Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:32 pm They were never going to be limited, and I think I mentioned here last year that there will be no more new LOTR limited editions from United.

The 20th anniversary mark for TTT was always going to be on there. There was supposed to be a special edition 20th anniversary Sting for FOTR last year too, but that one got delayed. I suppose they can still do it since it's in all three movies.
Apologies... that's what I thought, but Drew's statement on FB threw me off on the "limited edition".

The 20th Anniversary Sting - may I ask what UC was going to do to make it stand out?
Will the blue bladed version now me the anniversary edition?

Hhmmm not sure I'm sold on the WK Flail. I'd want it to be to scale (or close), but don't think that'll be practical on a production standpoint lol.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Jash wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:10 pm The 20th Anniversary Sting - may I ask what UC was going to do to make it stand out?
Will the blue bladed version now me the anniversary edition?
That was the anniversary edition.
Jash wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:10 pm Hhmmm not sure I'm sold on the WK Flail. I'd want it to be to scale (or close), but don't think that'll be practical on a production standpoint lol.
It would be scale
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:25 am I received two Eomer spears from production yesterday. They looked good, but the spear head on one was cracked in half in shipping. Hopefully others won't have the same luck, but I don't think the remailer box they are shipping in is very sturdy.
Oh dear, that's not encouraging news. I hope we don't have another Elven Polearm debacle on our hands - the packaging for that one was horrible, with the super flimsy and thin box, and the zip ties that basically snapped because the polearm was secured to nothing but cheap cardboard. resulting in a lot of scratched blades and poles, and punctured boxes (what I heard from at least two retailers and witnessed firsthand).

I really can't fathom the thought process at UC when it comes to things like this. Would not investing a few dollars more on decent packaging and a thicker box prevent a far greater loss in having to replace damaged product? Seems like basic economics to me.
This Space for Rent

I don't know if it was UC or the factory that goofed up. Most of their poly stuff ships double boxed, with an inner corrugated box and a stiffer outer corrugated remailer box. This just had one corrugated box, which felt rather thin. It could have been the high humidity we have here making it feel thin and flexible.

I don't know if that's why it broke, but it was packed well inside the polyfoam mold.
KRDS

Let's hope so.

I don't have the approved sample here to photograph side-by-side, but the cold cast steel is not quite as "real" looking as that one was, but production rarely is. It's pretty good though.

The only thing I was disappointed in - other than the packaging - is the shaft joint does not exactly match up. The two halves are cut from the same piece of wood, but when they are joined the grain does not exactly line up. Close, but not exact. The wood is so dark you would not notice from a distance, but I can tell up close.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:33 pm I don't even think that's on their list to develop, but they will probably want to take a break from Rohan helms for the next one. I think finishing the High Elven War Helm edition that was started at the old United, and finishing the run of WitchKing helms is what they want to focus on next. We also talked about making the Mouth of Sauron helm/mask.
Ah well I'm not going to complain about that! While I would love a Rohan Royal Guard helmet, the High Elven Warrior helmet and the Witchking helmet keep eluding me so I will be happy to order those!

Hi Kit, with UC taking on Boromir's dagger, do you think there is any chance that UC makes a replica of Boromir's shield? That shield is one of the iconic weapons/gear of the fellowship, and it's pretty surprising that after 20 years there is no licensed replica of the most recognizable shield in the trilogy. Is there a reason UC
has never tried to make one? I would have thought it would have been their first choice for shields.

I have never been able to get them interested in Boromir's shield, at the old or the current UC. It has not been something they have ever had lots of requests for either, but it's the same with the dagger. Maybe if the dagger sells well, it will spark interest in doing the sword scabbard and shield.

The only shield they seem to have interest in currently is Gil Galad's, but shipping dimensions are a killer for that, unless I can figure a way to make it in two pieces so it can ship in a smaller box.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:45 am I have never been able to get them interested in Boromir's shield, at the old or the current UC. It has not been something they have ever had lots of requests for either, but it's the same with the dagger. Maybe if the dagger sells well, it will spark interest in doing the sword scabbard and shield.

The only shield they seem to have interest in currently is Gil Galad's, but shipping dimensions are a killer for that, unless I can figure a way to make it in two pieces so it can ship in a smaller box.
That is just so bizarre, I would have thought it would have been their first choice, it just seems like a no brainer. It gets the most screen time, and belongs to a member of the fellowship. But with UC doing Boromir's horn and now knife I hope they will do his shield, I would think it would be easier to ship than Gil-Galad's shield.

TMcLim wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:37 am That is just so bizarre, I would have thought it would have been their first choice, it just seems like a no brainer. It gets the most screen time, and belongs to a member of the fellowship. But with UC doing Boromir's horn and now knife I hope they will do his shield, I would think it would be easier to ship than Gil-Galad's shield.
Let's hope so.

I wanted to have replicas made of all of his props, but anything Boromir was a hard sell with UC back in the old days, and his sword never sold very well back then. He was a tragic character, but ultimately a hero in the end. Many non-book fans did not get that, or like the character at all 20 years ago. I think most of the movie fans did not really appreciate him until years later, especially after we got the extended edition of TTT. Thankfully now most fans get that he was not just some jerk who tried to steal the ring!
KRDS

It took a little while for me to warm up to Boromir. I didn't like him at first (which is a testament to Sean Bean's acting) but found him such a honorable and tragic character over the years and one of my favorite characters.

Truthfully, I want all the main character weapons and even a lot of the generic Gondor, Elven and Rohan infantry pieces. The only thing I've never really been interested in is the orc weapons as they look like a bunch of cobbled together weapons and nothing I want adorned on my walls.

Besides the occasional poll that is done on the Facebook collectors group, you would think in today's day and age UC could generate enough money with a Kick-starter campaign to pretty much make any item they want (or collectors to gauge actual interest with definite numbers) and the cost of an item from polyresin to fully CNC machined.

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:57 am
TMcLim wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:37 am That is just so bizarre, I would have thought it would have been their first choice, it just seems like a no brainer. It gets the most screen time, and belongs to a member of the fellowship. But with UC doing Boromir's horn and now knife I hope they will do his shield, I would think it would be easier to ship than Gil-Galad's shield.
Let's hope so.

I wanted to have replicas made of all of his props, but anything Boromir was a hard sell with UC back in the old days, and his sword never sold very well back then. He was a tragic character, but ultimately a hero in the end. Many non-book fans did not get that, or like the character at all 20 years ago. I think most of the movie fans did not really appreciate him until years later, especially after we got the extended edition of TTT. Thankfully now most fans get that he was not just some jerk who tried to steal the ring!
That is true he is very tragic, I think time has been kind to him, how did the horn of Gondor sell? That might be a good indicator as to how collectors are feeling about Boromir.

It sold very well, I am told. That's why they said go on the dagger. I have been trying to get that made for a long, long time.

UC does not have a reliable maker for a proper wood and leather shield at the moment, so even if the economy were not being tanked and they wanted to make it, I not sure now is the time. Sure, they could make polyresin prop replica, but I think that one could be made in real materials.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:00 am It sold very well, I am told. That's why they said go on the dagger. I have been trying to get that made for a long, long time.

UC does not have a reliable maker for a proper wood and leather shield at the moment, so even if the economy were not being tanked and they wanted to make it, I not sure now is the time. Sure, they could make polyresin prop replica, but I think that one could be made in real materials.
That is good to hear, hopefully the dagger does well, when it comes to Boromir's shield, I would rather wait and get a wood and leather version than a poly version . I'm sure you have brought this up to UC but what do you think the odds are that UC is interested in making the Nazgul guantlets? Assuming the Witchking Helmet sells well, and UC then decides to do the third Ringwraith sword, you think they would be interested in the guantlets? How did Saurons guantlet sell back in the day?

TMcLim wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:36 am That is good to hear, hopefully the dagger does well, when it comes to Boromir's shield, I would rather wait and get a wood and leather version than a poly version . I'm sure you have brought this up to UC but what do you think the odds are that UC is interested in making the Nazgul guantlets? Assuming the Witchking Helmet sells well, and UC then decides to do the third Ringwraith sword, you think they would be interested in the guantlets? How did Saurons guantlet sell back in the day?
The gauntlet sold well. Really, anything to do with Sauron has sold well. Collectors have been requesting Sauron's sword for along time, and the the main reason UC is seriously considering it is for that reason.

The Sauron gauntlet comes from a rather iconic LOTR scene though, and includes the oversized One Ring. The WitchKing gauntlets don't have quite that draw and would be about 2x the cost, close to $1000. I'm sure some collectors would buy them, but it would be a big risk.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:21 am
TMcLim wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:36 am That is good to hear, hopefully the dagger does well, when it comes to Boromir's shield, I would rather wait and get a wood and leather version than a poly version . I'm sure you have brought this up to UC but what do you think the odds are that UC is interested in making the Nazgul guantlets? Assuming the Witchking Helmet sells well, and UC then decides to do the third Ringwraith sword, you think they would be interested in the guantlets? How did Saurons guantlet sell back in the day?
The gauntlet sold well. Really, anything to do with Sauron has sold well. Collectors have been requesting Sauron's sword for along time, and the the main reason UC is seriously considering it is for that reason.

The Sauron gauntlet comes from a rather iconic LOTR scene though, and includes the oversized One Ring. The WitchKing gauntlets don't have quite that draw and would be about 2x the cost, close to $1000. I'm sure some collectors would buy them, but it would be a big risk.
Right on! Yes that makes sense, although the Ringwraith gauntlets are also in some iconic scenes and moments, I think they would do well be ya more of a risk than the third RW sword or Witchkings mace.

XerachCruz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:20 am
Ronin wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:56 am Blue Glamdring scabbard back in stock at Budk.

Hopefully it sells well and convinces UC to reissue the Ranger sword scabbard too. *fingers crossed*
Yes. As soon as Castle Kon has it available, I will buy one.

I hope it sells very well and reissue all the scabbards, and they also launch new scabbards for all the replicas they don't have yet.
I hope so. We know Guthwine is in the works and hopefully Herugrim next. Let them come!!!

Ronin wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:14 am I hope so. We know Guthwine is in the works and hopefully Herugrim next. Let them come!!!
I seem to remember that they also commented about the Boromir's scabbard, but I don't know what order of the release list it is in.

For my part, I will buy all the new scabbards that come out. I already have all the old scabbard, except for the Glamdring ones that I am waiting for and the Orcrist one that is the only one that I am not interested in having been made of resin.

It's a shame that the releases of a UC are delayed so much, I look regularly the estimated dates in BUDK of all the releases and re-releases that I want to buy, and every time the date approaches, it is delayed a few more months... at this rate , I will be able to buy Herugrim's scabbard as a retirement self-gift. :P

XerachCruz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:48 am It's a shame that the releases of a UC are delayed so much, I look regularly the estimated dates in BUDK of all the releases and re-releases that I want to buy, and every time the date approaches, it is delayed a few more months... at this rate , I will be able to buy Herugrim's scabbard as a retirement self-gift. :P
I have said it many times here before, but those dates are something that is generated by their system when they place a PO with United. When the dates come up, they are automatically bumped back a set date. They are not real shipping dates.
KRDS

What they really need to do is have someone find that one variable entry in the software and simply adjust the value to reflect current reality. It feels like that placeholder date hasn't been realistic and anywhere near accurate for years. I get it when it's an internal-only thing and no one cares, but when you have impatient customers (like we are) checking the site every other week or so, they could at least make a small effort to come in a little closer to a real date, even if that remains ultimately impossible to determine. It could be a little less broadly inaccurate, is all I'm saying. :crazy2:
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 am I have said it many times here before, but those dates are something that is generated by their system when they place a PO with United. When the dates come up, they are automatically bumped back a set date. They are not real shipping dates.
Excuse me Kit, I didn't mean to bother. I did not know that this has been discussed here, I am new to the forum and as you will understand, I have not read it in its entirety.

Even so, I am not referring to a estimated shipping date of a order, I have not made any order in BUDK because I am from outside the USA.

I am referring to the estimated launch dates that they put on the product sheets of the BUDK website. This date I mean:

I look at that date, because I assume that until it comes out in BUDK it won't come out in any other store, and that any other release date or order date from any other store is not a real date.

I'm buying my UC replicas from Castle Kon recently and they have them within a short time of being in stock at BUDK.

In the fastest stores in my country, items usually arrive 6 months after being in stock at BUDK, though some replicas take even much much longer.

XerachCruz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:53 pm I am referring to the estimated launch dates that they put on the product sheets of the BUDK website. This date I mean:
That is what I am talking about as well. Those are auto generated and almost never accurate.

For old items that are just being reordered, those dates are an average for a reorder but can be 30-90 days off. For brand new product they don't reflect anything real.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:53 am That is what I am talking about as well. Those are auto generated and almost never accurate.

For old items that are just being reordered, those dates are an average for a reorder but can be 30-90 days off. For brand new product they don't reflect anything real.
Thanks you very much for the explanation. :)

I thought that this date was set manually with the estimated date of arrival of the merchandise from the factory, not that it was generated automatically when the last order was made.

From now on I will stop being guided by those dates and I will simply check periodically in case they appear in stock one day.

XerachCruz wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:24 am
I thought that this date was set manually with the estimated date of arrival of the merchandise from the factory, not that it was generated automatically when the last order was made.
For new production runs of existing items there used to be a certain time frame window they could expect them to be complete and in stock, and I think those automatic dates were based on that, but even that is a crap shoot now. When UC knows a container has cleared customs and is headed to the warehouse they can manually put a date in their system, but at that point it's only a week or two away so it's not much of a benefit to anyone.

There is no estimated date of arrival for new items. I used to be able to guestimate within 2-3 months of when a product would actually be in stock, based on years and years of previous experience in product development. Things are so volatile and unpredictable in these past few years that I won't even attempt a guess anymore. Too many things are beyond anyone's control. Each project finally comes together eventually.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:20 am
Ronin wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:56 am Hopefully it sells well and convinces UC to reissue the Ranger sword scabbard too. *fingers crossed*
They have actually been looking into the cost and the current state of the old tooling to determine if it is workable to make that one again. Hopefully it will work out.
I knew it! Once I saw that Anduril, LOTR Sting, and Glamdring scabbards had been reissued, I figured it was only a matter of time before Strider's sword got the same treatment. I imagine there are a lot of folks after that scabbard. Thanks for letting us know, Kit. Yeah, hopefully it works out.
Valkrist wrote: As long as the small knife on the scabbard is still metal and not resin... :crazy:

*ducks for cover before Kit grabs a throwing axe*
That would just be my luck :lol:
Last edited by Ronin on Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valkrist wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:43 am As long as the small knife on the scabbard is still metal and not resin... :crazy:
No Joke, but something like that almost happened recently. On a much smaller scale.

United's factory was working on reissuing the old miniature Shards of Narsil, the one with the little statue and steel shards. The factory guys thought it would be a good idea to change all the shards and hilt part to resin and make them part of the statue. You know, so the collector would not have to keep up with all the tiny parts that could get lost. It would be better that way and cost less :?

...and kill what made the little collectible so cool in the first place. Suffice to say...it's staying metal.
KRDS

OMG... are you kidding me? No, because you said you're not. :O

This reminds me of when someone briefly thought it would be a good idea to manufacture all the sword replicas permanently affixed to their display plaques.

Well, it's whenever I hear things like this that I realize how lucky we are to have a few guys like you still left in the collecting world to keep some of the insanity at bay.

For that, and so much else, thank you.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:58 pm United's factory was working on reissuing the old miniature Shards of Narsil, the one with the little statue and steel shards.
Speaking of this Kit, are there any sculpt changes or improvements lined up for this re-issue?
I'm thinking if perhaps there's a chance to design something different and go for the whole pedestal. Something like this (but better):

shards.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I briefly toyed with enlarging the statue to match the scale of the sword, but that would nearly double the size. I have hopes that Weta will one day do something like a 1/12 scale Masters Collection version of the whole statue with real cloth, along with Aragorn holding the hilt.

United's owner really just wanted to bring the original product back, so not much will be different. The old molds are long gone, so it required a new sculpt for the statue. I made a few small fixes that bugged me about the original, but it's still 90% the same as before. Just little things like the brooch details, those cavities on the shield, and fixing the sloppy base sculpt.

The factory that had the mini grinder that made the old sword blade parts is long gone so I'm having all the pieces cast in metal instead of machined. That means the shards and break shapes can be a little more accurate on this version.
KRDS

Man I really like this collectible, it's one I looked long and hard for. Is there any chance that this one will have a accurate paint job Kit? The real set piece was a like a pink sandstone color, in the one scene that it is featured prominently in it appears greyish blue due to the lighting, but that's not the actual color of the piece. Btw if you guys did a limited run of like 100 of these in a scale that is 1:1 with your shards I would buy one in a heart beat. And actually if you doubled the size of this one to be in scale with the actual mini shards a d gave it a accurate paint job that might do really well.

TMcLim wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:18 pm Btw if you guys did a limited run of like 100 of these in a scale that is 1:1 with your shards I would buy one in a heart beat. And actually if you doubled the size of this one to be in scale with the actual mini shards a d gave it a accurate paint job that might do really well.
There is at least one 1:1 replica of this statue somewhere out there. I'm not sure if the artist (Andrew/Thranduil) was ever able to sell it off before he sadly and unexpectedly passed away. I hope whoever handled his estate didn't simply throw it out, unaware of how unique it was.
This Space for Rent

TMcLim wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:18 pm Man I really like this collectible, it's one I looked long and hard for. Is there any chance that this one will have a accurate paint job Kit? The real set piece was a like a pink sandstone color, in the one scene that it is featured prominently in it appears greyish blue due to the lighting, but that's not the actual color of the piece.
I am getting one sample made with the cool grey color of the original UC statue and one in the sand coloring of the set prop and a more accurate cloth color. I'll let the UC folks decide, but I'm sure they will want the grey color. I did the same thing at the old UC and that's what everyone picked.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:48 pm I briefly toyed with enlarging the statue to match the scale of the sword, but that would nearly double the size. I have hopes that Weta will one day do something like a 1/12 scale Masters Collection version of the whole statue with real cloth, along with Aragorn holding the hilt.

United's owner really just wanted to bring the original product back, so not much will be different. The old molds are long gone, so it required a new sculpt for the statue. I made a few small fixes that bugged me about the original, but it's still 90% the same as before. Just little things like the brooch details, those cavities on the shield, and fixing the sloppy base sculpt.
It's times like these where I wished you ran your own replica company and where to produce all the amazing things you wanted!

I know that comes with way more problems and headaches than anyone knows and absolutely takes any fun and enjoyment of it. But all the collectors would really love it!

Valkrist wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:25 pm
There is at least one 1:1 replica of this statue somewhere out there. I'm not sure if the artist (Andrew/Thranduil) was ever able to sell it off before he sadly and unexpectedly passed away. I hope whoever handled his estate didn't simply throw it out, unaware of how unique it was.
He offered it to me more than once, I just had to come and get it. I've never had that much room to display anything that big and always turned him down. Hopefully it's somewhere getting to be seen by someone who enjoys it. RIP Andrew :'(

N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:50 am It's times like these where I wished you ran your own replica company and where to produce all the amazing things you wanted!
Ha, ha. No thanks. I did my share of running product development for UC and making all those decisions, and working myself to death for several years. It just put me in the hospital and resulted in the company taking a multi million dollar insurance policy out on me.

I'll stick to the fun stuff.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 am
N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:50 am It's times like these where I wished you ran your own replica company and where to produce all the amazing things you wanted!
Ha, ha. No thanks. I did my share of running product development for UC and making all those decisions, and working myself to death for several years. It just put me in the hospital and resulted in the company taking a multi million dollar insurance policy out on me.

Oh, I don't blame you one bit! It gets stressful just producing a few pieces in my garage. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like for huge corporation.
Either way though, we're all glad your still doing what you do.

Also, since we were talking about Narsil, was the newer release revised in anyway? Was the fuller length extended like the MC Anduril will be? If so it may be an excuse to make another Shards from.

I've not seen any pictures of the newest run.

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:10 am Neither have I. Other than supplying the old silk screen art for the display, I was not involved and have not see one. Had I been I would have probably asked that they fix the fuller groove. I still have not even seen the corrected fuller on the MC Anduril yet.
That's sad news. It's things like this that scare me and that in the future all the United Cutlery items will be sent to the cheapest factory Budk can find.

I hope the MC comes out to your liking and no more adjustments or delays. Or maybe it work out in their advantage and be ready for the ROTK anniversary.

N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:02 am
Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 am

Oh, I don't blame you one bit! It gets stressful just producing a few pieces in my garage. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like for huge corporation.
Either way though, we're all glad your still doing what you do.

Also, since we were talking about Narsil, was the newer release revised in anyway? Was the fuller length extended like the MC Anduril will be? If so it may be an excuse to make another Shards from.

I've not seen any pictures of the newest run.
I was hoping for it to be revised with that extended fuller. I own one UC Narsil. I wasn't collecting at the time when Shards of Narsil was still available so I never got one. My plan was to copy your idea and just buy another UC Narsil to 'cut' up. I kind of prefer doing that anyway to having the official UC Shards since it allows you to display it more like it is in the movies. Ever since Kit said he designed the MC Anduril to have the correct fuller, I've been holding off and hoping UC would do the same for the standard Anduril and Narsil.

Hey, Kit. Assuming UC did opt to revise the standard Anduril and Narsil to have a longer fuller, would that be a relatively easy change for the factory to implement since the tooling has already been done for MC Anduril? Assuming you're happy with MC Anduril's corrected fuller of course.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”