Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

@Valkrist kinda funny story, kinda not. Reminds me of the GA Ren. Faire here. There is the "Pirate Ship." One year, sadly I was too broke to be there, they had United's white Glamdring scabbard... $99.00. Yeah. New. No yellowing. I'm like, "Do you not know what you have?!" Guy at the register says, "We like to beat out the online competition."
Above it. Anduril. $399.99 ... not kidding. In my head I'm like, "Nothing here makes sense!"
Met the owner and we talked about an hour, gave me his business card, LOTR resale/pricing talk. Bc he had at least 11 more of those scabbards in storage etc etc.
Later saw someone with the Anduril boxed and tied to their back. Shook my head, if they only knew they'd paid double... But you can't save them all I guess.
The next year they had the High Elven Shield... that was heart breaking. So many cracks and hairline fractures I didn't even bother to look at the price tag... They should abandon the "feel free to look with your hands" slogan they have there.

Yeah, I hear ya. These things are all over the map cuz... humans?

Your mention of the shield does make me wonder how many of these collectibles overall are still in existence? Of course UC keeps pumping them out, but especially with LE items like that shield, it makes you think, once you factor in defective returns, lost or broken items by the owner, neglected, etc, what the percentage actually is that is still out there in the hands of collectors and in proper display quality? When we hear of a complete run of 5000 pieces, are we thinking there's only really 4500 still around? 4000? Less? Would be a fascinating (albeit impossible) statistic to nail down.
This Space for Rent

Olorin, thank you again for helping me recover my account!
Also, I would like to thank Kit and all you wanderful people here for making Guthwine a reality!
I eagerly await for it to arrive.

Théodred's sword would be nice to complete Rohan sword collection. As I understood it wouldn't be a problem for UC to make it cost wise since it is almost identical to Éowyn's sword so I hope UC will give it a try.

Faramir's sword would be epic to have. Don't know why but it is one of my favorite swords.

And lastly, Denetor's sword remains a dream for me. I know that it had almost no screen time and that the engraving on the pommel is a little bit slopy but I like it's design and still have hope UC will make it one day :-)

Val, JJByers, sorry guys for barging into your discussion. I'm a slow typer and was typing while you continued your discussion.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

JJByers wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 am Does this mean United will finish out the Mirkwood helms? I recall Jamie mentioning it wasn't a complete run or something months ago.
I don't have access to the production numbers, so I have no idea if they finished the Mirkwood helm edition. There is no current production going that I know of. The only Hobbit helm run I know about is the Rivendell helm.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:41 am
EagleFriend wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:11 am Also, I would like to thank Kit and all you wanderful people here for making Guthwine a reality!
I just hope we actually get them this century! They have been done for several months now.
:-D
After more than a decade of hopping and waiting, I really don't mind being patient a few more months :-)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:41 am
EagleFriend wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:11 am Also, I would like to thank Kit and all you wanderful people here for making Guthwine a reality!
I just hope we actually get them this century! They have been done for several months now.
Safe to assume Covid and port entry is the hold up there perhaps? I got confused on Guthwine as when talking to other UC personnel they mentioned they were still waiting on a prototype (this was about a month ago) so I assumed something got botched maybe. Idk. Just glad United is making good on the license now really. If it takes longer, more time to save up for the purchase.

@EagleFriend welcome back. I was in self exile for some time myself lol. Not due to passwords though.

JJByers wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:04 am Safe to assume Covid and port entry is the hold up there perhaps?
Not exactly. The US lockdowns and Covid $$$ made Christmas sales happen about 6 months early for the knife industry, and I assume most big companies that sell over the internet. Everyone scrambled to get replacement production in for Christmas after they were cleaned out over the Summer. That made massive shipping container shortage and shipping backlog delay that is still happening.
JJByers wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:04 am I got confused on Guthwine as when talking to other UC personnel they mentioned they were still waiting on a prototype (this was about a month ago) so I assumed something got botched maybe.
No, I approved the prototype back around August or September and they went into production after that. The delay has been shipping.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm
Ronin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:29 pm Seeing the Anduril scabbard back in stock at Budk gives me hope the Ranger sword scabbard among others will be back as well.
Anduril has always been the #1 selling LOTR sword, so that scabbard will probably continue to be reissued every few years for the new collectors. I saw the LOTR pages from the 2021 catalog last week and the Strider scabbard is not in there, so as far as I know if it not in the schedule to be reissued.
Ah bummer. Well, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before UC decides to reissue it. If the second hand market is any indication, there's a pretty high demand for them. It's a great looking combo the Strider sword and scabbard. Even though I'd say Anduril will always be my favorite, the Strider sword grew on me a lot. It's probably the sword I would carry if I carried a sword.

Interesting about Theodred's sword. Seems like a no brainer at this point.

Thanks for the insight as always, Kit.

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 am
JJByers wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:04 am Safe to assume Covid and port entry is the hold up there perhaps?
Not exactly. The US lockdowns and Covid $$$ made Christmas sales happen about 6 months early for the knife industry, and I assume most big companies that sell over the internet. Everyone scrambled to get replacement production in for Christmas after they were cleaned out over the Summer. That made massive shipping container shortage and shipping backlog delay that is still happening.
JJByers wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:04 am I got confused on Guthwine as when talking to other UC personnel they mentioned they were still waiting on a prototype (this was about a month ago) so I assumed something got botched maybe.
No, I approved the prototype back around August or September and they went into production after that. The delay has been shipping.
Like many others on this forum I have been waiting a looooooong time for Guthwine..
And unlike many others I am of *ahem* retirement age (and that is all I'm going to say about that) so I am particularly anxious to get this sword ---both the Indy version and the UC version--- sooner rather than later.
The pic in the posts about Theodred's sword kind of struck at the heart of the matter, so to speak....

I finally get Guthwine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:52 am
Nasnandos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 am
Like many others on this forum I have been waiting a looooooong time for Guthwine..
And unlike many others I am of *ahem* retirement age (and that is all I'm going to say about that) so I am particularly anxious to get this sword ---both the Indy version and the UC version--- sooner rather than later.
The pic in the posts about Theodred's sword kind of struck at the heart of the matter, so to speak....

I finally get Guthwine.jpg
Hahahaha

Indy's run is going on what, six years now? That's gotta be a record for a prop replica run.

Hi Kit,

It's been mentioned by more than a few folks elsewhere that should UC hopefully decide to go ahead with Theodred's sword, that a neat way to differentiate it a bit more from Eowyn's sword would be to add some battle-damage, or barring that, just an additional patina of wear. The reason is that simply changing the leather colour and having a bit of green on the hilt components won't set it apart enough and will make it look like a case of "Hey, look at this sword that you can get in different colours - when is the blue one coming out?"

I know the serious collectors would never think that, but battle-damage would add to the blade's story as that would have been the condition it was found in at the Fords of Isen where Theodred fought his last. Anyway, just a suggestion, and do you feel UC would be at all receptive to the idea or is it likely they want to keep this one has simple and as low-cost as possible?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 pm Hi Kit,
.... The reason is that simply changing the leather colour and having a bit of green on the hilt components won't set it apart enough and will make it look like a case of "Hey, look at this sword that you can get in different colours - when is the blue one coming out?"

I know the serious collectors would never think that,....
Well, sir, I would advise you to stick to speaking for yourself, if you don't mind. :club:
I for one am extremely anxious to know when the salmon pink version will be making its debut. :btr:

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:49 am The Ringwraith and Witch-king swords are the two that I know for sure will be reissued later this year. There are 13 or 14 different LOTR reissue swords currently in the line, plus 3 or 4 Hobbit swords.
I'm so relieved to hear that! I've been looking for a Ringwraith sword for a decade at this point, after the disaster with JustinTD I had no luck finding one for an affordable price.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Idril wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am Agreeing with Val here. I would love the Theodred sword to be battle damaged- like it was picked up off the field.

I guess if it doesn’t happen I will have my first project to change mine.
You have two Swords of Eowyn?

It's been mentioned by more than a few folks elsewhere that should UC hopefully decide to go ahead with Theodred's sword, that a neat way to differentiate it a bit more from Eowyn's sword would be to add some battle-damage, or barring that, just an additional patina of wear. The reason is that simply changing the leather colour and having a bit of green on the hilt components won't set it apart enough and will make it look like a case of "Hey, look at this sword that you can get in different colours - when is the blue one coming out?"
Interesting idea...
Though I'm undecided.

On the one hand making "aged" or "battle scarred" Theodred's sword would differentiate it from Eowyn's sword even further.

On the other hand that "aged" or "battle scarred" look could make Theodred's sword stand out too much from the rest of the swords since they have that "new" look.

Also, if the green leather on the grip and bits of green on the pommel and cross guard without the "aged" look could make Theodred's sword seem like Eowyn's green sword, then making it "aged" and "battle scarred" could just make it seem like Eowyn's sword in very bad condition..with strong green patina on the metal parts :crazy2:

So..for now I'm 51% in favor of the "new" look of Theodred's sword (like the other UC standard LOTR swords).

I hear ya, and I'm of two minds on this as well. To date, UC has only really aged (somewhat) the three MC swords, plus the Nazgul blades and the Uruk-hai sword. Applying that same process to Theodred's sword would result in a blade that stands out from the norm, especially if you don't have those other swords in your collection. I remember way, way back when UC would regularly release a ton of photos of movie blades as a possibility of things to make, and one of the swords that kept showing up was the old generic Rohirrim blade that we saw the soldiers using at Helm's Deep - I think it's the same one that Hama's son gets handed and Aragorn says it's a good blade. All the images of that sword showed a blade that was pitted, chipped, and had a serious patina over it. I always told myself I wouldn't buy it because though it would be authentic-looking and screen accurate, it would look completely out of place among the shiny swords like Glamdring, Herugrim, and Anduril. :huh:
This Space for Rent

You have said it better than I did :)
Regrettably I don't have any of the aged swords in my collection. I had to be very conservative when deciding what to include in the collection. From where I'm from, these swords can cost up to 500€. Many middlemen plus transport plus customs... :crazy2:
So I decided to include only the most important and mainly standard/shiny swords :embarasse Nothing wrong with standard ones, I absolutely love them but it would be nice to have them all :crazy:

Of course, it remains to be seen what (if anything) comes out of Theodred's sword since Kit only mentioned it as a vague possibility. :)

I can see your point on the fact that it would be an ‘eye sore’ to some extent. But for me that is what makes it the way to go. The real lovers of the story can embrace it as being more authentic.

‘This one picked up off the battlefield’.

‘This one belonged to Theodred who fell defending the Mark’.

Something to honour the sacrifice. Something to look at and acknowledge the cost of war. Not shiny never used swords hanging in a row like a sword shop.

For me it makes the story more real but obviously just my humble opinion that counts for nothing except in my home.

Deimos wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 pm
Idril wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am Agreeing with Val here. I would love the Theodred sword to be battle damaged- like it was picked up off the field.

I guess if it doesn’t happen I will have my first project to change mine.
You have two Swords of Eowyn?
No. And I wouldn’t bother to change one to Theodred’s sword. But if United do Theodred’s sword without ageing then I will age it.

I bought Andrew H’s Shards because he had aged his and it hangs proudly beside Narsil - never cleaned from that day to this. I never clean any of the bad guys weapons either. So you can see why I would like Theodred’s sword to be more like coming from the battle than the armoury.

I know the serious collectors would never think that, but battle-damage would add to the blade's story as that would have been the condition it was found in at the Fords of Isen where Theodred fought his last. Anyway, just a suggestion, and do you feel UC would be at all receptive to the idea or is it likely they want to keep this one has simple and as low-cost as possible?
The prop is very aged and dirty, so that is something I always wanted to do with this one, if it actually gets made. Those swords are made in UC's old factory in Taiwan though. They are just a sword factory and have zero skill in doing the type of aging that the prop has, so they would have to be taught how to do it. In my experience that has only worked successfully a few times, and I would rather have no aging at all than bad aging. Entirely corroded metal aging like the RW, WK swords is rather simple, since most of the surface is covered and can be etched into the molds and onto the blades. That's not the case with the aging on the Theodred sword, which is all paint effects and paint washes.
KRDS

Thanks, Kit. Not the answer some were hoping for, but at least there is agreement on your part that this would be the sword's preferred look rather the standard shiny new look. I agree in that I too would prefer a sword with no aging to one that has it but is done badly. I guess for now we wait and see if it gets made at all, then worry about the finish later.
This Space for Rent

There was a time when I was an 'official product' only snob, but that phase quickly passed when the licensed companies were not filling certain gaps, and a lot of the custom work was such high quality. I got my Boromir bracers from Kropserkel years ago and haven't looked back since. I probably wouldn't rebuy, much like I passed over UC's Eomer helm in favour of Thranduil's version.
This Space for Rent

No, it's just something that came up yesterday in a conversation with UC. I never bought any of the custom versions myself, as none of them were very accurate to the prop shapes or colors, but I always wanted an accurate set. UC was not allowed to make them back when the original license was in place because they were considered "clothing". They had already given that license to MR, but UC could make them now if they wanted to.

I ran this idea by a few other long time and new LOTR collectors I know and the response was kind of meh.
KRDS

Ronin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 pm I'd be interested. I've always wanted a set of those.

What about the Arkenstone? Any interest from UC there?
Are you familiar with John Lowe's work?

He makes a round "Dreamsphere" that (the first time I saw it about 5 years ago) reminded me of the Book version of the Arkenstone.
I know he didn't originally intend that, but that is the way things turned out.
Later, at the urging of the (I think) Flame of Udun crowd, he made the Dreamsphere irregularly shaped to resemble the Arkenstone from the movie.

For copyright/licensing reasons he can't call them "Arkenstones" , so the round one is the Dreamsphere and the irregulalrly shaped one is called the Heart Stone as in "Heart of the Mountain"
He makes a stand for the Heart Stone, which I guess could be used for the Round one also .
You can see them both: Book Arkenstone, Movie Arkenstone

I have the Round (book version ) one. I also have his Blue Seeing Stone (the movie Palantir) and his Silmarils. The Sils, like his Blue Palantir, are absolutely phenomenal.

I made a stand for my Sils:
Sil Stand 1.JPG
Sil Stand 1a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deimos wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:34 pm
Ronin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 pm I'd be interested. I've always wanted a set of those.

He makes a round "Dreamsphere" that (the first time I saw it about 5 years ago) reminded me of the Book version of the Arkenstone.
Later, at the urging of the (I think) Flame of Udun crowd, he made the Dreamsphere irregularly shaped to resemble the Arkenstone from the movie.

For copyright/licensing reasons he can't call them "Arkenstones" , so the round one is the Dreamsphere and the irregulalrly shaped one is called the Heart Stone as in "Heart of the Mountain"
He makes a stand for the Heart Stone, which I guess could be used for the Round one also .

I have the Round (book version ) one. I also have his Blue Seeing Stone (the movie Palantir) and his Silmarils. The Sils, like his Blue Palantir, are absolutely phenomenal.
Ah yes! I learned about his work thanks to JJByers' video showcasing it. I had considered ordering one but it got pushed to the back burner in favor of some other prop replica pursuits at the time. The last few posts of this thread got me wondering which new replicas I'd like to see UC do and the Arkenstone came to mind. You've reminded me of John's work though which is quite outstanding and maybe time for me to 're'-pursue.

Deimos wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:34 pm

I made a stand for my Sils:
Sil Stand 1.JPG
Sil Stand 1a.JPG
I love that stand.

Ronin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:04 pm ....I love that stand.
Thank you. :cheers:

I ended up sending that stand to John so he could showcase the Sils at a Tolkien Society Convention (August 2017)
So I made myself another one.

Also, In my post I messed up the links to John's website..... they should work now.

UC's license is primarily weapons and arms, so that's really not something that fits. If only Bilbo had thrown it at Smaug...then we could say he used it as a weapon :)

Actually, WB would probably allow it, but there is no interest in any new Hobbit replicas at the moment.
KRDS

So Drew mentioned to some of my customer's about a Museum Edition of Anduril being in design for next year. Few questions:

1. Is this true?
2. Any other museum stuff coming out?
3. Are we going to do heavy QA so it doesn't come out horrible like the ME Glamdring?
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:31 pm 3. I would assume the quality control would be no different than anything else they do.

What came out horrible with the MC Glamdring?
lol... not exactly a ringing endorsement. :laugh:

All kidding aside, Kit, I never bought one, but I recall the complaints were that the runes on the guard were backwards, and the hilt leather stiching was on the opposite side of the blade stamp, leaving no clean side to display. Not sure if that affected the whole product run or or if it was just some.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:15 pm
Nasnandos wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:31 pm 3. I would assume the quality control would be no different than anything else they do.

What came out horrible with the MC Glamdring?
lol... not exactly a ringing endorsement. :laugh:

All kidding aside, Kit, I never bought one, but I recall the complaints were that the runes on the guard were backwards, and the hilt leather stiching was on the opposite side of the blade stamp, leaving no clean side to display. Not sure if that affected the whole product run or or if it was just some.
Yes, I was mainly referring to the runes being backwards. $800-$1500 for an inaccurate prop? No thank you!
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

The reversed order of the runes on one side of the guard was not a QC issue. That was in the casting molds, and intentional, as I have talked about here before. Not my preference, but it's what UC and Marto wanted to do. Weta did the same with the Master Swordsmith Glamdring. Technically it was "film prop accurate."

I'm sure there were some that had the stitch side of the grip reversed, just as there were on nearly all the LOTR swords. That's not an issue I remember hearing about, but I do remember seeing a few with warped blades from the tempering. That's when I learned Marto did not use spring steel or harden the blades properly. Or anything else internally, for that matter. They looked fairly good from the outside though.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:56 am The reversed order of the runes on one side of the guard was not a QC issue. That was in the casting molds, and intentional, as I have talked about here before. Not my preference, but it's what UC and Marto wanted to do. Weta did the same with the Master Swordsmith Glamdring. Technically it was "film prop accurate."
Sorry for needing a refresher on the memory, but why was it intentional? Was it because the original prop had the error and they wanted to stay true to that? It's fascinating how something that could only have been a mistake then gets propagated and intentionally becomes 'canon' despite it being still being clearly wrong. I guess I could understand UC and Marto going down that road to try and duplicate the prop in every way, right down to the error, but why wasn't that decision also made on the regular Glamdring? I'm guessing you worked on that one, so you presented UC with the runes reading the right way?

I'm also astonished to learn (probably already knew but have since forgotten) that the MSSC Glamdring follows this weird tradition of perpetuating a mistake. For such an expensive piece, I can't fathom why Peter Lyon wouldn't want a chance to finally correct that and present fans with the way the sword was truly meant to look. Strange. :huh:
This Space for Rent

My memory is fading on this stuff too, but as I recall, the first UC replica was based on a prop we were loaned during filming. I think that was a stunt prop, with the runes placed as on the UC original. We also had prop photos of the hero prop that had the runes reversed. It was decided to make the MC version as much like hero prop as possible. Or maybe the original had them reversed, and the prop photos did not. I can't remember now, but I was not thrilled with the idea since I knew how they were intended to read.

I assume Weta did their Master Swordsmith version this way to make it prop accurate too, assuming they actually made it just like the photos on their website.

KRDS

Not to chase an old issue too much, but do you suppose this happened because the reference photos were flipped? I know this is done in filming a lot, and it could happen unintentionally even if it's just a specific photo of a prop that is not actually being used in a scene at the moment.

Having said that, if you actually had a physical prop in your hands and the runes were indeed reversed, then that's incontrovertible proof right there that the mistake existed in actual form at one point, and then got passed down to the replicas. Still find it strange that Lyon would not be aware of this, and if he was, that he would still have it done the wrong way. I bet David Salo would like to have words with him if that's the case. :crazy:
This Space for Rent

Flipped, as in reversed backwards? No, the runes read correct in the prop photos and on both the UC MC and Weta MS Glamdrings. Nothing is backwards. It's just the left and right side rune groups that were swapped compared to the stunt prop I had. The rune groups were not intended to read as one sentence left to right, so it does not read wrong either way.

The rune group on the left names Glamdring foe of Morgoth's realm, hammer to the Orcs. The group on the right says it is wielded by Turgon, King of Gondolin. The Salo translation I was given by Weta has that order reversed, as do the props used in TTT, ROTK, and The Hobbit.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”