Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm The sample has not been approved by licensing, so technically I'm not supposed to post photos yet. I'll just post these and ask the question. Is this the prop? Or the replica? :)
oh this looks INCREDIBLE!!! Can't wait to get one.

On a side note, is there any way at all to get the old UC stands as spares? I'm personally not that keen on the sculpted bases (I know many are, but for me I prefer the classic stands) - I know its a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 am oh this looks INCREDIBLE!!! Can't wait to get one.

On a side note, is there any way at all to get the old UC stands as spares? I'm personally not that keen on the sculpted bases (I know many are, but for me I prefer the classic stands) - I know its a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway.
I definitely agree. It looks excellent! Even though I'm a very proud owner of a Thranduil Eomer helm, I'll also instantly purchase the UC version as well. I'm a Rohirrim completeist and Eomer is my favorite LOTR character . . . so how could I do otherwise? :horseback

As for a more traditional display stand, if you can't get a spare UC stand perhaps you could ask Thranduil to make one for you?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am Still torn, and these new pictures aren't helping either. The new helm looks amazing, my only nitpick is the horse hair looking a bit too wispy and thin. Having a hard time figuring out what to do as I can't justify owning two of the same helm, regardless of materials used. One would just be sitting in a box, so what's the point? :huh:
This probably no surprise to anyone who knows my collecting, but in my world there's no such thing as too much Rohirrim. :crazy:

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm The sample has not been approved by licensing, so technically I'm not supposed to post photos yet. I'll just post these and ask the question. Is this the prop? Or the replica? :)
Wow, looks great, Kit! Looking forward to it :thumbs_up .

Was there any thought about possibly giving it a weathered finish? Just curious. It's probably better to keep it 'clean' and let those who want to add weathering do so.

United posted a few more of my pix on Facebook. Basically the same shot as above, just with the display.

The outside of the sample looks good, but the inside is not completely finished yet. It's going to have leather padding inside and a chin strap like the last few helms, so that stuff still needs to be finished and sampled. It's getting close though. I'm tweaking the paint a bit too and having them dull down the display finish.
KRDS

Kit, can you describe what the horsehead nose guard looks like from the inside? It is a solid piece, or a hollow form? It's one of my nitpicks with Thranduil's version (which is hollow and the brass edges are not folded over, leaving the area somewhat sharp when handled.) Not actually sure how a solid piece would fit over the wearer's nose, but I'm curious as to which route UC took, or how the actual prop looks.
This Space for Rent

I filled the nose guard with Apoxy Sculpt, filed down the edges (fine cut), then painted the filled part with metallic brass paint.
Granted, no one normally would see that inside part, but
1) if they should look inside it looks finished, and
2) no chance of getting cut on the brass edge

@Kit....is the Old English statement on the neck guard about the helm's owner faithfully reproduced?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:27 am @Kit....is the Old English statement on the neck guard about the helm's owner faithfully reproduced?
Exactly, or as exact as I could get replicating the rough and sloppy hand tooling on my prop. The letter shapes and size varied from prop to prop. I kept them a bit sloppy, but cleaned up a few letters that were not readable. I actually had to request the factory remake the embossing dies because they modified my art the first time around. Apparently they thought full stop and colon marks were positioned wrong, so they moved them like they would be in modern English sentences and closed some of the word gaps! They were just trying to help and probably had no idea this was Old English.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:35 pm Kit, can you describe what the horsehead nose guard looks like from the inside?
It's solid, like the prop. The horse head is angled out so it does not touch my nose on the prop. The replica is enlarged slightly to fit an average head size, so there is even more space on it. Of course, not everyone's nose or head is shaped the same, so it's possible it could still touch.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:33 am It's solid, like the prop. The horse head is angled out so it does not touch my nose on the prop. The replica is enlarged slightly to fit an average head size, so there is even more space on it. Of course, not everyone's nose or head is shaped the same, so it's possible it could still touch.
Excellent, thank you. :thumbs_up

Also, thanks for clarifying that the chin strap will be added on. It was really starting to bug me seeing all these photos and still no chin strap. Safety first! :laugh:
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:11 am I have decided to sell my Dain Hammer. I cannot find where any have been sold lately and there doesn’t seem to be any for sale either. Are they rare? Can anyone shed light on its current market value?
What do you think of your Dain hammer, Idril? I never pulled the trigger on them when they were still available at Budk and I've been keeping an eye out for one since.

Well... skipping details constantly asked. Most of my collection being long gone, found Noble's offering floating around in the back of the closet. Figured I can't do any worse of a job than it already was from them. Worst case scenario it hits the dumpster all the other stuff did. So I'm going to attempt pain... well repainting it. I think the weathering will be the toughest part and since I don't do artsy crap it won't perfectly match the concept or screen but whatever. This hot arse GA weather definitely helps with drying it quickly. Focusing on the hilt, may do the blade later on. I don't really know yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deimos wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 pm JJ, you let go of your entire collection???? That is sad, indeed.
When did that happen?
Um. Lotta complication there admittedly I've dodge those discussions and will continue to do so. Was around December/January hence my absence from just about everything. But I still have all my Gimli stuff. Herugrim, Anduril, Narsil, Shards of Narsil, and Boromir sword. I think I kept Bard's Arrow as that was a gift.

JJByers wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:25 pm
Deimos wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 pm JJ, you let go of your entire collection???? That is sad, indeed.
When did that happen?
Um. Lotta complication there admittedly I've dodge those discussions and will continue to do so. Was around December/January hence my absence from just about everything. But I still have all my Gimli stuff. Herugrim, Anduril, Narsil, Shards of Narsil, and Boromir sword. I think I kept Bard's Arrow as that was a gift.
Sad to hear, JJ, and I hope whatever circumstances led to that have now sorted themselves out for you. 100% respect on your decision to keep that private.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 am A brief update - The Eomer sword is finally ready for production. I got the final sample last week.

I also got a new Boromir horn sample from the factory. Very cool looking so far. It needs one more tweak to dirty it up a bit and it should be good to go.
That’s very exciting news!

Can’t wait to see more pics of Guthwine.

Are the re-release of Boromir’s sword and Eowyn’s sword still happening?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:35 am
Nasnandos wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 am A brief update - The Eomer sword is finally ready for production. I got the final sample last week.

I also got a new Boromir horn sample from the factory. Very cool looking so far. It needs one more tweak to dirty it up a bit and it should be good to go.
That’s very exciting news!

Can’t wait to see more pics of Guthwine.

Are the re-release of Boromir’s sword and Eowyn’s sword still happening?
Really happy that Guthwine is finally in production. Looking forward to the other 2 new pieces as well.

Boromir's sword is listed on the BudK site for a release date of September and Eowyn's for October and they also have the Anduril scabbard for December.

Ronin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:44 pm
Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:39 am I'd be more excited if they actually had the courage to release new ones, but I'm happy for those that missed out on the originals.
I hear ya, Val.

So if you could get your UC wish, which new scabbard would you like to see offered? I'd be happy with any of the Rohan scabbards myself. Guthwine for starters.
Yes, I'd like the other Rohan scabbards as well as Boromir's and the Nagul items (Witchking, Ringwraith and Morgul dagger).

N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:39 am I'd be more excited if they actually had the courage to release new ones, but I'm happy for those that missed out on the originals.
I hear ya, Val.

So if you could get your UC wish, which new scabbard would you like to see offered? I'd be happy with any of the Rohan scabbards myself. Guthwine for starters.
Yes, I'd like the other Rohan scabbards as well as Boromir's and the Nagul items (Witchking, Ringwraith and Morgul dagger).
Yes Boromir and Witchking for sure.

I hear ya, Val.

All of the ones not done.

If I had to state a specific preference, then the elven ones, hands down. I love Hadhafang's scabbard (complete with dagger), and the Elven Warrior sword scabbard.
This Space for Rent

I agree with, Val, Elven scabbards all the way!

I’d happily pay up to £300 or maybe even more for the Hadhafang scabbard if it was done with wood, leather and metal. I’m still holding out hope we might get Haldir’s sword one day and would love to see a scabbard produced for that too but that’s just wishful thinking :P
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Buckeye wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:22 am According to BudK guy Drew over on the LOTR Collectors Facebook page, the Horn of Gondor "Will be available for pre-order within the next few weeks."
Rev/Christian took pre-orders for both the Horn and Guthwine more than a month ago.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

For those not on the FB group, here are the results. I'm not sure how the individual tallied them (comments, likes, repeat comments from the same people, etc) - just copying and pasting his results :

New Releases :
1-faramir’s sword
2 (tied)- Saurons sword and the remaining barrow blades
4-Aeglos
5-Legolas Lorien bow

Re-Releases:
Witchking Helm and Isildur's sword tied for first.

I'm all for the New Releases 1 to 4 (i just don't collet bows)! In terms of re-releases.... I generally don't care unless it involves "Limited Editions". So my opinion towards a potential WK Helm remake would depend upon how many were not made to fill the LE run, versus how many UC would plan on making (that's IF they decide to go down that route).
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

JJByers wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:26 am @Nasnandos what are your thoughts on the sword of Sauron going into production if UC takes the last poll into serious consideration. It and Faramir's sword seemed to top/tie on the list.
Same thoughts I have every time someone has asked me that over the past 15 years - I would love to see it get made, but don't think enough people would be willing to pay the price it would have to sell for to justify the cost for United to tool up and make them. The target market is tiny, since it's mostly the old school LOTR collectors who even know what this is, so that reduces its chance of being successful even more.

The old United had it quoted way back, and it would have had to sell for 2.5 to 3x what Anduril sells for. Probably much higher now. The prop has some very tricky blade grinds and curved fullers that cannot be done on a production sword blade grinder.

The whole blade would have to be shaped by CNC, which is extremely expensive and not production friendly. Not many collectors really know what it looks like in detail, so I could rework the design into something much more simplified and affordable, but that is something not very appealing to me to work on.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:42 pm Is this the final prototype? Looks very good to me and will be happy to be ordering soon. The only thing better would be if you said they would be making the scabbard as well.
Yes. I think they are in production now. I would love to get the scabbard made. I had the prop scabbard and it was drawn up, but I think it's a long shot it will happen. If the sword is a success, you never know. Of course, then everyone will ask why United never made one for Herugrim, which I'm sure will always be the top seller of the three.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Lindir wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:21 pm Will the wire in the middle of the grip be changed to a two tone wire like the prop?
It's actually three tone, but no. My Weta prop did not have the alternating wire, only brass, but I did want the alternating brass/silver/steel wire like the hero prop.

The factory was having trouble getting an even twist using brass and stainless because each were of a different hardness, and trying different metals was not working and looked sloppy. They could do it with less twist and thin wire, more like Indy's replica, but it just did not look right. It was taking way too long to trying to figure out, so I told them to just use all brass.
KRDS

I don't think United has released images of the Horn of Gondor yet, so I can't post any, but I did make a poor attempt at recording the horn outside last Sunday. It's an iphone recording, so not the best audio. The first clip is from the movie, then me.
http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Ho ... Gondor.mp3

The movie horn has been pitched much lower than what you can generate with a horn of this size, and I could not get those three short bursts like that, but it will still wake the neighbors. It does not resonate quite the same as real horn, but it amplifies loudly! We have a neighbor that has been shooting fireworks off several times a week in the middle of the night and waking everyone up for months now - lots of Covid money to burn I suppose - so my wife wants me to blow this at about 6:00 am every morning to wake them up.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”