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote:...Things are now going forward for new development, so there will be plenty to get excited about. I can't say much, but Bard's sword for the steel bladed line ....
Kit, will the blade on Bard's sword (if it IS made) look like the blade on the THranduil's sword or the LOTR swords ,i.e., polished SS; or will it look like the blades on, say, the Fili /Kili Swords?

I am just so disappointed in weapons that look like toys.

Nasnandos wrote:Why would we change the blade finish to look like the Kili/Fili swords? Maybe I am not understanding the question.

It will look like the prop blade finish.
I was hoping that it would NOT have some "aged/worn" finish on it that made it look fake.
The Fili/Kili/ NC Deathless swords all look fake (to me) because of the finish.

I LIKE the look of the prop! It's just that I was concerned that the final UC product would not look like the prop.
(But we know that never happens :rolleye:)

Speaking of fidelity to the prop, any idea how the grip will be done? Real leather and metal trim ? (not talking about the crosspiece or pommel).
Or, because it is patterned and not smooth, do you think it will be rubber like the grip on Isildur's sword?

The Noble blade finish compared to the Fili and Kili blade finish are about as far apart as you can get. The Bard sword does not have an aged/worn finish. Well, it does have some small pits and dents here and there like all of the swords of elves and men in the movies, but it's just the standard Middle earth blade polish.

And uhg, no rubber grips. It will depend on what the factory can pull off with embossing that crisp pattern in leather. Actually, I'm not sure that is even supposed to be leather. I have not looked at the prop in about a year, so that all has to be worked out when I get started on it again.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:Sadly, out of all the LOTR swords re-issued this year, Herugrim was the lowest seller. That does not bode well for increasing chances that the Eomer sword will ever be in the running to be made again, or even that another run of Eowyn sword will be made.
So which sword/weapon was the best seller?
Or maybe just list all the re-issues, most popular (by sales) to least popular.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”