Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

My Fili and Kili swords arrived. It looks like I got some decent ones. There are a few rough places on the blades, but nothing like in the photos of the bad ones posted here. These must be from later production as the blades are much darker than what I saw from the first batch. Overall, pretty good.

I also got the new Morgul dagger, Gondor shield, and the Sauron helm. The dagger looks fairly close to my prototype. Maybe a bit too black on the blade paint wash, not quite as aged looking as it should be, but it looks good. They did a nice job matching my weathered leather grip too. The Sauron helm and base look good, but the post hole in the base is too large, so the post wobbles a lot. Anybody else have that issue?

I'm not happy with the shield at all. The handle does not prevent my shield form being hung on the wall, so I don't have that problem, but my shield has the same sloppy paint issues I have seen other people complaining about, only x10.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I'm not happy with the shield at all. The handle does not prevent my shield form being hung on the wall, so I don't have that problem, but my shield has the same sloppy paint issues I have seen other people complaining about, only x10.[/quote]

I noticed you said in a recent post that if there were only a couple of bad apples in a given batch, you'd likely get one of them. Well, I usually get the other one! That's why I canceled my order for the shield (even w/30% off). I just know I'd get one of the sloppy ones where the silver dry brushing would be everywhere but where it should, etc. Additionally, this would be yet another dupe for me as I already have the original version. True, it isn't a true dupe as the material is different and the mold much improved, but the paint makes all the difference. If it isn't finished and detailed properly, the rest is moot. That's why I decided to cancel.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Probably an heirloom from the days of Dale, possibly even Girion's sword itself. I like the look of it, but my priority with Bard would be his bow and black arrow.[/quote]

I really like the look of that sword (what can be seen of it). If UC makes it, I will definitely pick one up.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""polyphemus""]I noticed you said in a recent post that if there were only a couple of bad apples in a given batch, you'd likely get one of them. Well, I usually get the other one! That's why I canceled my order for the shield (even w/30% off). I just know I'd get one of the sloppy ones where the silver dry brushing would be everywhere but where it should, etc. Additionally, this would be yet another dupe for me as I already have the original version. True, it isn't a true dupe as the material is different and the mold much improved, but the paint makes all the difference. If it isn't finished and detailed properly, the rest is moot. That's why I decided to cancel.[/quote]Yeah, I'm the guy that will hit every single red light driving through town too. I have only seen photos of 5 shields from production, but not one of them matches the proto I painted for the factory to follow. It's supposed to look a bit rough and not perfect, as the prop was very beat up and worn, but there is a difference in rough looking and rushed looking. Hopefully they are not all like this.
KRDS

I'll have to check my Sauron Helm base this weekend and let you know . My shield hangs fine as well , no problems with the handle . My only problem with the shield as I stated before was the paint on the stars , but I didn't have the prop shield in my hands to compare . Overall I am also happy with the Fili and Kili swords , got two decent ones I guess . Was thinking about taking stainless steel black to the few light spots on the Kili sword to see how it will look .

The stars on mine are literally a small dab of gold paint in the middle and look worse than what yours looked like. The paint on the rivets is sloppy, silver paint is brushed all over the black wood around the raised metal parts, the medallion is crooked - I mean nothing looks good except the mold itself and the banner.

You would notice it easily if the post in your Sauron helm was loose. Mine rocks side to side about 6mm. I have not heard of anyone having this issue - but it's probably that cursed luck I was talking about above :)
KRDS

[quote=""N2darkness""]So would these happen to be the elven pole-arms?
[/quote]
No, but that one should have been in the early line up. Things are always changing with the secondary weapons so we don't even know if the one United is making will be in film 2, and then things we didn't pick turn out to be in the film.

As for the rest of the arms and armor those Mirkwood guards have... :)
KRDS

Derek from smithblades.com sent out a teaser email today revealing that the sword of Thranduil is coming in December from UC, more details to follow soon.

Trying hard to contain my excitement here but... Kit, are you permitted to comment on whether this sword may realistically be ready for release in a month? Another question I'm hoping you can answer: how is this sword going to be displayed? The lack of crosspiece and Hadhafang-like design makes a vertical plaque display difficult. Aside from that, the options are horizontal plaque, like the Elven Warrior Sword, and table-top, like the aforementioned Hadhafang. So, which will it be? I hope it is a wall plaque of some kind, because as quickly shrinking as my wall space is, a table-top mount poses even more problems. What do others wish to see for this sword?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Derek from smithblades.com sent out a teaser email today revealing that the sword of Thranduil is coming in December from UC, more details to follow soon.

Trying hard to contain my excitement here but... Kit, are you permitted to comment on whether this sword may realistically be ready for release in a month? Another question I'm hoping you can answer: how is this sword going to be displayed? The lack of crosspiece and Hadhafang-like design makes a vertical plaque display difficult. Aside from that, the options are horizontal plaque, like the Elven Warrior Sword, and table-top, like the aforementioned Hadhafang. So, which will it be? I hope it is a wall plaque of some kind, because as quickly shrinking as my wall space is, a table-top mount poses even more problems. What do others wish to see for this sword?[/quote]

I just wish I could get this sword :'(

From the press release Val, they made it sound like none of the replicas wouldn't be available until next year. Kit did mention that we may see some photos in the catalogue that UC will put out in December, so perhaps Derek may have confused it with that?

I think they could make a wall plaque. Have the hooks grab the spur (spike) of the blade and one could grab it between the cut-outs.

I wonder if I could try and convince UC to produce a straight bladed model. The curve is very slight and isn't really that noticeable like the curve on Hadhafang or Haldir's sword so if it was straightened there wouldn't be much of a problem :)
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Valkrist""]Derek from smithblades.com sent out a teaser email today revealing that the sword of Thranduil is coming in December from UC, more details to follow soon.

[For display] I hope it is a wall plaque of some kind, because as quickly shrinking as my wall space is, a table-top mount poses even more problems. What do others wish to see for this sword?[/quote]

I'm also hoping for a horizontal wall plaque. The HEWS looks fantastic displayed that way, as it enhances the elegant curve and design of the sword. Thranduil's sword would greatly benefit from the same display method. Here's hoping...

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

It definitely is not going to be available in December. Not sure where that is coming from, but I know what stage of development it is in and it's more likely to be mid next year.

The display is a horizontal wall plaque. It did not work vertically for several reasons, but the original idea was to display at a 30 degree angle, in the 'scabbard'. You would have to see it to understand that, but it was simply too e xp ensive that way so the idea was dropped.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]It definitely is not going to be available in December. Not sure where that is coming from, but I know what stage of development it is in and it's more likely to be mid next year.

The display is a horizontal wall plaque. It did not work vertically for several reasons, but the original idea was to display at a 30 degree angle, in the 'scabbard'. You would have to see it to understand that, but it was simply too e xp ensive that way so the idea was dropped.[/quote]

Do Tauriel's daggers also have to same potential release date or will they be released sooner?

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Out of the six items announced so far, the release will probably be like this - Azog mace and Thranduil staff, Tauriel bow, Elven polearm, Tauriel daggers, and Thranduil sword last. Some thing may get done earlier, some later, and different things in development stage and approvals are always in flux.[/quote]

Woooooooaahhhhhh how on earth did I miss all of that being announced?! :O
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Valkrist""]Fin, that's what you get for two-timing us over at S&F. They may have the top Weta news, but we have the scoop on UC. ;) [/quote]

Ha, Val! Here Fin, sounds like you might need this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bu ... ted_States

Joking aside, it sounds like some people have finally picked up some Kili swords that appear to be in good shape. After my talk with UC on facebook, I'm definitely ready to pick up another, I just want to make sure I'm getting a good one. Perhaps I'll send out some emails prior to ordering.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""Valkrist""]Lindir did some sleuthing a few posts ago and spilled the beans on UC's plans.

Fin, that's what you get for two-timing us over at S&F. They may have the top Weta news, but we have the scoop on UC. ;) [/quote]

Burned indeed! :crazy: I totally missed that though, time to do some sleuthing of my own and looks for pictures!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Burned indeed! :crazy: I totally missed that though, time to do some sleuthing of my own and looks for pictures![/quote]

Unless you can get hold of a time machine or break into UC's databases I don't think you'll find any pics :P The ones that UC have are early prototypes as the finals have not yet been shot, and probably won't be until after Christmas I believe :P

[quote=""RosereIII""]

Joking aside, it sounds like some people have finally picked up some Kili swords that appear to be in good shape. After my talk with UC on facebook, I'm definitely ready to pick up another, I just want to make sure I'm getting a good one. Perhaps I'll send out some emails prior to ordering.[/quote]

Hopefully you get a good one Rosere. Perhaps if you call/email BudK or wherever you plan to shop and ask them to check it over before sending it out to you. I know not a lot of stores don't like doing that, but it's worth a shot :)
Last edited by Lindir on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Man that thing looks so great. I'd really like UC to make the spear that's also on that page, they would make a cool set.

I think if its made with steel then it should be fine in the UK, so I'll be able to buy it because its classed as a polearm and not a sword. Is it polyresin or steel though Kit? I can't remember if the press release stated what it would be made from but I'm thinking polyresin will be better to capture all the details.

From the drawing it looks as though it has a wave pattern going through the blade, kinda like damascus steel.

Gonna have to pre-order this when it becomes available :D

No poly. Steel blades, wood shaft. I can't comment on the design too much since the film has not been released, but the prop is slightly different than what is shown in that concept art.

I would have loved to have that spear in the line had we known for sure where it would appear and who used it. I know now, but now United wants to wait and see the film before deciding on those. They are massive, 2X the size of the one the elf is holding in that concept art. You can see them in the background of some of the green screen behind the scenes footage of Thranduil that has been released.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]No poly. Steel blades, wood shaft. I can't comment on the design too much since the film has not been released, but the prop is slightly different than what is shown in that concept art.

I would have loved to have that spear in the line had we known for sure where it would appear and who used it. I know now, but now United wants to wait and see the film before deciding on those. They are massive, 2X the size of the one the elf is holding in that concept art. You can see them in the background of some of the green screen behind the scenes footage of Thranduil that has been released.[/quote]

Ah right I see. I think it should be fine because the spear from your line is legal over here in the UK. I guess it depends on whats written on the boxes. If they say its a polearm or spear it should be fine. I guess we'll find out for sure when they come to release them.

Yeh I remember seeing those when they did the sneak peak event back in May. They look really nice. Hopefully they'll decide to do them :)

Anybody else get Derek's email this morning? New Legolas knives, Tauriel knives, Thranduil's staff, elven polearm, Sauron's gauntlet, Azog's mace, and Orcrist scabbard details and prices. New legolas knives look a bit flashier than the LotR replicas. Thranduil's staff is also bigger than I'd imagined. Still not as big as the wizards staffs, but I didn't think it was that big from the pictures. Sweet prop though. And the elven pole arm is great too. :coolsmile

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Anybody else get Derek's email this morning? New Legolas knives, Tauriel knives, Thranduil's staff, elven polearm, Sauron's gauntlet, Azog's mace, and Orcrist scabbard details and prices. New legolas knives look a bit flashier than the LotR replicas. Thranduil's staff is also bigger than I'd imagined. Still not as big as the wizards staffs, but I didn't think it was that big from the pictures. Sweet prop though. And the elven pole arm is great too. :coolsmile [/quote]

Nice. My wallet is already complaining about what's to come. :D

As an aside . . . I've tried to get on Derek's mailing a couple of times (once via PM here after making a couple of purchases, and once via eBay after making a purchase from him there), but I haven't been successful. Can anyone offer advice as to how to get on his list?

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”