Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Idril wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:32 pm Hi all. Sorry I’ve been absent so long. Finally pulled my finger out and made it a priority.

I’m looking forward to these new United pieces. Anyone picking up the UC Eomer helm even if you already have the Thranduil one? I’m just curious on it I guess. I’d love to see it in person and the only way to do that for me is to buy one.
Nice to see you again! :)

I'm on the fence. Like you, I'd love to see one first inhand before making that decision, but I see no way of doing it without buying one. Best I can do is wait for N2 to get his and ask him to kindly do a video review or something. I'm not concerned about the price as UC has managed to maintain their prices reasonably low, but I don't have the space for an extra helm, so if I do end up buying it, I'll have to make a difficult choice on which version to display. :huh:

It also brings up the difficult dilemma of even contemplating to sell Thranduil's version. As rare as they are due to their low number, it would currently fetch a decent amount, but this window is quickly evaporating with the UC version on the horizon. I have a feeling that sooner or later UC will tackle Theoden's helm and we'll be back here having this same conversation again.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:20 pm
Idril wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:32 pm Hi all. Sorry I’ve been absent so long. Finally pulled my finger out and made it a priority.

I’m looking forward to these new United pieces. Anyone picking up the UC Eomer helm even if you already have the Thranduil one? I’m just curious on it I guess. I’d love to see it in person and the only way to do that for me is to buy one.
Nice to see you again! :)

I'm on the fence. Like you, I'd love to see one first inhand before making that decision, but I see no way of doing it without buying one. Best I can do is wait for N2 to get his and ask him to kindly do a video review or something. I'm not concerned about the price as UC has managed to maintain their prices reasonably low, but I don't have the space for an extra helm, so if I do end up buying it, I'll have to make a difficult choice on which version to display. :huh:
I do plan on getting it and will make sure to post plenty of photos when I do.

Valkrist wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:20 pm It also brings up the difficult dilemma of even contemplating to sell Thranduil's version. As rare as they are due to their low number, it would currently fetch a decent amount, but this window is quickly evaporating with the UC version on the horizon.
United's will look more accurate, but with Thranduil's replica being metal - I don't know, It would be hard to let one of those go!

United's replica still has a ways to go. The holdup right now is the leather cowl parts, which still need a lot more work. We are already mid year, so I'm not sure they can get the helms made and shipped to have in stock before year's end. Possible, but it's going to be tight.
KRDS

Thanks for the update, Kit.

Yeah, Idril, I figured it would be more accurate, but Kit makes a good point about the metal. My only bones of contention with Thranduil's version are that the horsehead noseguard is a) too big, and b) hollow, and also that the hidden string fastener he used to hold the leather cowl pieces together in the centre came loose the moment I took it out of the box. It's very flimsy and it took me forever to reattach it using small pincers. To this day I avoid touching that part of the helm for fear of it coming loose again so I hope UC came up with a better solution to attach those.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 pm
Valkrist wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:49 pm I hope UC came up with a better solution to attach those.
Glue!
lol ! That's awesome. :crazy:

On a more serious note though, does that make the three cowl layers fixed and immovable or will they still slide under each other to accommodate the wearer's neck? I know these are non functional but I'm curious about the flexibility of the cowl leather pieces.
This Space for Rent

As cool as the Eomer helmet looks I’ll sadly be passing and personally very cautious about poly resin pieces. I mentioned here a while back that I found a crack in my Sauron helm. Well I never tried to repair it because it was so fine and didn’t seem to be a problem so I left it.

Today though I saw an even bigger crack has opened up in the front most spike going across and is also starting to crack downward. I’m a bit disappointed with it tbh. I never play with it, only dust it every so often, but it does sadden me that it’s cracking. I think I seem to be one of the few that this is happening to though.

Guthwine is on my want list though as well as Boromir’s sword and Eowyn’s. But I will be avoiding the poly resin pieces I think.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Valkrist wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm
On a more serious note though, does that make the three cowl layers fixed and immovable or will they still slide under each other to accommodate the wearer's neck? I know these are non functional but I'm curious about the flexibility of the cowl leather pieces.
The three layers don't slide at all on the prop. They don't need to as the cowl angles away from the neck. They are riveted to the sides of the helm and there is a strip of leather that runs from the inside top of the helm down the center of the back that is glued to all three cowl layers. I have only seen photos of United's cowl from the outside, not an actual sample yet, so I don't know if they glued a leather strip to it in the same manner, but the sides of the cowl will be glued to the helm, not riveted.
KRDS

Ah, ok... I see what you mean.

I think Thranduil, not knowing how the prop was constructed, made the natural assumption that the three layers would move somewhat independently and flex with the wearer's movements, like looking up, for example. However, once attached to the sides, I think he had trouble figuring out how to not have them separate completely in the centre without something holding all three together. The solution proved flimsy, unfortunately, and I was hoping UC had found a better way around this. Turns out they did one better. :)
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:32 pm I’m looking forward to these new United pieces. Anyone picking up the UC Eomer helm even if you already have the Thranduil one? I’m just curious on it I guess. I’d love to see it in person and the only way to do that for me is to buy one.
Hhmm…. I probably will not. I'm also on side that will choose a metal replica over polyresin anytime it's possible. I'm sure UC's will look fantastic, but I prefer having a "helmet" over a "statue". That being said, I love Eomer's armor... and the display base Kit is designing might change that lol. If anyone ends up selling just the base - keep me In mind ;)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Have to agree with both Lindir and Jash.
Sorry to hear about the deepening flaws of the helm, Lindir. That would annoy me--and more than annoy me--no end.
Like Jash , I prefer a real metal helm over a "statue". Poly resin is just too dang fragile.
If a fairly accurate metal facsimile that is well made (and doesn't exceed my budget) can be had, I will go for that over an "officially licensed" poly version every time.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Lindir, you are not alone. I may have mentioned it here or elsewhere, but a crack appeared on my Sauron helm also. I never would have noticed it had I not had it in a position where I can walk behind and see the sliver of light where there should be none. It's hard to describe the area but it's on one of the seams next to that long ridge that flows down from the nostril slits. I was able to put a bit of glue from the back and press it closed somewhat, but the resin is far too rigid to go any further. I would have to apply some kind of putty from the inside to fully close it.

It totally sucks but I got close to 15 years of enjoyment out of it, and unless it gets worse, it's ok. What worries me is all the other resin replicas I have that might go down that route. Are we sitting on a bunch of collectible time bombs?!? :'(
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm It totally sucks but I got close to 15 years of enjoyment out of it, and unless it gets worse, it's ok. What worries me is all the other resin replicas I have that might go down that route. Are we sitting on a bunch of collectible time bombs?!? :'(
Val & Lindir - now you guys are worrying me. I currently only have 3 non-metal replicas. I'm not much worried about the Sauron Mace or Gandalf Staff. But.... my Witch-King Helm has been in storage for years.... :O
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Yep I remember him saying that too. I remember him saying that the urethane handles on the Weta Orcrist would probably end up shrinking too. I wonder if that’ll apply to our Orcrist handles?

Sometimes they’re just minor but for whatever reason this crack seems quite severe. I’m gonna have a think about the best way to fix it. I don’t know if epoxy would be any good and then painting over it. Luckily it seems to have a somewhat straight forward paint scheme.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

All you folks ordering the UC resin Rohan helms....those are pretty big and intricate.
Are you [emotionally] prepared to see the eventual cracking?

@Lindir...epoxy will work fine as a repair.
Apoxy Sculpt (or a similar type of polymer clay) would work even better on a large fissure because you can shape it to fit and also contour it.
The tricky (tricksie?) part , as always, is matching the paint.

Deimos, I think I might eventually try that. The crack on my Sauron Helm is nearly undetectable from the side that matters - the front - and only bugs me because I can see light through it from the back. I think if I get some black epoxy and just gently work it in but not so much that it actually bleeds through the front, I won't need to worry about painting. I wonder if silicone works as well? Anyone know if it adheres to fiberglass resin?
This Space for Rent

No..not silicon....get real epoxy ...the two part stuff that comes in tubes.
In the States one of the best DIY products for that is called JB Weld (I ought to buy stock in it, I've used it so much)
JB WELD

It comes as fast setting or slow setting. Maybe it or something similar is available in Canada ...check Walmart or Amazon or a big box hardware store.
The fast stuff sets up in 5 minutes...meaning it's UNWORKABLE at 5 minutes.
I usually mix up a bit, then let it sit for about a minute or two ('cause it's kind of runny/drippy at first) then use a small tool to work it the gap/hole/whatever.
The slow stuff is kind of thin too, after you mix it...I might let that sit for 20 minutes to thicken , then use it.
You also have a lot more working time with the slow set stuff.
The regular "slow set" version is dark grey after it is mixed....that might work out really well for the Sauron helm.

I've attached a pic of where I used it on the Steampunk keyboard. I "welded" upright pieces of aluminum to the base piece, to hold the actual keyboard in place. I didn't want it shifting around even a millimeter. So far (after two years ) the keyboard hasn't shifted, and I use it every single day.
(Ignore the arrows in the second pic)
Keyboard support plate.jpg
Keyboard set on base.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The UC rep who frequents the Lord of the Rings Collectors Facebook group just posted a couple "sneak peek" images of the Horn of Gondor. The pics are of the display plaque and part of the actual horn (the clay model phase). Looking good!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r06ty9upbxssk ... n.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e7adldwegu6g ... n.jpg?dl=0

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:13 am The UC rep who frequents the Lord of the Rings Collectors Facebook group just posted a couple "sneak peek" images of the Horn of Gondor. The pics are of the display plaque and part of the actual horn (the clay model phase). Looking good!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r06ty9upbxssk ... n.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e7adldwegu6g ... n.jpg?dl=0
A teaser pic of the Horn of Gondor shared by the same UC rep:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbyldqkr6vzs9 ... o.jpg?dl=0

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

N2darkness wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:58 am I'm sure Kit can way in on some of this as he had an actual prop to go off of, but from the photos I have there are some details that aren't quite right . I hope this is just the prototype and some changes will be made.
I have a replica, but I don't own an original prop. I was never able to get one back in the LOTR production days. The 3 Foot 6 prop dept had already closed down by the time I tried to get one in 2003. I have the original property master photos and photos and measurements I took from a prop at the Indiana LOTR exhibit to work from. There were multiple props and the details did not match on each, so United's is sort of a mix.

That carving is not final, nor is the painted prototype photo that was posted. The current proto looks much more finished and color correct. We are still waiting on the metal parts that the leather strap will be mounted to before it can be completed.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 am ..and before anyone asks, sorry, no new news of the Boromir sword as of late. It's essentially done, except the leather grip. They don't have a good match for the color yet, so they are still working on sourcing that.
If you can forgive me for still asking, I will ask this: do you mean Eomer sword, not Boromir sword? If you meant exactly what you said, then I can just assume another reissue is on the way.
This Space for Rent

No, they never had my helm, or any of my props. I never loan those out! I supply CAD pattern drawings for everything, with all the measurements, colors, molds for textures, color correct photos, et cetera. Anything missing or different in my props from what was in the movies I add to the drawings. The strap will be that same generic strap that is used on all the UC helms.

The helm prop is super tight, so it probably was made to fit Urban snugly. Urban's strap is not even fastened the first time he is seen in TTT. That was probably because they wanted him to easily take the helm off in that scene without having to mess with the buckle, rather than him not needing one. It was strapped in ROTK.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 am ..and before anyone asks, sorry, no new news of the Eomer sword as of late. It's essentially done, except the leather grip. They don't have a good match for the color yet, so they are still working on sourcing that.
Wouldn't the color be the same as the Eowyn sword handle (or Herugrim for that matter) that is being reissued? Budk has an ETA of October for it's release.

I received the factory-painted prototype for the Eomer helm today. I was a bit worried after seeing that photo UC posted, but in person it looks really good. The steel and brass look real. I asked my wife to come in my shop to have a look and she was fooled. The brass color is more gold than brass, but I think it looks better than my prop so I'm not changing it. My only real complaint is that the imitiation horse hair is a bit too thin and lighter blonde color compared the real horse hair on my prop, but I don't think I'm going to mess with that.

The display finish looks a bit too shiny, so I'm going to have them dull that down, but I think this is nearly ready to go into production.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”