Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Valkrist wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:24 am At this point, I almost just want UC to make the stupid thing so it disappears from polls forever. xP
I was quite surprised that it got the most votes, considering it was at the bottom on the LOTR Collectors Facebook poll. There area lot of Weta statue collectors there though, so maybe they were burned out on Sauron after buying the big Weta statue last year.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:56 am I was quite surprised that it got the most votes, considering it was at the bottom on the LOTR Collectors Facebook poll. There area lot of Weta statue collectors there though, so maybe they were burned out on Sauron after buying the big Weta statue last year.
That makes sense, because from the perspective of strictly UC replica buyers who focus mainly on weapons, having that sword makes sense in that context.

However, for a more generalized Middle-earth collector base that is also somewhat completist in outlook, like yours truly, other stuff makes more sense, like weapons for Merry and Pippin, or something for characters that have almost no other collectibles out there, like Haldir and Denethor.

For Sauron, let's count: multiple statues, multiple versions of the One Ring, the Mace, the Gauntlet, at least four versions of the Helm... it's more than enough. The sword feels redundant, at least to me.
This Space for Rent

Honestly, I'm always surprised many people even know it exists besides a deleted scene. You would think the dagger used to forge the One ring would be more sought after since it actually made it in the movie.
The.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Fellowship.of.the.Ring.2001.2160p.UHD.BluRay.H265-BOREDOR.mkv_snapshot_00.02.01_[2022.08.25_18.34.20].jpg
LOTR-FOTR-PRODUCT-WEP-FAN015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

N2darkness wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:20 pm Honestly, I'm always surprised many people even know it exists besides a deleted scene. You would think the dagger used to forge the One ring would be more sought after since it actually made it in the movie.
Well, it does appear for one second, but the scene has no connection to Sauron as it seems the intention was that it was one of many weapons the Witch-king had at his disposal. Clearly the set-dressers needed a bunch of random evil weapons to put in there, and Sauron's sword happened to make a cameo.

Thing is, images of it surfaced so long ago, both here and with Peter Lyon posing beside it, that it's had more than enough time to percolate through the collective consciousness of our community. Unfortunately, most that see it seem to start foaming at the mouth right away and wanting the silly thing, full scale and made of metal no less. Dream on, I say.
This Space for Rent

Drew did another poll on the LOTR Facebook, which is more general LOTR collectors, not just UC collectors. This time he restricted it so pollers could not add items and skew the results. As of now, here is where it stands.

27.5% - Haldir's Sword
26.1% - Sword of Sauron
15.5% - Merry and Pippin's Lorien knife
14.1% - Sword of Denethor
10.6% - Weathertop Short Swords
6.2% - Third Ringwraith sword

Compared to the UC collectors poll...
37% - Sword of Sauron
20% - Merry and Pippin's Lorien knife
16.9% - Haldir's Sword
9.7% - Sword of Denethor
9.3% - Weathertop Short Swords
7.1% - Third Ringwraith sword
KRDS

Sigh.

Looks like Sauron's sword is all but inevitable. Like I said, may as well just make the dumb thing already so people can stop asking for if and we move on to other stuff. I just hope it's not a case of it topping the polls and then it sells poorly. It would only make UC more gun-shy about other stuff. That sword have very limited appeal, as far as I'm concerned.

Kit, for the Lorien knife (which also seems inevitable, thanfully), you mentioned possibly no display? This would be a first for UC. I hope it does come with one.... please. I'd love if there was an option to display two knives on one display but I think it's highly unlikely. Will probably have to buy two and put them up separately?
This Space for Rent

Very interesting results, didn't think it would quite go this way from some of the reaction I've read from other collectors. I voted for the Weathertop blades and the 3rd Ringwarith would have been my 2nd.

I'd love to see the Lorien daggers done as well as Haldir's sword as it is reminiscent of the other elven designs but slightly different. Always elegant in form and really stands out from the other cultures in Middle-Earth.
Haldir.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Valkrist wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:04 am Kit, for the Lorien knife (which also seems inevitable, thanfully), you mentioned possibly no display? This would be a first for UC. I hope it does come with one.... please. I'd love if there was an option to display two knives on one display but I think it's highly unlikely. Will probably have to buy two and put them up separately?
That would be my preference, but that's more because I think it should have the scabbard. After all, we see it more than the knife in the films. UC won't want to do both. They will likely just want the display, as they did with the Boromir dagger. If they want the display, I plan on pushing to get the L screw holes pre-drilled in the back so it can work with one or two knives crossed.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:24 am If they want the display, I plan on pushing to get the L screw holes pre-drilled in the back so it can work with one or two knives crossed.
That would be awesome, so please push hard. I would love the scabbard, but as you say, they won't go for it. It would be a space-saver to display two knives on one plaque, so pre-drilled holes in the back is genius. I don't mind having an extra plaque sitting in a box if this feature is implemented.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:04 am Sigh.

Looks like Sauron's sword is all but inevitable. Like I said, may as well just make the dumb thing already so people can stop asking for if and we move on to other stuff. I just hope it's not a case of it topping the polls and then it sells poorly. It would only make UC more gun-shy about other stuff. That sword have very limited appeal, as far as I'm concerned.

Kit, for the Lorien knife (which also seems inevitable, thanfully), you mentioned possibly no display? This would be a first for UC. I hope it does come with one.... please. I'd love if there was an option to display two knives on one display but I think it's highly unlikely. Will probably have to buy two and put them up separately?
Seriously. Just make Sauron's sword so we can move on from it haha. Honestly, I would want it too eventually but there's SOOOOO many other props I want before it.

I've more or less retired from buying United replicas, but I keep an eye on things and I gotta say the Lorien daggers would most certainly tempt me. The Weathertop collections, too. Haldir's sword would be a maybe.

But Sauron's Sword? Lordy, that might be the one item I would have absolute zero interest in. I cannot fathom how any Tolkien fan would have much interest in it, and I don't understand why a casual collector would either...It looks okay, but it has no significance and isn't really that different from other Mordor pieces. Shame.

GuardianWolf wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:01 am
But Sauron's Sword? Lordy, that might be the one item I would have absolute zero interest in. I cannot fathom how any Tolkien fan would have much interest in it, and I don't understand why a casual collector would either...It looks okay, but it has no significance and isn't really that different from other Mordor pieces. Shame.
Yeah, I don't get it either.

It's like when some folks fawn over Arwen's unused gear from the cut Helm's Deep scenes. I mean, I can certainly appreciate their artistic beauty and value, but cannot fathom why you would want them in a collection. They don't represent anything that ever happened, be it book or film, and the same goes for Sauron's sword.

I could be very wrong, but I think the results of that poll might backfire for UC as I think at lot of people vote for the Sauron sword that won't necessarily buy it when the time comes. It's one thing to push a button online in the moment of thinking "Yeah, that looks sweet!", to then later plunking down $500+ for that monstrosity.
This Space for Rent

That's looking really nice! :thumbs_up

Always interesting to see what's in the background just lying around. Looks like at least two Boromir swords with identical scabbards? Pity we'll never see those, unless there's a surprise in the works? In the second photo, you can also see something with a rather large pommel on the right, and almost no crosspiece. Of course, there's no telling if these are actual LOTR items or something else.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:56 am That's looking really nice! :thumbs_up

Always interesting to see what's in the background just lying around. Looks like at least two Boromir swords with identical scabbards? Pity we'll never see those, unless there's a surprise in the works? In the second photo, you can also something with a rather large pommel on the right, and almost no crosspiece. Of course, there's no telling if these are actual LOTR items or something else.
The Boromir dagger looks great! Can't wait to order. Someone did send me these yesterday and also asked why sometimes the grinding marks go horizontal or vertical on the blade, my only guess was based on how they were ground, but is there ever any post sanding done on these by hand? This dagger looks to have had some.

I'm pretty sure those 2 other swords are from their Honsu line that come with scabbards.
honsu1.jpg
honsu2.jpg
honsu3.jpg

Valkrist wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:42 am Ah, thanks for clarifying... and simultanepusly dashing my hopes Kit was holding out on us to reveal a secret Boromir scabbard.

Man, if that sword had a twisted crosspiece, it would almost look like a Boromir sword ripoff. Same goes for the other one - it looks a lot like the generic Rohirrim Soldier's sword, but then those are very standard Viking anesthetics also.
Daily check just waiting for new items available!!!! we love surprises....

Always interesting to see what's in the background just lying around. Looks like at least two Boromir swords with identical scabbards? Pity we'll never see those, unless there's a surprise in the works? In the second photo, you can also see something with a rather large pommel on the right, and almost no crosspiece. Of course, there's no telling if these are actual LOTR items or something else.
The only LOTR blades on that table are an MC Anduril and Isildur sword. If only those photos were a bit to the left there would have been something interesting...
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:08 am Someone did send me these yesterday and also asked why sometimes the grinding marks go horizontal or vertical on the blade, my only guess was based on how they were ground, but is there ever any post sanding done on these by hand? This dagger looks to have had some.
Hand held polishing on a belt polisher, but never polished by hand.

It's a high polish on the Boromir blade, almost mirror, so there are not really any grind marks visible
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:44 pm

The only LOTR blades on that table are an MC Anduril and Isildur sword. If only those photos were a bit to the left there would have been something interesting...
Oooooh. Can you at least hint if it's a bladed prop or not? :P

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:49 pm
Hand held polishing on a belt polisher, but never polished by hand.

It's a high polish on the Boromir blade, almost mirror, so there are not really any grind marks visible
Are those the surface conditioning scotchbrite belts? Or more of the traditional cotton buffs with a polishing compound?
I'm guessing not all pieces receive this post finish process? I noticed a definite line on the fuller of my Faramir's sword where it was started and stopped and caused a line that can be seen in certain light. Or maybe it just wasn't blended in all the way down.

N2darkness wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:55 pm Are those the surface conditioning scotchbrite belts? Or more of the traditional cotton buffs with a polishing compound?
Most of the LOTR blades have a satin finish, which is done with a series of coarse to fine scotchbrite type belts or wheels. For a mirror finish like this one they add additional finishing with buffs/compound.
N2darkness wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:55 pm I'm guessing not all pieces receive this post finish process? I noticed a definite line on the fuller of my Faramir's sword where it was started and stopped and caused a line that can be seen in certain light. Or maybe it just wasn't blended in all the way down.
There will be some variance depending on the person doing the satin polishing. I did not see any stop/start areas in the two Faramir swords I got or the ones I inspected, but it does happen.

Overall, the production Faramir blade finish was not as fine as what I would have liked, but this is a new factory and they are still learning.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:19 pm
There will be some variance depending on the person doing the satin polishing. I did not see any stop/start areas in the two Faramir swords I got or the ones I inspected, but it does happen.

Overall, the production Faramir blade finish was not as fine as what I would have liked, but this is a new factory and they are still learning.
[/quote]

Ah, that makes more sense. The fuller on mine also looks more square and milled instead of ground at the top near the hilt. Overall I think they did a good job and pleased with the piece.
faramir1.jpg
faramir2.jpg

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:20 am
pfrith87 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:32 am One minor quibble - there’s supposed to be a SN here, right?
Yes, there is!
Well lucky me, looks like I got #1!

In all seriousness though, I don’t suppose there’s any reasonable way to determine what the SN should be? Not a big deal since I plan on holding onto it, but it may make a difference down the line if ever I were to part with it.

PS. If anyone is holding out for the Gondorian helm, it’s currently %15 off at Budk as a daily deal.

pfrith87 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:13 pm In all seriousness though, I don’t suppose there’s any reasonable way to determine what the SN should be? Not a big deal since I plan on holding onto it, but it may make a difference down the line if ever I were to part with it.
I have no idea how they are going to fix that issue. I hope they are not all missing the serial number, but I have seen three now with no numbers. All I can tell you is the last run ended at 2500, so you have a number above that!
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:30 am
pfrith87 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:13 pm In all seriousness though, I don’t suppose there’s any reasonable way to determine what the SN should be? Not a big deal since I plan on holding onto it, but it may make a difference down the line if ever I were to part with it.
I have no idea how they are going to fix that issue. I hope they are not all missing the serial number, but I have seen three now with no numbers. All I can tell you is the last run ended at 2500, so you have a number above that!
We got 20 I believe in and all 20 said "one of" not serialized...
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

I've noticed there are now 2 different versions of the Gondorian Warrior shield with different banners.

https://www.budk.com/The-Lord-of-the-Ri ... ield-26199

UC2940
uc2940.jpg
and this one UC3632

https://www.budk.com/LOTR-Second-Age-Wa ... ndor-51714
UC3632.jpg
I know they have done something similar with the Sauron mace, but is this something that will continue as a thing moving forward with more banners? Rereleasing an existing item with a new banner? Great for new customers, but not so much for older collectors who maybe interested in just the banner.

Valkrist wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:40 am Someone fell asleep at the number stamping machine? There's some poor factory worker out there right now with a couple of Elf Helm edition numbers permanently stamped on his forehead. :crazy:
Probably. They were supposed to be hand numbered, as they have done in the past. There were also several paint steps missing on the production I saw. I'm sure more than a few heads rolled over this.
KRDS

Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 am My memory is fading on this stuff too, but as I recall, the first UC replica was based on a prop we were loaned during filming. I think that was a stunt prop, with the runes placed as on the UC original. We also had prop photos of the hero prop that had the runes reversed. It was decided to make the MC version as much like hero prop as possible. Or maybe the original had them reversed, and the prop photos did not. I can't remember now, but I was not thrilled with the idea since I knew how they were intended to read.

I assume Weta did their Master Swordsmith version this way to make it prop accurate too, assuming they actually made it just like the photos on their website.

Hi Kit, I can confirm that the MC Glamdring is the only one with the error (ie runes reversed/on the wrong side). The regular UC glamdring has the runes lined up the same way as the MSSC Glamdring so the regular is technically more accurate to both the hero props and the MSSC sword. I’ve just checked my MSSC Glamdring and the runes are not lined up the same as the pictures Weta previously posted. Not sure what’s going on there when those photos were released n

So ironically the cheaper regular glamdring is actually hero prop accurate after all!!!

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:43 am
Valkrist wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:40 am Someone fell asleep at the number stamping machine? There's some poor factory worker out there right now with a couple of Elf Helm edition numbers permanently stamped on his forehead. :crazy:
Probably. They were supposed to be hand numbered, as they have done in the past. There were also several paint steps missing on the production I saw. I'm sure more than a few heads rolled over this.
Hello Kit,

I received one of the reissues without the numbering, and I was wondering if you could elaborate at all about what the missing paint steps were that you mentioned.

Cirdan23 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:56 am I received one of the reissues without the numbering, and I was wondering if you could elaborate at all about what the missing paint steps were that you mentioned.
All the gold on the vines should have had a semi transparent wash of brown over it, a brown wash filling the crevices all around the raised vines, and fine brown splatter paint effects. All of that contributes to the aged, gritty, and worn look of the helms, making the gold look like it had been worn off in places to match the prop. A lot of time was spent getting that look right, but none of the photos I saw from production seemed to have any of it. The gold on the production looked bright, hard edged, was even spilling out of the vines in places. I was not involved in the inspection, so I don't know how much of that first run was affected, but I assume most of it since they halted shipping.

Here are a few close up photo of the master for reference.

http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Ho ... _1343a.jpg
http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Ho ... _1339a.jpg
http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Ho ... _1334a.jpg
KRDS

Thank you for the information. I wasn't able to access the images that you posted here for some reason (404 error), but I went back and looked at what you posted in the "Your Collection" thread, and I believe that I know what you're talking about.
I did notice the lack of spatter when I first unpacked it, and the helm that I received does appear to exhibit all of the characteristics that you described of having those steps missed.
I may just try and apply some washes and weathering to try and replicate the effects myself.
Thanks again.

Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Aragorn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 am Hi Kit, I can confirm that the MC Glamdring is the only one with the error (ie runes reversed/on the wrong side).
Aragorn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 am So ironically the cheaper regular glamdring is actually hero prop accurate after all!!!
Since Weta made hero props both ways, neither one is really an error. I'm sure Peter has the the original 1:1 scale drawing in his shop somewhere showing was was intended for LOTR. They chose the rune arrangement that matched UC's first replica for The Hobbit film props, so I think that was probably the intended layout. That's the one I think is more correct anyway.
Aragorn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 am I’ve just checked my MSSC Glamdring and the runes are not lined up the same as the pictures Weta previously posted. Not sure what’s going on there when those photos were released
I remember some people on the old Weta forum pointed out that the rune positions were swapped compared to UC's replica and the movie photos, so they maybe they changed it when the swords were actually made. Or maybe they intended to make it the way it was in the photos and someone goofed when etching the runes on your sword.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”