Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 am Haldir's sword is a lot like Hadafang and have a wood handle unlike the HEW sword right?
Yes, basically the same style construction as Hadhafang, with a wood grip and metal pommel. Although the cost to make Hadhafang has skyrocketed because of that grip, so I'm not sure it's viable anymore. It may end up being a composite, like the current Sting and Tauriel knife grips, if it ever happens.
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 am And the original Sauron sword is massive - even at Anduril size it would be huge!
It was never going to be movie scale. My prop is actor scale, 62." 53-54" will still be huge!
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 am
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:06 am I think the polyresin version was a guess based upon the blade design not being able to made the same and that there has already been a polyresin sword (Thorin regal sword) and gave it as an option. Speculations run wild on other forums, you know hopes and dreams and a small dose of reason sometimes kicks in.
Thorin's Regal sword was more of a fantasy weapon than a sword or anything in LOTR. UC only made it in poly because the blade, being almost an inch thick, could not made of steel in production. Even the prop was not made of steel, for a reason. It was just Urethane, as were most of the Dwarven weapons.

The LOTR swords were designed built more like real swords, and were made with real steel blades. They would be be much too thin to do in poly, and I'm not sure what the point would be vs steel. A poly blade would warp in casting and would have horrible breakage issues because they are long and only around 1/4" thick.
I love the Haldir sword but want Faramir more than anything. I almost bought that crappy prop version in an auction.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:38 am
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 am Haldir's sword is a lot like Hadafang and have a wood handle unlike the HEW sword right?
Yes, basically the same style construction as Hadhafang, with a wood grip and metal pommel. Although the cost to make Hadhafang has skyrocketed because of that grip, so I'm not sure it's viable anymore. It may end up being a composite, like the current Sting and Tauriel knife grips, if it ever happens.
I've herd about the composite grips for Sting, but don't think I have seen any. I know that some of the thin wood handle parts are prone to cracking over time (both my Hadafang and Striders knife do).

Is there a noticeable difference in the finish, meaning does it look like finished wood or plastic? I'm sure due to consistency, costs of production it is the way to go.

I also echo Rev's desire for Faramir's sword over Haldir's, but any new LOTR steel is "most welcome".

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:02 am I've herd about the composite grips for Sting, but don't think I have seen any. I know that some of the thin wood handle parts are prone to cracking over time (both my Hadafang and Striders knife do).

Is there a noticeable difference in the finish, meaning does it look like finished wood or plastic? I'm sure due to consistency, costs of production it is the way to go.
I barley noticed a difference with Sting, but that was a dark wood color to begin with and the vine hides a lot of it. I'm not sure it would work as well with something bright like the Legolas knives, or a larger handle like on the Haldir sword. The wood grain is printed on water transfer paper, wet wrapped, then clear coated, so it really depends on how well that process is done and how good the printing art is. The LOTR plaques are done the same way. The wood grain on those is a printed water transfer.
KRDS

Thank you for the Eomer helm input guys. I wasn't told to be hush hush about it but UC sent me one to do a product overview video with. I wanted something to put there in case anyone wondered what it said.
Not gonna get my hopes up to be sent more merch but it does make creating YouTube content easier lol. As my collecting budget pretty much is gone in lue of our upcoming wedding and home renovations.
Admittedly I bought the horn, but that video put me on the radar I think.
I discovered I can no longer blow a horn properly anymore lol. Personally I think the strap on it is fine, I'm not gonna swap it out. The Eomer helm is nice... the hair goes everywhere though. I rolled and put a band on it. It wasn't as glossy as I expected. Drew said the next batch would be duller, but, the brass paint looked weathered, has dark splotches. The steel does have a... Beskar look to it. But I like it.
@RevAnakin do you have anymore Eowyn swords? ... I missed out and was trying to scrounge the $$$ up and they sold out. Bummer.

JJByers wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:18 pm Thank you for the Eomer helm input guys. I wasn't told to be hush hush about it but UC sent me one to do a product overview video with. I wanted something to put there in case anyone wondered what it said.
Not gonna get my hopes up to be sent more merch but it does make creating YouTube content easier lol. As my collecting budget pretty much is gone in lue of our upcoming wedding and home renovations.
Admittedly I bought the horn, but that video put me on the radar I think.
I discovered I can no longer blow a horn properly anymore lol. Personally I think the strap on it is fine, I'm not gonna swap it out. The Eomer helm is nice... the hair goes everywhere though. I rolled and put a band on it. It wasn't as glossy as I expected. Drew said the next batch would be duller, but, the brass paint looked weathered, has dark splotches. The steel does have a... Beskar look to it. But I like it.
@RevAnakin do you have anymore Eowyn swords? ... I missed out and was trying to scrounge the $$$ up and they sold out. Bummer.
I should have an extra, message me and I'll see what happens when I organize them all this week.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Thought it might be ;)

I've wondered for a while - do you think UC could ever change the manufacturing to create hollow grinds rather than flat grinds? I assume its more difficult (therefore more expensive) but do you think we'll ever see a more premium line with hollow ground blades? I'd be all over that, even if they were still wall hangers!

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 am
Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:40 am kit, is that the carbon steel Anduril proto I see there? the one you said the factory had knocked together?
Correct!

I replaced my tail on the Eomer helm with white horse hair. Here is the link to where I bought it and the 23"-25" length.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/545419528/ ... =975911385

Also swapped out the strap on the horn with the braided leather horse rein and made new thicker rings. Did some additional painting of the silver parts, as the sides were all still the darker brass color. Did a very light weathering pass with some watered down black/brown acrylic paint and then a final touch of silver rub'n'buff on the mouth piece and some of the other silver parts.

N2darkness wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:52 am I replaced my tail on the Eomer helm with white horse hair. Here is the link to where I bought it and the 23"-25" length.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/545419528/ ... =975911385

Also swapped out the strap on the horn with the braided leather horse rein and made new thicker rings. Did some additional painting of the silver parts, as the sides were all still the darker brass color. Did a very light weathering pass with some watered down black/brown acrylic paint and then a final touch of silver rub'n'buff on the mouth piece and some of the other silver parts.
Beautifully done! I just got my shipment of Horns in and people have cancelled so I have some extra ready to ship!

N2darkness wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:12 am
Deimos wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:21 am @N2....So how does it sound? Or haven't you winded it yet?
It makes a sound, but I can't make it resemble anything like the movie and all I've succeeded in was scarring the cats!
As I've mentioned before, I'm positive that what we hear in the movie was added in with post-production sound effects. Who knows, maybe Sean Bean can actually blow a real mean oxen horn, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking PJ would leave it to chance as to whatever sound would be coming out of that thing on shooting day.

I did hear Kit blowing it on the clip that he posted, so it is certainly possible to come very close with this replica, but again, I think it would take an expert to replicate the sound of the one in the movie.
This Space for Rent

For those of you that have the horn, it seems to sound closest to the film horn when blowing into it from the corner of your mouth. It's much easier to purse the lips together and make the buzzing sound there than the middle of your lips. It's easier to do the short bursts like Boromir did too.
Valkrist wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:18 pm another one I heard recently when it comes to sounding this horn: wet farts. :crazy2:
Yeah, I suppose that fits some of the sounds I have heard too.
KRDS

Kit,

Random question again, but I have a new customer asking which swords are full-tang vs. tail-tang construction.

Of the full sized swords, I thought ONLY Strider and HEWS were full tang and everything else is tail. Is this true? Neither UC and nor BUDK wholesale knows...

The term "full tang" has been so bastardized that it is meaningless these days. I think what people mean to ask is which swords have a full-length tang, meaning the tang extends all the way to the end of the pommel in one piece and is peened on the end. None of them are. Nearly all have a threaded bar rat tail welded onto the end of the tang that the pommel nut is screwed onto. The only difference from sword to sword is how long the tang extends into the handle before the bar is welded on, which varied depending on the sword design and length of the blade. Some tangs run nearly all the way to the pommel, like Strider's ranger sword. Some run about 3/4 length into the handle, like Glamdring. Some only run about halfway, like Anduril.

That said, it's a moot point with a collectible display sword. Sure, some of those LOTR swords can, and have held up well to abuse - some extremely well - but they are not designed or made to be battle ready, functional swords. You should educate your customers to that fact.

The HEWS is one of the few oddballs, in that the handle scales are pinned to the tang through the sides, like a katana. Its tang runs nearly the whole length inside the handle so there is no tail on the end. I think the original runs of the Ranger sword had a one piece tang, without the welded tail, but I'm not sure about the reissues. Neither were functional swords though.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:56 am The term "full tang" has been so bastardized that it is meaningless these days. I think what people mean to ask is which swords have a full-length tang, meaning the tang extends all the way to the end of the pommel in one piece and is peened on the end. None of them are. Nearly all have a threaded bar rat tail welded onto the end of the tang that the pommel nut is screwed onto. The only difference from sword to sword is how long the tang extends into the handle before the bar is welded on, which varied depending on the sword design and length of the blade. Some tangs run nearly all the way to the pommel, like Strider's ranger sword. Some run about 3/4 length into the handle, like Glamdring. Some only run about halfway, like Anduril.

That said, it's a moot point with a collectible display sword. Sure, some of those LOTR swords can, and have held up well to abuse - some extremely well - but they are not designed or made to be battle ready, functional swords. You should educate your customers to that fact.

The HEWS is one of the few oddballs, in that the handle scales are pinned to the tang through the sides, like a katana. Its tang runs nearly the whole length inside the handle so there is no tail on the end. I think the original runs of the Ranger sword had a one piece tang, without the welded tail, but I'm not sure about the reissues. Neither were functional swords though.
Absolutely, these are 420 stainless to begin with. Way too brittle and not flexible. You know how a few mishaps spread. I know of people snapping their Anduril just from screws coming out of the wall and this particular customer is worried about that. No actual abuse.

RevAnakin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:58 am Absolutely, these are 420 stainless to begin with. Way too brittle and not flexible. You know how a few mishaps spread. I know of people snapping their Anduril just from screws coming out of the wall and this particular customer is worried about that. No actual abuse.
Anduril is probably the worst for the pommel snapping off issue. Usually from dropping it or people attempting to use it to chop while holding the lower half of the handle. I still get emails a few times a year from people asking how they can fix them.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 am
RevAnakin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:58 am Absolutely, these are 420 stainless to begin with. Way too brittle and not flexible. You know how a few mishaps spread. I know of people snapping their Anduril just from screws coming out of the wall and this particular customer is worried about that. No actual abuse.
Anduril is probably the worst for the pommel snapping off issue. Usually from dropping it or people attempting to use it to chop while holding the lower half of the handle. I still get emails a few times a year from people asking how they can fix them.
Thank you sooooo much!

Alright ppl you heard it here! HEWS is good to go, sharpen'em up!! Just kidding just kidding. That's the one comment(s) I've taken to deleting on YT... "Cheap sword, poor materials, can't cut with it, waste of money." I used to stress theyre for display, why do you NEED to stress its functionality there Galahad, who you challenging? Bc odds are they will bring a gun to the knife fight lol.
I also hate SLO. (Sword Like Object) being used for display swords because they aren't functional. As, in a joking convo with LE, was told if you used your "fake sword" on someone, the report gets filed as a sword, not a sword like object. So.... either way, itsa sword in the eyes of the law lol.

Been too quiet in here...

With that in mind there's been discussion over at FOU about how to best convert Eowyn's sword to Theodord's sword. As far as I can see the only difference is the color of the leather wrap on the handle and some color in the horse heads of the cross guard. Possibly some color in the pommel as well. What do you think, Kit? Seems like it would be easy changes to make if UC wanted to give us a small Theodred run.

Ronin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:29 pm Seeing the Anduril scabbard back in stock at Budk gives me hope the Ranger sword scabbard among others will be back as well.
Anduril has always been the #1 selling LOTR sword, so that scabbard will probably continue to be reissued every few years for the new collectors. I saw the LOTR pages from the 2021 catalog last week and the Strider scabbard is not in there, so as far as I know if it not in the schedule to be reissued.
KRDS

Ronin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:45 pm Been too quiet in here...

With that in mind there's been discussion over at FOU about how to best convert Eowyn's sword to Theodord's sword. As far as I can see the only difference is the color of the leather wrap on the handle and some color in the horse heads of the cross guard. Possibly some color in the pommel as well. What do you think, Kit? Seems like it would be easy changes to make if UC wanted to give us a small Theodred run.
There is green enamel on both the guard and pommel in specific places.

When United talked about reissuing the Eowyn sword last May I showed them the Theodred prop photos and suggested they do a small run at the same time. I spec'd it out and made up silk screen art for the display many years ago, so they have what they need to go. They wanted to see how the Eowyn swords sold first, and they sold so well that another run is being made. The Eomer sword already sold out too, so I think chances are looking better for the Theodred version. Nothing is confirmed yet though. Keeping my fingers crossed.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:23 pm
Ronin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:45 pm Been too quiet in here...

There is green enamel on both the guard and pommel in specific places.

When United talked about reissuing the Eowyn sword last May I showed them the Theodred prop photos and suggested they do a small run at the same time. I spec'd it out and made up silk screen art for the display many years ago, so they have what they need to go. They wanted to see how the Eowyn swords sold first, and they sold so well that another run is being made. The Eomer sword already sold out too, so I think chances are looking better for the Theodred version. Nothing is confirmed yet though. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Are the 3 metal rings in the handle silver color as well and not brass like Eowyn's?
I kept going back and forth about ordering one to do the Theodred version, but I have a hard time justifying the wall space for a sword that has no screen time. You can tell he's holding a sword as they carry him to his grave, but you can't make out anything else. Unless it is shown somewhere else that I don't remember.
As much I as want United to continue making new LOTR items, I would like pieces that you can recognize. Even if they were just generic Rohan or Gondor infantry swords.

Valkrist wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:41 pm I'm with N2 on this one, and I know Buckeye will scream bloody murder, but I'd prefer seeing UC bringing us Faramir's or Haldir's swords versus Theodred's. Of course, it's a tough argument to make to UC's bottom line: Theodred's sword, with Kit's part already done, has zero required in terms of the new tooling required.
Truth be told, I want them all. :crazy: I actually agree that pieces like Denethor's sword, Faramir's sword, or Grima's dagger should be made before Theodred's sword, which was never seen on screen.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

It's not a zero sum game. Since there is no tooling required to make it, it does not take away from available tooling funds allocated for the four new steel prop replicas I am working on for United. It's just inventory dollars at that point. The new swords would be a year or more apart, so even that is a non issue.
Buckeye wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 am Truth be told, I want them all. :crazy: I actually agree that pieces like Denethor's sword, Faramir's sword, or Grima's dagger should be made before Theodred's sword, which was never seen on screen.
Theodred's sword was seen briefly in the extended TTT, which is the only version I watch. Denethor's sword was not seen on screen, so it falls into the unused Weta prop replica category, like the Sauron sword, and there is far more interest in that.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:37 am It's not a zero sum game. Since there is no tooling required to make it, it does not take away from available tooling funds allocated for the four new steel prop replicas I am working on for United. It's just inventory dollars at that point. The new swords would be a year or more apart, so even that is a non issue.
Buckeye wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 am Truth be told, I want them all. :crazy: I actually agree that pieces like Denethor's sword, Faramir's sword, or Grima's dagger should be made before Theodred's sword, which was never seen on screen.
Theodred's sword was seen briefly in the extended TTT, which is the only version I watch. Denethor's sword was not seen on screen, so it falls into the unused Weta prop replica category, like the Sauron sword, and there is far more interest in that.
Awesome to know more new items are in the works!

Denethor's sword has quite a few scenes actually. He's wearing it when the siege begins and Gandalf wacks him as well as when he takes Faramir to the crypts.

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:49 am The Ringwraith and Witch-king swords are the two that I know for sure will be reissued later this year. There are 13 or 14 different LOTR reissue swords currently in the line, plus 3 or 4 Hobbit swords.
Kit, you also referred to four new swords you are working on for UC. Are these actually new, never-before seen replicas, or re-releases like the ones you just referenced? If the former, are you allowed to disclose what they are? Are the new swords ME-license related, or something else, like Dune?
This Space for Rent

Boromir's dagger, fer shure fer shure.
Have to think about Faramir's sword; and maybe, just maybe I'd go for a carbon steel Anduril.
And Sauron and anything associated with him can go to the devil....oh wait, he already has. :lol:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Bard's sword and Thorin's Regal sword are the only 2 I wasn't able to recover from my collection. Granted Bard's is an easy fix. But when you have to hunt amongst price gougers sometimes you save what you have in the event you cave and become willing to pay a little more lol.
Had one guy asking $600, told'em I would do $300. He auctioned it on eBay after declining. Come find out it sold for $286... Like, guess you beg folks to take money now lol. May buy a foam one and repaint it to look like United's ver. We'll see.
Does this mean United will finish out the Mirkwood helms? I recall Jamie mentioning it wasn't a complete run or something months ago.

JJByers wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:42 am Also, anyone wanna talk about the crazy Anduril auction that ended on eBay?! Lol. Standard BUDK Anduril, not LE. Sold, for $1000+... I know people get whacky when BUDK sells out of something but... D@mn. Really lol. Ebay is wild with prices/pricing sometimes... Alot of the time... Almost all the time.
It's like they always say on Pawn Stars, ultimately these things are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. The price is always subjective—and subject— to someone's desire to own one of these swords. In cases like this, it comes down to two things: either money is no object and the buyer doesn't care, or the buyer has no clue about the average selling value of a sword like Anduril... or a combination of both things.
This Space for Rent

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”