Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Another vote here for the Sauron Mace.

Kit keeps mentioning input from retailers and it seems our voices here don't add up to much or we would've had that mace long ago along with Guthwine.

If you know a retailer, let them know what you want because it seems UC will listen to no one else. The only retailer I have contact with is Derek from Smithblades. If you've ordered from him before, let him know what you're interested in. Maybe then UC will get the message that we would like new items, be they LOTR or Hobbit, and not old LE items with a redesigned display stand.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Lindir""]Here you go:

What I'd like to see UC put out for DOS are:

Orcrist scabbard
Tauriel's daggers
A bow (Legolas or Tauriel)
Thranduil's staff[/quote]

I forgot just how sexy Thranduil's sword is. My fingers are definitely crossed for more Elven anything in the coming years. I can't say I'm a big fan of most of the dwarven stuff, but all these glimpses at Elven weapons is rather exciting.

Want.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

I am going to agree with everyone else , would love to see some bows done by UC , and the Sauron Mace would be an excellent addition to these collections ! ! !
I understand the disappointment with a re release of Sauron's Helm , however , I do like the new display stand that this one is on . And as far as the Second Age Gondorian Shield , I never bought because of all the issues I was reading about it cracking , paint peeling , bad silk screening of the design . Just figured wood eventually just warp or crack anyway , depending on the heat source in your house . Wood Fireplace or stove would destroy it , dry heat . Seeing it done in high impact resin , now I will take the chance , besides the design is raised on it not printed .

[quote=""Nasnandos""]No idea, sorry. I know they are in production, as well as more Legolas knives with a new plaque, but past that all I know is that the Orcrist scabbard definitely will not be coming anytime soon as I am still working with the factory trying to get the shape more accurate.[/quote]

Gives me more time to save up for it :)

Fingers crossed for Tauriel's daggers being made. The design looks really cool. Gah, we have to wait until october to see what UC will release first.

If you can answer, are you still going with the polyresin(?) material for the scabbard?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

As I have said before, I can't really talk about anything coming, or not coming in United's lineup unless it has been officially announced already.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Thanks for the answer nonetheless, Kit.

For Orcrist's scabbard, will it have leather straps or will it be just the scabbard? I remember you commenting how they kinda cheated in the movie as to how it's attached to Thorin's back in some weird way or somesuch? [/quote]
No straps, just the scabbard. There was no way to wear it at all in the original design. It was screwed to a bracket thing attached to the shoulder harness strap in the film, and not very Elvish, but you never see that part on screen. Peter Lyon had to come up a way to make it wearable for the Master Swordsmith version, detailed in that Weta Orcrist article I linked to a long while back. I simply added a belt loop to that side where the bracket was attached, similar to the Sting scabbard.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]No straps, just the scabbard. There was no way to wear it at all in the original design. It was screwed to a bracket thing attached to the shoulder harness strap in the film, and not very Elvish, but you never see that part on screen. Peter Lyon had to come up a way to make it wearable for the Master Swordsmith version, detailed in that Weta Orcrist article I linked to a long while back. I simply added a belt loop to that side where the bracket was attached, similar to the Sting scabbard.[/quote]

That's what I remember. Disappointing, but understandable. The sword is too short for an elf to have worn it on his back, so there had to have been some way to attach it more conventionally at the waist. There's also the issue of the blade shape necessitating the scabbard to be open for half of its length, posing a real danger for anyone holding the scabbard and drawing the sword at the same time. It certainly looks like Weta went overboard with fantasy over practicality on this one. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Thanks for the reply Kit, a steel version would have been nice but obviously the cost of making such a product is high. Still, the polyresin looks promising from what we've heard and the little bits that we've seen.

Val, I don't think it will be that much of a problem to be honest. Like Kit said a few weeks ago, you can grip the scabbard further down. Because Orcrist is short, you won't have much trouble gripping the lower part of the scabbard. Also you could try and grip it using the palm and your thumb, but not wrapping your fingers around the edge.

I just tried that with my Glamdring scabbard and sword and it does work.

I like the half scabbards that the mirkwood elves have. It seems practical in a way, because mirkwood is a large woodland area (obviously) and if you're running, your scabbard may get caught in the trees, bushes, etc. so a shorter, half scabbard is more ideal. At least, thats how I see it.

[quote=""Valkrist""]....It certainly looks like Weta went overboard with fantasy over practicality on this one. :huh: [/quote]

Ya' think?

[Translation: understatement of the year :P ]

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

lol, Deimos... you crack me up every time, and I love that! :D

I've since laid to rest the ghosts of dragon's teeth and other such nonsense. I know you'll never cease to remind me, but I'm trying to move past it. I was commenting more on how the design of the blade engendered this particular scabbard design and its obvious flaws, but yes, it all does tie back to Weta outsmarting themselves in their quest for 'coolness.' :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

I just buried my disappointment in an unrelenting quest for more Lord of the Rings polystone. :P

Only joking, I've come to terms with Orcrist. It looks neat and it's not changing so I'll let it go and buy it in the future when I'm not desperate to e xp and my LotR collection. It's great to hear news from you Kit, I hope Orcrist's scabbard is coming along well. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Jaymail""]Have we heard any rumour about if/what UC might be presenting at Comic Con? Hopefully some previews.[/quote]

I don't think UC go to comic con, and they aren't allowed to release any information about replicas until October at the earliest. So I doubt there will be any previews :(

[quote=""Lindir""]Interesting rumour from BUDK's facebook page:

Word on the street is that United Cutlery is going to making a replica of Azog's Mace from The Desolation of Smaug. [/quote]

Why would they go ahead with this one when they scrapped Sauron's mace. That would have been 10x more popular than this? Well maybe this will open the door to have that made. One can dream right.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Sauron's mace was scrapped? :coolsmile [/quote]

That's a cruel tease indeed, Kit. We know it was scrapped for the LOTR line due to costs of production and materials. You mentioned a fibreglass alternative was considered but obviously that never left the drawing board. I take it your comment means the project *may* be ressurrected for the LOTR line, just like some older items have made a comeback? I certainly hope so, and for the reason cited, rather than some hint that Sauron and his mace may indeed be making an appearance at the Battle of the Five Armies. :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]That's a cruel tease indeed, Kit. We know it was scrapped for the LOTR line due to costs of production and materials. You mentioned a fibreglass alternative was considered but obviously that never left the drawing board. I take it your comment means the project *may* be ressurrected for the LOTR line, just like some older items have made a comeback? I certainly hope so, and for the reason cited, rather than some hint that Sauron and his mace may indeed be making an appearance at the Battle of the Five Armies. :huh: [/quote]

Kit mentioned it a while back, but nothing since. It could have been going through various levels of production since then and he's just never mentioned it again, to avoid causing dissapointment if it didn't get made. I don't think he's ever said it won't happen.

I would buy Sauron's mace though, and Azog's. I can justify Azog's in my "elf only" collection because Orcs used to be elves :P and Sauron's mace I would get because he's an important character who I like.

[quote=""Valkrist""]That's a cruel tease indeed, Kit. We know it was scrapped for the LOTR line due to costs of production and materials. You mentioned a fibreglass alternative was considered but obviously that never left the drawing board. I take it your comment means the project *may* be ressurrected for the LOTR line, just like some older items have made a comeback? I certainly hope so, and for the reason cited, rather than some hint that Sauron and his mace may indeed be making an appearance at the Battle of the Five Armies. :huh: [/quote]

I mentioned here not too long ago that we were looking into a fiberglass or polyresin replica. Kind of fits with the way the Sauron helm was made, so that is how we should have done it to begin with. Still in development though, but looks promising that it will happen, and at Sauron film scale.

As far the BOFA, I have not heard anything of the sort. This is for the LOTR line.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I mentioned here not too long ago that we were looking into a fiberglass or polyresin replica. Kind of fits with the way the Sauron helm was made, so that is how we should have done it to begin with. Still in development though, but looks promising that it will happen, and at Sauron film scale.

As far the BOFA, I have not heard anything of the sort. This is for the LOTR line.[/quote]

I'm really excited now :D Sauron film scale is the massive one right? I remember you mentioned there was also a smaller mace at the exhibition that you wanted to get hold of when you were originally planning Sauron's mace so I'm not sure if thats the scale you mean or the bigger one.

Your comments over in the Weta thread have made me hopeful for Tauriel's daggers and possibly her bow (at some stage) I guess we'll find out come September/October.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I mentioned here not too long ago that we were looking into a fiberglass or polyresin replica. Kind of fits with the way the Sauron helm was made, so that is how we should have done it to begin with. Still in development though, but looks promising that it will happen, and at Sauron film scale.[/quote]

Hmmm... I would be as excited as anyone to see Sauron's mace made. And in general I prefer film scale (Sauron's mace should be huge, and Sting should be pretty small).

So I should be really excited for this, but wasn't Sauron's helm made in actor scale???

So if you put the helm and mace together in your collection, the scales would be out of sync. This might look alright, but then again it might make Sauron's helm seem kid-sized compared to the gigantic mace.

[quote=""Moonglum83""]

So I should be really excited for this, but wasn't Sauron's helm made in actor scale???[/quote]

Ugh!!! I can't believe I forgot that! It will look odd indeed. As much as I was against UC re-releasing the Sauron helm, I wish they had done it but in Sauron scale. At least it would have been sufficiently different from the original, and it would have matched the large mace. Come to think of it, the Gauntlet will be off-scale to the mace as well. :(
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I mentioned here not too long ago that we were looking into a fiberglass or polyresin replica. Kind of fits with the way the Sauron helm was made, so that is how we should have done it to begin with. Still in development though, but looks promising that it will happen, and at Sauron film scale.

As far the BOFA, I have not heard anything of the sort. This is for the LOTR line.[/quote]

Wow, it's like a dream come true. The one piece I really really wanted to come out of the LOTR line. I'm excited about more Hobbit replicas as well, but this trumps it by far. I wonder what other LOTR items are in possible production or at least on the drawing board?

I too have been waiting to hear good news about Sauron's Mace , one item I have been looking forward to ! ! I am like you Val , not going to think to hard on it and get my hopes up , however I am very concerned that the scale sizes won't match up . I no longer have the gauntlet , was one of the items I had sold last year . But since the helm is so huge even in actors scale , it might look okay together .

Don't get hopes too high. It's not a done deal yet. I'm just saying it was not 'scrapped'. When united announces it, then you will know it's happening.

As far as the scale, it's only a 10 or 12% difference. If fact, we did not even know the mace prop was not actor scale until I saw the smaller one at the Indiana exhibit. I scaled one to that size and it looked too small with the helm and gauntlet, so my preference is for what looks and feels right to the film.

The helm replicas were all made actor scale, in that they fit on a person's head, but all were enlarged to fit an 'average' head size, so they are all larger. Thickness was also added to the Sauron helm to make it structurally workable in polyresin. It came in somewhere around 8-10% larger than the prop. The prop was super thin, and must have been made to fit an actor with a very slim head, because I could not wear it. Well, I got it on once, and almost removed my ears getting it off.
KRDS

[quote=""N2darkness""]Wow, it's like a dream come true. The one piece I really really wanted to come out of the LOTR line. I'm excited about more Hobbit replicas as well, but this trumps it by far. I wonder what other LOTR items are in possible production or at least on the drawing board?[/quote]

I'm with you 100%, pal. Together with Aeglos, these two items are my personal Holy Grails of items that were never made from the UC line. Since we will never get the spear, I am trembling with barely suppressed excitement that we may finally, at least, get the mace. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

No, it's polyresin over a fiberglass shell, similar to the old LOTR Sauron helm. That was supposed to be a black iron finish though. I looked at the Sauron helm and shield as more of a testing ground to see what these guys could do. The metalized poly is the next step, and if it works out good, we will be able to do replicas of some things that were not possible before.

That scabbard needed to look like shaped and polished steel, not silver paint. What I have been trying to do is get some metal powder added to the polyresin and the paint, so it can be lightly polished and have the look of steel. It's not an exact match to the metal finish on the Orcrist hilt parts, but it looks like metal, and they got the shading and coloring near exact to the prop.

The first round looked like a plastic toy. Now it looks as good as or better than the prop. They just need to replicate that in production.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”