Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Valkrist wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm Clearly, otherwise the question wouldn't have been posed.

Hey, don't shoot me and JJ... we're just relaying the question. :lol:
I just seemed like an odd question. The horn is not that heavy. It weighs about what a real horn would weigh at that size, and you would probably need 80lbs or more to bend the steel rings.

I am going to replace the rings with a thicker, more film accurate gauge on the one I am going to customize. I have braided leather horse reins that I bought to replace the strap on my old Blind Squirrel prop that looks more accurate than the United strap too. I may dirty up the brass parts more too, not sure. I kind of like the cleaner look now that I see it, but I probably wont be able to resist messing with it.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 pm Hey Kit, I purchased some actual white horse hair on Etsy to replace the tail on the Eomer helm. Do you know how it is attached? I'm assuming some sort of glue.
This will give you an idea of how deep the hole is, if that helps. I suggest cutting the ends of the horse hair that is going into the hole flat and test fit that into the hole before doing any gluing. After you have the hair diameter tight enough and fitting well, dip that end into about 3/8" of slow drying epoxy so that all of the hair gets completely covered on the end. I used a toothpick to spread the hairs apart so the glue got in between them. If the hair in the middle does not get bonded with epoxy, it may fall out over time, as it did on my Weta prop.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: This will give you an idea of how deep the hole is, if that helps. I suggest cutting the ends of the horse hair that is going into the hole flat and test fit that into the hole before doing any gluing. After you have the hair diameter tight enough and fitting well, dip that end into about 3/8" of slow drying epoxy so that all of the hair gets completely covered on the end. I used a toothpick to spread the hairs apart so the glue got in between them. If the hair in the middle does not get bonded with epoxy, it may fall out over time, as it did on my Weta prop.
Thanks for the photos and suggestions on the horse hair. I kinda had that idea as well, but never worked with anything quite like that before. I just hoping it lays better than the imitation hair does.
Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:21 am
I just seemed like an odd question. The horn is not that heavy. It weighs about what a real horn would weigh at that size, and you would probably need 80lbs or more to bend the steel rings.

I am going to replace the rings with a thicker, more film accurate gauge on the one I am going to customize. I have braided leather horse reins that I bought to replace the strap on my old Blind Squirrel prop that looks more accurate than the United strap too. I may dirty up the brass parts more too, not sure. I kind of like the cleaner look now that I see it, but I probably wont be able to resist messing with it.
I already purchased a leather braided horse rein on Ebay and plan to switch it out as well as the rings. Do you happen to know what size the prop rings were?

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:27 am Based on the photos I scaled they are about 17-18mm in diameter. I have some 11 gauge 20mm rings that I am going to use.
Excellent. I have some 1/8 thick hooks I can turn into rings that should work then.

Have to wait till I have my horn in hand, but it does look like it could use a black weathering pass on a lot of the silver parts to closer resemble the prop. Especially on the lower section that you have pictured.

That's one of the prototypes in the photo, not a production horn. It does not have any of the darker airbrushing added that is on the production horns, like this.

I don't know if black is the way to go to add a more oxidized or tarnished look for the deep places. I tried it and had the factory try it, but it just came across as too dark compared to the upper collar, which does not have the same look. I also messed around with a dark silver gray paint wash, but what looked best to me was brushing on some dull clear coat in those deep places. These are some really sloppy tests I did last year, but I think you can see how it looks.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:34 am ....
Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:21 am I am going to replace the rings with a thicker, more film accurate gauge on the one I am going to customize. I have braided leather horse reins that I bought to replace the strap on my old Blind Squirrel prop that looks more accurate than the United strap too. I may dirty up the brass parts more too, not sure. I kind of like the cleaner look now that I see it, but I probably wont be able to resist messing with it.
I already purchased a leather braided horse rein on Ebay and plan to switch it out as well as the rings. Do you happen to know what size the prop rings were?
N2 and Kit..... Can you [both of you] post pics of the braided straps you are going to use? I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about but I'd like to see a pic or two anyway.
N2 where on ebay did you find he strap?
Kit...thanks for the precise specs on the rings .....I know where to find them, maybe even with a different finish like antique brass or "old" silver.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:52 am That's one of the prototypes in the photo, not a production horn. It does not have any of the darker airbrushing added that is on the production horns, like this.

I don't know if black is the way to go to add a more oxidized or tarnished look for the deep places. I tried it and had the factory try it, but it just came across as too dark compared to the upper collar, which does not have the same look. I also messed around with a dark silver gray paint wash, but what looked best to me was brushing on some dull clear coat in those deep places. These are some really sloppy tests I did last year, but I think you can see how it looks.
I had done a dark pewter wash on the top of the Blind Squirrel kit I did and just slightly darker for the bottom. I like how the dull looks to. I'll do some experimenting when it arrives.

Deimos wrote: N2 and Kit..... Can you [both of you] post pics of the braided straps you are going to use? I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about but I'd like to see a pic or two anyway.
N2 where on ebay did you find he strap?
Kit...thanks for the precise specs on the rings .....I know where to find them, maybe even with a different finish like antique brass or "old" silver.
Here is a very similar listing for the one I got. The leather brading looks just like the one Kit had posted in the photo showing the rings he was going to use.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-ROPING ... SwPAxaNcj-
Idril wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:38 pm In regard to the hair, can I also add my 2 cents worth (in case you don’t know).

Hair has a nap - meaning a right way up. You need to attach the hair in the direction it would be if it was growing out of the helm (so the direction it grew from the horse essentially). This is very important in wig making so it will mean the hair will ‘sit’ better.
Thanks for the tip Idril! I'll make sure to check before I glue it in.

My strap is probably too thick and too nicely and perfectly braided for this. The film prop strap, and the split prop strap I saw at the LOTR Exhibit, were skinny and a bit ratty and cheap looking. The one in that ebay listing will probably be easier to rough up like that.
Idril wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:38 pm In regard to the hair, can I also add my 2 cents worth (in case you don’t know).

Hair has a nap - meaning a right way up. You need to attach the hair in the direction it would be if it was growing out of the helm (so the direction it grew from the horse essentially). This is very important in wig making so it will mean the hair will ‘sit’ better.
Good point. That did not even occur to me.
KRDS

Received my horn today. Very nice piece. I had already sold my resin kit from Blind Squirrel on Ebay a few weeks ago, but I did notice that the horn shape is a bit different between the two. I'm sure this one is much more accurate. I also found a small chip missing on the lower ring on the silver detail area. Nothing too bad, and something I plan on fixing, but just be on the look out. The mouth piece also seems to be a slightly darker color than the other silver parts as well and hadn't noticed that before either. Probably going to fix it with some silver rub'n'buff as with a few other areas after weathering.

So N2, what is your verdict on the shininess? Was it only the result of the lighting/camera angle in the other pics or is it truly shiny?
I'm thinking it must look acceptable or you would have mentioned it.

Deimos wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:27 pm So N2, what is your verdict on the shininess? Was it only the result of the lighting/camera angle in the other pics or is it truly shiny?
I'm thinking it must look acceptable or you would have mentioned it.
It is definitely shiny, on the horn and brass parts, the silver is less and more of a satin. All of the pictures I have seen of the prop all have a very reflective finish so it does not bother me. I guess if it did bother you could go over the horn with a matte finish to dull it down.

N2darkness wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:27 pm ...
It is definitely shiny, on the horn and brass parts, the silver is less and more of a satin. All of the pictures I have seen of the prop all have a very reflective finish so it does not bother me. I guess if it did bother you could go over the horn with a matte finish to dull it down.
Might only requiree going over the actual horn part(s) with some 0000 steel wool to dull it.
As far as aging the rest of it I do want to do that but I'll wait unti the more experienced "Prop age-ers" do their horns, and THEN copy what they do. :laugh:

"No problem with learning from experience....but it's better to learn form others' experience."

N2darkness wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:56 am Kit, is there photos that show the brass collar showing through the decorative silver parts? I've been going over repainting or just weathering mine and all the rest of the photos I have seem to look like the silver parts are solid.
Yes, but it depends on which prop you are looking at. The hero prop shots I have and the broken one from the LOTR exhibit do not appear to be solid, but in other prop photos those parts do appear solid. I think it probably depended on if it was a real brass and silver prop or if it was an all Urethane painted prop. The broken one I was able to see up close, and it was real brass and silver. I think the ones painted solid were probably all cast Urethane props. The LOTR props department made those, and unlike Weta, I don't think they were always consistent from prop to prop.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 am
N2darkness wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:56 am Kit, is there photos that show the brass collar showing through the decorative silver parts? I've been going over repainting or just weathering mine and all the rest of the photos I have seem to look like the silver parts are solid.
Yes, but it depends on which prop you are looking at. The hero prop shots I have and the broken one from the LOTR exhibit do not appear to be solid, but in other prop photos those parts do appear solid. I think it probably depended on if it was a real brass and silver prop or if it was an all Urethane painted prop. The broken one I was able to see up close, and it was real brass and silver. I think the ones painted solid were probably all cast Urethane props. The LOTR props department made those, and unlike Weta, I don't think they were always consistent from prop to prop.
Thank for the info and the additional pics! I guess I'll leave things the way they are and do some touch up to the silver parts after my chip repair.

Kit may know (does know?) but I cannot recall if he has ever been specific about the translation.

The language is Old English (Beowulf was written in Old English) .
By way of comparison Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and Shakespeare' works are in Middle English.
In any case I came up with the following translation which Andrew asked from me when he was making Eomer's Helm:

Eomer helm inscription (my stab at it , anyway....)

EOMER ME WERED WÍGCRÆFTIG FRUMA

HEARD UNDER HEALME THEODENES MÆG

Eomer wears me cunning in war a captain bold under the crown of Theoden kinsman

EOMER ... ME .... WERED ... WÍGCRÆFTIG ... ..................................................... FRUMA
Eomer ... me ... wears .... cunning (or “skilled”) in war (or “warcraft”) .... [a] captain (or “prince)

HEARD........ ................... ........ ..........UNDER ...... .............................. HEALME ....... .......................... THEODENES ....................... MÆG
bold (or “hard” or "hardy" )....... under (or subject to/of) ........ [the] crown//helm .......... [of] Theoden...................... [my] kinsman

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:10 am I never had a direct translation of this text like I did with the sword translations. All I got from New Line back in the day, which I'm sure they got from Weta or Salo, was that it was about the helm belonging to soldier and prince Éomer, protector and kinsman of Théoden, so that is basically what I put on the COA.
That part "protector ...... of Théoden, " sounds better (and makes better sense) than my "translation"

I would still love to have a real translation from Salo of that second line, or what the intended translation was meant to be.

The mid•height interpunct in the second line was probably meant to be a comma. Knowing 'protector' was intended, this was my guess at the translation.
HEARD UNDER HEALME • THEODENES MÆG
strong over crown • Theoden kinsman
protector of the king, my kinsman Theoden

The mid•height interpunct separators between the words in the first line make it appear to be less of a sentence and more like an identification tag stating the owner and rank. Maybe your helmet was your dog tag in Rohan :)
:EOMER • ME • WERED • WÍGCRÆFTIG • FRUMA:
Eomer • me • wears • soldier • captain
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:59 am
Ronin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 am Unless I'm mistaken I think Kit means that they've sold out to retail outlets that ordered them.
Correct. I am talking about United, not dealers.
I still have Eowyn's and Boromir's ready to ship!

Also, for Guthwine, we are still seeing a 2/12 release date which means BUDK retail gets it then and us dealers will have to wait a week or two. So I'm telling everyone to expect March for their shipping confirmations and tracking!
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:00 am I would still love to have a real translation from Salo of that second line, or what the intended translation was meant to be.

The mid•height interpunct in the second line was probably meant to be a comma. Knowing 'protector' was intended, this was my guess at the translation.
HEARD UNDER HEALME • THEODENES MÆG
strong over crown • Theoden kinsman
protector of the king, my kinsman Theoden

The mid•height interpunct separators between the words in the first line make it appear to be less of a sentence and more like an identification tag stating the owner and rank. Maybe your helmet was your dog tag in Rohan :)
:EOMER • ME • WERED • WÍGCRÆFTIG • FRUMA:
Eomer • me • wears • soldier • captain
I do have to say, each Eomer helm has a slightly different wear pattern. Some have 'scratches' while others have little 'dents' to show wear. They are clearly paint weather effects, but I'm praying my customers don't think these are manufacturing defects.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:39 am
RevAnakin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:08 am I do have to say, each Eomer helm has a slightly different wear pattern. Some have 'scratches' while others have little 'dents' to show wear. They are clearly paint weather effects, but I'm praying my customers don't think these are manufacturing defects.
On the leather part with the lettering? Or are you talking about the helm part?
On the 'metal' helm part. Leather was flawless with no weathering.

Ah, I see. When you responded to my translation post I thought you could have been referring to the leather.

There are slight hammer dents in the helm shape that are intentional, as on the prop. They are deeper than the prototypes on the two production helms I have, but that depth will vary as the rubber molds shrink slightly with each casting. I don't see anything I would call painted scratches on them. I can see some dark streaks on the paint wash over the brass horse neck crest on one of them. Is that what you mean?
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 am Ah, I see. When you responded to my translation post I thought you could have been referring to the leather.

There are slight hammer dents in the helm shape that are intentional, as on the prop. They are deeper than the prototypes on the two production helms I have, but that depth will vary as the rubber molds shrink slightly with each casting. I don't see anything I would call painted scratches on them. I can see some dark streaks on the paint wash over the brass horse neck crest on one of them. Is that what you mean?
It's all just hand painted variation. Some had the hammer "dents," some did not. Some have this half moon thin brush stroke that looks like a "scratch" but it's all weathering and nothing obvious.

RevAnakin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:21 am
Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 am Ah, I see. When you responded to my translation post I thought you could have been referring to the leather.

It's all just hand painted variation. Some had the hammer "dents," some did not. Some have this half moon thin brush stroke that looks like a "scratch" but it's all weathering and nothing obvious.
Hey Rev, have you herd about any more re-issues? I've seen the Witchking sword up on BudK with a date of 06/21. Narsil, Gondorian shield and Ringwraith sword also are listed, but no dates. Hopefully some new stuff as well.

N2darkness wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:53 am
RevAnakin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:21 am

Hey Rev, have you herd about any more re-issues? I've seen the Witchking sword up on BudK with a date of 06/21. Narsil, Gondorian shield and Ringwraith sword also are listed, but no dates. Hopefully some new stuff as well.
I know for a fact Witchking and Ringwraith Q3 and I've had no confirmation of anything else.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:03 am It's going to be a while for both of those. Too costly to make those again in the old Taiwan factory, so tooling is being moved to United's China factory. It will take some time for setup and sampling before they can start making them.
After Guthwine, Drew said the next two are Witchking and Ringwraith. Is there anything else coming down the pipeline? Because I have 100+ customers who all message me like 5 times a week asking. With the June date on the Wholesale site, I just said Q3 to build in the multiple delays there no doubt will be.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:03 am It's going to be a while for both of those. Too costly to make those again in the old Taiwan factory, so tooling is being moved to United's China factory. It will take some time for setup and sampling before they can start making them.
Do you think the corroded metal finish will look different coming from a different factory? I'm assuming it was an acid etching of some sorts, so it could be done the same.

RevAnakin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 am After Guthwine, Drew said the next two are Witchking and Ringwraith.
Those are the two I was referring to.
RevAnakin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 am Is there anything else coming down the pipeline? Because I have 100+ customers who all message me like 5 times a week asking. With the June date on the Wholesale site, I just said Q3 to build in the multiple delays there no doubt will be.
Nothing in the immediate future other than Guthwine, but there may be other reissues they want to do that I am not aware of yet. There are always things in the works that I am involved with that I have mentioned here, like a possible Faramir sword and Boromir dagger. There are a few poly prop replicas that may get made, like Theoden's helm, Eomer's spear, a Legolas bow, et cetera.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:23 am Do you think the corroded metal finish will look different coming from a different factory? I'm assuming it was an acid etching of some sorts, so it could be done the same.
It was a deep etch pattern on both original swords, and will be again. It will look different, but I'm working with them to be sure the look matches on everything else. They have not made these in many years and the factory lost the old corrosion etching artwork, so I recreated it a few weeks ago. I intentionally made it different than the old art so it won't look exactly the same. If you look at the old pattern, the same shapes are repeated, and that always bothered me.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 am
N2darkness wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:23 am Do you think the corroded metal finish will look different coming from a different factory? I'm assuming it was an acid etching of some sorts, so it could be done the same.
It was a deep etch pattern on both original swords, and will be again. It will look different, but I'm working with them to be sure the look matches on everything else. They have not made these in many years and the factory lost the old corrosion etching artwork, so I recreated it a few weeks ago. I intentionally made it different than the old art so it won't look exactly the same. If you look at the old pattern, the same shapes are repeated, and that always bothered me.
Excellent thank you!

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:34 am
Nothing in the immediate future other than Guthwine, but there may be other reissues they want to do that I am not aware of yet. There are always things in the works that I am involved with that I have mentioned here, like a possible Faramir sword and Boromir dagger. There are a few poly prop replicas that may get made, like Theoden's helm, Eomer's spear, a Legolas bow, et cetera.
When you forward those tooling specs to the factory, any chance you could sneak in plans and drawings for the third wraith sword with the crossguard finger ring? :crazy:

You can always add a note that says: "Before you ask, yes, there were always three wraith swords, yeah... that's the ticket." :laugh:
This Space for Rent

I brought it up twice last year, but they seemed much more interested in Sauron's sword TBH. It even came up again today.

The Ringwraith sword never sold quite like the other LOTR swords, which is why we dropped the idea for the third one at the old UC. Not a flop by any means, but the good guy swords always outsold the bad guy swords. If the Witch-king and Ringwraith reissues smoke out the door, who knows... I don't think the Ringwraith sword was ever reissued after the original production ended, so hopefully there is interest for those with the newer LOTR collectors.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm I brought it up twice last year, but they seemed much more interested in Sauron's sword TBH. It even came up again today.
Oh dear, this is sure to set off another firestorm of speculation and claims that it's as good as a done deal. :rolleye:

I posted your most recent comments here over at FoU regarding your thoughts on the unlikelyhood of this and the compromises that would have to be made, but it did nothing to stop the chanting and claims that people would pay up to $1000 to see this sword get made. To them, I say good luck, but I have zero interest in it.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm I brought it up twice last year, but they seemed much more interested in Sauron's sword TBH. It even came up again today.

The Ringwraith sword never sold quite like the other LOTR swords, which is why we dropped the idea for the third one at the old UC. Not a flop by any means, but the good guy swords always outsold the bad guy swords. If the Witch-king and Ringwraith reissues smoke out the door, who knows... I don't think the Ringwraith sword was ever reissued after the original production ended, so hopefully there is interest for those with the newer LOTR collectors.
I have hope. As I have been posting my collection on Instagram I have been lots of questions on older UC items especially the Ringwraith sword. Almost all of my Nazgul photos get twice as much traffic as others including "good guys". Fingers crossed for the 3rd Ringwraith sword.

As for the Sauron sword, are they still considering a modified steel version or a polyresin version? Also a smaller scale I would imagine as well.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 am I have hope. As I have been posting my collection on Instagram I have been lots of questions on older UC items especially the Ringwraith sword. Almost all of my Nazgul photos get twice as much traffic as others including "good guys". Fingers crossed for the 3rd Ringwraith sword.
I think it will happen eventually.
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 am As for the Sauron sword, are they still considering a modified steel version or a polyresin version? Also a smaller scale I would imagine as well.
They were never considering a polyresin version. Don't know where that came from, but it doesn't even make sense. What I recommended was reducing the actor scale prop size to Anduril size, and we discussed simplifications to the blade grinds to make it manufacturable (which I hate), and some other 'artistic license' changes - similar to the WK sword changes.
KRDS

RevAnakin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:32 am Still mind boggling that we would make a sword that no one has seen vs one with screen time but hey whatever sells I guess!
That's one of the negatives to doing it. For what that Sauron Sword tooling will cost alone, UC could probably tool up at least two other unreleased LOTR swords that were actually used in the films, like Faramir's+Haldir's swords, for example.

The demand for the Sauron prop replicas has been huge though, which is why we wanted to do it at the old UC, and why it is still being discussed at UC now.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 am
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 am I have hope. As I have been posting my collection on Instagram I have been lots of questions on older UC items especially the Ringwraith sword. Almost all of my Nazgul photos get twice as much traffic as others including "good guys". Fingers crossed for the 3rd Ringwraith sword.
I think it will happen eventually.
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 am As for the Sauron sword, are they still considering a modified steel version or a polyresin version? Also a smaller scale I would imagine as well.
They were never considering a polyresin version. Don't know where that came from, but it doesn't even make sense. What I recommended was reducing the actor scale prop size to Anduril size, and we discussed simplifications to the blade grinds to make it manufacturable (which I hate), and some other 'artistic license' changes - similar to the WK sword changes.
I think the polyresin version was a guess based upon the blade design not being able to made the same and that there has already been a polyresin sword (Thorin regal sword) and gave it as an option. Speculations run wild on other forums, you know hopes and dreams and a small dose of reason sometimes kicks in.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:06 am I think the polyresin version was a guess based upon the blade design not being able to made the same and that there has already been a polyresin sword (Thorin regal sword) and gave it as an option. Speculations run wild on other forums, you know hopes and dreams and a small dose of reason sometimes kicks in.
Thorin's Regal sword was more of a fantasy weapon than a sword or anything in LOTR. UC only made it in poly because the blade, being almost an inch thick, could not made of steel in production. Even the prop was not made of steel, for a reason. It was just Urethane, as were most of the Dwarven weapons.

The LOTR swords were designed built more like real swords, and were made with real steel blades. They would be be much too thin to do in poly, and I'm not sure what the point would be vs steel. A poly blade would warp in casting and would have horrible breakage issues because they are long and only around 1/4" thick.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”