Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 am Yes, but the brass color was still not a good match to the Theoden/Eowyn sword color, so I asked them to try again.
Kit, do you feel the estimated August arrival for Guthwine (which would normally translate to an of end-of-year retail date for consumers) is still realistic in terms of what is going on? China seems to have gotten a grip on this with no new cases being declared, and it won't be long before people start returning to work there, but supply remains precarious, and increasingly hostile rhetoric and finger-pointing from both China and the US isn't helping matters.

This is not a political debate question, just asking for your honest opinion on having Guthwine in our homes before 2021. :huh:
This Space for Rent

That is possible, but I have not approved anything so there is no estimated arrival date for this sword yet. Won't know that until production starts.

I have not heard of any delays caused by the Coronavirus in China - not in my industry anyway. Maybe for Apple there is. Most of that happened when they were on the Chinese New year holiday, so they would have been off work anyway. Everyone I work with over there has been back to work for several weeks now. I think the damage to the economy by the insane over reaction of our media and governments over here is what is not helping matters.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:17 am That is possible, but I have not approved anything so there is no estimated arrival date for this sword yet. Won't know that until production starts.

I have not heard of any delays caused by the Coronavirus in China - not in my industry anyway. Maybe for Apple there is. Most of that happened when they were on the Chinese New year holiday, so they would have been off work anyway. Everyone I work with over there has been back to work for several weeks now. I think the damage to the economy by the insane over reaction of our media and governments over here is what is not helping matters.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. :thumbs_up

When I mentioned estimated August, I was extrapolating from your last post here: viewtopic.php?f=342&t=5985 (and yes, you did say "it's possible", not certain).

In hindsight, knowing that they keep not getting the colouring of the hilt pieces correct, that estimate seems overly optimistic now. :'(

Doesn't help that there's a bunch of online retailers already taking money for pre-orders on this. Talk about premature.
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am Does that also go for Eomer's helm and the Horn of Gondor as well? Meaning, not approved yet or not received production samples yet?
The helm is in the sculpting stage and 3D modeling stage, but they are just now starting to work on the horn, so it's going to be a few months before I really know anything on those. I don't see why both cannot be in stock later this year, but you know how that goes.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:40 am Doesn't help that there's a bunch of online retailers already taking money for pre-orders on this. Talk about premature.
Really? That's funny. Reminds me of the old LOTR days. I would mention we were thinking about the slight hint of a possibility that maybe there was a slim chance of UC making a replica of - fill in the blank - and they next day 2 or 3 online sites would already have it up for pre order.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:49 am
N2darkness wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am Does that also go for Eomer's helm and the Horn of Gondor as well? Meaning, not approved yet or not received production samples yet?
The helm is in the sculpting stage and 3D modeling stage, but they are just now starting to work on the horn, so it's going to be a few months before I really know anything on those. I don't see why both cannot be in stock later this year, but you know how that goes.
The blurry image that someone posted on Facebook, must have been a 3D mockup then? I must have assumed that it was much further along.
E_helm.jpg

Same goes for the artwork done for Guthwine that UC posted and other retailers are using for pre-orders. It helps fire the flame for interest, but no actual information. I'm so glad we get to hear it straight from the horses mouth here from someone we can trust. Look forward to hearing about production samples as they come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am Really? That's funny. Reminds me of the old LOTR days. I would mention we were thinking about the slight hint of a possibility that maybe there was a slim chance of UC making a replica of - fill in the blank - and they next day 2 or 3 online sites would already have it up for pre order.
Yep, I remember those days well.

I think ever since those couple of photos of Guthwine began making the rounds on the UC Facebook page, everything went into overdrive on the speculation front, and to be honest, I can't see how UC wouldn't be happy with all the generated excitement and anticipation. People have noticed that though dealers are advertising the sword already, BudK does not have it listed on their page, to which I replied that until BudK puts it up, nothing is happening.
This Space for Rent

15 years since the last Eowyn run...? Wow, now I feel old lol. Great news for collectors who cannot afford the eBay prices! Coincidentally, I JUST received my long sought after Eowyn sword literally 2 days prior this announcement haha. Luckily I got a good deal on it :)

Definitely looking forward to picking up Boromir's sword and Gimli's Axe!

Kit - glad to see things are still running smoothly at UC. And also that a new LOTR item is getting so much online excitement! If this continues with Eomer's helm and Boromir's horn... hopefully that'll convince UC to greenlight more *new* LOTR items! :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Kit, can I ask you a question? Forgive me as I've brought this up a few times but I'm really curious as to what UC's mindsight is in regard to reissuing scabbards. Do they believe there's any market viability there? I certainly understand not investing into producing new scabbards for the lesser known, less popular character swords, but for scabbards from popular swords like Anduril, Glamdring, and Strider's ranger (and maybe Sting LOTR version), do they not think they would sell well?

the guthwine sword ,we all ask fore ,like the last 10 youers.

it seems to come true

i understand why ,is take time to develope ,a sword like this ,as this is an anusial sword.
not easy to make .

as i see this sword (guthwine), has not olny one ,but two fullers in the blade,and the fullers goes all ,from the crosgourd and all awery down to the tip of ,5 inch left to a tip
that also have a small fuller into .the tip of the blade

Ronin wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:53 pm Kit, can I ask you a question? Forgive me as I've brought this up a few times but I'm really curious as to what UC's mindsight is in regard to reissuing scabbards. Do they believe there's any market viability there? I certainly understand not investing into producing new scabbards for the lesser known, less popular character swords, but for scabbards from popular swords like Anduril, Glamdring, and Strider's ranger (and maybe Sting LOTR version), do they not think they would sell well?
I could not tell you their mindset as I am not really that involved with what they decide to reissue. I only know about what reissues are coming because sometimes I am asked an opinion, see a mention in an email, or I am asked to supply old art that they cannot find for packaging, silk screens, certificates, et cetera.

I can take a guess, based on my experience running the LOTR program at the old United. Those scabbards were expensive to make, and the cost now is almost as high as the cost to make the swords themselves, so they have to be priced below margin to sell. Example - Anduril sells for about $200 and the scabbed $150. Historically, the sword to scabbard sell ratio was about 7:1, and it's probably far less now. They also sell slow compared to the swords, so it's a lot of money invested to make a run that sits there for a long time until they sell through. Another problem is that if the sword you make the scabbard for is not in the current line, they don't sell, so you have to time both at the same time to work.

I know they reissued several scabbards around 2009-11, and again about 5 or 6 years ago, but there was a big spike in interest from The Hobbit movies then. Hopefully the new Amazon series will spike interest again.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:48 am
Ronin wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:53 pm Kit, can I ask you a question? Forgive me as I've brought this up a few times but I'm really curious as to what UC's mindsight is in regard to reissuing scabbards. Do they believe there's any market viability there? I certainly understand not investing into producing new scabbards for the lesser known, less popular character swords, but for scabbards from popular swords like Anduril, Glamdring, and Strider's ranger (and maybe Sting LOTR version), do they not think they would sell well?
I could not tell you their mindset as I am not really that involved with what they decide to reissue. I only know about what reissues are coming because sometimes I am asked an opinion, see a mention in an email, or I am asked to supply old art that they cannot find for packaging, silk screens, certificates, et cetera.

I can take a guess, based on my experience running the LOTR program at the old United. Those scabbards were expensive to make, and the cost now is almost as high as the cost to make the swords themselves, so they have to be priced below margin to sell. Example - Anduril sells for about $200 and the scabbed $150. Historically, the sword to scabbard sell ratio was about 7:1, and it's probably far less now. They also sell slow compared to the swords, so it's a lot of money invested to make a run that sits there for a long time until they sell through. Another problem is that if the sword you make the scabbard for is not in the current line, they don't sell, so you have to time both at the same time to work.

I know they reissued several scabbards around 2009-11, and again about 5 or 6 years ago, but there was a big spike in interest from The Hobbit movies then. Hopefully the new Amazon series will spike interest again.
Thank you for the in-depth explanation. It's unfortunate but certainly understandable. We can't expect a company to supply a product that doesn't sell well. It doesn't surprise me at all that the scabbards cost as much as the swords considering how nice they are. Hopefully like you said, interest will spike with the new Amazon series.

Cheers,
Ron

Update for those not on FB LOTR Forums. A UC rep mentioned these yesterday:

Gimli's Bearded Axe - ETA June 1st.
Guthwine / Eomer Helm / Horn of Gondor - ETA before Christmas 2020.
Isildur's sword - no plans yet.
Glamdring scabbard - looking into it, no plans yet. (didn't specify which colour)
Boromir & Eowyn swords - no current update.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I'll add to that. I saw round two of United's paint prototype for the Eomer helm. It took a while of explaining how to do it, but they have finally nailed the polished metal and brass look. It looks like the real deal, not paint. What I saw today looks as good as my prop. I just hope they can do it in production!

The revised brass parts for the Eomer sword are supposed to be coming to me soon, then it's ready to go.

The 3D model for the Horn of Gondor is done. Just waiting for the first unpainted prototype from molds to check out.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:25 am I'll add to that. I saw round two of United's paint prototype for the Eomer helm. It took a while of explaining how to do it, but they have finally nailed the polished metal and brass look. It looks like the real deal, not paint. What I saw today looks as good as my prop. I just hope they can do it in production!

The revised brass parts for the Eomer sword are supposed to be coming to me soon, then it's ready to go.

The 3D model for the Horn of Gondor is done. Just waiting for the first unpainted prototype from molds to check out.
I'm VERY excited about all three of these items! I've wanted Guthwine for absolutely forever, and the Boromir horn is also a must buy. Even though I'm the proud owner of one of Thranduil's gorgeous handcrafted metal Eomer helms, I may also pick up the UC version. One can never have too many Rohirrim pieces! :horseback

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Excellent to have some news. I wish Guthwine had something a little more encouraging and specific than "before Christmas" but I guess that's all we can hope for for now. In a perverse way, I want it to come out before Indy's version does - if that one ever does come out. :rolleye:

I have the Horn and Eomer Helm as replicas already, but depending on how good the UC ones look, I might be tempted. Thranduil did an amazing job but I expect the UC one will be more accurate.
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:55 am Great news! I'm also going to be purchasing all 3 as well. Hopefully Kit will be able to show some photos of the prototypes when they show up. Interested to see the metallic finish they are capable of achieving for both the helm and the horn.
I can't show any prototype photos yet, but it looks just like this, minus the horse hair and leather parts. I have not see those yet.

The display looks really cool too. I modeled it after Eomer's armor, in keeping with the other polyresin helm statues United has done.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:27 pm I just saw the imitation horse hair on the Eomer helm today and the corrected brass color on Guthwine. Both look really good. The hair strands are not as thick as the real horse hair on my prop, but the way it rests across the helm and the color are spot on.
That sounds like good news and the "ok" for production to begin! Can't wait! I'm sure the sales for all these new items will be telling and hopefully lead to some other new items coming our way.

Those two are nearly ready to go, but the horn is not. The small sculptural details in the metal parts still need a lot of work. It's probably going to be a few more weeks before I see another pass on that. That's fine with me, because I have a lot of work to do on another license. My other favorite book series is being made into a movie(s), so I'm scrambling to get the first product going for that!
KRDS

Glad Guthwine is still coming!

If it’s the big movie that’s due out at the end of the year then thats interesting that replicas are being developed. I’ve never read the books so don’t know what there is to replicate but looking forward to seeing the movie regardless.

Can you say if it’s UC working on it or is it another company?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Ronin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 pm
Valkrist wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 pm Man... I can sure shut a conversation down. :'(

I swear i showered... :embarasse
Hahaha.

Alright let's talk about something...
I know this is a Hobbit thread but since we discuss a lot of LOTR props also...was there ever an interest in making Strider's bow?
Ronin to the rescue, alright! :crazy:

Ignore the thread name, it's been a misnomer for years now.

Yes, at least for my part and from way back in the day, I wanted UC to make all the bows that were seen, including Strider's shortbow, Lorien archer bow, and Last Alliance Elven bow. Sadly, none of it came to pass and that ship has long since sailed. Just look at how to this day, we're still waiting on a possible Legolas Mirkwood bow? Bard's bow would have been cool too but I doubt we'll see it. Also, bows need a lot of display room and I'm out of that. :'(

I should note that there was a German company a dozen years ago that put out that Lorien bow. I think they were called Elbenwald or some such, and I tried for some time to hunt one down but they were/are extremely rare. Not certain how accurate it was but it sure was a nice looking bow.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:18 pm
Ronin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 pm
Valkrist wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 pm Man... I can sure shut a conversation down. :'(

I swear i showered... :embarasse
Hahaha.

Alright let's talk about something...
I know this is a Hobbit thread but since we discuss a lot of LOTR props also...was there ever an interest in making Strider's bow?
Ronin to the rescue, alright! :crazy:

Ignore the thread name, it's been a misnomer for years now.

Yes, at least for my part and from way back in the day, I wanted UC to make all the bows that were seen, including Strider's shortbow, Lorien archer bow, and Last Alliance Elven bow. Sadly, none of it came to pass and that ship has long since sailed. Just look at how to this day, we're still waiting on a possible Legolas Mirkwood bow? Bard's bow would have been cool too but I doubt we'll see it. Also, bows need a lot of display room and I'm out of that. :'(

I should note that there was a German company a dozen years ago that put out that Lorien bow. I think they were called Elbenwald or some such, and I tried for some time to hunt one down but they were/are extremely rare. Not certain how accurate it was but it sure was a nice looking bow.
Hey always happy to help haha. This forum is the least active one I'm on but it's for sure the one I get most excited to see new posts in :D .

I really liked how the Legolas Short Bow churned out so I'd be happy with any bows UC makes. A Last Alliance Bow would be awesome!!!
I still want to see the Lothlorien bow first though. Hopefully UC will take a stab at it. I think it came in second after Boromir's horn in that Facebook poll UC did last year? I never got a chance to acquire the official one from Master Cutlery from many years ago. Last one of those I saw on Ebay was about $3000.

Yeah, we're slow but we make every post worthy of reading, or at least I hope so.

At any rate, Master Cutlery Lothlorien bow? Do you mean the Hollywood Collectibles Group one? That's the only official version that I'm aware of and goes for about as much as you said. So happy I got my LE one when it was first announced for just $350. :thumbs_up

There's a couple of unofficial ones out there made by independent bowyers but I don't think they look much like the prop.
This Space for Rent

Ah yes HCG! My mistake! I couldn't remember which company made it so I looked up the first website I found that still has it listed (out of stock of course) and typed the manufacturer number "MC-LOTR1" in the search bar and "Master Cutlery" came up. I wanted to hurry up and reply and in my haste didn't exercise my due diligence.

But yes now I remember it was HCG. Limited to 500 pieces. Really nice.

There were two versions, but I forget how many of each were made. Not sure where my COA is to check, but I think 500 was the edition size of the limited ones, and I don't recall how many of the other version were made, but not many. In any case, there was no difference in the actual bow from the LE to UE versions; only that the LE one included two magnetic Lorien arrowheads that attached to the display plaque. I had no problem paying the small premium for that neat addon.
This Space for Rent

Ronin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:28 pm Heck yeah, I would've splurged for the arrows too!

Was the bow cast from a mold of the screen used prop? The detail looks very good from the videos I've watched online.
Not sure, to be honest. Only Kit could answer that. It looks really good to me but I have no idea how accurate it is. I do know the Italian-made Mirkwood bow is not accurate (according to Kit), and since he's seen close to most of the props in person, I'll take his word for it. I almost bought it once, but I'm glad I held out, especially if UC goes ahead with their version one day.
This Space for Rent

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”