Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

:jaw:

Kit, any chance you'd be able to show us some larger photos of the props? :D

One thing I'm worried about is the elven pole arm. The blades are longer than 50cm, but the law only restricts swords but they may view this is a sword :| Kit have any retailers here in the UK mentioned whether they would stock it or not?

Who is going to buy two Thranduil swords so you have the set? I wish I could just get one :'(

Side note: of all the new items, only Sauron's gauntlet is limited. Hopefully the info is correct and we won't have to worry about which replicas to buy first
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Buckeye""]Nice. My wallet is already complaining about what's to come. :D

As an aside . . . I've tried to get on Derek's mailing a couple of times (once via PM here after making a couple of purchases, and once via eBay after making a purchase from him there), but I haven't been successful. Can anyone offer advice as to how to get on his list?[/quote]

I second this request...tried a few months back but that didn't go anywhere. Now that things are rolling out, it'd be nice to get on the list. (Buckeye, if you figure it out, would you mind forwarding it along? :) )

So is it true then? They're bringing back the Anduril scabbard? Any chance other LOTR items will find their way back into production?

The polearm looks sweet! Just wish I had a place to put it. :( I'm really hoping things stay in production for awhile as my wallet can't afford much for time being.

Here's a link to the Hobbit products page on United's website:
http://www.unitedcutlery.com/Category.aspx?cat=HB

(Note: the "View Larger" image links on the Hobbit items page do not appear to be active for the newest items with the exception of the new Gauntlet of Sauron)

It shows all the currently available and upcoming items. I noted, however, that they do not indicate a return of the Anduril scabbard under their LOTR licensed items page, or on the Hobbit page. Of course, they do have the new Sauron helm on the LOTR page, and, as noted earlier, the new Sauron gauntlet on the Hobbit page (for whatever reason). I'm still a miffed about those re-released items and plan to sell both of my original Sauron items soon in both protest and an attempt to recover some of their value while I can. :angry:
Last edited by polyphemus on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I guess this answers my question about whether the polearm was double-bladed or not, which was unanswered. I also hope these releases are spaced out so the wallet gets a break. Also unhappy about the Gauntlet rerelease: another LE item ruined, thanks UC.

Lindir, what do you mean two Thranduil swords for a set? He has a second sword or two of the same one?!? Or did you mean sword and staff?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]
Lindir, what do you mean two Thranduil swords for a set? He has a second sword or two of the same one?!? Or did you mean sword and staff?[/quote]

There have been a few fleeting glimpses of Thranduil using two swords from the recent production blog and also the extended edition of an une xp ected journey (the last documentary) and also the product description says its one of his twin swords :)

I just found out UC has put the new stuff up. Looks like everyone knew before me, as usual.
No idea why the Sauron gauntlet is in the Hobbit section. Looks like UC's web person may have gotten confused.

Keep in mind, just about everything shown on that Hobbit page is artwork, or photo art built from rough prototype parts. Other than the Orcrist scabbard, I don't think anything has actually been photographed yet. I just got the pre-production Azog mace yesterday!

Lindir - No idea about UK dealers. I would just email one of them and ask, but I'm sure they are all asking themselves the same question trying to determine if they can be imported.
KRDS

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Any word on the rerelease of the Anduril Scabbard? I'd hate to see another LE item get snubbed, but I can't ahold of one otherwise. A double negative, it would seem. :| [/quote]

Fin, none of the scabbards were LE items, the Anduril one included. I just think they are scarce because the production runs seem to have been smaller than the weapons proper.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Buckeye""]UC's parent company has some of the new items (including the Orcrist scabbard) available for pre-order on their website:
http://www.budk.com/category/Movies-TV- ... 2/3511.uts[/quote]

I was very tempted, had 4 of the 5 items in my cart. Wouldn't let me add the pole arm, not sure why. Haven't pulled the trigger on the pre-order yet as BudK always has some sort of coupon for a discount or reduced shipping. May order through UC directly and order everything.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Fin, none of the scabbards were LE items, the Anduril one included. I just think they are scarce because the production runs seem to have been smaller than the weapons proper.[/quote]

Huh, no kidding? I thought that the Anduril Scabbard and Strider were both LE? Just low production numbers then. So they're just sadly impossible for me to obtain then. :P
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Huh, no kidding? I thought that the Anduril Scabbard and Strider were both LE? Just low production numbers then. So they're just sadly impossible for me to obtain then. :P [/quote]

They were not limited. I think the sales numbers worked out to where only about 10% of the sword owners bought a scabbard, so in that respect they are rare compared to the swords, but there were still thousands of them made. Definitely not low production numbers, but the people who spent the extra money for one are not the type that want to let them go.

Just an FYI, but I asked United if they were going to make more and was told no. The price to make them and the MOQ is just too high to justify another run. But, never say never. I know LOTR popularity is going to keep increasing,especially after the next Hobbit film, so maybe things will change.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

I hope they re-release the museum sting.

Is this a bad thing to wish for?

There are so many things I want but after waiting and putting it off so many times, I have found my interest level actually dropped.

E.g. I've been eyeing the Sauron gauntlet for a very long time. There was a time when I was looking out on eBay for it almost every other day and now that it is available, I'm not 100% sure I'll actually get it!

Same thing with the efx Darth Vader helmet. I had a REALLY good chance to get it for 20% off in the last 24hours, as a website was giving Xmas discounts for all things star wars. That's another item I've been seriously eyeing for a very very long time...followed its development progress, read the reviews etc. And the price was really excellent..$799 free shipping which is e xp ensive but a very good price for over here in Australia. But in the end I passed again.

I think a BIG part of the reason is I look at my house space and practically I'm not sure where to fit any of this. Anyone face these issues? There are just soooo many nice things to collect and with prices the way they are, I think I'm a little priced out and burnt out even! I really feel like i need to try to be a bit disciplined and stick to certain lines!
Last edited by Aragorn on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

[quote=""N2darkness""]Haven't pulled the trigger on the pre-order yet as BudK always has some sort of coupon for a discount or reduced shipping. May order through UC directly and order everything.[/quote]

If you are ordering from BudK, you are ordering "directly" from UC, or as directly as one can in that BudK owns UC and UC does not sell anything via their website. However, you are quite right to wait for the next big promotional offer as BudK runs sales from 20-30% off quite often! :thumbs_up

[quote=""Aragorn""]I hope they re-release the museum sting.[/quote]

You can still find these quite often on eBay. You can also get one of them (without the COA or display case) from Redford Films for around $200. If you check eBay, you will find them ranging in prices from $400-$900. Here's one that appears complete from a avid collector of UC LOTR items (judging from his current and completed listings):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LORD-OF-THE-RIN ... 2332ee2465

I think Aragorn means getting a new MC Sting complete with box and COA minus the high prices (which are understandable given the LE nature of item.) Collectors can still find the original Gondor Shield, Sauron Helm and Gauntlet for sale privately as well, but UC decided they wanted a piece of those aftermarket profits under the guise of giving new fans the opportunity of owning these rare items for less money. I say that's great for them and the newcomers, but quite the slap in the face for collectors of the original items, supposedly LE, but no longer so.

Anywya, my feelings on the matter are well known, so forgive me for going on about this all over again.

Thus, my answer to Aragorn would be yes, it is bad to wish for MC Sting to be rereleased. While I respect and sympathize with your desire to own something without paying an arm and a leg for it, I also think that's a huge disservice to all the owners of what was supposed to be a rare collectible. The more UC continues to do this, the more our collections are cheapened. :(
This Space for Rent

[quote=""polyphemus""]If you are ordering from BudK, you are ordering "directly" from UC, or as directly as one can in that BudK owns UC and UC does not sell anything via their website. However, you are quite right to wait for the next big promotional offer as BudK runs sales from 20-30% off quite often! :thumbs_up [/quote]

I'm able to order through either and yes I know BudK owns UC. I have wholesale accounts through both, have had them since they were two separate companies. With them pretty much being the same company now I can get them for the same price at either place, but BudK does offer some promotions even to wholesalers. The only difference is UC will let you order anything on the site and sometimes you have to wait through BudK. Just depends on how impatient I am, which isn't an issue as none of these items are limited.
Last edited by N2darkness on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""N2darkness""]I have wholesale accounts through both, have had them since they were two separate companies.[/quote]

I guess I should have qualified my statement as I know UC does not sell directly to retail consumers. I had no idea you were a vendor and thus had wholesale accounts with both entities. I wonder how many others are dealing in these items as vendors/wholesalers? Unfortunately, I am not in that position so the best I can hope for is to take advantage of one of BudK's frequent sales/promotions. I am a bit surprised you are allowed to leverage both wholesale pricing and BudK's promotions. I would have e xp ected the promotions to be limited to the retail consumer market, but, again, I am not a vendor/wholesaler so I have no e xp erience in that regard...

[quote=""Valkrist""]I think Aragorn means getting a new MC Sting complete with box and COA minus the high prices[/quote]

Well, the eBay listing I linked for Aragorn has a starting bid of $400 and a BIN price of $525. It includes the original packaging, display case, and COA so that does not seem like an exorbitant amount. I believe they sold for around $375 new, or am I mistaken about that? Either way, I was trying to point him toward a complete item at a *reasonable* price.

As for wishing for UC to reissue the item...

You know I agree with you on that point, Val! I am already faced with selling my Sauron stuff owing to the release of the new helm and gauntlet. I would definitely prefer UC stop changing the rules of what constitutes a "Limited Edition" every time one of their sold out items begins to increase in value. :angry:

Well, Kit already e xp lained that this is a whole new company so that they are not beholden to what the old UC did. It's a shame really because while I understand the point of a business is to make money, I also feel that the fact that those original items were sold as Limited Editions can now be viewed retrospectively as false advertising. Being in a state of bankruptcy, I'm sure the old company wasn't in much of a position to make conditions, such as no remaking sold out limited items, or they likely didn't care. The unfortunate reality now is that we bought collectibles under false pretenses.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Well, Kit already e xp lained that this is a whole new company so that they are not beholden to what the old UC did.[/quote]

I realize the company now exists as a new entity and, as such, is not required to honor the limited production of items produced as limited by the former incarnation of UC. However, they seem to have purchased all the production rights and licenses for the items produced by the old UC. That being the case, I just wish those licenses had some codicil whereby "limited" items already produced and sold out were omitted from the rights conferred upon the new UC. Either way, I think it stinks to high heaven that they are taking the time to reproduce Sauron items when there is SO MUCH WORK to be done on new items from the current Hobbit films. Finally, if they really want to revisit LOTR so badly, how about making the items we all wanted, but they scraped previously. Guthwine, anyone? Guthwine? 2nd Age Numenorean Infantry Helm? Helm of King Theoden? There are just so many better ways they could e xp and their line of collectibles without trashing the value of our existing items! :|

Oh I'm with you 200%, but I'm sure it will be pointed out that the LE item remakes are not that much of a time and resources investment since all the R&D, design, casts and molds, and any production issues are already out of the way. After all, the item was already made once so nearly all the work is done and this is the fastest way for the new UC to make a quick buck. A lot of the so-called "new" Hobbit items are also retreads of old stuff, like Glamdring and the Legolas Knives. The only LE item that can be said to have had somewhat of a rework was the Gondor shield. As for the new items, neither UC, new or old, was ever much interested in what we want or don't want. They have their own criteria for making these decisions and our desires are only a small part of that. Kit says LOTR interest is coming back and I heartily agree, and if the Sauron Mace is any indication, we may be pleasantly surprised one day. Just that mace alone is nearly enough to make me forgive the new UC for all these LE remakes... almost.
This Space for Rent

Don't forget Haldir's sword Poly :P

I just remembered how close we came to actually getting that made. I remember emailing UC a few years back and they said we'd likely see it on the market soon and they had plans and everything drawn up. Of course the license e xp ired and we never saw it :(

I think I may have posted that here somewhere when I received the email.

[quote=""polyphemus""] I am a bit surprised you are allowed to leverage both wholesale pricing and BudK's promotions. I would have e xp ected the promotions to be limited to the retail consumer market, but, again, I am not a vendor/wholesaler so I have no e xp erience in that regard...[/quote]

The promotions aren't much, sometimes it may be penny shipping on your order or $5 of an order of $75 or more and the ever so rare 10% off your entire order. Its not much, but if I'm gonna preorder all of the new items it would be worth waiting for something. Penny shipping is pretty good considering all of these items will probably ship separately.

Well, I must add swords of Faramir and Denethor, besides the famous Gutwine and sword of Haldir :) What can I say, I have a right to dream :)
Although I don't posses any of the LE (and I would like to) I'm against reproducing LIMITED editions PERIOD! That is just wrong... But as they say, the money makes the world go round...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

[quote=""EagleFriend""]Well, I must add swords of Faramir and Denethor, besides the famous Gutwine and sword of Haldir :) What can I say, I have a right to dream :)
Although I don't posses any of the LE (and I would like to) I'm against reproducing LIMITED editions PERIOD! That is just wrong... But as they say, the money makes the world go round...[/quote]
Totally agree on that one my friend.
Let's just keep our fingers crossed for that one to happen the swords of Faramir and Denethor i mean. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Valkrist""]...but UC decided they wanted a piece of those aftermarket profits under the guise of giving new fans the opportunity of owning these rare items for less money. I say that's great for them and the newcomers, but quite the slap in the face for collectors of the original items, supposedly LE, but no longer so.[/quote]

I've barely been around here for years after the final "original run" UC LOTR items shipped (think it was the museum collections & Isildur's sword), awaiting for the new Hobbit films to produce new products. Upon hearing this version 2 of United Cutlery post-"going bust" (or whatever happened there) are producing identical copies of what was original LE products, really pisses me off. They can take they new products and shove them. More than happy to give my money to Valyrian Steel for GoT licensed products. So far, they've stuck to their LE word for Damascus steel items.

Truth is those true collectors who want UC LOTR originals will still be able to target them based on product codes and original boxes, etc. (hands up who has green, brown, or blue boxes? :P ) Likely most here. :)

Oh, btw just saw the new UC2491 SAURON HELM stand on eBay listings....it sucks.
Last edited by RATLSNAKE on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One RATLSNAKE to rule them all."

The rest of the newly announced UC products now appear on the BudK website, specifically Thranduil's sword and Sauron's gauntlet.

For some reason, unlike all of the other items, the Mirkwood double-bladed polearm still cannot be added to a checkout cart...

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

First off, let me say Holy Cannoli Batman!!

What has happened in my absence. It is great to see all of the things we have talked about for so long becoming reality. I think my wallet is code bluing right now. So Azog's Mace, Orcrist Scabbard, Elven Polearm, and Thranduil's Staff are a must!!!

Azog's mace is coming to join the party. Anduril may be the first sword I ever owned, but I cannot deny the simple fact of how much I loved all of the evil weapons of LOTR. I mean don't get me wrong, their all amazing. But Evil weapons from the simplistic and brutal Uruk Hai Scimitar. The beauty, just pure beauty, of the ringwraith sword makes one awe. These are the ones that got shut down quickly (specifically ringwraith), which in turn only later drove their price up that much more. This is why Azog's mace will have to be a must IMO.

Orcrist scabbard is probably going to be the first one of the bunch, since it is coming down the pipe soon. Looks like a beautiful piece of artwork.

You've all heard me recently talk about the polearms, pike, and spears. And I say bring it on!!! The high Elven Warrior Sword has always been a favorite. The new polearm is sticking to its heritage. How and 1.5 second clip of upper cutting swords in unison could ever elicit such a force, emotion, all the above, be turned into a production piece is beyond me. I'm glad they did. This looks to me like the HEWS on steroids. Where is the Berserker ( excuse me, Woodland Guard) that wields this thing? Edit: Seen these things, just commenting on the sheer amount of awesomeness this is.

Now onto the staff... I have been particularly fond of these. Man's best walking stick always look great. I love that with this one it incorporate's both wood and metal vine in the design. It's so unique!

On some people theorizing about Thranduil wielding two swords. One bit that I always thought was interesting was looking at early photo's comparing to recent photo's. I remember it seemed like one of the first good shots of Thrandy with his sword, was a picture with the sword looking black. In all of the recent promotions I've seen this same sword have a silver tone to it. (Photo's at bottom)

I can see how the gauntlets are angering some people. I'm just on the other side of the fence on this one, as some have said, these are items that I would not normally be able to attain. Now I have a chance at a reasonable price, to pick one up. Being the only one limited right now, might have to jump on this as well. I'm going to try to wait it out for one of the 20-30% off chances then, jump on the preorder.

I'm in a rough spot right now as the replacement Kili Sword I've received is also defective. This is the first time this has ever happened let alone needing to return one. I have full faith in United to pull through. I buy their replicas for a reason.

I'm very exited and gut punched at the same time. While I can't wait for the new items, my wallet can't wait to be free from this collection habit. Will it ever be?

Hawk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I like how the new plaque for Legolas' knives and also the plaque for Tauriel's knives is shaped like the Mirkwood Elven Shield.

I wonder how they'll replicate the bronzed blades on Tauriel's knives. I'm guessing it'll be plated. Can you comment Kit, or is the process still being decided on?

[quote=""N2darkness""]

I'm also curious on how this wall plaque it going to work for Azog's mace. It looks like the rod goes through the notches in the blades, but a little hard to tell.[/quote]

I was looking at that as well and I think the rod sticks out away from the wall so that when you slide the mace into it, it clutches it under the blades, if you get what I mean. Although it might go through the holes instead :huh:

BudK has updated the e xp ected release date for the Staff of Thranduil: 03-18-2014

That sounds a bit more believable. Still nothing for Tauriel's fighting knives or the Elven polearm.
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

True in most cases, except where people spent great deals of money for something that was supposed to be exclusive.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”