Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Jash wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 pm Thanks for the pictures!

@N2 - Hhmm if i cannot find the actual dimensions, then using Sam's sword and relatively-scaled picture will be a decent Plan B. Greatly appreciate the last picture you shared :) . If you do go ahead and make your own versions, I eagerly await progress pictures! I'm fairly sure the forge I'm looking at will be under the "close enough" category lol.

@Val and Everyone else - I deeply apologize for the words I used and if I offended anyone. I was being "too hasty" in catching up on messages, I just went with the term that came to mind first. But you're correct... I also wouldn't call these "Barrow Blades". Henceforth, I shall try my best-est to call them "Weathertop Blades".

@XerachCruz - I also look forward to your blades if/when you make them! So many talented crafts people on this forum, it's always a pleasure to see your creations. Also, the MC Sam's sword is stainless steel. From what I recall, the only physical difference between the MC and regular versions is the "Battle Worn" finish. I read the leather wrapping on the grip is different, but I do not own both in order to comment on that. It is for that reason I personally don't consider Sam's MC sword a true "Museum Collection" piece (going up against Sting, Glamdring, and now Anduril).

Count me in for a Samwise Battle Worn Frying Pan! Honestly, I was considering picking up a run of the mill Frying Pan to hang alongside Sam's sword when I finalize the display haha.

At first reading of the books I also saw Frodo and Strider as the main heroes. It wasn't until I watched the movies that I changed my mind. The scene near the end where Sam says, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" hit me hard. It's probably the most powerful part of the entire trilogy for me, so much so that my favourite Sideshow/Weta statue is that exact scene.
If you find the real dimensions, especially of thicknesses that cannot be easily extracted from the photographs, please put them here, to take note. I have looked for them, but have not found.

I can't consider myself a craftsman, I think I don't deserve that honor. I just think I'm not too bad at using tools and how I work with 3D design, take advantage of my modeling experience for my DIY hobbies as well. So far I've only done some carpentry work as a hobby, but I've never made a replica yet, it's more of an aspirational thing. First I'll try to make a scabbard, probably Sam's, and if I'm successful, I'll be encouraged to do something more complex.

I think my frying pan joke was misunderstood. It was just a parody on UC's strategy for rereleasing a replica that was limited, releasing a new edition just adding an item to it, like with the new mace with the flag... Although if they released that edition, with a screen accured Sam's frying pan, I would buy it too. :D

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:52 am I've been using a program I purchased many years ago called "Big print" and it allows you to scale any image and then measure and print templates. You do need 1 measurement to scale the image though. Here is a link
https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

I'm still a little ways from starting on any blades, but already purchased a 2x72" grinder and the necessary contact wheels and belts (currently on back order till next month) and now looking for decent material to use. I reached out to Kit for recommendations for prop swords, so hopefully he has some good ideas. As of now I'm only doing stock removal and no forging and not going the route of heat treating or tempering (yet?) as the added equipment involved. Hilts and pommels will be cast pewter and potentially electroplated if needed.
Thanks for the program. Until now, for large jobs, after designing it in 3D, I take the dimensions of the design and redraw them on the wood to be cut, which requires a lot of extra technical drawing work. This program is very useful.

What belt grinder did you buy? I've also been looking for a model that can be used to make some swords but isn't too expensive.

I think the same, it does not even occur to me to consider forging, that is too much for me. Just cutting and grinding steel bars, just to make wallhangers. Even for the guards and pommels I had thought to make them by cutting and sanding from a metal block, instead of casting... but it's all theoretical, I don't know how possible (or more difficult) it would be to make them that way.

XerachCruz wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:00 pm
Thanks for the program. Until now, for large jobs, after designing it in 3D, I take the dimensions of the design and redraw them on the wood to be cut, which requires a lot of extra technical drawing work. This program is very useful.

What belt grinder did you buy? I've also been looking for a model that can be used to make some swords but isn't too expensive.

I think the same, it does not even occur to me to consider forging, that is too much for me. Just cutting and grinding steel bars, just to make wallhangers. Even for the guards and pommels I had thought to make them by cutting and sanding from a metal block, instead of casting... but it's all theoretical, I don't know how possible (or more difficult) it would be to make them that way.
Grinders are not cheap and I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for. At least that is what I have found upon doing my research. I went with a fairly middle of the road option Ameribrade
https://www.ameribrade.com/

If you have a welder and like to make your own tools, here is a cheaper option where you can buy kits or plans and build your own.
https://housemade.us/

Traditionally the guards and pommels would be either cast from brass or bronze or even ground from solid stock, but some of the intricate pieces will be easier for me to just cast than to try and hand sculpt each one as I plan on doing some very short runs of each piece.

N2darkness wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:37 am Grinders are not cheap and I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for. At least that is what I have found upon doing my research. I went with a fairly middle of the road option Ameribrade
https://www.ameribrade.com/

If you have a welder and like to make your own tools, here is a cheaper option where you can buy kits or plans and build your own.
https://housemade.us/

Traditionally the guards and pommels would be either cast from brass or bronze or even ground from solid stock, but some of the intricate pieces will be easier for me to just cast than to try and hand sculpt each one as I plan on doing some very short runs of each piece.
Thank you very much for all this valuable information, I take note for when the time comes. :D

I guess I'd stick with the kit, because since I wouldn't get any financial benefit from just making replicas for myself, I'd like it to be as cheap as possible. And even though you have to buy parts separately with the kit, it's still cheaper.

I also like to assemble my own tools, it makes you get to know them better. Like my 3D printer that I also bought as a kit and have been modifying over the years.

And sorry for the offtopic that I have caused. :oops:

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:52 am I've been using a program I purchased many years ago called "Big print" and it allows you to scale any image and then measure and print templates. You do need 1 measurement to scale the image though. Here is a link
https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/
Thank you for the link! Seems like a great tool for not only this project, but others I have in mind :)
Sadly I have not heard back from that forge yet... So... Yeah...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

XerachCruz wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 am I think my frying pan joke was misunderstood. It was just a parody on UC's strategy for rereleasing a replica that was limited, releasing a new edition just adding an item to it, like with the new mace with the flag... Although if they released that edition, with a screen accured Sam's frying pan, I would buy it too. :D
No no, I got the joke. But... the fact that I would purchase and display a "battle used" Sam's Fighting Frying Pan was 100% serious !! :)

Jash wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:43 pm
XerachCruz wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 am I think my frying pan joke was misunderstood. It was just a parody on UC's strategy for rereleasing a replica that was limited, releasing a new edition just adding an item to it, like with the new mace with the flag... Although if they released that edition, with a screen accured Sam's frying pan, I would buy it too. :D
No no, I got the joke. But... the fact that I would purchase and display a "battle used" Sam's Fighting Frying Pan was 100% serious !! :)
Ok, I thought I expressed myself wrong. :D Me too, but only if frying pan is screen accurate. :P

XerachCruz wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:47 am
Ok, I thought I expressed myself wrong. Me too, but only if frying pan is screen accurate. :P
You guys are killing me....just killing me. :rolleye: :cd:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 am
XerachCruz wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:47 am

Ok, I thought I expressed myself wrong. Me too, but only if frying pan is screen accurate. :P
You guys are killing me....just killing me. :rolleye: :cd:
C'mon Deimos... You know you want one! ;)
*cough Peer Pressure lol

You know, UC Sam's sword (the shiny non MC version) actually comes closest to being like a Barrow Blade.
It's both unrusted and ...AND has a "leaf shaped" blade.
The other three (beside being rusty) don't have leaf shaped blades.
So the non MC Sam's sword really could pass for a Barrow blade except the hilt, grip and pommel are so pedestrian...nothing like what I think sword smith who makes weapons for the Dunedain would make, which would be a work of art.

Wanted to show some comparison (mine from the original run 2001?) to the new run of the Witchking sword. I knew there was going to be a new pattern for the weathering on the blade, but is also appears to be not as dark as the original ones.

Also the clean up and grinding of the cross guard / hilt is pretty severe and removes too much detail as some of the ring that is pronounced at the end of the handle.

Gonna be very curious as to how the new Ringwraith sword will turn out as well.
wks.jpg
wks2.jpg
wks3.jpg
wks4.jpg
wks5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XerachCruz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:48 pm I was talking to him on Instagram about that. That rerelease sword is a Scratch/Dent unit. Do you know if maybe the details of the guard are too worn because of that? Or is that the finish of the engraving on the new releases?
I saw that, but I was messaged today by someone else who received their sword and they paid full price. So this is the 2nd one now that is like this. I have a feeling they are all similar unfortunately.
274928788_482226530030882_6858147894709140303_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:56 pm I saw that, but I was messaged today by someone else who received their sword and they paid full price. So this is the 2nd one now that is like this. I have a feeling they are all similar unfortunately.
I didn't see the second sword comment on Instagram. Then it seems that finally that is the finish of the guard in the new release. A pity the loss of quality. In the first edition it was much more detailed.

Now that I know the difference, when my rerelease unit arrives, I will always see the flaws in the guard. :(

N2darkness wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:32 am Wanted to show some comparison (mine from the original run 2001?) to the new run of the Witchking sword. I knew there was going to be a new pattern for the weathering on the blade, but is also appears to be not as dark as the original ones.

Also the clean up and grinding of the cross guard / hilt is pretty severe and removes too much detail as some of the ring that is pronounced at the end of the handle.

Gonna be very curious as to how the new Ringwraith sword will turn out as well.

wks.jpg
wks2.jpg
wks3.jpg
wks4.jpg
wks5.jpg
Agh, c'mon UC. I was really looking forward to having this sword. I could weather the blade myself but I can't fix that hilt.

Ronin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:25 am Hey Val, I saw that comment you made at FOU about UC eventually reissuing all the scabbards. Is that confirmed or were you just speculating? Sorry if I misunderstood. I just got excited at the prospect of getting the harder to acquire scabbards. (Also sorry for responding here and not at FOU. I'm a bit turned off by that place at the moment)
Hey Ronin,

No worries. I think I was referring to a comment made by Kit here somewhere (probably this thread) where I *think* he mentioned that would be the case. He will quickly set the matter straight, I'm sure. :club:

I think they have reissued all of them at this point except the white Glamdring one, right? Or is the blue one missing as well? I mean, there aren't that many of them at the end of the day:

Edit - I should add that by reissue, I meant only the LOTR ones, not the two from The Hobbit.

2 for Sting
2 for Glamdring
Ranger sword
Anduril
Legolas Knives
Strider Elven Knife (can only be obtained with the knife itself)
Thranduil frog
Orcrist
(possible Guthwine)

As for FoU, yeah... I left as well, and I'm 100% sure it was for the same reason as you. Not sure if/when I'll return.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:07 am
Ronin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:25 am Hey Val, I saw that comment you made at FOU about UC eventually reissuing all the scabbards. Is that confirmed or were you just speculating? Sorry if I misunderstood. I just got excited at the prospect of getting the harder to acquire scabbards. (Also sorry for responding here and not at FOU. I'm a bit turned off by that place at the moment)
Hey Ronin,

No worries. I think I was referring to a comment made by Kit here somewhere (probably this thread) where I *think* he mentioned that would be the case. He will quickly set the matter straight, I'm sure. :club:

I think they have reissued all of them at this point except the white Glamdring one, right? Or is the blue one missing as well? I mean, there aren't that many of them at the end of the day:

Edit - I should add that by reissue, I meant only the LOTR ones, not the two from The Hobbit.

2 for Sting
2 for Glamdring
Ranger sword
Anduril
Legolas Knives
Strider Elven Knife (can only be obtained with the knife itself)
Thranduil frog
Orcrist
(possible Guthwine)

As for FoU, yeah... I left as well, and I'm 100% sure it was for the same reason as you. Not sure if/when I'll return.
Oh great, I hope that is indeed the case and reissues are incoming! I know Sting (LOTR) and Blue Glamdring are on the way and Guthwine is in the works but I don't remember hearing or reading about the others. I had asked Kit quite a while ago about them hopefully reissuing the Strider scabbard. That's the one I'm most after. If I recall, he said it wasn't in the works at the time and there was an increase in materials cost (this was even pre-covid related supply issues) so it probably wasn't happening. I realize this doesn't mean they're all currently greenlit to hit the assembly line but as long they eventually get reissued, that would be fantastic. I saw Rev is auctioning one off but I'm hoping to get one that's in pristine condition.

I've always wondered about the Ranger sword knockoffs on Ebay...did those factories get a hold of the UC molds for the sword and scabbard or are they reverse engineered? I'll admit I was a wee bit tempted to find a cheap one just to get a scabbard but that idea quickly vanished as I wouldn't be alright with anything but a UC scabbard. And also, screw those knock off factories.

Sigh, yeah Val, your instincts are correct concerning FoU. We'll just leave it there ;)

I think my comment about the scabbards was when we were talking about the Rohan swords. If Guthwine sells well they will do one for Herugrim, then Eowyn. I have not heard of any other scabbard reissues in the works. I do know the cost to make the Anduril scabbard skyrocketed so much that they cancelled the last run, so if/when the prices stabilize, that may be the last reissue for a while.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:07 am I think my comment about the scabbards was when we were talking about the Rohan swords. If Guthwine sells well they will do one for Herugrim, then Eowyn. I have not heard of any other scabbard reissues in the works. I do know the cost to make the Anduril scabbard skyrocketed so much that they cancelled the last run, so if/when the prices stabilize, that may be the last reissue for a while.
Thanks for the response, Kit. I know I ask about the scabbards a lot so I appreciate you always answering.

Assuming the Guthwine scabbard is made and sells well, and the other Rohan scabbards get made and sell well, would that be enough to prompt UC to most likely reissue all or most of the other scabbards? Assuming it's cost feasible of course.

Ronin wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:13 pm Assuming the Guthwine scabbard is made and sells well, and the other Rohan scabbards get made and sell well, would that be enough to prompt UC to most likely reissue all or most of the other scabbards? Assuming it's cost feasible of course.
Sure, they will keep making reissues and adding to that product category as long as it is selling well and the manufacturing costs are not crazy. Unfortunately raw material costs are too high and very volatile at the moment, with no sign of things improving.
KRDS

Being a collector who has "given in" to some props and replicas being made of different materials just to have the option of owning them . Knowing the weight of some in metals , the maces and some helms . To the only option for design of others , other helms and Orcrist scabbard . I would not shy away from these being made of urethane , to have the chance , especially having seen some urethane items with faux leather finishes . These are wall hangers for display . Just my opinion , but wanted to say it .

Could it be that I am a new collector, because I still have that snobbism that Valkrist comments. :P Maybe over time I'll get used to them and accept the plastic replicas a little more, I don't know. ;)

Although I understand it for the replicas that there is no possible way to make them in real materials, as with Gandalf's staffs, which I have bought all of them (although I am not entirely happy with the quality of the paint work, really).

In this case, on these scabbard, if they managed to make the skin finish very realistic and used a good paint for the gold, that not being much metal surface could be credible, yes i would be interested, although honestly I prefer it to be real leather with the painted metal filigree, rather than urethane... but if the appearance is credible I could care less than in other replicas. :)

What would worry me is its durability, I'm quite wary of soft plastics and poly-leathers. More than one soft rubber or poly-leathers object that I have, that crack or directly disintegrate over the years, without hardly touching them. How resistant to the passage of time is the urethane?

For me, the main problem with this replicas is usually the painting, although the shape is perfect, the painting does not make the materials look realistic enough. I don't know if it will improve how eomer's spear will look with the metal powder inside the material instead of painted.

If the polyresin replicas will combine various materials, as in the replicas of real materials, also they would attract me more attention. For example, the Horn of Gondor (which I am still debating whether to buy or not), they could have made the metal parts out of metal and the horn out of polyresin and it would have gained a lot in realism. ...Or the Orcrist scabbard that has a sticker for the wood. With a better paint and with a thin sheet of real wood adhered, I would have won a lot... and in that case if I would consider buying it. But as it is now, the truth is no.

XerachCruz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:06 am Could it be that I am a new collector, because I still have that snobbism that Valkrist comments. :P Maybe over time I'll get used to them and accept the plastic replicas a little more, I don't know. ;)
What would worry me is its durability, I'm quite wary of soft plastics and poly-leathers. More than one soft rubber or poly-leathers object that I have, that crack or directly disintegrate over the years, without hardly touching them. How resistant to the passage of time is the urethane?

For me, the main problem with this replicas is usually the painting, although the shape is perfect, the painting does not make the materials look realistic enough. I don't know if it will improve how eomer's spear will look with the metal powder inside the material instead of painted.
.... But as it is now, the truth is no.
Ah, a kindred soul, and I'm not a new collector.
And (pax to Magneticone) I doubt that I'll come around, or at best I'll grudgingly accept the situation.
I will even buy non licensed items (from Etsy or other places --e.g., Leather Lore) to get real metal and leather items despite the licensed ones beiing available.
One thing I have never been "snobbish" about is preferring licensed over un-licensed with no consideration of quality/durability.
(My pop's DNA --he was an aerospace engineer--runs true in me) Resale value be damned I go for the quality piece every time. :horseback

Right now, tho' it is not a problem because I'm not hankering after anything like scabbards.
Spears of the Rohirrim would be cool but only with metal heads and wood shafts (preferably ash :thumbs_up)
Dwarven axes with metal heads too, from someone on Etsy (can't recall the shop name) are attractive.

But resin/urethane.....only if it is a must-have collectible, and then only as an uttermost last resort.

Magneticone wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:52 am Yeah , give it time . You will PROBABLY get to the same point . If there is something you really want , that can't realistically be made in real world materials , you lean towards quality replicas in other materials . MANY of us here waited for MANY YEARS , just to see the reality of Sauron's Mace finally being offered up .
I don't know, I find it hard to believe that I can change my mind that much, to be honest... perhaps with time I will make an exception, but in very specific cases. I'm debating myself whether to buy the Horn of Gondor and maybe the Mace of Sauron, although I don't know yet, I'm afraid it might not look like metal in person... the rest of what has been released in resin or is announced, the truth is right now I don't even think about it.

What I am clear about is that if everything turns to resin, I will most likely spend my money on something else.
Deimos wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:56 am Ah, a kindred soul, and I'm not a new collector.
And (pax to Magneticone) I doubt that I'll come around, or at best I'll grudgingly accept the situation.
I will even buy non licensed items (from Etsy or other places --e.g., Leather Lore) to get real metal and leather items despite the licensed ones beiing available.
One thing I have never been "snobbish" about is preferring licensed over un-licensed with no consideration of quality/durability.
(My pop's DNA --he was an aerospace engineer--runs true in me) Resale value be damned I go for the quality piece every time. :horseback

Right now, tho' it is not a problem because I'm not hankering after anything like scabbards.
Spears of the Rohirrim would be cool but only with metal heads and wood shafts (preferably ash :thumbs_up)
Dwarven axes with metal heads too, from someone on Etsy (can't recall the shop name) are attractive.

But resin/urethane.....only if it is a must-have collectible, and then only as an uttermost last resort.
We think the same. :cheers:

I don't care if they have a certificate either, I don't plan to sell them, I don't buy them for that. What matters to me is that they are as exact as possible to the movies and that they look/feel real. .Not like big toys.

For now I have only bought UC because they are the most accurate and easy to find (and besides, I am starting to collect and my wallet can barely keep up with this spending rate). But when I don't have any metal CU to buy anymore, I don't rule out buying metal/leather replicas from artisans if they offer me real materials and accuracy.

I would like to have scabbards for all the swords, I feel like without it, the sword is kind of incomplete. I will buy all the ones that UC launch (as long as they are not toy-like like Orcrist scabbard) ...and those that do not launch, or I will buy them from some artisan or I will make them myself over time.

I understand every collector is different and to each their own . But I don't understand the thinking that Orcrist Scabbard is toy like . It is very solid , and the finish is not bad , not like the larp versions of some swords that I would call toy like . I also don't consider Sauron or Azogs Maces toy like either . Remember , hanging on the wall they look very accurate , they are wall hangers . These are not and can not be used as real weapons in any manner . I just chuckle when some will buy the staves because there are no other options, but balk at anything else . IMO , that's all . . .

XerachCruz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:06 am What would worry me is its durability, I'm quite wary of soft plastics and poly-leathers. More than one soft rubber or poly-leathers object that I have, that crack or directly disintegrate over the years, without hardly touching them. How resistant to the passage of time is the urethane?
Flexible urethane does not crack. There are rigid urethanes that do crack, as I found out the first time I strung up one of the Tauriel bow props Weta sent me. They used the wrong urethane for the batch of bows mine came from, and it cracked in half.

Almost all of the LOTR Weta props I own, or owned, were made with flexible urethane. That's what United would use if they ever went that direction for some replicas. The only issue I have noticed is that some of the very thin areas - like the cheek guards on the Eomer and Gondor prop helms - warped slightly over time. There must be some shrinkage that occurs. I have not noticed anything like that happening with the thicker props, like the sword hilts, Legolas bows, scabbards. Those essentially look the same as when I acquired them. Some of those are 20 years old now.
XerachCruz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:06 am For example, the Horn of Gondor (which I am still debating whether to buy or not), they could have made the metal parts out of metal and the horn out of polyresin
Unfortunately, no, they could not. That was what I started with, but the shrinkage tolerance for the two polyresin horn parts was too great. Most of the poly castings would never fit all three metal parts they had to mate too, and the ones that did would have gaps and deformities that I did not consider acceptable.
XerachCruz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:06 am Or the Orcrist scabbard that has a sticker for the wood. With a better paint and with a thin sheet of real wood adhered, I would have won a lot
Again, same issue. The wood laminate on the prop was hand cut to shape. Our original idea was to use a thin wood laminate that was die cut to shape, but the shrinkage tolerance was so great that very few of them would fit the profile of the wood cavity in the sheath castings, or lay flush against the surface.

There was also the problem that there was no way to get a laminate that had the same wood grain pattern of the prop. It was hand airbrushed on the prop, but each replica It would have looked different, in addition to the fit and gap issues. In the end, we used a printed water transfer of a photo of the laminate on the prop. It still had to be hand cut to shape, but at least it could lay flat against the poly castings.
KRDS

Magneticone wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:20 am I understand every collector is different and to each their own . But I don't understand the thinking that Orcrist Scabbard is toy like . It is very solid , and the finish is not bad , not like the larp versions of some swords that I would call toy like . I also don't consider Sauron or Azogs Maces toy like either . Remember , hanging on the wall they look very accurate , they are wall hangers . These are not and can not be used as real weapons in any manner . I just chuckle when some will buy the staves because there are no other options, but balk at anything else . IMO , that's all . . .
I say it looks like a toy because of the imitation metal paint, not because of its solidity or shape. It's too obvious that it's not metal to me, especially when is sheathed the sword and the paint is next to the actual metal of the sword guard. The paint on it doesn't reflect light the same way metal does and it looks fake to me.

Instead I would like to see how Eomer's spear looks because the metallic aspect would be given by the metal powder that it has in the material, and not a painting. There are 3D printing filaments with powders of bronze, copper and other metals, which after a good polishing job, achieve a fairly decent metallic appearance (I have a new Bronzefill spool to try it in some project).

And of course that these replicas would never occur to me to use them as a real sword or shake them... not only do I know that they would probably break, it is also very dangerous because they could always come apart, shoot out and stabbing someone. But the fact that they look completely realistic when using metal and leather, and feel real when holding them (the weight and the coldness of the steel) makes me feel that they are worth the money... It is what encouraged me to start collecting. And they are expensive items and I can't help but feel like I'm wasting my money by paying such a high price for a lot of resin (Although I know that resin replicas have a lot of painting work and they have to pay for that too, but I feel like this, sorry)... I guess that's why I don't collect the weta figures either, apart from the lack of space.

I have bought the staffs because I understand that it would be really impossible to build them with real wood and get them to be accurate with the shape in the movies, and because they are important elements for me that could not be missing in my collection. The Mace of Sauron and the Horn is another of those elements that I consider important and that is why I am considering buy it.

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:57 am Flexible urethane does not crack. There are rigid urethanes that do crack, as I found out the first time I strung up one of the Tauriel bow props Weta sent me. They used the wrong urethane for the batch of bows mine came from, and it cracked in half.

Almost all of the LOTR Weta props I own, or owned, were made with flexible urethane. That's what United would use if they ever went that direction for some replicas. The only issue I have noticed is that some of the very thin areas - like the cheek guards on the Eomer and Gondor prop helms - warped slightly over time. There must be some shrinkage that occurs. I have not noticed anything like that happening with the thicker props, like the sword hilts, Legolas bows, scabbards. Those essentially look the same as when I acquired them. Some of those are 20 years old now.
Thank you very much for the answer, that after 20 years it does not deteriorate is good news. If one day they release those scabbards in flexible urethane and get a realistic finish, I'll consider buying them then.
Nasnandos wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:57 am Unfortunately, no, they could not. That was what I started with, but the shrinkage tolerance for the two polyresin horn parts was too great. Most of the poly castings would never fit all three metal parts they had to mate too, and the ones that did would have gaps and deformities that I did not consider acceptable.
It's a shame that they couldn't build the Horn of Gondor that way, it would have looked spectacular because from the photos I've seen, the painting of the horn area is quite good and if it had had real metals it would have been perfect. But I understand the problem with tolerances and expansion, it is not the same to build a unit, where you can fine-tune the tolerances with all the calm in the world and discarding fails, than in mass production. I also suppose that the difference in shrinkage between metal and resin, with temperature changes, if the tolerances are too tight in some units, could cause the resin to crack.

I'll probably end up buying the Horn of Gondor in one of my next orders, because at least in the from the photos I've seen the golden metal paint doesn't look too bad. I'm considering it. :)
Nasnandos wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:57 am Again, same issue. The wood laminate on the prop was hand cut to shape. Our original idea was to use a thin wood laminate that was die cut to shape, but the shrinkage tolerance was so great that very few of them would fit the profile of the wood cavity in the sheath castings, or lay flush against the surface.

There was also the problem that there was no way to get a laminate that had the same wood grain pattern of the prop. It was hand airbrushed on the prop, but each replica It would have looked different, in addition to the fit and gap issues. In the end, we used a printed water transfer of a photo of the laminate on the prop. It still had to be hand cut to shape, but at least it could lay flat against the poly castings.
On the scabbard, I personally would prefer that the wood grains were different from the plastic appearance that it finally had... but that is where the internal debate of each between accuracy and realism would enter.

But I also understand the problem you mention.

Maybe one day I will buy one of those second hand scabbard to modify it and try to make it more realistic. I have seen a chrome paint that applied with an airbrush achieves a very realistic mirror appearance... maybe that, plus a few layers of dark washes and real wood could change it completely.

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:15 pm Same here. I wish there was a way for UC to make something close to those in real world materials, but there really is not.

They only existed for the films as painted Urethane props. United's poly factory says they can cast flexible urethane now, so maybe they can be done that way one day.
It that's possible now, it would wonderful if we could get a Legolas Lothlorien bow in a flexible urethane that could actually be drawn and have it spring back. Just like the shooting prop Orlando used in the movie.

I would much prefer that, than a rigid urethane piece that would be prone to cracking and breaking.

Same with scabbards, with a mix of flexible shells for the main body and cast metal adornments could make for a great combination. I was originally thinking that vacuum formed kydex for the scabbard body then leather wrapped, but may be cheaper to just cast them.

I don't think it would fit into United Cutlery's business model of finished props but if some items like say, the Orcrist scabbard could be sold in kit form that we could then assemble ourselves making whatever adjustments and fine tuning that a factory couldn't, that could be a possible way to give us some of the harder props to mass produce. I highly doubt there's enough demand for it though.

Ronin wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:11 pm Sting Scabbard (LOTR) and Ringwraith sword both in-stock now at Budk.
Thanks. Too bad BUDK doesn't ship outside of the US. :(

As soon as they're available at Castle Kon, that will be my next purchase. It will be a bit more expensive with shipping costs and taxes when arriving here than buying it from a European store, but it won't be in stores here for many, many months and I'd rather not wait. :P

XerachCruz wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:41 am
Ronin wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:11 pm Sting Scabbard (LOTR) and Ringwraith sword both in-stock now at Budk.
Thanks. Too bad BUDK doesn't ship outside of the US. :(

As soon as they're available at Castle Kon, that will be my next purchase. It will be a bit more expensive with shipping costs and taxes when arriving here than buying it from a European store, but it won't be in stores here for many, many months and I'd rather not wait. :P
No problem. Yeah, I didn't realize how expensive international shipping is now until recently when I sold a lightsaber to a fellow in the UK. Cost me a $100 :shock: for a hilt sized box.

I'm just hoping the Ringwraith sword doesn't have any issues. I wanted to buy the Witch-King sword but seeing the over-grinding done on the crossguard in this new run made me hesitate. It's frustrating. Is having a flawed replica better than no replica? Or do I hold out for another run after already waiting years to get one?

I actually did! I found a blacksmith on Instagram who was making pans and able to take custom orders. It wasn't cheap as it came all the way from the UK. It is a heavy duty hand forged piece and you could definitely kill an orc or two with it. You can order one by messaging him on Facebook or Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/arthur_dibb_a ... lacksmith/
20220301_110837.jpg
20220301_110820.jpg
20220301_110809.jpg
20220301_110751.jpg
20220301_110737.jpg

XerachCruz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:25 pm
N2darkness wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:56 pm I saw that, but I was messaged today by someone else who received their sword and they paid full price. So this is the 2nd one now that is like this. I have a feeling they are all similar unfortunately.
I didn't see the second sword comment on Instagram. Then it seems that finally that is the finish of the guard in the new release. A pity the loss of quality. In the first edition it was much more detailed.

Now that I know the difference, when my rerelease unit arrives, I will always see the flaws in the guard. :(
I received one of these a few weeks ago, and mine has the same aggressive cleanup on the guard.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”