Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

N2darkness wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished prototype photos as I've been checking both BudK and United's websites everyday looking for a listing. How far away is Eomer's helm? Any other news of things that may go into development?
Boromir's horn is in the works, but nothing else that I can talk about at the moment. I'm working on some display ideas for the horn at the moment.

Eomer's helm is a long way off. Probably next Summer, if I had to guess.
Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:56 pm Kit - side question, but do you know if UC ever made the full run of Mirkwood helmets? I'd love to get one but they never come up for sale, wondering how many were actually made?
I think there were only two runs so far, so I doubt the edition is complete. It seems they only run 300-600 at a time, leaving lots of sell through time in between, which spreads the production out over several years. I know the last batch of Sauron helms is going to be made soon, but I have not heard about any of the others.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:20 pm
N2darkness wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished prototype photos as I've been checking both BudK and United's websites everyday looking for a listing. How far away is Eomer's helm? Any other news of things that may go into development?
Boromir's horn is in the works, but nothing else that I can talk about at the moment. I'm working on some display ideas for the horn at the moment.

Eomer's helm is a long way off. Probably next Summer, if I had to guess.
Wow, that's very cool and I'm sure will sell very well. I'll be definitely be picking one up. I'm assuming polyresin with a leather braided strap?

When you say long way off and only next summer I'm thinking well over a year as UC hasn't been super quick with any releases lately. I'm also very glad there are other things in the works even if you can't say what they are as that means there is further interest and UC is willing to make items fans want.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:38 pm Wow, that's very cool and I'm sure will sell very well. I'll be definitely be picking one up. I'm assuming polyresin with a leather braided strap?
Yes, and you will be able to blow through it like a real horn. I gave up on trying to make the metal parts in real metal - too many tolerance and fit problems due to the varying poly shrinkage tolerances. I'm working on some brass foil-over-poly effects. Not sure that's going to work though.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:24 am Yes, and you will be able to blow through it like a real horn. I gave up on trying to make the metal parts in real metal - too many tolerance and fit problems due to the varying poly shrinkage tolerances. I'm working on some brass foil-over-poly effects. Not sure that's going to work though.
That's very neat that it will actually "be functional" as well. I'm also curious as to the brass foil . I've had some very mixed results with it and might add to the labor costs and become costly. But some used sparingly in some areas may add to the realism of metal. I think that is what Weta did with a lot of there original mini helms and busts to add the metallic shine is select places. My guess due to manufacture needs a urethane or autobody metallic brass paint would be easier beside having to mask the different areas (assuming it is cast in one piece).

I wonder if the blurring denotes an attempt to hide the fact that's only concept art at this point, or could it be an actual prototype? It certainly seems further along in terms of completion than Kit has indicated, if that's the case.

Without being able to view it in detail for now, and ignoring the stand, it looks exactly like Thranduil's version, with the one notable exception being that the horsehead nose guard is actually solid (as seen from the side and looking at the horse's jaw) whereas Thranduil's version is hollow. UC's version would be more accurate in this instance.
This Space for Rent

Ronin wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm
Sam's sword is coming back? Sweet!!!

Curious...is this the first time it's been reissued?
I don't recall exactly but I think this might be the second time. Do be aware though that this is the shiny, open edition version of the sword. Back when it first came out, there was also limited version (600 pieces, I think) that was labelled as part of the Museum Collection line, and was properly aged and distressed to replicate the one Sam carried in the movies. This reissue is not that version.

As a point of curiosity, my Sam MC sword came with no UC stamp on the blade, and the COA number is #000. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:40 pm
Ronin wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm
Sam's sword is coming back? Sweet!!!

Curious...is this the first time it's been reissued?
I don't recall exactly but I think this might be the second time. Do be aware though that this is the shiny, open edition version of the sword. Back when it first came out, there was also limited version (600 pieces, I think) that was labelled as part of the Museum Collection line, and was properly aged and distressed to replicate the one Sam carried in the movies. This reissue is not that version.

As a point of curiosity, my Sam MC sword came with no UC stamp on the blade, and the COA number is #000. :huh:
Right, I figured it would be the open edition. The MC version is certainly the lovelier replica of the two but for the sake of a more uniform collection, I actually prefer having the basic version.

Another question for you all. Have any of you a desire for UC to produce actor scale versions of the two Hobbit swords? I'd like to have them myself.

Ronin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:52 pm Another question for you all. Have any of you a desire for UC to produce actor scale versions of the two Hobbit swords? I'd like to have them myself.
I have no desire for it. The only reason I can surmise that one would want it is for going in costume for CosPlay/Cons/RenFaires.
But i don't do CosPlay etc, so I have no need of it.
I prefer the weapons I have to reflect in size (if not in weight) their "story" counterparts.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:05 pm
Ronin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:52 pm Another question for you all. Have any of you a desire for UC to produce actor scale versions of the two Hobbit swords? I'd like to have them myself.
I have no desire for it. The only reason I can surmise that one would want it is for going in costume for CosPlay/Cons/RenFaires.
But i don't do CosPlay etc, so I have no need of it.
I prefer the weapons I have to reflect in size (if not in weight) their "story" counterparts.
Neither do I (cosplay that is). I guess my desire comes more from a curiosity to hold those swords from the perspective of a halfling. Same goes for the Dwarven weapons.

If only ever given one choice, I'd have to concur with you though. I'd prefer the "story" versions.

Ronin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:17 pm
Neither do I (cosplay that is). I guess my desire comes more from a curiosity to hold those swords from the perspective of a halfling. Same goes for the Dwarven weapons. If only ever given one choice, I'd have to concur with you though. I'd prefer the "story" versions.
I apologize for my tentative assumption about CosPlay etc.
I wouldn't have been surprised it it were the reason, and I do not criticise anyone for doing it.
In fact, I am usually pretty impressed with the ME costumes, replicas etc that people construct.
Some of what I have seen is absolutely jaw-droppingly accurate down to the minutest detail.

Deimos wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:24 pm
Ronin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:17 pm
Neither do I (cosplay that is). I guess my desire comes more from a curiosity to hold those swords from the perspective of a halfling. Same goes for the Dwarven weapons. If only ever given one choice, I'd have to concur with you though. I'd prefer the "story" versions.
I apologize for my tentative assumption about CosPlay etc.
I wouldn't have been surprised it it were the reason, and I do not criticise anyone for doing it.
In fact, I am usually pretty impressed with the ME costumes, replicas etc that people construct.
Some of what I have seen is absolutely jaw-droppingly accurate down to the minutest detail.
For what it's worth, I certainly took no offense to your assumption :) . Despite the fantastic costumes out there that are made and can be provided, I've never had a desire to cosplay in any capactiy although I have to admit if given the opportunity I might be convinced to try on Aragorn's royal armor from ROTK and take a once around a convention center :lol: .

Ronin wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm Right, I figured it would be the open edition. The MC version is certainly the lovelier replica of the two but for the sake of a more uniform collection, I actually prefer having the basic version.

Another question for you all. Have any of you a desire for UC to produce actor scale versions of the two Hobbit swords? I'd like to have them myself.
I feel the opposite way as consistency with how the weapons appeared in the movies is more important than having them all be shiny and new. If that were the criteria, I would be unable to collect all three Nazgul blades. Still, to each their own. :thumbs_up

As for actor-scale versions, I have no interest in those either for the same reasons Deimos gave. However, if you really want to know what it felt like for Elijah Wood to hold Sting, if you can track down the one released by Noble Collection, it was made in actor-scale. So is Peter Lyon's MSSC Sting, but you'd need about $10K and a lot of luck to track one of those down. :crazy:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:19 pm
Ronin wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm Right, I figured it would be the open edition. The MC version is certainly the lovelier replica of the two but for the sake of a more uniform collection, I actually prefer having the basic version.

I feel the opposite way as consistency with how the weapons appeared in the movies is more important than having them all be shiny and new. If that were the criteria, I would be unable to collect all three Nazgul blades. Still, to each their own. :thumbs_up

As for actor-scale versions, I have no interest in those either for the same reasons Deimos gave. However, if you really want to know what it felt like for Elijah Wood to hold Sting, if you can track down the one released by Noble Collection, it was made in actor-scale. So is Peter Lyon's MSSC Sting, but you'd need about $10K and a lot of luck to track one of those down. :crazy:
No that's a good point you make, Val. I definitely prefer screen accuracy over a clean "as first built" variation. I'm looking at it more as how an entire collection would look as a whole if you introduced a high end piece. For instance, and I maybe wrong in perceiving this, I wonder if having replicas as nice as MC Sting and MC Glamdring would make the rest of my collection of standard UC replicas look inferior by comparison. I also wonder if as a result, I might lament that the remainder of the UC LOTR/Hobbit line didn't also have their MC counterparts. Does that make sense?

Have you seen any of the Noble Collection replicas first-hand? I wonder how their quality is?🤔

I’m not Val, but I haven’t seen the Noble replicas firsthand with the exception of Deathless, Thorin’s sword which was somewhat nice but the painted blade was ugly. From what I can see from the in hand photos I’ve seen of their other swords they’re not for me. I remember when the first Hobbit movie came out and then Orcrist was released and we were all foaming at the mouth over images and I remember how ugly the Noble version looked. The blades don’t seem to have the right finishes and I know Sting has a plastic handle with a raised pattern - which is nice in some ways admittedly but it’s still plastic which I don’t like on swords haha the best thing about the Noble sword replicas are their plaques.

Those are just my own personal views though. I’m sure there are members here who probably do have some Noble swords who can give a better opinion on the matter. Don’t wanna seem like I’m bashing Noble though as their other replicas are really well done. I collect select wands from their Harry Potter line and have picked up nearly all the wands from their Fantastic Beasts line and they’re really well made and painted for the price. Their jewellery pieces and other prop replicas are really nice also.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Yes Lindir, you're not me, but you summed up my thoughts perfectly. lol :thumbs_up

The only Noble weapon replica I own is Deathless, and that's because UC never made one. I think it is a decent product, but the painted blade is a downer for sure. I don't recall hearing much about Sting at the time (like UC, it was their first sword, and that was over 15 years ago.) However, I do know the quality overall leaves a lot to be desired - the handle on Gimli's Battle Axe being made of something like particle board comes to mind - and they are riddled with inaccuracies by comparison to the actual props. UC did a far better job of coming closer to the originals, and building them more solidly in the process. Some of the plaques are nice when taken individually, but others are rather garish, and taken as a whole set, there is no uniformity to them unlike the UC ones.

As for your comment on how introducing MC weapons into one's collection might alter the visual aesthetic, I honestly wouldn't worry too much. Neither the MC Sting or MC Glamdring are so weathered that they stick out, and the upgrade in materials is not so obvious to the average person at all. So long as you display them without those boxes they came in, you would be fine. I have my MC Sting is a horizontal display case with other things. As for the MC Samwise, there was nothing particularly special about its construction other than the fact that it was limited and weathered. As I think it was done in the post-bankruptcy UC days, many question why the MC label was even attached to it as it does not warrant that classification. Now, if you were to introduce one of Weta's MSSC swords, then for sure there would be a glaring difference between those five-digit swords and UC's replicas, but on the flip side of that, if you can afford one or more of those, that's a nice problem to have! :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Lindir wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:35 am I’m not Val, but I haven’t seen the Noble replicas firsthand with the exception of Deathless, Thorin’s sword which was somewhat nice but the painted blade was ugly. From what I can see from the in hand photos I’ve seen of their other swords they’re not for me. I remember when the first Hobbit movie came out and then Orcrist was released and we were all foaming at the mouth over images and I remember how ugly the Noble version looked. The blades don’t seem to have the right finishes and I know Sting has a plastic handle with a raised pattern - which is nice in some ways admittedly but it’s still plastic which I don’t like on swords haha the best thing about the Noble sword replicas are their plaques.

Those are just my own personal views though. I’m sure there are members here who probably do have some Noble swords who can give a better opinion on the matter. Don’t wanna seem like I’m bashing Noble though as their other replicas are really well done. I collect select wands from their Harry Potter line and have picked up nearly all the wands from their Fantastic Beasts line and they’re really well made and painted for the price. Their jewellery pieces and other prop replicas are really nice also.
Thanks for your input, Lindir. I agree about the plastic handles. Admittedly I've never been attracted to Noble's wares. Sting seems to be the only replica of theirs that looks closer than not in terms of accuracy. Their Glamdring and Orcrist look more off. The illuminated Gandalf staff they used to have looked okay despite being a three-piece design. The jewelry pieces are nice but I'd opt for the Weta versions before Noble.

Valkrist wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:32 am Yes Lindir, you're not me, but you summed up my thoughts perfectly. lol :thumbs_up

The only Noble weapon replica I own is Deathless, and that's because UC never made one. I think it is a decent product, but the painted blade is a downer for sure. I don't recall hearing much about Sting at the time (like UC, it was their first sword, and that was over 15 years ago.) However, I do know the quality overall leaves a lot to be desired - the handle on Gimli's Battle Axe being made of something like particle board comes to mind - and they are riddled with inaccuracies by comparison to the actual props. UC did a far better job of coming closer to the originals, and building them more solidly in the process. Some of the plaques are nice when taken individually, but others are rather garish, and taken as a whole set, there is no uniformity to them unlike the UC ones.

As for your comment on how introducing MC weapons into one's collection might alter the visual aesthetic, I honestly wouldn't worry too much. Neither the MC Sting or MC Glamdring are so weathered that they stick out, and the upgrade in materials is not so obvious to the average person at all. So long as you display them without those boxes they came in, you would be fine. I have my MC Sting is a horizontal display case with other things. As for the MC Samwise, there was nothing particularly special about its construction other than the fact that it was limited and weathered. As I think it was done in the post-bankruptcy UC days, many question why the MC label was even attached to it as it does not warrant that classification. Now, if you were to introduce one of Weta's MSSC swords, then for sure there would be a glaring difference between those five-digit swords and UC's replicas, but on the flip side of that, if you can afford one or more of those, that's a nice problem to have! :coolsmile
Oh boy could you imagine having the Weta swords?! I have and it always involves imagining winning the lottery first :lol: . Despite my reservations, which you've now eliminated anyway, I would still consider acquiring one or more of the three MC swords if the opportunity comes up. However if I never do, I'm more than satisfied with what the standard versions I already have :) .

When I first sought out Gimli's battle axe, I researched the Noble version and found it to be woefully undesirable and not near the quality of UC's version. Deathless was long gone by that point and I'm sure I would've bought if it was still available. After reading reviews of it though, I'm glad I missed out on it. Not just the paint job but apparently the construction on the handle made the blades wobble. Speaking of the blade, it's metal, correct? Not resin like the Regal Sword from UC was? I do like that about it at least. I read that UC had a Deathless prototype done but never brought them into production since Noble had already released their version. If UC ever released their Deathless, I'd be in for one for sure.

In the absence of not owning a replica of Deathless, I would still recommend buying the Noble one. I know that's not a ringing endorsement as it comes across as "Well, it's better than nothing!", but because despite its flaws, it's still a nice sword and rounds out the completist's collection quite nicely. From a couple of steps away, I don't find the colouring of the blade to be an issue, my handle does not rattle so it's not a pervasive issue, and the infamous blade warp is there but so slight that you have to lay the sword alongside a yardstick to see it. Honestly, if the colour of the hilt was just a smidge closer to the original, I'd say the Noble Deathless goes from acceptable to darn good.

It's really a pity and misstep for UC that they decided to cancel their version. With the bad rep that Noble's weapons have and the lack of exposure and collector base like UC does, I think it would have sold well regardless. I would have pick it up for sure as I waited a couple of years before even picking up Deathless.
This Space for Rent

Yeh I wish they had done Deathless. I would have broken my elf only rule for a lot of the dwarvern pieces from the Hobbit movies. To be fair, I’ve broken it quite a few times and it’s no longer really a rule, more of a guideline at this point haha but I love Balin’s mace from Weta and I think I would have loved it more from UC in the correct scale and made from metal.

There’s other pieces I would have loved to have seen made like Bifur’s spear. I hope one day we’ll see those but with the Hobbit movies being less popular, I doubt we will sadly.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Yeah, other than possibly Legolas' Mirkwood bow - which also appears in LOTR and thus stands a good chance - I doubt we will see any more weapons from the Hobbit movies. To be perfectly honest, I think it was well covered enough and I don't know that I would buy anything further from those movies in terms of weapon replicas, although as far as story significance, Bard's bow would be pretty cool.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:44 am In the absence of not owning a replica of Deathless, I would still recommend buying the Noble one. I know that's not a ringing endorsement as it comes across as "Well, it's better than nothing!", but because despite its flaws, it's still a nice sword and rounds out the completist's collection quite nicely. From a couple of steps away, I don't find the colouring of the blade to be an issue, my handle does not rattle so it's not a pervasive issue, and the infamous blade warp is there but so slight that you have to lay the sword alongside a yardstick to see it. Honestly, if the colour of the hilt was just a smidge closer to the original, I'd say the Noble Deathless goes from acceptable to darn good.

It's really a pity and misstep for UC that they decided to cancel their version. With the bad rep that Noble's weapons have and the lack of exposure and collector base like UC does, I think it would have sold well regardless. I would have pick it up for sure as I waited a couple of years before even picking up Deathless.
Deathless going for $500-$600 (USD) on ebay.
After I saw the insane amount of money people were paying for NC Staff of Gandalf (which went for $1600, I guess about 5 years ago) I bought Deathless for about $145 (free ship) as an investment.
The plan was (and still is) that if I can't sell it for an insane amount of money I would sell it for what I paid.
Of course, if UC comes out with one, then I pretty much sell it for a song to someone who would use it for Cons or CosPlay. :laugh:

I'd say your investment strategy is pretty safe as, unless Kit is holding something back, the chances of UC releasing Deathless one day is pretty much zero.

Still, there have been other investments that were considered sure things, such as the aforementioned NC Moria Staff, and even Weta's mini Minas Morgul, that are now practically worthless as newer, better versions have either been released or will be soon. It's a dangerous game, but it can be a fun one.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 am I'd say your investment strategy is pretty safe as, unless Kit is holding something back, the chances of UC releasing Deathless one day is pretty much zero.

Still, there have been other investments that were considered sure things, such as the aforementioned NC Moria Staff, and even Weta's mini Minas Morgul, that are now practically worthless as newer, better versions have either been released or will be soon.
It's a dangerous game, but it can be a fun one.
Yep....'zactly....
Which is why, at first, even knowing that it might be a good investment I held off when initial price was at least $100 higher (plus shipping).
It was only because of the significant price drop coupled with the free ship that I moved on it. I was willing to risk $150....not $300.

Is Deathless actually selling for that price? Or are you just seeing it listed for sale at that price? Like how the LE Anduril is always listed for $800-$1000 but actually sells for $400-$500 most of the time.

Another point, and something I see alot, back when Boromir's sword was a $1000 sword. Only so many are willing to spend that on something. I waited long enough and paid $237 for my Boromir sword (first run, not reissue.) As eventually collectors who are out to get a particular item no matter the cost will run out. And the "value" inevitably drops.

Just a pattern I've noticed over the years. These things have the potential to sell high. But if you're timing is off, you end up just holding onto something indefinitely until you make a decision to display it, sell it for what you can, or my case, give them or throw them away.

You are right, of course, about listing price vs actual sale price.
The NC [Moria] Staff was an anomaly, I think....it went for $1600 USD.
But it is still my hope to get a chunk of change out of Deathless.
And if demand drops or never materializes, that is a normal risk with collectible "investing".
I'm not in deep at all, and if I end up selling it for what I paid or even at a loss, well, c'est la vie *shrugs* .

Hey Kit, I know you're busy and haven't dropped by in some time, but if you read this at some point, some folks at FoU have asked UC if they will produce and release the remainder of the Mirkwood Elf Helms.

It seems they have been told the full edition was left unfinished, but after asking when the rest would be made, they were told that it had been cancelled. As we know, sometimes UC reps get easily confused and give out erroneous or misleading information.

Can you shed any light on this? Was the entire run of that helm made or not? If not, is this cancellation likely to be permanent or could the helm return one day?
This Space for Rent

Apparently Samwise's sword, the Bearded Axe, and Tauriel's Knives are also coming back.

It really feels like someone at UC (or Budk) just pulls item names randomly out of a hat once in a while, and presto! New old release!

I do wonder with all the production shutting down in China over the virus problems, if this is affecting the UC factory at all. The effects of the outbreak are beginning to be felt in many industry and financial sectors already.
This Space for Rent

Sam's sword and the Bearded Axe are a welcome return for myself but I do hope more new items are in the pipeline. We know Guthwine and Boromir's Horn are coming. I believe the new Amazon show will definitely resurge an interest in Middle-Earth but ONLY IF it's a good show which I have my doubts that it will be but we shall see. Between Star Wars and Star Trek, it seems like the ones in charge of those two franchises don't understand them very well. I doubt there's many out there that understand Tolkien either. But that's a topic for another thread :rolleye:

I noticed something interesting surfing around the interwebs just now. I see Budk is selling Darksword Armory swords including their LOTR replica/inspired swords line. I've never seen a license holder of a major franchise selling another company's unofficial replicas. When I first decided to jump into collecting Tolkien replicas, Darksword was one of the first companies I looked into. I liked the possibility of functional swords as opposed to wall hangers. Unfortunately they weren't accurate enough for me. Then I also learned of their unfavorable reputation in the sword community.

Still, this could open up some interesting possibilities if UC wanted to offer higher-end, high carbon counterparts to their standard replica line.

I also noticed BudK carrying DSA - and thought it quite odd.... especially since last year they made a FB statement as to how they want to crack down on unlicensed replicas out there... I noticed they're also carrying Windlass swords now too... that may be easier to comprehend because Museum Replicas has carried UC swords for a while.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I thought Budk had always carried Windlass products on and off over the years? UC - the old one and the current one - used Windlass as a vendor several times.

I'm pretty sure they have not yet made the full edition of the Mirkwood helm, as I mentioned here 4 or 5 months ago when i was asked. Another run has not been discussed that I am aware of, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. I know a new run of the sword of Eowyn is coming sometime later this year. Another run of Boromir swords, the bearded axe, and Sam's sword too, but I think I already mentioned those a while back. Seems like there were a few others too, but I can't recall now.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:11 pm I thought Budk had always carried Windlass products on and off over the years? UC - the old one and the current one - used Windlass as a vendor several times.

I'm pretty sure they have not yet made the full edition of the Mirkwood helm, as I mentioned here 4 or 5 months ago when i was asked. Another run has not been discussed that I am aware of, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. I know a new run of the sword of Eowyn is coming sometime later this year. Another run of Boromir swords, the bearded axe, and Sam's sword too, but I think I already mentioned those a while back. Seems like there were a few others too, but I can't recall now.
Oh so Eowyn IS coming back?! Great news! I thought UC decided against reissuing it. And Boromir too?!?!?! Wow that's fantastic! I thought I would never have a chance to get his sword.

Thanks for the update, Kit. This made my night.
Last edited by Ronin on Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”