Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Hmm, not sure I like that ladle... I always pictured it more 'epic'. Where is the oliphant tusk handle? And why isn't the bowl of it crafted from the hollowed out skull of an ancient balrog? Peter Jackson; I'm talking to you!

Ok, I feel better... must have had too much sarcasm building up inside me.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

I'm throwing money and credit cards at my computer screen but nothing is happening... Thanks for the great pics, guess I'll just have to wait until May (that is the supposed release date, unless anyone has heard otherwise).

I didn't really intend on any of the dwarven swords, but then again, I didn't really intend on most of my collection. I need help. But maybe just one more sword first, or two...
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""Jaymail""]That looks mighty impressive! UC has really mastered the weathering.
My first preference is for Elven weaponry but this is quite a stunning piece.

What are the specs for this?[/quote]
Overall Length: 25 1/2"
Blade Length: 17 1/2"
Blade thickness: 3/8” (9mm)
Blade material: AUS-6 cast stainless steel
Handle Material: Cast metal guard, pommel, and fittings. Polycarbonate grip.
Weight: 4.10lbs (2.1kg)
KRDS

[quote=""Valkrist""]You can bet your life that if it's a Weta prop, then UC can get it. It may not fall under the category of weapons, which UC has the license for, but it is a kitchen utensil that is used as a weapon, so an argument could be made for it. We never did get Sam's frying pan, but we may yet get Bombur's ladle. Kit? :D [/quote]

Wait...are you telling me....that there IS STILL a chance....that we could...maybe...

Get the MC Rusty Meat Cleaver? :crazy:

[quote=""RosereIII""]Hmm, not sure I like that ladle... I always pictured it more 'epic'. Where is the oliphant tusk handle? And why isn't the bowl of it crafted from the hollowed out skull of an ancient balrog? Peter Jackson; I'm talking to you!

Ok, I feel better... must have had too much sarcasm building up inside me.[/quote]

Now that was cold! :laugh:

Those pics look great, Kit! Definitely liking this sword.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Here you go, new Fili sword pix.
[/quote]
:crazy:
Wow, I did not think I would like many of dwarven weapons but this is actually quite exquisite. I love the detail! Part of me really wishes it came as a set of 2 - it feels lonely like only one of Legolas' knives hanging on the wall, but to UC it would probably seem like mounting 2 Stings together... :|

I can't wait to see a UC version of Thorin's dwarven sword if we can e xp ect similar results. There will be one, right?

[quote=""Nerdanel""]I can't wait to see a UC version of Thorin's dwarven sword if we can e xp ect similar results. There will be one, right? [/quote]

I very much hope so. Slowly falling in love with the dwarven weapons. I want to see Thorin's axe also, and still holding a prayer for a UC version of Balin's Mace. Going to need a whole wall for dwarven stuff alone. I'm seriously considering getting two of the Fili swords. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I very much hope so. Slowly falling in love with the dwarven weapons. I want to see Thorin's axe also, and still holding a prayer for a UC version of Balin's Mace. Going to need a whole wall for dwarven stuff alone. I'm seriously considering getting two of the Fili swords. :coolsmile [/quote]

I agree. I think I'm going to need to buy a second house just to display all this stuff.

Orcrist finally came today and I love it :D

I really hope UC make the scabbard for it.

The handle is quite wide and I don't know if I could carry this into battle :P does anyone else feel this way? Or maybes its just my small hands and weak wrists, so I can't wield it properly

So has anyone else pre-ordered Fili's sword yet? I really wanna get it, but I'm thinking about just saving the money instead for things like the Orcrist scabbard, and new items from the new films.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I finally got a production Orcrist myself last week. Overall they did a great job of matching the prototype. I have a few nitpicks on mine, but nothing major. Of course, now I have to modify mine and add the little dings and dents so it exactly matches the prop![/quote]

There were a few areas of pitting on mine. At first I thought they were part of the distressing method from the factory, but they are quite small and I don't think they would have come from castings. So I guess they were just accidental. Still, i really love the sword.

It's probably my favourite replica at the minute. Kit, just a question. Would you not be able to use aluminium for the orcrist scabbard? I was just curious as to whether or not you could do that, as you mentioned that the steel version was very hard to do for the price range.

No pits on mine, but the pommel had a tiny bit of mold flashing, and the surface finish was too dull. The tooth tip was also not completely inserted into the pommel hole. Everything else was perfect.

Regarding the scabbard - The casting dies to mold aluminum parts are actually more e xp ensive than aluminum/zinc alloy casting dies, which is what we would have used. Aluminum is also not as strong, and can't be electroplated. The real issue was simply the cost to build an injection casting die for a part that large, no matter what the alloy used. You have to amortize that cost into the unit cost along with royalty, and a bunch of other factors, factored into how many units are e xp ected to sell. Basically, it ends up being as e xp ensive as the sword. Actually, more, as I recall.

There are cheaper methods, like pressing embossed shells, each side out of thin sheet steel with embossing shapes. None of the fine detail translates using embossing dies, as I was recently reminded of after seeing a licensed shield replica. It also would not match the look or details of the sword hilt. That's why we decided to look at polyresin. I'm not convinced that will work either. Jury is still out.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I finally got a production Orcrist myself last week. Overall they did a great job of matching the prototype. I have a few nitpicks on mine, but nothing major. Of course, now I have to modify mine and add the little dings and dents so it exactly matches the prop![/quote]

Hope you show some comparison shots when you have completed your work. I always love to see before and after pictures and how close you come to the actual prop.

A clearer shot of the Mirkwood helm. Also, the elf at the back is holding a shield that was seen in the DOS preview:

and yes I agree with you all about UC re-releasing some of the older stuff. I wish they would focus more on putting stuff out from the Hobbit.

I'm currently contemplating the idea of only purchasing Elven replicas from now on. The Elven stuff appeals more to me than the Dwarven stuff. Also if I do it that way, it means I would have more money for replicas like the Mirkwood Helmet and the new elven shield if and when they get produced. Tauriel's daggers will be getting pre-ordered straight away when they become available. Hopefully in time for christmas this year :P
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A shot from the preview of DOS showing the shape of Tauriel's daggers and also we get a view of Thranduil's sword in scabbard, although it isn't the most detailed image:

Thranduil's sword looks straight from this angle, so hopefully if UC produce a replica it will be legal in the UK :)

Oh and if you notice, Legolas has the white/cream coloured scabbards for his daggers.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""N2darkness""]Hope you show some comparison shots when you have completed your work. I always love to see before and after pictures and how close you come to the actual prop.[/quote]
I will eventually. My Hobbit Sting and scabbard are nearly finished being customized, but Orcrist will have to wait until I get another break in a few months.

[quote=""Lindir""]and yes I agree with you all about UC re-releasing some of the older stuff. I wish they would focus more on putting stuff out from the Hobbit.
[/quote] Must have missed this conversation. UC is focusing too much time on LOTR?

[quote=""Lindir""]
Thranduil's sword looks straight from this angle, so hopefully if UC produce a replica it will be legal in the UK [/quote]
Unfortunately for those in the UK, it is curved at the end. You can barely see it in this image, but there was another photo of him leaked last year where the whole sword was visible showing the curve.

[quote=""Lindir""]Oh and if you notice, Legolas has the white/cream coloured scabbards for his daggers.[/quote] I was wondering if anyone would spot that :) People will finally get to see the original color before Legolas went to Lorien and received the brown scabbards in FOTR. I'm hoping United will allow us to getthe scabbard re-made in this color next year. Maybe I can get that ugly legal notice ground off the tooling this time too.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Hey Kit :)

there was a disucssion in another thread about the re-release of the limited editions. Most of the members here were discussing how they felt it devalued the original run of the items. I personally would like to see UC focus more on getting the Hobbit stuff put out, things such as the Mirkwood helm, Legolas and Tauriel's bows, etc. Here's the thread for you: http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=5486

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Unfortunately for those in the UK, it is curved at the end. You can barely see it in this image, but there was another photo of him leaked last year where the whole sword was visible showing the curve.[/quote]

Damn. I thought Thranduil's sword would be fine :( I was hoping that image from last year was just early concept art and may have been changed. Never mind, there are plenty of other elven weapons. Although, you could perhaps pass a product suggestion to your client for a hand forged, limited edition version of the sword ;)

Would UC consider Thranduil's staff or are you going to leave that for Noble/Weta to produce?
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]...Must have missed this conversation. UC is focusing too much time on LOTR?

Unfortunately for those in the UK, it is curved at the end. You can barely see it in this image, but there was another photo of him leaked last year where the whole sword was visible showing the curve.

I was wondering if anyone would spot that :) People will finally get to see the original color before Legolas went to Lorien and received the brown scabbards in FOTR. I'm hoping United will allow us to getthe scabbard re-made in this color next year. Maybe I can get that ugly legal notice ground off the tooling this time too.[/quote]

Personally, I would love to see UC rotate more LOTR items back into production. Maybe not the LE items, but I'd certainly love to pick up hard-to-find swords that I missed out on the first time. I'd love new LOTR items too!

I didn't see the original leaked photo of Thranduil. From this angle, his sword looks like a cross between Orcrist and Hadhafang.

I love the elven designs, I think I'd be willing to pick up most anything UC would produce (knives, swords, bows, etc.). :thumbs_up

[quote=""Nerdanel""]I'd love new LOTR items too!
[/quote]
Me too!

[quote=""Lindir""]
there was a disucssion in another thread about the re-release of the limited editions. Most of the members here were discussing how they felt it devalued the original run of the items. I personally would like to see UC focus more on getting the Hobbit stuff put out, things such as the Mirkwood helm, Legolas and Tauriel's bows, etc. Here's the thread for you: http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=5486[/quote]
That's funny. The Hobbit projects have been going on weekly for about 2 years now. If people only knew how these things actually worked. Hard to e xp lain, but making one thing does not equate to taking away something else, as far as development and production are concerned. I would love to see MORE being done in the LOTR line. The only real limitation right now is people wallet on the other side.

[quote=""Lindir""]Would UC consider Thranduil's staff or are you going to leave that for Noble/Weta to produce?[/quote]
It's the same situation as before - I simply am not allowed to say, and I'm definitely not giving Noble a heads up on what United is producing, but everyone knows United has the license for all of those categories.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]That's funny. The Hobbit projects have been going on weekly for about 2 years now. If people only knew how these things actually worked. Hard to e xp lain, but making one thing does not equate to taking away something else, as far as development and production are concerned. I would love to see MORE being done in the LOTR line. The only real limitation right now is people wallet on the other side.[/quote]

Not to derail this thread but that wasn't really the focus of the discussion in the other thread, only that a lot of us feel that UC should not be re-releasing items that were previously marketed and sold as being "limited." I understand the issues with the Gondor Shield; I get that the new one will be different enough and more accurate, but the Sauron Helm really sticks in my craw, and there's no telling what else is coming down the pipe insofar as previously sold out, so-called "limited" runs. Word is you've discussed the possibility of a re-release of the Shards of Narsil already. We just think it will devalue our current collections when it would be nice if UC were focusing their energy and resources on things that are new rather than tapping the eBay market prices for new income on old items.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Nasnandos""]
That's funny. The Hobbit projects have been going on weekly for about 2 years now. If people only knew how these things actually worked. Hard to e xp lain, but making one thing does not equate to taking away something else, as far as development and production are concerned. I would love to see MORE being done in the LOTR line. The only real limitation right now is people wallet on the other side.[/quote]

Sorry Kit, I always assumed that you and your team would only focus on on product at a time.

[quote=""Lindir""]Sorry Kit, I always assumed that you and your team would only focus on on product at a time.[/quote]If only it were possible to work on one project at a time in this business. I would love that.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Not to derail this thread but that wasn't really the focus of the discussion in the other thread, only that a lot of us feel that UC should not be re-releasing items that were previously marketed and sold as being "limited." [/quote]
That was more a reply to the "focus more on putting stuff out from the Hobbit" comments, of which there were several. The focus has been nothing but Hobbit, at least on our end here, so it is hilarious to us when we read things like that. It went from a 3 year projects to a 5 year overnight. It seems neverending, not that I'm complaining :)

I'm not thrilled with United making another Sauron helm, and have said so, and I have heard nothing about remaking the Shards - not even discussed. That came from me telling someone what I would like to have made - the shards on the elven shield as seen in the film. Said the same here many times. Another reason why I should stay away from forums.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]If only it were possible to work on one project at a time in this business. I would love that.

That was more a reply to the "focus more on putting stuff out from the Hobbit" comments, of which there were several. The focus has been nothing but Hobbit, at least on our end here, so it is hilarious to us when we read things like that. It went from a 3 year projects to a 5 year overnight. It seems neverending, not that I'm complaining :)

I'm not thrilled with United making another Sauron helm, and have said so, and I have heard nothing about remaking the Shards - not even discussed. That came from me telling someone what I would like to have made - the shards on the elven shield as seen in the film. Said the same here many times. Another reason why I should stay away from forums.[/quote]

I'm sure I saw you post something over on the RPF about UC considering another shards depending on the screen time it got in the hobbit. But the scene we saw in the trailer was removed in the film.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]
Another reason why I should stay away from forums.[/quote]

No, don't do that! We like hearing the word from the horse's mouth, as it were.

Also, though I'm not going to dig up the quote, Kit - did I miss something? There's more LotR on the way? New LotR? Re-releases? There are a few I'd still like to pick up, if the price came down.

My guess? A Witchking Dagger, considering it played such a large role in the previous film.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I'm not thrilled with United making another Sauron helm, and have said so, and I have heard nothing about another version of the Shards - not even discussed. That came from me telling someone what I would like to have made - the shards on the elven shield as seen in the film. Said the same here many times. Another reason why I should stay away from forums.[/quote]

It's good to know your stance on this issue, and even nicer to know that you are in agreement. I wish your influence with them went further than it does because I think you understand where we're coming from with this.

At any rate, the comment about the Shards was posted by another member here in reference to something they read over on the RPF forums. It appears that, just like in real life, the tale grows in the telling, and not always in a fashion intended by the original source. It seems clear now that you were misquoted, but that is, as you pointed out, an unfortunate side effect of this medium of communication. I apologize for having the misconception propagated here.

I'm grateful you've cleared that up and I am more confident now that perhaps the Gondor Shield and the Sauron Helm are the exceptions rather than the rule in UC's future plans. There isn't a lot of money left in our wallets these days as you alluded to, and I think the vast majority of us who are serious about e xp anding our collections would prefer the gaps be filled rather than see UC inundate the market with reissues of sold out, limited items, which to me constitutes false advertising of the original product.
This Space for Rent

I don't know that I've cleared it up, but the people running United make those decisions. They may very well remake other limited editions if they want to do them differently or better, or they may not. I do know there are no other new versions of anything made by the old United being discussed. Those two were things the owner really wanted to do. I'm still pushing to get new things made, like the Sauron mace.

[quote=""Lindir""]I'm sure I saw you post something over on the RPF about UC considering another shards depending on the screen time it got in the hobbit. But the scene we saw in the trailer was removed in the film.[/quote]
I'm sure that scene will be in the extended cut of H1. Someone asked if UC would redo the shards and I said it's possible (anything is, but not my decision), but "We would have to figure out a way to do it so the shards or the display are different than before. The whole point of a limited edition is that it is limited, so UC can't simply make the same product again. I would love to do a scaled down Elven shield and Elven cloth as the display, like in FOTR."

The people running United now have never brought this up - and if they did, that's what I would suggest. The 'Shards on the shield idea' goes all the way back to the original, as that's how I wanted to do it. The one the old United got made was nice, but I don't care for it, and don't like the fact that the shards are fixed in place. If there is one that I would LOVE to redo it would be that one, even if it was just a 100 piece edition. It will never happen though.

[quote=""Jm419""]A Witchking Dagger, considering it played such a large role in the previous film.[/quote] They are making another run of those soon. Not many were made the first time around, and a lot of people have been asking for them.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]
I'm sure that scene will be in the extended cut of H1. Someone asked if UC would redo the shards and I said it's possible (anything is, but not my decision), but "We would have to figure out a way to do it so the shards or the display are different than before. The whole point of a limited edition is that it is limited, so UC can't simply make the same product again. I would love to do a scaled down Elven shield and Elven cloth as the display, like in FOTR."

The people running United now have never brought this up - and if they did, that's what I would suggest. The 'Shards on the shield idea' goes all the way back to the original, as that's how I wanted to do it. The one the old United got made was nice, but I don't care for it, and don't like the fact that the shards are fixed in place. If there is one that I would LOVE to redo it would be that one, even if it was just a 100 piece edition. It will never happen though.
[/quote]

Woops, I feel incredibly silly now :embarasse I apologise for misquoting you Kit

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I don't know that I've cleared it up, but the people running United make those decisions. They may very well remake other limited editions if they want to do them differently or better, or they may not. I do know there are no other new versions of anything made by the old United being discussed. Those two were things the owner really wanted to do. I'm still pushing to get new things made, like the Sauron mace.

They are making another run of those soon. Not many were made the first time around, and a lot of people have been asking for them.[/quote]

I love having you here, Kit! Please don't stay away. ;)

Do you know (or are you allowed to say) if there are any more *old* LOTR items that might be put back into production? I know you definitely can't talk about *new* items but I was hoping new production runs (like the witch king dagger) could be discussed. I would MUCH rather wait and let UC get the profits rather than someone who's jacking up the price on ebay.

Lindir - thank you for the pictures! :) Exciting stuff could be on the way!

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I don't know that I've cleared it up, but the people running United make those decisions. They may very well remake other limited editions if they want to do them differently or better, or they may not. I do know there are no other new versions of anything made by the old United being discussed. Those two were things the owner really wanted to do. I'm still pushing to get new things made, like the Sauron mace. [/quote]

Count me on this as well. The one piece I really want made. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Nerdanel""]
Do you know (or are you allowed to say) if there are any more *old* LOTR items that might be put back into production? I know you definitely can't talk about *new* items but I was hoping new production runs (like the witch king dagger) could be discussed. I would MUCH rather wait and let UC get the profits rather than someone who's jacking up the price on ebay.
[/quote]
I don't think it matters if I mention existing items they are making more of. I think they would want me to, so people know about them, but I'm not in that loop so much. I have not heard of new production for anything else, but I'm sure more will come in the next few years. They keep up with what dealers are saying people ask for, as well as what people ask for on their social media sites, and email. It would not surprise me to see one or two more of the LOTR swords get an additional run in the next year.

[quote=""Lindir""]Woops, I feel incredibly silly now I apologise for misquoting you Kit[/quote] No problem. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut when talking about my wish list items anyway. I actually got PM's from people on the RPF asking if I knew the price and what websites were selling it. I even got a few emails asking when the United Elessar crown I showed pictures of was coming out :)
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”