Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am Flipped, as in reversed backwards? No, the runes read correct in the prop photos and on both the UC MC and Weta MS Glamdrings. Nothing is backwards. It's just the left and right side rune groups that were swapped compared to the stunt prop I had. The rune groups were not intended to read as one sentence left to right, so it does not read wrong either way.

The rune group on the left names Glamdring foe of Morgoth's realm, hammer to the Orcs. The group on the right says it is wielded by Turgon, King of Gondolin. The Salo translation I was given by Weta has that order reversed, as do the props used in TTT, ROTK, and The Hobbit.
Ah, ok... I understand clearly now.

Yes, when I said flipped, I was thinking like a mirror-image, which they do in filming sometimes and then subsequent photos show a reverse image of what was actually shot. This works so long as there's no visible writing onscreen as the viewer is none the wiser, but I could see how small runes on a sword would be missed. I get now what you mean with the two rune groupings merely being swapped, not actually written backwards. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Kit, Drew just dropped the news that the Gimli, Isildur, and Elendil helms are getting rereleases. Can you confirm that they are just closing out the previous run of unreleased LE numbers and these are not new releases like they did with Sauron's helm? I thought they had done this already with Isildur's helm and the Gondor one, but maybe there's still some missing to close out the edition? Also, if these are part of the old runs, which stand style will they come with? The old ones or have you been asked to design new ones?
This Space for Rent

Drew probably just misspoke if he said 're-release'. I thought I had mentioned those here late last year, but it's just a run of another few hundred of the existing editions for each. Most of those helm editions are only around 3/4 complete, so there will probably be another run or two after that, unless LOTR sales die down again. I think the last helm run was 2014 or 2015. For some reason the Gimli helm never got included in the last two runs, so it's about time for that one. As I recall, there is still about 2000 left in the edition.

The High Eleven Warrior helm edition was never completed either, so another run of those may be coming. I don't think the 'new' UC has ever made them.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:40 am Drew probably just misspoke if he said 're-release'. I thought I had mentioned those here late last year, but it's just a run of another few hundred of the existing editions for each. Most of those helm editions are only around 3/4 complete, so there will probably be another run or two after that, unless LOTR sales die down again. I think the last helm run was 2014 or 2015. For some reason the Gimli helm never got included in the last two runs, so it's about time for that one. As I recall, there is still about 2000 left in the edition.

The High Eleven Warrior helm edition was never completed either, so another run of those may be coming. I don't think the 'new' UC has ever made them.
That is good to hear! I am looking forward to the High Elven Helmet, any chance that the Gondorian Infantry Helm will get the same treatment? If Theoden's helm does well, is there any chance that UC does the Numenorean Helmet to round out the last alliance?

I know the Gondorian helm did have a rerun around the time the Isildur one did.

The Numenorean helm would be an insta-buy for me (*laughs at the lack of display place*). The problem is getting past UC's cold feet when it comes to riskier, lesser-seen items like that. They do seem to have found some bravery of late around actual new items, so hopefully the trend continues. :crazy:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:17 pm I know the Gondorian helm did have a rerun around the time the Isildur one did.

The Numenorean helm would be an insta-buy for me (*laughs at the lack of display place*). The problem is getting past UC's cold feet when it comes to riskier, lesser-seen items like that. They do seem to have found some bravery of late around actual new items, so hopefully the trend continues. :crazy:
Which is imo odd as the High Elven Helmet has the same amount of screen time, always thought it was strange that they didn't make one.

TMcLim wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:22 pm
Valkrist wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:17 pm I know the Gondorian helm did have a rerun around the time the Isildur one did.

Which is imo odd as the High Elven Helmet has the same amount of screen time, always thought it was strange that they didn't make one.
Absolutely, and you'll get no argument from me there. For some reason at the time, UC opted to represent Gondor with the infantry helm, which itself was an odd choice as it did not match the Elendil and Isildur helms thematically.

Honestly, I think they probably meant to get around to it one day then... whamo! Bankruptcy. :'(
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:42 pm
TMcLim wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:22 pm

Absolutely, and you'll get no argument from me there. For some reason at the time, UC opted to represent Gondor with the infantry helm, which itself was an odd choice as it did not match the Elendil and Isildur helms thematically.

Honestly, I think they probably meant to get around to it one day then... whamo! Bankruptcy. :'(
You are likely right regarding the bankruptcy, I'm not sad they made the 3rd age Gondorian infantry helm though! I just wish the embossing on it looked more authentic, perhaps they will revisit it with a resin version so that the embossing looks more authentic and not riveted on.

TMcLim wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm any chance that the Gondorian Infantry Helm will get the same treatment? If Theoden's helm does well, is there any chance that UC does the Numenorean Helmet to round out the last alliance?
I know the Infantry helm was discussed but apparently it's not in the schedule. They had some interest in doing the Citadel Guard version instead, so that may come out at some point in the future.

I bring up the Numenorian helm every few years, and did again last month, but there is not much interest in that one for some reason.
KRDS

Ronin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:39 pm Wow, this news might've made my year haha.

Does this mean the crown of King Elessar and, dare I dream, the Witch-King helm may see another run as well?!
I doubt the crown will ever be made by UC.

We talked about the Witch-king helm earlier this year. Only half the edition was made, but the molds are long gone, which means it would not look identical if they continued production. I suggested a new version of just the crown/mask part - without the cloth or dome top we added to the original version. Just the mask and crown, and a new sculptural display. One or the other may happen at some point, but it's not in the current schedule.
KRDS

Ronin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:39 pm Wow, this news might've made my year haha.

Does this mean the crown of King Elessar and, dare I dream, the Witch-King helm may see another run as well?!
I'm infamous for forgetting or misremembering things that Kit has said in the past (and they are legion), but I thought the Wiki helm was complete? It wasn't a high edition to begin with (I have it but too lazy to check right now). Or was it that the molds were lost?

As for the Elessar Crown, I think that one's dead. It's still available from Noble, I think.

Edit: lol... he posted just before and answered. I was half right. :btr:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:13 pm

I'm infamous for forgetting or misremembering things that Kit has said in the past (and they are legion), but I thought the Wiki helm was complete? It wasn't a high edition to begin with (I have it but too lazy to check right now). Or was it that the molds were lost?

As for the Elessar Crown, I think that one's dead. It's still available from Noble, I think.

Edit: lol... he posted just before and answered. I was half right. :btr:
I believe the Noble one is out of production. Was it a limited edition?

Valkrist wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 pm
Ronin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:33 pm
I believe the Noble one is out of production. Was it a limited edition?
I don't believe so, no. If it's out of production, then it must've happened not that long ago. J haven't checked Noble's site in a while but the Crown was one of those items that always seemed to be there.
Do you happen to recall what it retailed for, Val? I may try to chase one down.

Edit: Noble Collection's UK site has it listed for £179.

Nasnandos wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:36 pm
TMcLim wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm any chance that the Gondorian Infantry Helm will get the same treatment? If Theoden's helm does well, is there any chance that UC does the Numenorean Helmet to round out the last alliance?
I know the Infantry helm was discussed but apparently it's not in the schedule. They had some interest in doing the Citadel Guard version instead, so that may come out at some point in the future.

I bring up the Numenorian helm every few years, and did again last month, but there is not much interest in that one for some reason.
Okay thanks! i will do my part to make sure that Theoden's helm sells well, and then perhaps they will change their mind!

Nasnandos wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:11 pm
We talked about the Witch-king helm earlier this year. Only half the edition was made, but the molds are long gone, which means it would not look identical if they continued production. I suggested a new version of just the crown/mask part - without the cloth or dome top we added to the original version. Just the mask and crown, and a new sculptural display. One or the other may happen at some point, but it's not in the current schedule.
Hi Kit, this question was posed about the Witch-king helm and taking into account what you said above:

Wouldn't it be possible for them to source one of the produced helms and make a recast and touch it up to create new molds?

And from me:

There's also the question of whether this new version could even be considered a continuation of the previous unfinished edition, or a new product altogether. I think the lack of the dome, cloth, and new stand would definitely disqualify it from being the same as the old one, essentially meaning that old edition would have to be officially closed out.
This Space for Rent

If an unpainted master turns up, they could continue it, but that's not likely. Recasting is possible, and we discussed it, but there are issues with doing that beyond the fact that the detailing would be inferior to the others from the same edition. It would not just be a second generation as far as casting detail, but the thickness of the paint and any mold distortions from the rubber molds would be in the new recast master, making casting from that even more different from the originals. Rubber molds shrink and deform slightly each time they are used so they can only be used for a few hundred castings before new molds need to be made. Both WK helms I have were probably from well worn molds, as both are slightly shorter and fatter than the master. I think the one UC has is the same way.

Regarding the new version I mentioned - it would have nothing to do with the original limited version.
KRDS

Idril wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:25 am Oh man! I’ve longed for that Citadel guard helm since 2003. Or whenever it was that I first saw it.

I’m guessing it would be resin?
DItto!
And... I really hope not. I've been wanting to get the older metal Gondor helm.. but this would easily take it's place!!

With all the recent news of reissues and new products etc... Has anyone heard any updates on if (and if yes, what) UC will be making anything special for the 20th Anniversary ??
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Jash wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:14 pm Has anyone heard any updates on if (and if yes, what) UC will be making anything special for the 20th Anniversary ??
There were plans for a special sword to be available now, but production and shipping delays last year pushed everything back, so it's not going to happen. At this point it would not be available until late 2021 or 2022, missing the anniversary.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:31 pm
Jash wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:14 pm Has anyone heard any updates on if (and if yes, what) UC will be making anything special for the 20th Anniversary ??
There were plans for a special sword to be available now, but production and shipping delays last year pushed everything back, so it's not going to happen. At this point it would not be available until late 2021 or 2022, missing the anniversary.
That's interesting, was it just a special edition of an already released Fellowship sword or something new? The only thing I could think of would be like a Sting with anodized blue blade or something like that.

Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props

Nasnandos wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:26 pm
Idril wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:25 am Oh man! I’ve longed for that Citadel guard helm since 2003. Or whenever it was that I first saw it.

I’m guessing it would be resin?
No, metal like infantry helm. It's the same helm shell, just different decor. I suppose we could do it in resin, but I don't know why anyone would want that.
Oh where is that happy dance emoji. I certainly wanted it in metal I just was scared to hope. Thanks Kit.

So I contacted Noble Collection about the crown and the Rep said they had no plans to restock it. The France NC website has it in stock but they don't ship to the US. The UK NC website has it on backorder but they also don't ship to the US.

I tried searching a few other sites but no luck on shipping stateside. There's a few listings on ebay but they're a little more expensive than I believe I can find them for elsewhere as of this time.

If any of you good people find it somewhere please shoot me a private message (so as not to derail this thread any further :) ).

Cheers,
Ron

Back to the topics at hand, I would say a new but non-continuation of the previous Witch-King helm is better than no helm. And I would vote for keeping the dome and cloth.

Kit, were the UC WK helm molds made from a screen used one? (Sorry if this has been asked or is known already)

Ronin, you could always ask any of the helpful members of our community here and at FoU that live in Europe if they would arrange to order one for you and then personally ship it to the US. I know it sucks to pay for shipping twice, but if you find someone willing to do it within the UK or the EU for France, it would be quite cheap as the box is not that large or heavy. Just a thought.j
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 am Ronin, you could always ask any of the helpful members of our community here and at FoU that live in Europe if they would arrange to order one for you and then personally ship it to the US. I know it sucks to pay for shipping twice, but if you find someone willing to do it within the UK or the EU for France, it would be quite cheap as the box is not that large or heavy. Just a thought.j
Thanks, Val. I actually considered that as a plan B option if I don't end up finding it elsewhere :thumbs_up .

I've been watching video reviews of the crown online. It's a really nice piece. And made from a mold of the production made crown. Not quite sure how I overlooked it before. :huh:

On a side note, now I finally understand the frustration others have trying to obtain US items that don't ship internationally.

Just a note on the Noble Collection Crown of Elessar , it was limited , if you want to call 9500 limited . But that is the edition size , don't remember if it was numbered . I have one here somewhere amongst all my collectibles . I always thought it was a beautifully done piece , detail is nice as well as the colors , display was done well .

Curious myself to see what all gets re-released . I had sold all of my helms years ago , just knew I would not have the room to display them , especially the WK and Sauron . The one I hated the most to sell was the High Elven Warrior Helm .

Ronin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 am I've been watching video reviews of the crown online. It's a really nice piece. And made from a mold of the production made crown.
I'm sure they reference a prop or prop photos, but it was definitely not cast from a production made crown prop. It's still a good looking replica though.
Ronin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 am Kit, were the UC WK helm molds made from a screen used one? (Sorry if this has been asked or is known already)
I had a Weta WK helm prop to reference and measure for the original UC helm, but the replica was not a casting of the prop. We never do that. Occasionally I will cast a portions of a prop to match an exact texture or sculptural detail, but never an entire piece.
N2darkness wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm That's interesting, was it just a special edition of an already released Fellowship sword or something new? The only thing I could think of would be like a Sting with anodized blue blade or something like that.
I can't remember what we started with, but we had several ideas. My hope was for the carbon steel/MC Anduril, then it was going to be the Theodred sword, but even that one is too far behind. On hindsight, had we known last year that there was going to be a worldwide container shortage that bumped it into 2021, it should have been Guthwine.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:47 am
Ronin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 am I've been watching video reviews of the crown online. It's a really nice piece. And made from a mold of the production made crown.
I'm sure they reference a prop or prop photos, but it was definitely not cast from a production made crown prop. It's still a good looking replica though.
Ronin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 am Kit, were the UC WK helm molds made from a screen used one? (Sorry if this has been asked or is known already)
I had a Weta WK helm prop to reference and measure for the original UC helm, but the replica was not a casting of the prop. We never do that. Occasionally I will cast a portions of a prop to match an exact texture or sculptural detail, but never an entire piece.
N2darkness wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm That's interesting, was it just a special edition of an already released Fellowship sword or something new? The only thing I could think of would be like a Sting with anodized blue blade or something like that.
I can't remember what we started with, but we had several ideas. My hope was for the carbon steel/MC Anduril, then it was going to be the Theodred sword, but even that one is too far behind. On hindsight, had we known last year that there was going to be a worldwide container shortage that bumped it into 2021, it should have been Guthwine.
Thanks for the correction, Kit. I guess I read their description of "die-cast" and "capturing every detail" a little too hastily. They obviously were referring to their own model of it.

As for the WC helm not being made from a mold of a production prop, that's actually good news. I only say that because if it had been made from a production used prop mold, then a reissue no longer having that lineage would've felt like a major downgrade. Now knowing that's not the case makes a reissue very enticing.
Last edited by Ronin on Tue May 04, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magneticone wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am Just a note on the Noble Collection Crown of Elessar , it was limited , if you want to call 9500 limited . But that is the edition size , don't remember if it was numbered . I have one here somewhere amongst all my collectibles . I always thought it was a beautifully done piece , detail is nice as well as the colors , display was done well .
Good to know, thanks!

N2darkness wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm
That's interesting, was it just a special edition of an already released Fellowship sword or something new? The only thing I could think of would be like a Sting with anodized blue blade or something like that.
I'm actually liking the idea of an Anodized Blue Bladed Sting haha. Please don't ban me admins... but... I still don't have a Sting sword :O
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Jash wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am
N2darkness wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm
I'm actually liking the idea of an Anodized Blue Bladed Sting haha. Please don't ban me admins... but... I still don't have a Sting sword :O

Are you not a fan of the look, Kit?

I have to admit I was skeptical, but seeing that axe leaves me intrigued. It would be a cool way to have a Sting in 'Orc' mode without having to resort to light-up gimmicks like the MR Sting.

Also, if you're scratching a coating on a display sword, then you're not displaying it right... or displaying it at all. As always, UC products need to come with disclaimers for the dummies of the world.
This Space for Rent

No, I actually do like the look, I just thought no one else would.

Many years ago we noticed several of my Honshu knives were appearing in video games, but they had different blade finishes. Like gun blued, gold, rainbow anodized, case hardened, et cetera. Gamers were also buying the real knives and painting them to look like the ones in the games, so we thought, why don't we just sell versions like that. We could not anodize stainless, so I suggested using a tinted clear coating. That allowed the steel to show through, but made it colored. It's essentially paint, so it scrapes off once you start cutting or chopping through anything hard, but these were more collectibles so it did not matter. We did numerous versions of my M48 and Honshu knives like that, and still do. Mostly we do red or blue bladed versions, and we have a whole new wave of Honshu knives with colored steel coming later this year.

Anyway, long story short, last year when we were thinking of simple things we could do for a 20th anniversary LOTR product, the first thing I suggested was a blue colored Sting blade. Someone else suggested a Damascus bladed Anduril or Sting. I ended up thinking, nah, people will think that is tacky. We rejected both ideas. Maybe I should have tossed the idea out to you guys first.
KRDS

That's a cool story. Do you take it as a compliment when your stuff shows up in a medium like that, or is it annoying that your work has been stolen, in a manner of speaking? I guess it's the same problem with knock-off blades appearing in other countries - not really much you can do legally. Do you patent your designs for the domestic market at least?

As for a blue Sting, as I said, the more I think about it, the harder I'd be able to pass it up. Damascus, no. I love the look of Damascus, and for me it wouldn't be an issue of it looking tacky, but merely that it would modify the look of a recognizable movie blade like Anduril or Glamdring. It simply wouldn't be the same sword.
This Space for Rent

I thought it was a novel idea when I mentioned it for the 20th anniversary, but it seems that many like the idea including myself.

I think slightly lighter blue than the ax Kit posted. I know some of the tinted 2k clear coats are really durable. Who knows, maybe the 25th anniversary would could get one?
Glowingsting2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:43 pm Really, you guys would like that? Too bad stainless cannot be anodized.
There are tinted clear coatings that have a similar look, like this. They scratch off though.
But if it's for a collectible, i.e. a wall-hanger that actually stayed on the wall wouldn't the clear coat hold up just fine?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Valkrist wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 pm
Deimos wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm But if it's for a collectible, i.e. a wall-hanger that actually stayed on the wall wouldn't the clear coat hold up just fine?
You've clearly never seen YouTube videos of people trying to chop down trees with UC LOTR swords, then looking dumbfounded when the whole thing explodes in their hand. :rolleye:
Oh, but I have....at least I've seen them attacking plastic water jugs and LARP weapons/shields....(morons.)
That was my point; as long as you leave it on the wall (or in a case) where it belongs, shouldn't the clear coat be fine, no deterioration etc. ?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”