Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Valkrist wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:10 pm I'd almost bet my life that if UC made Boromir's shield today, that it would be nearly all resin. I just don't see them making that detailed boss out of metal, or covering that much surface in actual leather. It probably wouldn't even come with the strap. I know I'm sounding extra cynical here, but a properly made Boromir shield would cost way more than UC would ever want to charge us for it. If they're going to cut corners, which they assuredly will, I'm 100% happy with your version. It's the reason I'm very likely to not replace my Eomer or Theoden helms with UC resin versions. I'm a stickler for accuracy too, but nothing beats the feel of a metal replica.

As for the Horn, yeah, I would only upgrade mine if the brass pieces were actual metal as well.
Even it it wasn't resin you'd still be disappointed. I remember when I got my original 2nd Age Gondorian Shield. I was stunned. At the cheap wood and thin metal accents on it. At a distance the shield is absolutely gorgeous, but every time I've put it in someones hands the first thing they say is, "Oh....." lol

As for whoever Drew is, I have no idea as to his actual employment. Be it at United or elsewhere. But I was actually referring to the UC facebook page post not Drew's in the collector's group, asking what "item were missing from their LOTR line?"

I asked a UC Rep about the "potential Gimli axe rerelease for 2020." They said they only thing in their system was the Bearded Axe so unless its a new item (guessing the other two were pre bankruptcy items?) that it'd be that one, if they decide to do it. The rep said they won't have anything on paper until the beginning of next year since its just speculation at this point.

Cosmetically I like the polyresin version more, but I have the worst luck with polyresin pieces and wasn't willing to risk it. So I lucked out when those sold out and sellers on eBay starting listing them for $800 - $1000 and found a little lonesome original shield for $225 lol. And got a $100 partial refund because they couldn't find the handle or banner. So $125 for an original was great for me! Incomplete or not.

On another note, its been a year but I FINALLY opened my Bard sword. gotta say, an immediately like for me. Looks damn good IMO. No real gripes, QC seems good on it. The embossing on the leather is fantastic. The fullers.... may as well just be painted on, basically no stock removal, but the blade isn't really that thick either in it's defense, its very light. I may snag another one since BUDK has them marked down (already).

I guess the two Facebook threads and the LOTR Collectors Group Facebook poll are more or less tapped out now.

Here are the top 10 in the LOTR Collectors Group poll - This was a checklist poll
‪‪Horn of Gondor‬ 70
Aeglos - Spear of Gil Galad 41
Shield of Boromir 38
‪Lothlorian Bow of Legolas‬ 35
‪Gimli's throwing axes‬ 31
Merry and Pippin's Lorien knives/daggers 28
More scabbards 27
Helm of Eomer 26
Sword of Faramir 21
‪Sword of Denethor‬ 19

Here are the top 10 most requested in the Facebook threads, where you had to type in the items you want to see made. The results are very similar to the 2018 and 2014 polls.
Aeglos - Spear of Gil Galad 8 (+27 upvotes)
‪Sword of Denethor‬ 7 (+ 24 upvotes)
‪Horn of Gondor‬ - Boromir's horn 7(+ 23 upvotes)
‪Ringwraith sword #3‬ 6 (+ 35 upvotes)
Sword of Faramir 7 (+ 7 upvotes)
Helm of Eomer 7
Merry and Pippin's Lorien knives/daggers 7
‪Merry and Pippins Weathertop swords‬ 6 (+ 3 upvotes)
‪Sauron's sword‬ 6 (+ 3 upvotes)
‪Reissue of Isildur’s sword‬ 5 (+ 8 upvotes)
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: I guess the two Facebook threads and the LOTR Collectors Group Facebook poll are more or less tapped out now.

Here are the top 10 in the LOTR Collectors Group poll - This was a checklist poll
‪‪Horn of Gondor‬ 70
Aeglos - Spear of Gil Galad 41
Shield of Boromir 38
‪Lothlorian Bow of Legolas‬ 35
‪Gimli's throwing axes‬ 31
Merry and Pippin's Lorien knives/daggers 28
More scabbards 27
Helm of Eomer 26
Sword of Faramir 21
‪Sword of Denethor‬ 19

Here are the top 10 most requested in the Facebook threads, where you had to type in the items you want to see made. The results are very similar to the 2018 and 2014 polls.
Aeglos - Spear of Gil Galad 8 (+27 upvotes)
‪Sword of Denethor‬ 7 (+ 24 upvotes)
‪Horn of Gondor‬ - Boromir's horn 7(+ 23 upvotes)
‪Ringwraith sword #3‬ 6 (+ 35 upvotes)
Sword of Faramir 7 (+ 7 upvotes)
Helm of Eomer 7
Merry and Pippin's Lorien knives/daggers 7
‪Merry and Pippins Weathertop swords‬ 6 (+ 3 upvotes)
‪Sauron's sword‬ 6 (+ 3 upvotes)
‪Reissue of Isildur’s sword‬ 5 (+ 8 upvotes)
.... And as a result of this poll, United Cutlery is proud to announce it will re-issue Anduril, in special collectors yellow packaging, plus we've listened to your requests, and decided to give you what you asked for - Fatty Bolgers footstool, accurately reproduced in balsa wood!

In all seriousness, I hope the polls will lead to some new products

I'm not on Facebook so I wasn't able to vote on anything but I thought I'd take a look and see what the comments were. Looks like it's pretty much across the board of what everyone wants from new items to reissues. My number 1 has been the Lothlorian bow but being that they issued his short bow just a few years ago, I don't think they'll want to bring out another bow just yet. Although all the various Gandalf staves appear to sell very well. Other than that, scabbards would be very welcome- both new and reissued.

Kit, I saw one person comment that they wanted the Gimli axes brought back and UC replied that they're looking into it for next year. Do you know which axe they're thinking of bringing back?

Ronin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:12 am Kit, I saw one person comment that they wanted the Gimli axes brought back and UC replied that they're looking into it for next year. Do you know which axe they're thinking of bringing back?
Not sure, but they reissue the battle axe and walking axe every few years, so it is probably one of those. The bearded axe has been reissued only once, I believe, but I doubt it is that one.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:35 am
Ronin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:12 am Kit, I saw one person comment that they wanted the Gimli axes brought back and UC replied that they're looking into it for next year. Do you know which axe they're thinking of bringing back?
Not sure, but they reissue the battle axe and walking axe every few years, so it is probably one of those. The the bearded axe has been reissued only once I believe, but I doubt it is that one.
I messaged and asked. UC Facebook rep said, while its not confirmed, that the only thing in the United catalog at this time is the Bearded Axe. So unless they decide on a new release (or re-release of another axe) that person on the UC chat's end says maybe the Bearded Axe, but any axe returning is not confirmed as of this time. More TBD in 2020.

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:33 am .... And as a result of this poll, United Cutlery is proud to announce it will re-issue Anduril, in special collectors yellow packaging, plus we've listened to your requests, and decided to give you what you asked for - Fatty Bolgers footstool, accurately reproduced in balsa wood!

In all seriousness, I hope the polls will lead to some new products
They always have, but considering the LOTR/Hobbit line sales only support about one new product a year, it's slow. Hopefully collector interest will peak again once the LOTR Amazon series buzz really cranks up.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:20 am I think both Legolas FOTR bows/quivers would sell very well. My work was essentially completed for both several years ago. Hopefully the trigger will get pulled for the Lothlorien one in the future.
What other items have you already completed work on that hasn't yet been produced? Do you or UC figure out the cost break down to produce an item and if it's viable to be made or not?

A good question, N2, but j wonder how valid that information is today. The key words in Kit's post are "several years ago".

As we well know, nothing stays the same price for very long: economies change; inflation goes up; materials and labour costs increase; idiotic tariffs go into place; dumb trade wars get started; etc.

Obviously the foundation of Kit's prelim work is just as valid now as it was back whenever he prepared it, but the feasibility of UC making it now may well have changed. It's like Weta making mini helms out of metal a few years ago, and now cheaping out with resin versions that cost twice as much as the originals.
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:37 pm What other items have you already completed work on that hasn't yet been produced? Do you or UC figure out the cost break down to produce an item and if it's viable to be made or not?
Not much. I have old pattern and CAD drawings for Arwen's dagger, Haldir's sword, Sauron's sword, and three or four other items that were never made. Most of the items that I had completed work on that were put on hold have now been made. Eomer's sword drawings were mostly completed way back during the original LOTR line, as well as well as a few other items, like Sauron's mace. Some things were costed out and shot down back at the old UC, like Sauron's sword, and Suaron's mace, when we considered attempting that one in metal. Others never got that far.

The plan for the bows was to do the the brown Legolas bow and quiver from BOFA - same one he had in FOTR - after BOFA was released. Then the Lothlorien bow and quiver would follow that. Both were put on hold after sales for the first two Hobbit bows slowed down. We should have done those first.
KRDS

Hmph.
The more Elven stuff UC throws out the more money I get to save I guess lol. Saddening but financially beneficial hahaha. The Drew guy is mentioning polyresin and the Horn of Gondor over in the Facebook group. I get it ... But, I'm not getting it, if it happens. Too much broken polyresin in the mail already for me. Not bashing it, totally understand the what and why. But. Nah for me.

The poll has the word 'functional' next to Boromir's Horn. I'm sorry, but functional and polyresin don't go together in any universe, unless the 'function' is to be on display. I get that UC isn't going to be ordering 1000 identical oxen horns from some imaginary ranch, but then don't make claims that you can't support. At this point, it looks like if they ever go near this thing, I'll save my money and keep the one I have.

As for bows or anything else short of scabbards or smaller things like daggers, it will be an easy choice for me: no. Why? No more room.
This Space for Rent

The problem is once you sell a Boromir Horn that is advertised as functional, people are going to expect that means it will reproduce the same sound that we hear in the movie. I'm not an expert on musical instruments, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. Reproducing proper acoustics is a little more complicated than simply placing two holes at either end of an object.

As for it not being UC saying that, that's probably a good thing because I think the chances of producing a properly sounding Boromir Horn as are about as good as UC making Dramborleg. :crazy2:
This Space for Rent

Growing up in Georgia we've had horns like that. In my experience none sounded at all like you see and hear in film. But, could just be the horns we had. I don't know. Don't even know what they came off of honestly. Not as curved as Boromir's horn. I was little back then lol. I'm just not too excited to spend money on something in resin again and have it arrive broken... again. So, best I can figure. Go buy something unlicensed again. United just posted how they love that hahaha.

I get some items HAVE to be resin or not be made at all. And thats fine. Elven shields, big Dwarven helms. But. Yeah. I literally starting giving some of my collection away last month just to clear out the space. So, I'm already in no rush to just buy whatever they decide to roll with. Doubled down by if its polyresin. I know me not buying 1 or 2 of an item doesn't affect the endgame. But I'm also thinking of how many time I've read from others on other forums, "I'm done with polyresin, no more." So... I don't know. We shall see. The whole fictional world of Tolkien... and the people want a horn... That they could've bought from BlindSquirrelProps 4 years ago lol.

I'll just keep looking for double or triples of Gimli Axes to add to my collection in the meantime.

I think when you hear people say "I'm done with polyresin" they mean swords. Such as the regal sword or Balin's mace. People want those in metal even though they aren't feasible in casting or production cost is outrageous. Bows, staves, horns, shields, helmets, etc are all fine with me as long as they are accurate, sturdy and painted well. There are a lot of other replicas (mine included) out there that aren't 100% accurate and most want a licensed version if possible.

Kit, it sounds like a lot of the new pieces requested you haven't had the prop or done preliminary work on. Can you still get access to some of these props from Weta or the studio or would you have to just work from photos?

I avoided the staffs all together after my luck. Even being 3 hours from their warehouse I've had too much stuff damaged in transit. I opted for one of Wicked Replicas Gandalf staffs. Aside from a seam in the latex its good enough. And I can walk with it (Ren. Faire), swing it, display it. its not fragile. Bonus it was only $100. So, no reason to spend $189.99 on the other.

JJByers wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 am I avoided the staffs all together after my luck. Even being 3 hours from their warehouse I've had too much stuff damaged in transit. I opted for one of Wicked Replicas Gandalf staffs. Aside from a seam in the latex its good enough. And I can walk with it (Ren. Faire), swing it, display it. its not fragile. Bonus it was only $100. So, no reason to spend $189.99 on the other.
I have all of the resin staves and some from Weta. I live in Washington and have never had any of them broken in transit. UC adds a metal support pole inside when casting them which makes them very sturdy and heavy. Some of the excess flash, clean up, and paint applications could be better. They are accurate and decently priced in my opinion, and grateful to have them in my collection.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:10 am Kit, it sounds like a lot of the new pieces requested you haven't had the prop or done preliminary work on. Can you still get access to some of these props from Weta or the studio or would you have to just work from photos?
No way to get props from Weta now, but I actually have most of the props that were in the top 10 in the polls. I sold Boromir's shield and Faramir's sword prop, but I photographed and measured them before selling. The only props I know I never had were the Merry/Pippin Lothlorien knife, Denethor's sword, and the Horn of Gondor, but I have good photo references for all. I actually got to photograph and measure the split version of the horn up close at the Indiana LOTR exhibition many years back. I can remember if I ever had the 3rd Ringwraith sword prop, but I have prop master photographs and measurements.

JJByers wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:48 am Growing up in Georgia we've had horns like that. In my experience none sounded at all like you see and hear in film.
Valkrist wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:39 am people are going to expect that means it will reproduce the same sound that we hear in the movie. I'm not an expert on musical instruments, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.
I have a few horns and the one you hear in FOTR is very close to what a cow horn that size actually sounds like, although I think it's pitched down a bit lower. If you just blow through the hole like normal you don't get the trumpet/bugle sound. The sound is made by pursing your lips and making a buzzing sound when you blow through it, exactly how you blow through a metal trumpet or bugle. You can even hum to a pitch as you do it to make the sound higher or lower. I think it would be relatively easy to make a poly horn that has a similar sound.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

Hahahaha. Yessir I know how to work a horn lol. Ours weren't as large or curved as the one Boromir had though. God that just sounds dirty. We're done with that part of the convo now. And guys don't get me wrong, I want UC's Gandalf staves... staffs... eh. But one thing that will set me back down the path of 6 or 7 cracked Regal Swords, would be spending about $600 only to get a delivery of disappointment. Believe me, the moment the Pipe Staff came back my first thought was, "now is the time if I wanna jump."

N2darkness wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:31 am I have all of the resin staves and some from Weta. I live in Washington and have never had any of them broken in transit.
I got two of each of United's polyresin replicas, except that awful Thranduil staff. I think the only ones that arrived broken were both Dain hammers.

I was very unlucky Weta's staffs though, as nearly everything was broken, or began to crack after within the first year. I think the FOTR pipe staff was the only one I received that was not broken.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:50 am I got two of each of United's polyresin replicas, except that awful Thranduil staff. I think the only ones that arrived broken were both Dain hammers.

I was very unlucky Weta's staffs though, as nearly everything was broken, or began to crack after within the first year. I think the FOTR pipe staff was the only one I received that was not broken.
Did you have problems with Radagast's staff? I haven't had any cracking with that one. My Saruman though arrived with some damage and cracks at the seams (I got a partial refund credit). I plan on repainting the sphere eventually. Did you ever refinish yours? I remember you posting a photo of the paint being stripped off and you were thinking of replacing it with a blown glass sphere.

N2darkness wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:19 am Did you have problems with Radagast's staff? I haven't had any cracking with that one. My Saruman though arrived with some damage and cracks at the seams (I got a partial refund credit). I plan on repainting the sphere eventually. Did you ever refinish yours? I remember you posting a photo of the paint being stripped off and you were thinking of replacing it with a blown glass sphere.
The shaft was fine on my Radagast staff, but a couple of the crown branches developed cracks over time. Now that I think of it, I don't recall my Weta AUJ Gandalf staff having any cracks. Just missing paint in a few places.

The Saruman staff is sitting in my growing "to be finished" corner. I re-shaped the fins to be more accurate and I thought I had someone to make the glass sphere, but that never worked out. I decided to just re finish the existing one, then I got distracted with other things and never got back to it.
KRDS

Of my two Weta staves, the Radagast one is holding up nicely, and so too was my Thranduil one, or so I thought.

During the recent renovation of my collection room, when I went to put the Thranduil staff and plaque back on the wall, I noticed that a pinky nail-sized flake of paint had come off the surface of the staff and was stuck to that awful rubberized grip-of-death thing they call a plaque. :'(
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 am The shaft was fine on my Radagast staff, but a couple of the crown branches developed cracks over time. Now that I think of it, I don't recall my Weta AUJ Gandalf staff having any cracks. Just missing paint in a few places.

The Saruman staff is sitting in my growing "to be finished" corner. I re-shaped the fins to be more accurate and I thought I had someone to make the glass sphere, but that never worked out. I decided to just re finish the existing one, then I got distracted with other things and never got back to it.
Before I packed up my Radagast staff is was fine, but that was 2 years ago now. I'll be checking it here shortly to see as you have me a bit worried :huh:

I know all to well about distractions and a pile of projects. With my house renovation still going on slowly all of my prop work has pretty much stopped. I have a whole cabinet of things that need to be completed and a bunch more things I want to do. It seems like the list will never end. I plan on doing the same things with my Saruman staff as well.

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:14 am Just an update to the question of which Gimli axe is being reissued - it looks like it will be the bearded axe.
Thanks for the update! That's great news - since I missed out on the bearded and walking axes :)

Just a question out of pure curiosity : will the new run be made the same as the original? If I remember correctly, the original was using tool steel (D2?) axe heads and had brass (or brass plated) parts. BudK website is currently saying "stainless steel" with "gold engravings".
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Oh awesome! I've wanted the Bearded axe so this is very welcome news. It's nice to see UC reissuing the older pieces I never got a chance to buy. Much easier on my wallet than Ebay. Hopefully the Walking axe will also come back soon.

I'm sure it's frustrating for older collectors to see a higher frequency of reissues rather than newer offerings but hopefully the increase in availability of older items will entice newer collectors to join in, thus broadening the collector base and increasing the sales potential of some of the more obscure Middle-Earth goodies.

Jash wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am Just a question out of pure curiosity : will the new run be made the same as the original? If I remember correctly, the original was using tool steel (D2?) axe heads and had brass (or brass plated) parts. BudK website is currently saying "stainless steel" with "gold engravings".
There were never gold engravings on that axe. It will be identical to the original production. The axe head was investment cast 2Cr13 stainless steel, same as the other Gimli axes. Never D2.
KRDS

Kinda been quiet in here so I hope you guys don't mind me asking about something I'm curious of. Has UC ever reissued any scabbards? The only ones I own are Anduril's and Sting's (Hobbit version). I'd love to get the others without paying the hefty premium in the current seller's market. I wonder if UC is considering bringing back any? While most buyers I assume only have interest in the sword and not the scabbards, there's still gotta be enough interest for at least one more run of scabbards, no? Anduril, Glamdring, Sting, Fighting Knives, and Ranger sword are all popular items. Surely there's enough interest even among moderate collectors to make it worthwhile for UC.

Ronin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm Kinda been quiet in here so I hope you guys don't mind me asking about something I'm curious of. Has UC ever reissued any scabbards? The only ones I own are Anduril's and Sting's (Hobbit version). I'd love to get the others without paying the hefty premium in the current seller's market. I wonder if UC is considering bringing back any? While most buyers I assume only have interest in the sword and not the scabbards, there's still gotta be enough interest for at least one more run of scabbards, no? Anduril, Glamdring, Sting, Fighting Knives, and Ranger sword are all popular items. Surely there's enough interest even among moderate collectors to make it worthwhile for UC.
They re-released the Anduril scabbard a few years back but that’s the only one they’ve ever re-issued as far as I’m aware. I wish I had picked it up but I didn’t have funds at the time. I still don’t have Anduril at this point but I imagine Anduril will continue to be made for some time yet.

I think there may have been talk when the first and second Hobbit movies were out about re-releasing the blue Glamdring scabbard and also doing a newer version of the Legolas scabbards with a harness so they could be worn on your back. Those plans never came to fruition though, sadly.

Ronin if you are a fan of Elven weapons and Thranduil’s sword in particular I’d recommend picking up his scabbard/frog now before it sells out. It’s one of my favourite pieces.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 am
Ronin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm Kinda been quiet in here so I hope you guys don't mind me asking about something I'm curious of. Has UC ever reissued any scabbards? The only ones I own are Anduril's and Sting's (Hobbit version). I'd love to get the others without paying the hefty premium in the current seller's market. I wonder if UC is considering bringing back any? While most buyers I assume only have interest in the sword and not the scabbards, there's still gotta be enough interest for at least one more run of scabbards, no? Anduril, Glamdring, Sting, Fighting Knives, and Ranger sword are all popular items. Surely there's enough interest even among moderate collectors to make it worthwhile for UC.
They re-released the Anduril scabbard a few years back but that’s the only one they’ve ever re-issued as far as I’m aware. I wish I had picked it up but I didn’t have funds at the time. I still don’t have Anduril at this point but I imagine Anduril will continue to be made for some time yet.

I think there may have been talk when the first and second Hobbit movies were out about re-releasing the blue Glamdring scabbard and also doing a newer version of the Legolas scabbards with a harness so they could be worn on your back. Those plans never came to fruition though, sadly.

Ronin if you are a fan of Elven weapons and Thranduil’s sword in particular I’d recommend picking up his scabbard/frog now before it sells out. It’s one of my favourite pieces.
Thanks Lindir. Yes I do have the Thranduil! I bought it with the anticipation that it would sell out eventually as you mentioned. The only scabbard I had a chance to buy but passed on was Orcrist because of the mixed reviews. Part of me wishes I had bought it as they were really cheap and unlikely to return.

I feel the same way about the Orcrist scabbard at times but I remind myself that I would be disappointed with it. Not to knock UC for it as I know doing it in metal would have been difficult and expensive but I’m just not a fan.

I’m a bit nervous about buying polystone pieces after my Sauron helmet developed a crack on the front most spike. I’ve not noticed cracks anywhere else but I still worry about it.

Lindir wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:43 am
I’m a bit nervous about buying polystone pieces after my Sauron helmet developed a crack on the front most spike. I’ve not noticed cracks anywhere else but I still worry about it.
Funny you should mention that... I was walking by my Sauron helm a few days ago and I have it angled so that when I enter the room, I see it from behind first, and I noticed a sliver of light shining through an area where it shouldn't. It's on one of the curved ridges that come together under the chin to cover part of the neck right at the front. I was shocked and saddened at the same time to see a treasured collectible from 15 years ago starting to feel the effects of age. I managed to use a bit of glue from the inside and close the gap a little, but the material is so hard that I wasn't 100% successful. I do know for a fact that this didn't happen due to mishandling. I think the material is simply aging and shrinking with time and cracks can and do occur. By the way, these UC pieces are not polystone. I believe they were made of fibreglass resin in the early days, and UC now uses polyurethane resin, but Kit will correct me if am misremembering.

Speaking of Kit: any updates on Guthwine? Now that I've cancelled my order with Indy, I'm anxious to see the UC version come out. Between the time it's taking for either one to see the light of day, I'm firmly convinced this sword earns the title of Most Cursed Collectible of all time. :O
This Space for Rent

I’m going to have a go at repairing mine at some point. Not sure what method to go with just yet though. What sort of glue did you use Val?

I have the second edition of Sauron’s helmet (sorry) which was made of Polyresin (whoops realised I said polystone before but yes mine is the resin version) as opposed to the fibreglass original.

Yes I too would like to hear more about Guthwine. I can’t wait to see the promo pics when it’s done.

Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:58 am
Lindir wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:43 am
Funny you should mention that... I was walking by my Sauron helm a few days ago and I have it angled so that when I enter the room, I see it from behind first, and I noticed a sliver of light shining through an area where it shouldn't. It's on one of the curved ridges that come together under the chin to cover part of the neck right at the front. I was shocked and saddened at the same time to see a treasured collectible from 15 years ago starting to feel the effects of age. I managed to use a bit of glue from the inside and close the gap a little, but the material is so hard that I wasn't 100% successful. I do know for a fact that this didn't happen due to mishandling. I think the material is simply aging and shrinking with time and cracks can and do occur. By the way, these UC pieces are not polystone. I believe they were made of fibreglass resin in the early days, and UC now uses polyurethane resin, but Kit will correct me if am misremembering.

Speaking of Kit: any updates on Guthwine? Now that I've cancelled my order with Indy, I'm anxious to see the UC version come out. Between the time it's taking for either one to see the light of day, I'm firmly convinced this sword earns the title of Most Cursed Collectible of all time. :O
I just checked the description for the mace on Budk and it says fiberglass resin in one part and polyresin in another part (which fiberglass is a type of polyresin). The United Cutlery website description says polyresin.

I have to say I was thoroughly impressed with the Sauron Mace. It has the look and feel of metal unlike other poly replicas *cough* WETA *cough*
Last edited by Ronin on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:58 am By the way, these UC pieces are not polystone. I believe they were made of fibreglass resin in the early days, and UC now uses polyurethane resin, but Kit will correct me if am misremembering.
It's difficult to say a specific replica is one type of resin or another because a lot of times they a mix different types. A lot of those replicas have a fiberglass reinforced core with polyresin skin, or polystone core with polyresin skin. I think only some of the bases and wall displays were polystone. I generally don't like that type of resin because it is so brittle, but sometimes the weight the stone powder adds is needed.
Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:58 am Speaking of Kit: any updates on Guthwine?
Tooling is complete and they are testing parts. Tooling delays and getting the twisted wire diameter and twist right dragged development out, so these won't ship until first quarter now. I saw a mostly complete sword a few weeks back, but the brass plating coloe was not right. I expect a new sample soon, so it's. getting close. The Eomer helm is proceeding too. It's essentially a poly statue, but it will have a real leather cowl and blond hair mane. The steel and brass parts will be polyresin, and a poly base styled like the other statue helms.
Lindir wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 am I think there may have been talk when the first and second Hobbit movies were out about re-releasing the blue Glamdring scabbard and also doing a newer version of the Legolas scabbards with a harness so they could be worn on your back. Those plans never came to fruition though, sadly.
I thought they did rerelease the blue Glamdring scabbard since the Hobbit movies came out? Striders scabbard as well, if I recall correctly.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:07 am Tooling is complete and they are testing parts. Tooling delays and getting the twisted wire diameter and twist right dragged development out, so these won't ship until first quarter now. I saw a mostly complete sword a few weeks back, but the brass plating coloe was not right. I expect a new sample soon, so it's. getting close. The Eomer helm is proceeding too. It's essentially a poly statue, but it will have a real leather cowl and blond hair mane. The steel and brass parts will be polyresin, and a poly base styled like the other statue helms.
I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished prototype photos as I've been checking both BudK and United's websites everyday looking for a listing. How far away is Eomer's helm? Any other news of things that may go into development?

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”