Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

jnicktem wrote:I would imagine that out of the unreleased LOTR swords, Guthwine is the most requested. I see it all over the place on the UC Facebook page.
Kit continues to maintain that sword has little to no chance of being made by UC this late in the game, and if anyone knows, it's him. That whole Facebook fiasco thing was a cruel poll that popped up the moment Indy started taking names for his Guthwine project. I don't think UC ever intended to seriously ask how many people wanted that sword. Indy has just over a hundred people on his list, but with the crazy cost of steel these days, UC would probably be barely breaking even on a run of thirty times that number in theoretical sales.
This Space for Rent

Asking fans and collectors what they want to see made or brought back to the line was 'cruel joke'? ....wow.
Deimos wrote: So which sword/weapon was the best seller?
Or maybe just list all the re-issues, most popular (by sales) to least popular.
I don't have their sales data, I just saw the two at the bottom. Boromir's sword was the other one, which was a disappointing because for about three years it was the #2 most requested sword to be reissued. I had heard pre orders were very low on that one before they ever arrived though, so it was not really unexpected, then the factory put the markings on the wrong side which did not help. The rest looked like they are selling though well.

Asking fans and collectors what they want to see made or brought back to the line was 'cruel joke'? ....wow.
jnicktem wrote:I would imagine that out of the unreleased LOTR swords, Guthwine is the most requested. I see it all over the place on the UC Facebook page.
The Facebook tally I posted here last year showed it #1.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

There would have needed to be strong data showing both old and new LOTR collectors would have been interested in it. I had hoped strong Herugrim sales would have led to Eowyn's sword being reissued, and if that had done well...then maybe the third. It seems the popularity ranking order from the original LOTR period has not changed - we are in the minority. Hopefully Indy will get his version made at some point.
KRDS

Phew...

Well, let me just say that this thread has been a great read. It took about 4 hours, but I made it through!
Thank you all very much for keeping the discussion and updates going for so long, and thanks to Kit for being such a great ambassador!
It looks like I popped back in at just the right time, what with Kit just announcing UC has renewed the license.

So, after seeing all of the pictures and reading the discussion... I wonder what are the consensus 'must haves' from the Hobbit lineup?
Orcrist is #1 on my list.
It sounds like the bows turned out great as well.
Sword of Thranduil seems like a good buy especially with the frog possibly in the works.
Any other recommendations from those who have the items in-hand?

I can't wait to see Bard's sword.

Kit, my apologies if I have offended you, but my comment was not without precedent and basis in some facts. I'm guessing you forgot (or missed) what happened some time ago around when Indy started making his sword. A particularly malicious individual who had been banned from this forum began a personal vendetta to sink Indy's project and stop his Guthwine from being made, citing it as illegal. He threatened that he would contact UC and it appears that he did, though the outcome was not what he hoped for. The whole thing was rather ugly and he ended up being banned from Shadow and Flame as well, as the whole thing dragged across that forum as well and onto UC's Facebook page. It was the timing of UC's Facebook guy posting the picture of Guthwine and asking people if they knew what sword that was that prompted everyone to start asking again that UC make the sword, which was an action that played right into that individual's hands: if UC would actually signal interest in making it, Indy's project would have been effectively dead. In the end, it doesn't seem UC was interested after all and you've said a few times that they would need about 3000 in confirmed pre orders to make a profit on this blade.

That is why I said that so-called poll was a cruel joke, because of the way it came about, and due to the fact that it accomplished nothing ultimately except to give fans false hope that UC would make it, and endanger Indy's project in the process. You can read whole thing over at Indy's thread here starting around page 5. Unfortunately the S&F part of this ugly situation is gone because S&F lost their database.

Anyway, I don't want to bring this whole thing back up because it makes my bile rise thinking of what happened, but I owed you a clarification for my comment, which was made in a moment of anger for the reasons mentioned above.

My issue never was and never will be with UC trying to find out what fans want, but rather with the very fishy timing of that Facebook post and what was ultimately behind it all.
This Space for Rent

You are talking about something different than what we are. I'm referring to the actual poll that was on United's Facebook page early last year, not one of those "who wants to see this made" posts the BudK people put up. It was a request for what reissues people would like to see. I instigated it, informed people here and elsewhere, and I posted the results here. People posted anything and everything they wanted to see made, not just reissues, and there was a huge response. Probably the biggest response to anything they ever posted on their Facebook page and a main factor in the reissue reissue sword selection, the Anduril scabbard reissue, and getting them to look at Guthwine and a few of the others top requests.
KRDS

I remember BOTH of those things happening separately and yes you are talking about two very different instances. I was repeatedly contacted by that malicious individual via PMs on the Flame. He wanted Indy shut down because he hates happiness and creativity and wants the world to be seen behind the glass of a museum case. He contacted the UC Facebook page.

Kit, youe poll was a much later and much better circumstance. :coolsmile

Oh and Draven, you want those Tauriel knives. :cheers:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Fingolfin wrote:I remember BOTH of those things happening separately and yes you are talking about two very different instances. I was repeatedly contacted by that malicious individual via PMs on the Flame. ...
Why did he contact you personally about Indy's [proposed] Guthwine?
Did he think you had some sort of privileged power that could stop Indy's project?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Well, I picked up the new Gandalf staff (with pipe & nail) and its really awesome. I actually like it better than the earlier staff with the somewhat hidden "white" staff inside that I also own.

I also picked up the (reissue?) of Boromir's sword. I missed this back in the day so I was thrilled to pick it up at a fair price. It's really cool that UC is re-releasing some of the old classics!

I may have missed it but do we have any idea when the black arrow will be released? Do we have any sneak peaks of that one?

Thanks Kit for all the openness with the fans. It's really cool to have someone involved with the whole process so active on a thread like this!!
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Nasnandos wrote:Ah yes, I have a vague memory of that being discussed here. I don't think it was ever determined if the Canadian who kept emailing United over and over about making it was the same person you guys are talking about.
Not to belabor this buried and sordid affair, but the individual in question was most definitely not Canadian although he was fond of using multiple identities and nationalities to trick people. Possibly it was him that was pestering UC to make Guthwine, but not for any noble or selfless intent, of that I can assure you.

Anyway, this person has already gotten more attention than he should ever receive in a million years. I'm sorry I ever brought this up, and like Fin, I'm very grateful for the helpful poll you did much later.

Just out of curiosity, who has final say in what gets made as a result of these polls/meetings? UC or BudK? Is there even a rep from BudK present at these meetings?
This Space for Rent

Yes, that is one of the prop master photos. It's that exact shape in FOTR, or the half sticking out is. In a few parts of the movie it looks different, but I think that was because the light up version was sometimes placed on there crooked.
Valkrist wrote:That's awesome news, Kit. Any folks dropping over 1k for that Noble staff are going to be mightily upset. :o
It's more like 2.5k to 3k now!
Valkrist wrote:Please make sure the folks at United don't forget the G rune this time. ;)
Ha, ha. That was me, not United. It was not in the BOFA prop reference photos I had, so I removed it from the FOTR prop, to be accurate! The Moria staff has two of them.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote:That's awesome news, Kit. Any folks dropping over 1k for that Noble staff are going to be mightily upset. :o
My thought exactly...and in one case it was $1600 (USD) :O :O :O

Edit: $2.5K now for the NC version???? omg.....well, I think the bottom is close to falling out of THAT market .
And with Kit's news, it's already too late for any of the owners to sell at a profit.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

The only problem with having the LEDs in the crystal is that it is supposed to be almost transparent, making everything inside visible. The size of batteries that will be able to fit inside it will be limited to those little button cell types - but I have some ideas to make all that work without seeing the guts. Worst case is that is will simply have a pocket in the bottom of the hole for the crystal for a self contained LED light. Basically something removable, in a tubular case, about the size of a typical keychain LED flashlight.

One change I may make is to do the paint finish duller than the prop. It's quite a bit shinier than the other staffs, but duller seems to work better when reproducing these wood colors and paint washes in the factory.

KRDS

Deimos wrote:So, val, any idea where/how you are going to display it? :laugh:
Did you leave space for it on the off chance it might be made?
No idea for now. I'm on the other side of the world from home right now so I can't even go into my collection room and begin visualizing this. I basically had zero hope UC would ever have a chance of making this thing, and I knew I would never be nuts enough to pay asking price for the Noble version. My one staff spot left is reserved for the pipe staff. Then there's the elven polearm, which is also long and displayed vertically. I still have to figure that one out, but I don't care, I'm getting this staff and that's that, even if I have to use the ceiling like Kit keeps suggesting. :P

P.S. - It's a good thing Gandalf's cinematic adventures are over. Between the six movies, the old boy goes through four staves. Way to save the trees Gandalf, the eco-unfriendly wizard. :roll:
This Space for Rent

Those LED lights are a bit small for the illumination needs. I tested a compact light this afternoon with a 3 LED board inside. Fits right in the space available under the hole for the crystal, and illuminates it pretty well. I used a clear acrylic block about the size of the crystal and cut some facets and grooves in it to scatter the light.

It's not as bright as the halogen bulb used in some scenes in FOTR, but it is as bright as the one in these shots.

KRDS

Given that there was a lake at the bottom of that chasm, not an even an expedition in the Fourth Age would have been able to recover that staff. As for his recovery of Glamdring, when I watch that scene it makes me think that Gandalf must've taken some sky-diving lessons off the back of Gwaihir with the way be tucks his arms and legs in and arrows for that sword. Love it. :thumbs_up

While we're on the topic of Gandalf gear, Kit, do you have any clear prop photos of that sword that he took into Orthanc? I know some screen caps were posted some time ago, but you can only see the hilt and part of the scabbard. Curious what the blade actually looks like.
This Space for Rent

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”