Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Valkrist wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 pm
Deimos wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:00 pm
Definitely a display situation that calls for viewing from a closer range where the "banana effect" would be less noticeable. .
Deimos, once you've been exposed to the "banana effect", there's no unseeing it... :O :db: :db: :laugh:
Granted. But this could also apply to *ahem* "guest viewers" who are seeing the display for the first time.

JJByers: Come in! Come in! So glad you could make it over to see my [very cool] ME collection of swords, axes, daggers, etc.
Now, these weapons are from the LOTR movies (and books) . Stand here (points to a place on the floor 4 feet from the wall) and you can view the whole collection.
OK, moving along we come to the weapons from the Hobbit. Stand here (points to another place on the floor about 4 feet from the wall ) and you can see the swords, bows, hammers, etc., from The Hobbit movie.

Guest: OK, but what about those three [very cool] swords hanging over there?

JJ: In a moment, in a moment.... All right, now moving to the last of the collection, three very special Dwarven weapons: The swords of Thorin, and his nephews Kili and Fili.
These are so special that they should only be viewed up close, so stand here (points to a place on the floor one foot from the swords.)
And why are they so special (you may well ask)? Indeed, these three dwarves were related; Thorin was Fili's and Kili's uncle, their mother's brother.
Alas all three perished in the Battle of Five Armies waged in the shadow of Mt Erebor.
(JJ desperately trying to distract his guest from noticing that at least two of the swords would not look out of place atop Carmen Miranda's head.)

Last edited by Deimos on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:15 pm Val, did you know that Carmen Miranda was Portuguese? I didn't....I thought she was from Spain.
Born in Portugal but at some point moved to Brazil.
Spain?!? You go and wash your mouth out with soap right now! :cursing_r

And yes, I did know. ;)
JJByers wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:43 am Dang. All that epic story telling I hate to say the Kili sword was off cuz its hanging on one bolt and needed adjusting lol.
I think of the three its the only one that has minimal warp. I never noticed how bad deathless was, but, I have seen much worse too.
It may be minimal, but it's still there. You can tell easily by just looking at the fuller, though I do agree it's also hanging crookedly. I don't think there's a single Kili or Deathless out there that is completely straight. It was a good harvest year for bananas... :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

Kit, when you sign off on a production sample as the final one to be released to consumers, is there still a chance the factory could mess something after?

I ask because I just saw someone else's photo of their newly arrived Herugrim reissue and surprise, they're still putting the stiching of the hilt on the opposite side of the blade stamp. As you know, this has the effect of not leaving a 'clean' side to display the blade.

I'm asking because if this happens with Guthwine, I'm going to be devastated. To wait 15 years for this sword and then have this happen would be too much. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm Kit, when you sign off on a production sample as the final one to be released to consumers, is there still a chance the factory could mess something after?
Of course. There is always a chance something will get messed up and there are often changes made in production that do not match the samples I approved.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm I ask because I just saw someone else's photo of their newly arrived Herugrim reissue and surprise, they're still putting the stiching of the hilt on the opposite side of the blade stamp. As you know, this has the effect of not leaving a 'clean' side to display the blade.

I'm asking because if this happens with Guthwine, I'm going to be devastated. To wait 15 years for this sword and then have this happen would be too much. :angry:
I'm sure it will happen with Guthwine, as it has happened with literally every sword they have made. Hopefully it will be 1% or less, and not 15-20% like one of the Boromir runs from a few years back.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:37 pm I don't remember this happening with the old UC.
Trust me, that issue has been happening since the very first sword they made in the late 1990s, which was one of my designs. Every run seems to have about 1% that are assembled backwards like that. I actually just reminded them earlier this year to watch out for it, because they are making these new reissues at their old sword factory, same one that made the Boromir swords.

Every sword factory I have ever worked with has made a few with marks of the wrong side. Some are worse than others. If it is a symmetrical sword, it happens.
KRDS

Dont tell the masses this otherwise everyone is going to ask me to inspect prior to shipping :p. Wasn't so bad before but now with 100+ pre-orders, I might need to hire someone for shipping day!
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:22 pm
RevAnakin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:28 pm Dont tell the masses this otherwise everyone is going to ask me to inspect prior to shipping :p. Wasn't so bad before but now with 100+ pre-orders, I might need to hire someone for shipping day!
As long as you inspect mine, we're good. :crazy:
And mine (since I already asked you about inspecting it when I was getting ready to pre-order mine) ...Thank Rev

RevAnakin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:28 pm Dont tell the masses this otherwise everyone is going to ask me to inspect prior to shipping :p. Wasn't so bad before but now with 100+ pre-orders, I might need to hire someone for shipping day!
I just checked, and the current stock of Herugrim were made over a year ago. It sounded like this was the first one they knew about.

Apparently all of the Eowyn reissue swords are sold, as well as the new run of Boromir swords that just shipped, which is great. Seems like LOTR collector interest is on the rise again.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:28 am
I just checked, and the current stock of Herugrim were made over a year ago. It sounded like this was the first one they knew about.

Apparently all of the Eowyn reissue swords are sold, as well as the new run of Boromir swords that just shipped, which is great. Seems like LOTR collector interest is on the rise again.
Good to know. I sold out all my Boromir's immediately and I have 30 Eowyn's on order.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Jash wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:32 am Oh wow! I was not expecting them to sell out so quickly! I don't even see Eowyn's on the BudK website lol.

Kit, are you allowed to say how many of each were made this round? And since they sold out so quickly, will UC do another batch??
I don't know how many they made, but typically they have to make about 600 of any sword, and that is often split into two batches. I'm sure they will make another run of Eowyn's sword if people want them, but I expect what they just shipped was only half the run. They always bring back the other swords that sold well periodically too. I'm surprised they still have Herugrims in stock after a year. I'm sure it will be a while before they do those again.
KRDS

Guards on the boromir swords are off... Gap between the blade and quillons are off if you look at them. Didnt notice before ditching the shipper and return label or it'd have been back out the door...
Can't really say I'm surprised. Theres always something with UC QC lol. This has lead me to avoid future purchases to rebuild the collection though. Kudos to the guy in the FB group who noticed.

JJByers wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:28 pm Guards on the boromir swords are off... Gap between the blade and quillons are off if you look at them. Didnt notice before ditching the shipper and return label or it'd have been back out the door...
Can't really say I'm surprised. Theres always something with UC QC lol. This has lead me to avoid future purchases to rebuild the collection though. Kudos to the guy in the FB group who noticed.
How severe is it on your sword? Mine has a very tiny bit of asymmetry in the quillons but you really have to be looking for it to notice.

Iron Hills Shield. M.E. scale. Arrived broken in a few spots sadly. Got it glued back together for the most part. Fairly happy with it. The red is duller in hand please excuse the filter on the image. I just like it more that way. Most likely the last addition to my Middle Earth collection for quite some time.
img_20201106_092943_095.jpg
img_20201106_093128_201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JJByers wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:28 pm Guards on the boromir swords are off... Gap between the blade and quillons are off if you look at them. Didnt notice before ditching the shipper and return label or it'd have been back out the door...
I just had a customer report this:

"Boromir’s and it has the worst problem.
The fuller is off centre on the display side of the blade by about 2mm by the time it gets to the bottom, doesn’t sound like much but being so wide it’s one of those things where once you notice its as clear as day and painfully obvious. Don’t know if that’s a common problem with that sword or not."

Yeeeeah.
Honestly. Im done going off on United's half assed attempts and QC issues. Skipped out on Eowyn's sword, people said those are fine. But I'm not giving them anymore of my money. I know my purchases won't affect them big picture. But. As long as people blindly keep buying and accepting, "we will forward these issues to our product development team" they aren't gonna do anything. Because they know you're gonna buy it anyway lol. I'm selling off some of what I have, will keep my personal favorites, and am calling it done with UC.
So yeah, best of luck to everyone else. I do look forward to seeing everyone acquisitions.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:23 am United posted a few more of my pix on Facebook. Basically the same shot as above, just with the display.

The outside of the sample looks good, but the inside is not completely finished yet. It's going to have leather padding inside and a chin strap like the last few helms, so that stuff still needs to be finished and sampled. It's getting close though. I'm tweaking the paint a bit too and having them dull down the display finish.
I received #85 today and I'd say it looks really close to the production sample. I should have the Horn of Gondor early next week.

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:39 pm I got one today from production as well. The steel coloring on the helm is not quite as "steel looking" as the proto I approved, but close. The only thing that really looks off to me is that there seems to be a shiny clear coating added over the whole helm. I can see that on your helm too.

I hope they did not do that with the horn. I have one from production coming tomorrow.
Yes, there most certainly is a heavy gloss coat over the whole thing. I also had a heck of a time with the synthetic horse hair being tangled. I used a pick, but also ended up pulling out about a dozen strands or so.

I also hope they didn't add the gloss to the horn as it should need it over the entire piece.

Edit - Here is a pic from the FOU forum and it looks like it does have the gloss over the whole piece.

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm
N2darkness wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:59 pm I also had a heck of a time with the synthetic horse hair being tangled. I used a pick, but also ended up pulling out about a dozen strands or so.
It should have been wrapped in a poly bag to prevent it from being tangled in packing. I do not recommend using a hair pick or comb on it. I made that mistake on the first sample and destroyed it.
It was wrapped in plastic, but moving it around and trying it on may have caused the tangles. I only combed a few sections at a time and held on to it to keep from putting any pressure near where it was glued in. I won't do anymore now that I know it can ruin it.

Jash wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:05 am Congrats N2! The helm turned out great (judging by your pictures). What is your personal opinion on the piece if I may ask?
It is quite heavy compared to the other helms. This also the first helm that has been painted to look like metal and it looks good from a distance on display, but probably won't hold up to close scrutiny. You won't have to worry about rust, but with it being polyresin you will have to worry about possible cracks or damage in the long run. Overall I'm happy for the price I paid and will look great on display. Now just waiting for Guthwine (hopefully next month!).

Hey Kit,
Quick question from another forum, the purchaser being worried about potential fail points on Boromir's horn. Are the little bits of leather actually riveted down or just glued or epoxied onto the resin? They're worried overtime it will give it up and fall breaking the horn. Same for the butted rings holding the strap to said leather.
I was reading and seemed like good questions and thought I'd bring it up here. Thanks in advance.

Valkrist wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:08 pm Speaking of the greatest unicorn in the history of collecting (Guthwine), now that the Helm and Horn are out, are we any closer to knowing when this sword will ship?
Pair of unicorns, harnessed, in tandem (Indy's and UC's) :-p

Re: the gloss on the horn (not concerned about the helm because I have Andrew's, which is the only one I want in my collection)....
That shininess bothers me... a lot.
Thinking about masking all the decorative parts and and then applying a matte finish polycoat to the "horn" parts.
Maybe I'll have to remove the shiny polycoat first, but I really, really want to dull that thang.

This whole gloss coating is super irritating. I understand the purpose in that it is likely a protective layer of some kind, but Kit... as you likely would know best, is there not a clear yet non-glossy product that UC can use that would give the item the same protection yet not have it look like it just got pulled out of a vat of hand sanitizer? I feel like I need sunglasses just to look at that thing. Making me rethink keeping my current Horn, and I'm also curious to hear your response to the concern about the rivets that JJ asked about.
This Space for Rent

Buckeye wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:34 pm Kit, the Horn of Gondor is an absolute home run! Very nice, indeed. The Eomer helm is also excellent. I'm happy to have both pieces in my collection, and am truly looking forward to Guthwine . . . one of my LOTR collecting grails.
I agree. I got two from production today and both were finished nicely. There is a shiny clear coat on the brass parts, but not on the horn, thankfully. I was actually surprised at how good the horn parts look. The brass is a bit more clean and polished that the prototypes, but overall, I thought they did great.

The helm is just OK, IMO. I guess if I did not have the prop I would really like it.
KRDS

JJByers wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:01 am Hey Kit,
Quick question from another forum, the purchaser being worried about potential fail points on Boromir's horn. Are the little bits of leather actually riveted down or just glued or epoxied onto the resin? They're worried overtime it will give it up and fall breaking the horn. Same for the butted rings holding the strap to said leather.
I was reading and seemed like good questions and thought I'd bring it up here. Thanks in advance.

Not possible to rivet through polyresin. Two screws hold each leather strap to the horn, with nut and washer on the underside. Or at least that is what they were supposed to do, but I did see the phillips screw tops on one sample before they added the covers. I never swung it around by the strap to see how much force it would require to rip it apart, since it's just a display piece. The nut/washers are covered over inside the horn, and the phillips head screw caps are covered over outside with little caps. I did not want any of that visible.

I'm not sure what the other question is. Someone is worried the steel rings will break?
Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:46 pm
JJByers wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:01 am Hey Kit,
Not possible to rivet through polyresin. Two screws hold each leather strap to the horn, with nut and washer on the underside. Or at least that is what they were supposed to do, but I did see the phillips screw tops on one sample before they added the covers. I never swung it around by the strap to see how much force it would require to rip it apart, since it's just a display piece. The nut/washers are covered over inside the horn, and the phillips head screw caps are covered over outside with little caps. I did not want any of that visible.

I'm not sure what the other question is. Someone is worried the steel rings will break?
Kit, the questions are related to the concern over the
Horn having a considerable amount of weight to it. To hear you describe it, it sounds like the connection between the Horn and strap is very secure though, for something that is meant to be displayed as a hanging object. The concern over the rings is if there is any potential they might slowly open over time, again due to the weight that Horn will exert on them.

On the glossy finish, as I don't have the Horn yet, I'll reserve any further criticism until I have it in hand. It just looks awfully shiny from the photos I've seen and I don't mean the brass parts. Maybe it's just a trick of the light in the photos then?
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:15 pm
Buckeye wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:34 pm Kit, the Horn of Gondor is an absolute home run! Very nice, indeed. The Eomer helm is also excellent. I'm happy to have both pieces in my collection, and am truly looking forward to Guthwine . . . one of my LOTR collecting grails.
I agree. I got two from production today and both were finished nicely. There is a shiny clear coat on the brass parts, but not on the horn, thankfully. I was actually surprised at how good the horn parts look. The brass is a bit more clean and polished that the prototypes, but overall, I thought they did great.

The helm is just OK, IMO. I guess if I did not have the prop I would really like it.
Hey Kit, I purchased some actual white horse hair on Etsy to replace the tail on the Eomer helm. Do you know how it is attached? I'm assuming some sort of glue.

Yeah just asking lol
I got the impression they have had a few bad experiences with UC (surprise right......) and are a big Boromir fan and want some reassurance they haven't thrown away money with the state of things now.
I will say the ring in that picture and the wire the customer got aren't the same. A key ring and butted wire aren't the same. Idk. I think a table top display would've been better but do like the look of the plaque. Pics look glossy but it looks nice. Well done. Maybe someone will gift me one lmao. I'm still on a self appointed UC ban.
I will relay the screw/rivet cover bit though. They asked only because the leather seem especially stiff where the "rivet" was like its been glued underneath.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”