Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote:Here is little section of the possible items list from a while back. This is how the unmade weapons/arms rank, most requested to least. But, as I have said in the past, it's very unlikely any real steel bladed swords will be added to the LOTR line. Go back in this thread for the reasons, but essentially there is not enough interest to justify the high tooling and inventory cost.

Fountain Guard Helm (steel, but can't be done with real feathers)
Ahhh the Fountain Guard Helm... if I had a holy grail of my collection, this would be it!
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

If I remember right, there were just two in TDOS - the Woodland guard attire, and the Palace Guard armor. Then the two versions of the armor the Mirkwood army wore in BOFA - captain and infantry - which were basically the same, just a different color and some minor helm changes on the Captain version. Plus the Thranduil and Leggy armor and Tauriel's various, and one inexplicable, attire changes.
KRDS

I liked Tauriel and Legolas' original costumes they had in DOS and would have been happy if they just kept those.

If the Legolas sword gets made it'll be interesting to see if it is banned in the UK or not. From what I can remember, the blade was very similar to Thranduil's (only curved at the tip) so perhaps it'll be fine.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

The prologue armor was very similar to the final BOFA armor, but it was all CGI, so there were some shape and color differences. I don't think they had finalized the BOFA design at that point.
Lindir wrote:I liked Tauriel and Legolas' original costumes they had in DOS and would have been happy if they just kept those.
I like the Tauriel costume she had in Bard's home the best. I would have rather they stayed with that, even though it made no sense why she was wearing it when she had something else on before she entered his home and after.
KRDS

I got my Mirkwood sword yesterday ( they only shipped one - will be sending the second next week after I called) Overall it's pretty nice, a few issues with blade grind variation and glue residue around the metal adornments as well as a few paint application smudges. It is rather large and take up some space to display. I'll eventually repaint the handle with Kit's suggestions, hope the second one shows up in slightly better condition.

Valkrist wrote: Question: do you know what the edition sizes will be? I'm guessing 1500 on the helm, in keeping with recent releases.
I think so, but I'm not sure that has been finalized yet.
N2darkness wrote:The finishes do look nice. They will definitely take up some space. Do I see Theoden's helm sitting in the background?
Part of it. Not sure that one will ever happen though.

There are some crooked parts on the helm crest that need to be fixed, but I think United has nailed the finish and colors on that one.

The steel on the hammer needs to be a bit brighter, and all the red coloring on the hammer will have to go slightly darker to match the BOFA coloring, but they got very close.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:Here is little section of the possible items list from a while back. This is how the unmade weapons/arms rank, most requested to least. But, as I have said in the past, it's very unlikely any real steel bladed swords will be added to the LOTR line. Go back in this thread for the reasons, but essentially there is not enough interest to justify the high tooling and inventory cost.

Eomer's Sword, Guthwine (extremely slow sales when Theoden and Eowyn's swords were re-released - X)
Gil Galad Spear, Aeglos (blade can't be cast at 1:1 scale - X)
Legolas Bow (poly)
Sauron Mace (poly) COMPLETE
Faramir Sword (steel)
Theoden Helm (poly)
Eomer Helm (poly)
Gil Galad Shield (fiber/poly)
Haldir's Sword (steel)
Gimli's Two Small Axes (steel/wood)
Sauron Sword (steel, but blade can't be made with production grinders and millers - X)
Fountain Guard Helm (steel, but can't be done with real feathers)

Was hoping to see Bard's sword on here. Any hope for that remaining? Thanks Kit!

Nasnandos wrote:That was an LOTR list. The Bard sword is in the works.
Kit, I scanned the poll thread to see if you had mentioned something about the hilt materials for this sword but I didn’t see anything. I'm sure the blade will be steel, but is the hilt going to be leather-wrapped? It's hard to tell from the photos what it is exactly, but I just hope UC stays away from rubberized or painted hilts. This sword deserves no less.

Also, any updates on the Moria staff? Still creeping forward or on hold for now?
This Space for Rent

Pretty sure I already mentioned both of those in this thread a few pages back. The grip on Bard's sword is leather wrapped. The Moria staff is on hold until stock of the existing staffs sells through more. With so many staffs and versions, United thinks dealers are going to be hesitant to buy into another one so soon. They won't be looking at when to reschedule that until next year. Same situation with the Legolas FOTR/BOFA bow.
KRDS

Thanks Kit, just too much info or time sometimes.

It's a pity the staff is being held up by the issue you mentioned. I only hope the current staff stock dwindles fast enough for the Moria staff to be made before interest in the line fades any further. There's always the hardcore crowd like us here, who will remain interested regardless, but I feel as if the casual collectors will grow more disinterested the further we get away from the movies. Maybe they should consider the Moria staff as a LE release?

Same goes for the bow, although my interest in that is less than the staff, due mainly to my lack of space for displaying another horizontal collectible that long. I do like it better than the Hobbit Mirkwood one so I wish UC had released the LOTR one first. I guess one solution to the dilemma would be too simply alternate displaying them.
This Space for Rent

Funny, I was just having this conversation with someone today about how they're waiting on the staff until the current stock sells some more. For the record, I did my part about bought that GtG Hobbit staff. And so, the wait for the next one commences. :crazy:

The Dain Helm and Hammer look fantastic! Definitely taking a reserve spot near the top of my Hobbit "to-buy" list. Counting down the months until those full-time paychecks start rolling in and right over to UC. :O
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Random note, United told me that the Mirkwood Infantry Sword is now available and they are fulfilling my smaller pre-order. Before they ship at the end of the week, they wanted to know if I needed any more. Anyone want to pre-order/order the Mirkwood sword now?

Also, just got the notification that there are only the following quantities left of HEWS and Hadhafang:
UC1298 200
UC1373 400

I was told that they are not on re-order so once they are gone from stock, they will be gone unless they do another re-issue run.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Fingolfin wrote:I think my eyes are playing tricks on me. Does anyone else see the Regal Sword of Thorin for sale on Budk for $107? There's simply no way that can be right. If it is I'm going to have to buy it. :O
You shouldn't even be wasting time asking about it.
Meaning, if you see something like that, go ahead and order it.
If it's not for real, you'll know soon enough.
If it is the real deal, you've scored big.
Carpe diem, strike while the iron is hot, fortune favors the brave, etc.
(Converse: "He who hesitates is lost."....so don't be a loser xP )

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

The polearms are shipping now. I just got one in the mail, but I have not yet opened it yet. I'm afraid to, after seeing the production sample I posted about above.

The Dain Helm and War hammer are in full production, so I expect we will see those in a few months. I also expect a tooling sample of the Thranduil scabbard/frog any day now. I'm not sure about the status of the other projects I worked up for United, like Bard's sword.
KRDS

Last week I got the following estimates:

Item UC3043 the Hobbit Mirkwood polearm arrived today.

Item UC3166 is the Hobbit War Hammer of Dain Ironfoot, it is coming out 1st week of November.

Item UC3167 is the Hobbit Helm of Dain the Ironfoot, it is coming out the 1st or 2nd week of November.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Thanks, Kit, as always, for giving us your time.

In your earlier comment you mentioned the colour difference from what you were expecting, but that it wasn't that bad and seemed to come down to a matter of preference on your part. Are you saying now there is another issue that is making you reluctant to open the sample they sent you, or are you just dreading seeing the final colour they settled on?

In either case, when you do open it, could you please post comparison photos between your original proto and this final production sample? When you have time, of course.

Rev, I remain on track for buying a polearm from you as soon as you receive your allotment. As for the release dates for the helm and hammer, they seem typically and overly optimistic given what Kit just said. I guess we wait as usual. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Here are some crappy iphone pix. Overall, it's OK. Not great. The quality is below par compared to the stuff made in United's sword factory. Blade warpage does not seem to be an issue, but the finish is much rougher than either of the prototypes I approved. I got two of these and the blade and handle finish has scratches here and there on both, as you can see in the pix. A few really bad scratches. Some epoxy is on one of the blades too. The packaging is not heavy duty like United's swords and half the zip ties were broken upon opening the box, which is probably why the side of the blades got scuffed and scratched. One of the blade tips had no tip protector so the tip got bent in shipping.

I did not shoot the little display plaque, but it's a typical Hobbit wood display with silk screened graphics.

Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
KRDS

Such a pity, considering how long we had to wait for this replica, only to have it marred further by slipshod packaging. I wonder some times if the few bucks UC saves on cutting corners like this is really worth all the returns they are chancing in the end.

Poor decisions by people who could care less about customers, as usual.

Hope mine arrives ok, whenever Rev signals he has one for me.

Thanks for the pics, Kit.
This Space for Rent

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”