Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

This is why I stick with friends you can rely on. Rev, if you are reading this, I second what Idril said: update your thread when you can with info on prices and availability for this sword. Thank you!

Kit, I think it looks good, but yes, I do see the differences in the handle. The second post with the prop (or prototype?) photo shows a much richer wood grain and colour, as opposed to the final product, where it all seems darker, obscured, and very smooth.

I guess that is your curse in seeing and working with the originals: the replicas hardly ever measure up 100%. Still, I will be very happy to own this piece. Thanks for the photos! :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

I can certainly understand how a company like BudK might seem tempting for those of you in the US, mainly because of the free shipping offers, like N2 referred to. For those of us international customers, Rev really goes the distance in trying to get the best postage rates possible, and like you said, we are supporting a friend rather than some big company.
This Space for Rent

Buckeye wrote:The Mirkwood Infantry Sword was the last of my existing BudK preorders. It may, in fact, be my very last order with them. I'd much prefer to support someone like Rev with my future orders.
I too had my pre-order canceled from over a year ago and I also think the original pricing may have changed. I have wholesale accounts with both United and BudK, so I'm not going to find them much cheaper. The reason I go through Budk more is they usually are the dealer and have the items in stock and also offer further discounts including free shipping. Otherwise I too would be going through Rev.

Nasnandos wrote:
Lindir wrote:If it's only the one run, I can't imagine any of them getting to the UK.
Did Battle Orders get in any of the recent Hobbit weapon replicas, like the Thranduil sword?

They got recent replicas such as Thranduil's sword but they took the polearm off their site about a year ago and it's never been put back up for pre-order. In the past, the first run has only been sold to the US which is what happened with Thrandui's sword I believe. So I assumed that if only one run would be completed, then it would be just for the US.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote: They got recent replicas such as Thranduil's sword but they took the polearm off their site about a year ago and it's never been put back up for pre-order. In the past, the first run has only been sold to the US which is what happened with Thrandui's sword I believe. So I assumed that if only one run would be completed, then it would be just for the US.
Yeah, BudK usually gets their order from the first load, since they are right next door. Same parent company owns UC and half a dozens other companies.

I'm just guessing on the one run. It all depends on sales, but if most the dealers cancelled their pre-orders, I imagine it will be a short run.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:It looks more like the blades on some of the the concept art than the actual prop blades now, but I like it better. I just hope they do that effect consistently across the production run.
It's really beautiful. I'm glad that it finally managed to make it into production :)

Kit, aside from Thranduil's scabbard, are there any other elven items in the pipeline or even being considered at this point?

Lots Elven items on the list, but nothing being worked on yet. I would like to do the Mirkwood guard helm from TDOS or the captains helm version from BOFA at some point. Maybe one or two of those Mirkwood spear heads, but I think they would have to be scaled down, as they are longer than the steel casting limit to avoid warping when they cool in the mold. I still want to get the brown Legolas bow and quiver made at some point too, but everyone still has plenty of stock of the other bows to sell.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:Lots Elven items on the list, but nothing being worked on yet. I would like to do the Mirkwood guard helm from TDOS or the captains helm version from BOFA at some point. Maybe one or two of those Mirkwood spear heads, but I think they would have to be scaled down, as they are longer than the steel casting limit to avoid warping when they cool in the mold. I still want to get the brown Legolas bow and quiver made at some point too, but everyone still has plenty of stock of the other bows to sell.
That's a shame, if they would have started with the brown Legolas bow I think it would have sold much better that the first one. I know it would have been out of order movie wise, but it's much more popular due to it being LOTR. I hope the bow and quiver make it to production one day as I'd love to own both.

Valkrist wrote:A single production run would make this a LE item pretty quickly.

Rev, where the heck are you?!?
So sorry everyone! I lost the notifications for this thread.

I contacted United yesterday and got the following response:

"The Mirkwood sword is due late July. The Polearm is due late August."

I don't fully understand this considering I made it very clear I wanted at least one copy of each for myself when they came out so I unsure how they are already being shipped.

As for prices, my prices will be as follows:

Mirkwood Sword:
BUDK price 199.99
Castle Kon price 175.00

Mirkwood Polearm:
BUDK price 199.99
Castle Kon price 175.00
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

There were probably only 300 or so on the first load, so they have probably all shipped out by now. The dealer/distributor pre orders would have well exceeded that. Usually a production run is split into several shipments a month or two apart, so that July date is probably the next load. It could take up to 6 months or more before all the pre-orders are filled because it can that long to get them all in.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote:
RevAnakin wrote:Kit, do you have any pics of the Guard helm? I'm part of a modding group for the total war games and our modeler wants to do that helmet.
Isn't that the silver helm pictured on the previous page of this thread?
Yes, indeed. I was wondering if he had any 360 shots.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

RevAnakin wrote:
Valkrist wrote:
RevAnakin wrote:Kit, do you have any pics of the Guard helm? I'm part of a modding group for the total war games and our modeler wants to do that helmet.
Isn't that the silver helm pictured on the previous page of this thread?
Yes, indeed. I was wondering if he had any 360 shots.
That silver one a few pages back is the Mirkwood Captain helm. The Mirkwood Guard, or more accurately the palace and gate guards, wore this one

http://66.media.tumblr.com/6616b7b97061 ... o1_500.gif

I do have 360 photos of both, but I won't post pix of those online. Not until after they are on the market anyway. Licensing agreements and restrictions, et cetera.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Thanks for the photo Kit! Looks like a multi layer and color gradient process. Do you think it can be acheived with drybrushing or airbrush?
I did a little of both on the proto. I airbrushed the base colors, then some paint washing to add some dark staining, then a thick clear layer, then a translucent layer of wood grain painting on top to add some depth for that lacquered wood look.

It's not really clear what the material is supposed to actually be. It's both wood-like, but also aquatic. That greeninsh area has a fish scale or fish skin quality on the prop, like there is a silvery sheen underneath. I airbrushed some silver undercoat there, then on top of the clear coat I airbrushed the green, so it had the same effect. None of that in on the final United grip, but that's how to do it if you want to customize it.
KRDS

There's a good little glimpse of Denethor's sword and scabbard hung on the wall in Weta's BTS video for Warcraft on YouTube.

I had forgotten how beautiful it is. I think the answer will probably be the same as it was the last time the question was asked, but is there any hope for Denethor's sword being released as part of the new wave of LOTR replicas UC is producing?

Yes, I would have loved to seen that Legolas sword used. The prop they built looked really good. I was so disappointed when WB told me they switched to the knives. If United does any other weapon props that were built-but-never used, it would be that one.

Sauron's sword would be another great one, but it's not possible to do the complex grinds and grooves on that blade in a machine grinder. No chance on Denethor's sword.
KRDS

Here is little section of the possible items list from a while back. This is how the unmade weapons/arms rank, most requested to least. But, as I have said in the past, it's very unlikely any real steel bladed swords will be added to the LOTR line. Go back in this thread for the reasons, but essentially there is not enough interest to justify the high tooling and inventory cost.

Eomer's Sword, Guthwine (extremely slow sales when Theoden and Eowyn's swords were re-released - X)
Gil Galad Spear, Aeglos (blade can't be cast at 1:1 scale - X)
Legolas Bow (poly)
Sauron Mace (poly) COMPLETE
Faramir Sword (steel)
Theoden Helm (poly)
Eomer Helm (poly)
Gil Galad Shield (fiber/poly)
Haldir's Sword (steel)
Gimli's Two Small Axes (steel/wood)
Sauron Sword (steel, but blade can't be made with production grinders and millers - X)
Fountain Guard Helm (steel, but can't be done with real feathers)
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”