Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:26 pm
All the gold on the vines should have had a semi transparent wash of brown over it, a brown wash filling the crevices all around the raised vines, and fine brown splatter paint effects. All of that contributes to the aged, gritty, and worn look of the helms, making the gold look like it had been worn off in places to match the prop. A lot of time was spent getting that look right, but none of the photos I saw from production seemed to have any of it. The gold on the production looked bright, hard edged, was even spilling out of the vines in places. I was not involved in the inspection, so I don't know how much of that first run was affected, but I assume most of it since they halted shipping.

Here are a few close up photo of the master for reference.
Was the paint master done by you Kit? Or is done at the factory and sent to you for final approval?

You mentioned a lot of work went into achieving the specific look, was it trying different paints and techniques or just lots of back and forth with the factory?

N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 am Was the paint master done by you Kit? Or is done at the factory and sent to you for final approval?
The original was done by me. I'm pretty sure the one in the photos I posted earlier are of the factory copy that I approved. Here is a shot side-by-side. The one on the left is what I painted, factory on right. They got really close

N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 am You mentioned a lot of work went into achieving the specific look, was it trying different paints and techniques or just lots of back and forth with the factory?
Endless back and forth with the factory. I always start by supplying them with hi-res prop photos and PMS colors. If they miss the mark I move on to paint swatches or painted sample sections to show how to achieve the effects. In some cases I have to paint up a whole sample casting. In this case I think I only painted one side for them.

The base helm colors were very tricky for them to get right. That took the longest, but the back and forth for the weathering seemed endless too. They worked about 6 months on the carving and paint, then I had them scrap the whole thing and start over. At one point I debated just having them do the base coat colors only, with no gold vines coloring or weathering, like the plain helms from those first Elven army scenes with Elrond. The colors are all over the place on the various miniatures that Weta made, but they all had the gold vines, so I figure people would complain if UC 's did not have them too. In the end I kept pressing to get something that looked closer to the hero prop I had, which was like the ones with the gold vines in the FOTR pickup shots.
KRDS

Just to give you an idea of the stages these replicas go through, here is a factory progress graphic I made for UC earlier this year, before the final was approved. The ones on the right are after I had them start over and sent a paint sample.

They are typically not this frustrating, but this one was for some reason. And then they blew it in production, but hopefully that will be corrected.

KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:39 am
The original was done by me. I'm pretty sure the one in the photos I posted earlier are of the factory copy that I approved.
N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 am You mentioned a lot of work went into achieving the specific look, was it trying different paints and techniques or just lots of back and forth with the factory?
Endless back and forth with the factory. I always start by supplying them with hi-res prop photos and PMS colors. If they miss the mark I move on to paint swatches or painted sample sections to show how to achieve the effects. In some cases I have to paint up a whole sample casting. In this case I think I only painted one side for them.

The base helm colors were very tricky for them to get right. That took the longest, but the back and forth for the weathering seemed endless too. They worked about 6 months on the carving and paint, then I had them scrap the whole thing and start over. At one point I debated just having them do the base coat colors only, with no gold vines coloring or weathering, like the plain helms from those first Elven army scenes with Elrond. The colors are all over the place on the various miniatures that Weta made, but they all had the gold vines, so I figure people would complain if UC 's did not have them too. In the end I kept pressing to get something that looked closer to the hero prop I had, which was like the ones with the gold vines in the FOTR pickup shots.
They definitely got extremely close on the final compared to your master.

When you have to do large size pieces like this one do you have a large HVLP setup at home, or just build up layers with an airbrush?

I'm sure the factory has anything and everything at their disposal to do this on a large scale production level. It just has to be conveyed to the right people or in-line QC to get things consistent.

I'm sure it sucks to spend months or years working on something, finally give the final approval and have things not turn out in production like they planned. But I'm sure there is only so much you guys can do with the factory on the other side of the world. And for the most part things are done as requested, but frustrating none the less.

N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:56 am When you have to do large size pieces like this one do you have a large HVLP setup at home, or just build up layers with an airbrush?
No HVLP setup. Just use a couple of very old airbrushes. I used to use them all the time but these days I only get to fire them up a few times a year. I'm usually just using them to paint or touching up 3D printed models that need to be photographed for marketing.
N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:56 am I'm sure it sucks to spend months or years working on something, finally give the final approval and have things not turn out in production like they planned.
I'm used to it. It's just disappointing in this case, because I know they could have nailed it had the complete paint procedure been followed.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:50 pm
No HVLP setup. Just use a couple of very old airbrushes. I used to use them all the time but these days I only get to fire them up a few times a year. I'm usually just using them to paint or touching up 3D printed models that need to be photographed for marketing.
Thought that maybe the case.

Are you doing your own modeling and printing at home as well? or outsourcing and finishing at home?

I've been very interested in getting a printer lately as the technology seems to be advancing (especially in FDM print speeds) and SLA print resolutions.

Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:05 am
Aragorn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 am Hi Kit, I can confirm that the MC Glamdring is the only one with the error (ie runes reversed/on the wrong side).
Aragorn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 am So ironically the cheaper regular glamdring is actually hero prop accurate after all!!!
Since Weta made hero props both ways, neither one is really an error. I'm sure Peter has the the original 1:1 scale drawing in his shop somewhere showing was was intended for LOTR. They chose the rune arrangement that matched UC's first replica for The Hobbit film props, so I think that was probably the intended layout. That's the one I think is more correct anyway.
Aragorn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 am I’ve just checked my MSSC Glamdring and the runes are not lined up the same as the pictures Weta previously posted. Not sure what’s going on there when those photos were released
I remember some people on the old Weta forum pointed out that the rune positions were swapped compared to UC's replica and the movie photos, so they maybe they changed it when the swords were actually made. Or maybe they intended to make it the way it was in the photos and someone goofed when etching the runes on your sword.
This is the clearest photo I was able to find of the hero sword caught on camera. Based on this photo as well as the MSSC glamdrings I think it’s safe to say this is the correct way for the runes to be ordered.

I therefore think the order of the runes on the museum collection glamdring is inaccurate/wrong/does not make sense. The UC team should have listened to you!!

Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Aragorn wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:30 pm This is the clearest photo I was able to find of the hero sword caught on camera.
That's just one hero sword. There were several, and the rune positions were different depending on the prop. That's why I said neither replica is wrong, since both versions appear in the films. It just depends on which one they handed to Ian McKellen the day of filming.

For example, here are hero props from FOTR and TTT with the runes swapped.

The very first Weta prop photos I was sent of Glamdring, way back 23 or 24 years ago, had the runes this way. There is also the possibility that some of these props may have had the runes arranged one way on one side, and swapped on the other. If I ever get the chance to do another Glamdring with this type of weathering, that's exactly how I would do the runes, making it film accurate depending on which side you look at.
KRDS

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I'm not on Facebook so apologies if this has been talked about already. I'm just seeing it for the first time.

https://www.purearts.com/collections/th ... ve-edition

As nice as the base is, it's total overkill for the piece. I'm just curious how the crown compares to the Noble Collection one. The description states that it's a "movie-perfect metal replica" but I think we've all learned to take such claims with a moon-sized grain of salt.

(I realize this isn't a UC product but since this thread has become the de facto discussion thread, I hope no one minds me posting it here :) .)

Ronin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:23 am I'm just curious how the crown compares to the Noble Collection one. The description states that it's a "movie-perfect metal replica" but I think we've all learned to take such claims with a moon-sized grain of salt.
I am happy to see that Minas Tirith finally got some flood lights to illuminate the city from below :)

Some parts of the crown look more accurate than Noble's version, and some do not. They got the hammer marks on the back side of the feathers in the crests, which Noble missed.

I'm not crazy about the shiny, highly polished look this has. It could be the bad lighting of the photography, but this looks like chrome plating or shiny nickel plating. The feather parts of the castings were not polished very well before plating either, especially on the feathers at the bottom of this photo.

The real crown had a tarnished, aged silver look. Dull metal, not shiny. This replica really needed an antique silver or antique nickel plating process to look correct.

KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:43 am
Valkrist wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:40 am Someone fell asleep at the number stamping machine? There's some poor factory worker out there right now with a couple of Elf Helm edition numbers permanently stamped on his forehead. :crazy:
Probably. They were supposed to be hand numbered, as they have done in the past. There were also several paint steps missing on the production I saw. I'm sure more than a few heads rolled over this.
We had 5 in our batch of 20 with really bad paint jobs...
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:44 am
Ronin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:23 am I'm just curious how the crown compares to the Noble Collection one. The description states that it's a "movie-perfect metal replica" but I think we've all learned to take such claims with a moon-sized grain of salt.
I am happy to see that Minas Tirith finally got some flood lights to illuminate the city from below :)

Some parts of the crown look more accurate than Noble's version, and some do not. They got the hammer marks on the back side of the feathers in the crests, which Noble missed.

I'm not crazy about the shiny, highly polished look this has. It could be the bad lighting of the photography, but this looks like chrome plating or shiny nickel plating. The feather parts of the castings were not polished very well before plating either, especially on the feathers at the bottom of this photo.

The real crown had a tarnished, aged silver look. Dull metal, not shiny. This replica really needed an antique silver or antique nickel plating process to look correct.

Yeah I guess there's quite the nightlife going on there now haha.

I noticed the hammer marks right away and that alone puts it over the NC crown for me. The finish has yet to be determined but I imagine it could be weathered up if need be. The only thing I'm not liking is the base. These bases are nice on their own but they take away from the crown and helms they've produced. I'd rather they made basic stands plus it would cut the price in half. If this crown was in the $300-$400 range, it would be an instant buy for me.

Ronin wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:43 pm I noticed the hammer marks right away and that alone puts it over the NC crown for me.
I just wish they had done the reverse on the front too. That's part of the look of those feathers, and it's missing on both replicas. Both are also missing the smaller gauge twisted wire in the wire rope edging. I'm not seeing the leather inside the head band either. The tree on the front crest of the Noble version is a separate part, but it looks like it's all one-piece with the crest on this version, so that's a negative too.

Overall, it just seems to be a missed opportunity to make a more accurate version, but maybe they did not have access to the hi-res prop crown images. I still have hopes that UC will do their replica one day, with my original display stand idea using Gilmi's crown pillow.

KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:06 am
Ronin wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:43 pm I noticed the hammer marks right away and that alone puts it over the NC crown for me.
I just wish they had done the reverse on the front too. That's part of the look of those feathers, and it's missing on both replicas. Both are also missing the smaller gauge twisted wire in the wire rope edging. I'm not seeing the leather inside the head band either. The tree on the front crest of the Noble version is a separate part, but it looks like it's all one-piece with the crest on this version, so that's a negative too.

Overall, it just seems to be a missed opportunity to make a more accurate version, but maybe they did not have access to the hi-res prop crown images. I still have hopes that UC will do their replica one day, with my original display stand idea using Gilmi's crown pillow.

Kit, having UC make your version would be ideal of course. With the NC version barely ever in stock and the PureArts limited AND highly priced, and both not as accurate as they should be, I could easily see UC making one in the future. There's always going to be more collectors coming along.

I don't know if PureArts didn't have access or did and still couldn't achieve a highly accurate replica. It's amazing how intricate that prop is considering the little, though significant, screen time it has. The crew knew it would be something worth putting a lot of detail into. But that's the story with all of the LOTR props.

Oh, and that pillow and stand you designed is perfect for the piece. It's so much more fitting. Like if I walked into Aragorn's royal quarters, that's what I'd see it kept on.

Edit: The tree on the PureArts does look rather unsightly now that you mention it. It looks like it was soldered on. It's weird, in some pictures it looks like a separate piece from the crest and in others it looks like it's part of it. It's like we're looking at two different prototypes.

Ronin wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:36 pm Edit: The tree on the PureArts does look rather unsightly now that you mention it. It looks like it was soldered on. It's weird, in some pictures it looks like a separate piece from the crest and in others it looks like it's part of it. It's like we're looking at two different prototypes.
It looks like the tree is one piece with the feather crest in all the photos to me. Those cast zinc parts have a rough surface finish right out of the mold, so they require some polishing before plating. All the high surfaces of the tree are polished, but the recesses all around the tree are not, which is a telltale that it's all one piece. Polishing wheels don't get into the deep areas very well.

Every part that is made separate requires a separate mold cavity, plus extra labor to polish, plate, and assemble, so I don't blame them for cutting that corner. I know roughly what the tooling and that display cost to make, so some concessions probably had to be made to make that $750 price point.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:06 am

Wow! That display is stunning!
I like Noble version but this is on another level.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

EagleFriend wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:46 am Wow! That display is stunning!
If UC had actually gone forward with their version of the crown back in the day, I am not sure the quality would have been any better than what Noble made. The display would have been better IMO, but even looking at that today, I think it was probably too large for the crown.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:50 am
EagleFriend wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:46 am Wow! That display is stunning!
If UC had actually gone forward with their version of the crown back in the day, I am not sure the quality would have been any better than what Noble made. The display would have been better IMO, but even looking at that today, I think it was probably too large for the crown.
:jaw:
Thanks for the image!
Maybe you're right, maybe the display is too large but I love it.
Like Ronin wrote above in his post, it looks like how the crown would be displayed in Aragorn's royal quarters.
And that pillow man...it adds fullness to the replica, it's movie accurate and just fits perfectly.

If UC ever decides to make it I would get it in a heartbeat.
Maybe UC could also (highly hypothetically I know :) ) do Theoden's crown? Maybe with the same stand but in Rohan style, red pillow etc...Were there any thoughts about this in UC in the past?

It seems, at least to me, that the interest and demand for LOTR replicas is still strong and that the LOTR movies are still very relevant and popular. There are many youtube reaction/first time watching videos of young people watching LOTR movies and being amazed at how good they are, and some of them becoming new hardcore fans.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:19 am
Ronin wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:36 pm Edit: The tree on the PureArts does look rather unsightly now that you mention it. It looks like it was soldered on. It's weird, in some pictures it looks like a separate piece from the crest and in others it looks like it's part of it. It's like we're looking at two different prototypes.
It looks like the tree is one piece with the feather crest in all the photos to me. Those cast zinc parts have a rough surface finish right out of the mold, so they require some polishing before plating. All the high surfaces of the tree are polished, but the recesses all around the tree are not, which is a telltale that it's all one piece. Polishing wheels don't get into the deep areas very well.

Every part that is made separate requires a separate mold cavity, plus extra labor to polish, plate, and assemble, so I don't blame them for cutting that corner. I know roughly what the tooling and that display cost to make, so some concessions probably had to be made to make that $750 price point.
I was looking at this picture specifically. It looks like the branches are casting a shadow though I might be mistaken.

TMcLim wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:42 am I wish PureArts would scrap these elaborate bases and just do something simple. The base shouldn't be competing for attention with the object it's meant to display and it adds too much to the price. The crown is nice but not 700$ nice
Exactly! It takes away attention and adds unnecessary cost to the piece. If this were in the $300-$400 range, I think I'd go for it and find a way to add the leather band.

Still, I wouldn't count out UC making one day. Sure, they're probably not interested now but in the past few years, I've learned never say never when it comes to certain prop replicas being made.
N2darkness wrote: I saw this posted on the UC website, but could not find it on BudK yet.

The battle forged Herugrim UC3624, The new plaque is pretty cool as well. Will be curious to see how the production pieces end up.

https://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDe ... 624&cat=LR
UC3624.jpg
That's awesome. I'd definitely be in for one but I'm curious to see if the pommel loses much detail in the lost wax cast. It shouldn't right?

Ronin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:01 am That's awesome. I'd definitely be in for one but I'm curious to see if the pommel loses much detail in the lost wax cast. It shouldn't right?
That depends on the quality of the lost wax casting and the finishing/polishing. I posted some photos of a sample with lost wax brass castings here. The casting are rougher looking that the hero prop castings, but they still look pretty good.
viewtopic.php?f=455&t=5269&start=700

That's my finishing and polishing, so the actual production probably won't look quite the same. The good thing about solid brass is that you can age or polish it as much as you like. 20 minutes with a scotch-brite pad works wonders.

There are photos of the factory Battle Worn proto next to the old UC replica here. I think you can see the differences in the detailing in those.
viewtopic.php?f=455&t=5269&start=800
KRDS

The Uruk-hai scimitar rerelease is now out.

I noticed that BudK has updated their photos of what looks like a production piece and the finish is different from what Kit originally showed as well as what is on the UC website.
A45-UC1309.jpg
Here is the UC website photo
UC1309_1.jpg
Was curious if anyone has purchased one and hearing their opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:49 am I noticed that BudK has updated their photos of what looks like a production piece and the finish is different from what Kit originally showed as well as what is on the UC website.
I saw one last Tuesday. It's made in the same factory that made the original, but it does have a very different bade finish than the original and the sample I was sent to approve. Not bad, just different. The blade is coated in oil, so it looks shiny in theses photos, but you can see the difference. It's more like black iron than the rusty iron look of the original. I think the UC folks liked it better, but I like the original look.

The fixtures on the display were a bit also rough. They were on the original too, but I had hoped they would have improved.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:24 am
I saw one last Tuesday. It's made in the same factory that made the original, but it does have a very different bade finish than the original and the sample I was sent to approve. Not bad, just different. The blade is coated in oil, so it looks shiny in theses photos, but you can see the difference. It's more like black iron than the rusty iron look of the original. I think the UC folks liked it better, but I like the original look.
With all these subtle changes from the approved sample to the final production piece it has really made me wait and see how things turn out before pre-ordering anymore. I'm excited about the upcoming Rohan ax and have it on order, but also a little afraid to see how things may have changed.

I know you're not a UC employee or product manager, but hired for product design and help. But very curious how these these change after the final approval is done. Is it a case where the factory takes it upon itself to make these changes after the fact for a more feasible way to mass produce, or is someone at UC that makes these calls to okay changes?

I know that there are compromises when trying to do large production runs and keeping things within budget, but when changes alter the look of the prop (surface finish, grind lines and details, color, etc) or even previous iterations on the exact same thing it's a bit disheartening. I also chalk it up to a bit of how the world works today unfortunately.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:35 am Is it a case where the factory takes it upon itself to make these changes after the fact for a more feasible way to mass produce, or is someone at UC that makes these calls to okay changes?
No one at UC made or authorized that change. For whatever reason, the factory did it on their own, or whoever they subcontracted to do the etching and blade finish. I should also say that I don't even know if that's what the whole production looks like. It's just the few I saw.
N2darkness wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:35 am I also chalk it up to a bit of how the world works today unfortunately.
Same here. It has always been difficult getting consistency with all the factories that I or my clients have worked with over the years, but these past few years have been the worst. There are only about three factories out there that I trust to be fairly consistent with following the production procedures, out of a few dozen. UC has two of them, but this sword was not made by either of those.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:02 am That lools really good, but it really feels like the pole is about a foot shorter than it should be. Such a shame they couldn't have made it longer, but shipping is expensive enough as it is. :'(
The length is only around 7" shorter than the prop. I scaled the whole thing down, so it is all proportional.

I shot that photo on my iphone last week. It may look small because Drew is around 6'2" or 6'3" tall, but the blade point was almost touching the ceiling!
KRDS

So, kinda change in subject, but was wondering are there any updates on the Windlass/Gimli Helmet Editon size completion. I was always told it was in the works, and after Isildur's and Elendil's helms returing it seemed at the time, soon, that we'd see Gimli's helm return/completed. But now it kinda seems like a dead subject.

I have the one that I got for free that was damaged that required some reconstruction however it was just the helm and nothing else, and I'm not paying almost $80 for a generic LOTR stand from BUDK (tax,shipping, insurance, etc.) So I figured I'd just hold out for the completion of the run and get one NIB.

Mansion Props has 3 throwing axes available that look pretty cool. Does UC still plan to do any axes? (Throwing or otherwise.) Thanks in advance.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:54 am UC wanted to complete the Gimli helm run, and the tooling to make it is still usable, but the cost to make the helm now is astronomical. I don't think they are going forward with it now.

The two small Gimli axes are going to be made at some point, but I'm not sure when.
Bummer. I just missed an auction for a complete helm for $250. At that price I kinda question the legitimacy of the listing/sale. Appreciate the update Kit thank you.

Was checking and seems like 2024 may be a very busy year for UC!

rereleases that should ship this year

Strider's knife
Strider's scabbard
Gandalf the White staff

New items that may ship this year

Rohan ax
Boromir's dagger
MC Anduril???
Battle forged Herugrim
Depends on how quick changes are made possibly - Aeglos

I am curious to know what things from the polls UC had made it into "development" or even further into "production".
Seems like increasing prices of everything may keep some things delayed or "on hold" permanently.
But also nice to know even with the way things are the LOTR line is still popular and continuing.

Strider's knife, scabbard, and the Boromir dagger are definitely all coming. Hopefully shipping around Spring. I think the G staff is in production now. MC Anduril has been in production for a while, but that is a lengthy process. Hopefully those will be in before the end of Summer. No timeline for Aeglos yet, but it should be available later this year.

No idea on a timeline for the Rohan replicas made in India. I'm not even going to make a guess.
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:06 am I am curious to know what things from the polls UC had made it into "development" or even further into "production".
Seems like increasing prices of everything may keep some things delayed or "on hold" permanently.
But also nice to know even with the way things are the LOTR line is still popular and continuing.
I think I summarized the poll results here a few months ago, but top three were the sword of Sauron, Haldir's sword, and the Merry/Pippin Noldorin knife. For the non-steel replicas, the Legolas Lothlorien bow was at the top. That does not mean those will all be made, and if the US economy stays in the toilet some will not, but all are in development. Just have to keep fingers crossed.

There are also several other items in the works. Some are reissues. Some are improved versions of older items, like the 20th Anniversary blue-bladed Sting, which has morphed into completely retooling the old Sting.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:23 pm
I think I summarized the poll results here a few months ago, but top three were the sword of Sauron, Haldir's sword, and the Merry/Pippin Noldorin knife. For the non-steel replicas, the Legolas Mirkwood bow was at the top. That does not mean those will all be made, and if the US economy stays in the toilet some will not, but all are in development. Just have to keep fingers crossed.

There are also several other items in the works. Some are reissues. Some are improved versions of older items, like the 20th Anniversary blue-bladed Sting, which has morphed into completely retooling the old Sting.
I remember the poll results, but more of what was going to happen with them.

We hear "in development" but I'm sure that can mean all sorts of things. From drawing up plans to see if something is actually viable to produce and even making a prototype, to just talking about it and nothing ever going forward.

I'm always grateful for any and all information we get, be it small or potential in nature. Always looking for newer pieces to be made.

And was it the Mirkwood bow that was more popular than the Lothlorien bow?

N2darkness wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:30 am We hear "in development" but I'm sure that can mean all sorts of things. From drawing up plans to see if something is actually viable to produce and even making a prototype, to just talking about it and nothing ever going forward.
I don't know about anyone else, but when I say in development, I mean everything past just talking about it. When a client asks me to proceed with a project and I start work on it, it's in development.
N2darkness wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:30 am And was it the Mirkwood bow that was more popular than the Lothlorien bow?
Sorry, my bad. The Mirkwood bow is the one I wanted to make next. The Lothlorien bow is the one pollsters wanted and UC green lit. It's off to a slow start because they want to make it in two pieces to keep the shipping costs down. That's taking some experimenting, and I'm not sure it's even going to work, but at least it going forward. Unfortunately, the quiver will not be included.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:07 am Sorry, my bad. The Mirkwood bow is the one I wanted to make next. The Lothlorien bow is the one pollsters wanted and UC green lit. It's off to a slow start because they want to make it in two pieces to keep the shipping costs down. That's taking some experimenting, and I'm not sure it's even going to work, but at least it going forward. Unfortunately, the quiver will not be included.
Wow, that's a difficult challenge! I know it's a large piece almost 70 inches tall. But there really isn't a very good place to put a seam, no handle to separate the 2 halves. All things you are all very well aware of, and probably facing the same issue on the Gil-Galad shield.

I can just imagine it looking like the light-up Gandalf staff from the Hobbit and a visible battery access panel. Could be a hard sell to customers and collectors that way.
Super bummer about the quiver though! :'(
I loved your idea of the set and the display. Even at a premium collectors set and price of $1000 I'm sure it would sell as it is a very sought after piece nowadays. But probably not in the numbers UC wants to see unfortunately.

N2darkness wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:25 am Wow, that's a difficult challenge! I know it's a large piece almost 70 inches tall. But there really isn't a very good place to put a seam, no handle to separate the 2 halves. All things you are all very well aware of, and probably facing the same issue on the Gil-Galad shield.
There is actually a natural breaking line in the raised design that crosses around 70% of middle of the grip area, but it does require a slight mod to the design on the underside to hide a visible seam there. Still, these are rubber molds and I don't have to tell you that casting shape deviations happen as the molds get used repeatedly. If they can't make the two halves of the bow sleeve together without a gap showing, I really don't want to do it that way.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:48 am There is actually a natural breaking line in the raised design that crosses around 70% of middle of the grip area, but it does require a slight mod to the design on the underside to hide a visible seam there. Still, these are rubber molds and I don't have to tell you that casting shape deviations happen as the molds get used repeatedly. If they can't make the two halves of the bow sleeve together without a gap showing, I really don't want to do it that way.
Must be in this area? But as you said it would be difficult to keep consistent over the run. Has there ever been a polyresin piece that needs to be assembled by the end user where 2 pieces need to connect like this? I can't think of one.
img2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

N2darkness wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:03 am Has there ever been a polyresin piece that needs to be assembled by the end user where 2 pieces need to connect like this? I can't think of one.
No, UC has not done anything like that before. I tried it for one of the Hobbit replicas, but their factory could not do it. Now they think they can. We will see.

The colors won't be like that bow above. I am going to follow the colors on my Weta prop, which matches the props used in FOTR.
KRDS

I'm curious as to how much of an increase in shipping it would be to have the bow made into two pieces vs one. Are we talking double, or triple the price compared to say a sword?

I also wonder if buyers are more forgiving of higher costs for more desirable replicas. I'm sure UC has analyzed the figures but my speculation observing as an outsider is that buyers would pay more for a non-compromised replica of something as popular as one of the Legolas bows or the Gandalf staves, as opposed to something more niche like the Mirkwood polearm or Eomer spear for examples.

@Ronin,

While what you say is 100% true, the unfortunate flip side of that is that shipping costs have increased exponentially since the "good ol' days".

When I recall that I was able to have enormous boxes shipped to me in Canada for stuff like the Elven Shield, the Sauron Helm, and the HCG Lorien bow for mere pennies on the dollar, I can scarcely believe it.

Nowadays, costs for items that big have doubled, tripled, and quadrupled to the point that many of us (read: outside the US), have to pay - in many cases - more than the item itself costs for shipping, customs, and taxes.

I had to give up ordering stuff from Weta due to the racket that is UPS, and if it wasn't for places like Castle Kon bending over backwards to figure out ways to get stuff shipped at a somewhat reasonable cost, I would never buy another item from Weta or UC again.

As much as it sucks that they have to cut things in half like Aeglos or this bow, I commend UC for at least being aware that this is an issue and that if they want their products to have wide reach, compromises must be made. I, for one, can't justify paying $300 in shipping costs for a $250 item. :'(
This Space for Rent

I hear ya, Val. As much as I complain, I know all of you in Canada, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand have it far worse between shipping and import taxes.

Minor anecdote here but I bought a couple of Seiko watches directly from Japan through Buyee which is their proxy shipping service. The two watches were bought separately and shipped to the Buyee warehouse where they are then shipped to me. I decided to save a few bucks by consolidating the shipping rather than ship each watch on their own to me. Welp, unbeknownst to me that put the import value of the package over the non-tax threshold of $800. So what I saved in shipping, I paid multiple times in import duty. I bring this up because it got me thinking if I had to pay an import duty on every item I bought from an international seller regardless of how low the price is, I wouldn't make half of the purchases I do. It's really gotten crazy.

I returned an item to Weta earlier this year and had to pay duty for entry into New Zealand even though I didn't pay U.S. customs duty when I received it. I don't want to get into customs tax law but, it's ridiculous to have to pay to RETURN an item to its country of origin.

Ronin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:42 pm I'm curious as to how much of an increase in shipping it would be to have the bow made into two pieces vs one. Are we talking double, or triple the price compared to say a sword?

I also wonder if buyers are more forgiving of higher costs for more desirable replicas. I'm sure UC has analyzed the figures but my speculation observing as an outsider is that buyers would pay more for a non-compromised replica of something as popular as one of the Legolas bows or the Gandalf staves, as opposed to something more niche like the Mirkwood polearm or Eomer spear for examples.
There has to be a magic number somewhere that's too big. UC still sells full size staves (Gandalf's Moria, pipe and Hobbit) Gondorian shield and Sauron's mace which are all very big pieces. I assume the bow must exceed it somewhere.
Valkrist wrote: I had to give up ordering stuff from Weta due to the racket that is UPS, and if it wasn't for places like Castle Kon bending over backwards to figure out ways to get stuff shipped at a somewhat reasonable cost, I would never buy another item from Weta or UC again.
Not sure if you were aware or if it makes any difference now, but Weta now ships via Fed Ex.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”