Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

JJByers wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:25 am Drew mentioned they had to retool or get new tooling for the reissued wraith sword coming up on Facebook? Are some items cheaper to retool (to a considerable cost amount) or did they just really want to revive that item you think?
That's news to me. He may be confusing that with something else, or misunderstood something he saw in my correspondence with their factory. I approved a sample of that a few months ago and I'm pretty sure they are in production now.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:42 am
JJByers wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:25 am Drew mentioned they had to retool or get new tooling for the reissued wraith sword coming up on Facebook? Are some items cheaper to retool (to a considerable cost amount) or did they just really want to revive that item you think?
That's news to me. He may be confusing that with something else, or misunderstood something he saw in my correspondence with their factory. I approved a sample of that a few months ago and I'm pretty sure they are in production now.
Eh. Never really know with that fellow... I was kinda taken aback that he called out people's other helms recently as "counterfeits" being that they aren't made by United Cutlery I assume in regards to the new Theoden post. Some of those prop makers being in that group or having purchased other Theoden helms from Andrew or Blind Squirrel Props, or AcroWorkShop who distressed theirs amazingly well, years ago while UC sat idle for a time. But now possess fakes and counterfeits lol, because a licensed one is in the works.
Reminds of when whoever was running the UC Facebook page posted that Guthwine was gonna be held up because they were having to use resources now due to unlicensed items being produced (Indie's Guthwine) and the majority feedback then was basically, someone else did it because of 15 years of asking there was no response, and now you're worried about someone affecting your sales now that you're making moves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That could have been him too. I don't remember that, but I'm not really much of a Facebook user. Guthwine had been on and off since I worked for the old UC company. I did all the development work way back in 2014 when UC first reissued Herugrim, but sales were slow so it stalled Guthwine. UC did not green light it until 2018. They put it on hold again in 2019, but that had nothing to do with unlicensed copies. It was to try and release it with the new run of Herugrims that were being made at the time.

I don't think UC or Warner Bros were even aware of Indy's version until around mid 2020. I had seen photos of it, so I knew it was not going to make a dent in UC's sales and told them so. Almost everyone I knew who bought one ended up buying UC's too. Custom made one-off replicas and tiny runs of custom replicas are never a problem. They help keep the interest in this hobby going! I encourage it. The more the merrier, I say. It's the cheap factory-made knockoffs coming out of China that really damage a license, and they have always been really bad for LOTR.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:50 am I don't think UC or Warner Bros were even aware of Indy's version until around mid 2020. I had seen photos of it, so I knew it was not going to make a dent in UC's sales and told them so. Almost everyone I knew who bought one ended up buying UC's too. Custom made one-off replicas and tiny runs of custom replicas are never a problem. They help keep the interest in this hobby going! I encourage it. The more the merrier, I say. It's the cheap factory-made knockoffs coming out of China that really damage a license, and they have always been really bad for LOTR.
Facebook is evil, all I'll say. I keep it for the collectors group.

Yeah, recently came to me someone was using my photos to sell "genuine Lord of the Rings replicas" UC1397, they "bought in bulk from UC." So not only did they get caught lying, it was the cheap, very bad looking replicas. The damascusshop.com guy via Facebook. Then asked if I wanted to buy his stuff when I called him out. Madness...

Anyway, in the past years I've come to really appreciate the custom prop makers out there. Formerly being a "licensed only" collector, and now quite the opposite. I wish I were as talented as these folks out here making these items. The will is there, just not the talent lol. Have you seen the Fountain Guard armor AcroWorkshop is doing? It. Is. Amazing. I love their Dwarven stuff too. I bought my Iron Hills shield from them.

Yes. Lots of cool stuff from AcroWorkshop. Dwarven Armory makes some decent looking Gondor helms as well. Their metal finish is a bit too thick and paint-like, but it looks more like metal that AcroWorkshops metal paint finish.

Unfortunately the inaccurate shapes, proportions, and sculptural details on most custom builds would drive me crazy and make it hard to enjoy them. None of that stuff ever looks right to me because I know what those weapons and armor actually look like intimately. Most collectors know they are not 100% correct, so you go for what looks the most accurate from what is available. The average collector would not be bothered by the things that bother me. That's the curse from owning a huge library of LOTR prop master photos and owning a lot of actual LOTR props. Had I never been involved a deeply as I am, I would probably have a house full of custom replicas like that!
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:35 pm Yeah, I was very surprised when I heard about that. I was asked, so I gave them my thoughts about it. I sort of understand what happened and why they are doing it, but I'm not happy about it. Suffice it to say, it was not something UC really wanted or planned on doing, but I can't really say any more than that. What I can say is, I don't think there will be limited editions any more. I'm sure they will finish out some of the editions that are still open, but I don't think limiting production will be allowed for anything new in that license going forward.
I personally am glad that the LE disappear and that they reissue everything they can.

As I have said in another thread. Although I am a lover of LOTR films since their release, I have started collecting very recently because where I live years ago it was impossible. And seeing all the LE and discontinued items that I will probably never be able to buy is something that makes me very sad and discouraged as a collector.

Even for today's LEs because I bying everything they are re-releasing and I can't afford to buy everything at once, so I may miss out on some LEs I might want.

If it weren't for the reissues, I would only have the few most common replicas that have always been for sale. Now I already have 29 replicas at home, all thanks to the reissues, because I have only been able to buy 2 resales of discontinued items for now... I am very happy to continue completing my collection with future reissues that are to come, if not, the collecting would have ended for me as soon as I started.

I think that collecting is not thinking about reselling later, collecting is having things that you like and enjoying them. Wanting to deprive of this other people who share your love of this, simply for arriving later, doesn't seem right to me. For my part, I hope that all LOTR replicas will be for sale until the end of time. To me personally, I do not care if their value goes up or down, my idea is never to part with them.

Also, I suppose that continuing to have a lot of items for sale makes the company survive and that it can afford to develop and release new items.

I'm sorry meddle into the conversation... and for the rant. :)
Last edited by XerachCruz on Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And about the reissue of the Red Eye Mace, I'm also happy that it comes out.

For now I have only bought metal weapons (with the exception of Gandalf's staffs), because in addition to displaying my replicas I like to take them, inspect them and feel them as real in my hands ...but above all because that serves me as a filter to not buy everything, because I don't have enough space and above all, so as not to end up ruined, which is almost already. :D

But if I ever can skipped that rule that I have imposed on myself, it will be with Sauron's mace, and without this non-limited reissue, it would be impossible for me to buy it one day since the previous limited edition has already been exhausted for some time in all vendors to the ones that I can access.

I don't disagree one bit with anything you've said, especially when it comes to ensuring that collectibles remain accessible and affordable to successive generations of collectors that come into this so late.

What I am dead set against are companies selling a product based and advertised upon a false premise. Whatever our personal feelings about Limited Editions, once the pre-determined number of units is produced, by the very definition of the term, that should be the end of it. If there is to be another release down the road, there should be considerable and appreciable changes to the collectible itself, not just the mere addition of a banner, or a new stand, or plaque, as a convenient way to break your covenant with your customers in the name of greed. It's an unfortunate hallmark of capitalism that profits take precedence over integrity; I'm not naive enough to think differently, but it doesn't mean it has to sit well with me when United puts that on display so blatantly as they do. I'm sure they don't see it that way, and I'm sure lawyers would do their darndest to prove me wrong in court, but to me, it amounts to defrauding their customers.

I think the Limited Editions are a relic from a time when the old UC probably didn't think they'd still be making these things 20 years later (albeit under new ownership), or that demand would remain this strong. However, because business is business and money wins over reputation any day, let's just drop the pretense already and do away with the Limited Editions altogether. They've become nothing more than a meaningless and unfunny joke.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:14 am I don't disagree one bit with anything you've said, especially when it comes to ensuring that collectibles remain accessible and affordable to successive generations of collectors that come into this so late.

What I am dead set against are companies selling a product based and advertised upon a false premise. Whatever our personal feelings about Limited Editions, once the pre-determined number of units is produced, by the very definition of the term, that should be the end of it. If there is to be another release down the road, there should be considerable and appreciable changes to the collectible itself, not just the mere addition of a banner, or a new stand, or plaque, as a convenient way to break your covenant with your customers in the name of greed. It's an unfortunate hallmark of capitalism that profits take precedence over integrity; I'm not naive enough to think differently, but it doesn't mean it has to sit well with me when United puts that on display so blatantly as they do. I'm sure they don't see it that way, and I'm sure lawyers would do their darndest to prove me wrong in court, but to me, it amounts to defrauding their customers.

I think the Limited Editions are a relic from a time when the old UC probably didn't think they'd still be making these things 20 years later (albeit under new ownership), or that demand would remain this strong. However, because business is business and money wins over reputation any day, let's just drop the pretense already and do away with the Limited Editions altogether. They've become nothing more than a meaningless and unfunny joke.
It's true. It will be that I have never taken seriously the "limited edition" or "exclusive" labels, but as only marketing hook. Sadly, In the end, you get used to lying advertising.

Nowadays, exclusive is only the handcrafted, what you make yourself.

Anyway, I don't know if all the LEs that they have relaunched were from the old UC or if there are some from the new UC as well. Because if they all belong to the old UC, they could be taken as promises of the old company and the new UC would not have to fulfill, especially if being bad decisions for the business made by others. That may be his way of thinking. But is true that for us, as consumers, it's just empty marketing in the end. Give himself a bad reputation, because we don't have to know that. I myself wouldn't know that UC changed ownership if it weren't for you guys on this forum.

At least now they want to stop using LE, which shows that they don't feel good continuing to use it as a sales hook, only to breach it later if the product works well. That at least honors them, I think, because they could go on doing it perfectly with the new re-releases as limited editions, to create a sense of urgency / pressure on buyers ...other companies have been doing it all their lives without scruples.

It's actually been the new UC that has fallen into this practice, not the old. Kit can set the record straight as always, but as far as I can recall, the only mucking about with an LE item back in the old UC was Anduril.

Again, pardon my faulty memory, but in this case I'm basing this account on the annoyance that I and a lot of other collectors felt back then. Essentially UC announced that they would be releasing Anduril as their next LOTR sword (which was highly anticipated), but that it would be a Limited Edition, with special plaque that would set it apart from other LOTR releases thus far. The only other item that had been a Limited release thus far was the Shards of Narsil, and I think when people heard about Anduril, they went bananas. Because it was Limited (and here's where marketing plays a key), I think Anduril was snapped up faster than UC anticipated, so the decision was made pretty quickly to release an Unlimited version so that more people could own this sword, but more importantly, that UC could make more money over what I feel was an initial miscalculation with the LE...? Kit, do you have insight to share on the actual truth behind the scenes of this decision? My post is mainly conjecture, of course. Like the rest of us watching this unfold, I was but an outsider left holding an LE Anduril that was supposed to be exclusive, and then suddenly UC opens the floodgates and it turned into an Oprah show... "Everyone look under your seats! You get an Anduril! And you get an Anduril! You too get an Anduril! Everybody gets an Anduril!!!"

The only differences between the two were a return to a normal plaque that fit in more with the regular line, no gold-plated fittings on the hilt, and no gold spray on the pommel runes (which ironically made the UE version far more accurate to the prop than the more expensive LE).

The next time product duplication occurred was the Museum Collection series but I didn't see a big deal about those, even if they were LE, because the originals they were based off of (Sting and Glamdring) were open production items.

It wasn't until the new UC that things really began to go sideways with LEs, and it began with the Sauron items: the Helm and Gauntlet. I honestly don't know if the original editions of these were 100% fulfilled - at the time we didn't know that by the time UC went into bankruptcy, a lot of the LE items had never had their runs completed. However, the complete redesign of the stand for the Helm and a new wall mount for the Gauntlet made it fairly apparent that these were new editions because they had their own numbering, if I recall correctly. This never sat well with me, because again, I think they saw how much the originals were going for in the second-hand market and smelled blood in the water.

Then came a wave of re-issues, like the Gondor Helm, Isildur Helm, and Gondor Shield. This was maddening as well until Kit clarified the mystery of the incomplete runs. What made it a bit weird were the drastic changes to the shield, which made it pretty much a new product altogether.

Now we come at last to the era of the Sauron Mace, which is the latest to ignore the LE status and just go for broke with a gimmick 'banner' release to justify selling more of something that wasn't supposed to be made again. I think this also marks the first item produced by the new UC (not the old), that they have re-released and broken the LE promise on, so the argument of it being a 'new' company that is not bound by the promises of the old no longer holds water. Of the other LE items they've done (Helms, Bows, and Dain's Hammer) I don't think we are likely to see those again, but never say never with these guys. I can't remember if Thorin's Regal Sword was LE, but that's one for sure I don't think they will go back to.

So, there's a brief history of this issue... with a disclaimer on faulty memory and lack of insider knowledge. All I can say again is that I sincerely hope UC just stops doing LE releases altogether. They're just lying to us now if they slap a number on something, and I don't mean those new production run numbers they're using, but actual X of XXXX numbers.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:56 am Kit, do you have insight to share on the actual truth behind the scenes of this decision? My post is mainly conjecture, of course. Like the rest of us watching this unfold, I was but an outsider left holding an LE Anduril that was supposed to be exclusive, and then suddenly UC opens the floodgates and it turned into an Oprah show... "Everyone look under your seats! You get an Anduril! And you get an Anduril! You too get an Anduril! Everybody gets an Anduril!!!"
I have talked about that several times here. Anduril was always going to have a John Howe autographed limited edition and a regular unlimited edition. I came up with both versions, designed the two displays, and pitched them to New Line at the same time. The standard version was announced to distributors first, then when the John Howe autograph limited edition deal was finalized they were told that would be released first, and the regular edition to come the following year. How those were marketed by UC and their dealer base was a bit of a mess, but UC had no real marketing department at the time. I also came up with the Shards version on the display at the same time, but that did not get the green light until later, as the higher ups did not really get it.

The only LEs that the new UC made again were the two Sauron products - well three now with the mace. Or was there something else I am forgetting? The Gondor shield was not a continuation of the original LE, even though I suppose they could have if they wanted to. I don't think the original wood edition was ever completed.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:07 am
I have talked about that several times here. Anduril was always going to have a John Howe autographed limited edition and a regular unlimited edition. I came up with both versions, designed the two displays, and pitched them to New Line at the same time. The standard version was announced to distributors first, then when the John Howe autograph limited edition deal was finalized they were told that would be released first, and the regular edition to come the following year. How those were marketed by UC and their dealer base was a bit of a mess, but UC had no real marketing department at the time. I also came up with the Shards version on the display at the same time, but that did not get the green light until later, as the higher ups did not really get it.
I've said many times that the memory of these discussions fades with time given the amount of topics we do discuss over 20 years. As you were a part of the actual process, that's why I always invoke your name to set the record (and the memory) straight. I know it's annoying, but I never cease to be grateful for your patience in doing this. Also, the confusion surrounding the Anduril release that you refer to seems to have easily given rise to the situation that I remember, which is that somehow, despite the Unlimited version being planned for release first, it was the LE that arrived first instead, and there was so little to no buzz about the UE until after (likely because UC maybe didn't want to hurt the sale of the LE?) that the UE came as something of a surprise if your attention was only focused on the LE. Whatever the case, I don't feel there were enough differences between the two swords (plaque notwithstanding) that I could reconcile UC's strategy with them not essentially invalidating the point of a Limited Edition - and yes, I know that just about every replica company does this: release multiple versions of the same piece. I didn't like UC doing it, but that's just a personal opinion.
Nasnandos wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:07 am The only LEs that the new UC made again were the two Sauron products - well three now with the mace. Or was there something else I am forgetting? The Gondor shield was not a continuation of the original LE, even though I suppose they could have if they wanted to. I don't think the original wood edition was ever completed.
Yep, that's pretty much what I can recall and said as much . All other LE items that have come out again are part of unfinished runs. The possibility of the Witch-king's Helm coming back would also be similar to the Gondor Shield situation in that you've said it would be essentially a new product, not a continuation of the old. In that sense, it would be a breaking of the old one's LE status, but I think you said it wouldn't include the hood, so perhaps that makes it different enough in the minds of some?
This Space for Rent

My memory is not much better. I started keeping a file of emails and text document of details like this, because UC gets asked things like that all the time by collectors. There is literally no one from the old UC there who knows how to answer those questions, so they ask me. To save time, I just copy and paste replies from previous emails back to them now!
Valkrist wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:34 am there was so little to no buzz about the UE until after (likely because UC maybe didn't want to hurt the sale of the LE?) that the UE came as something of a surprise if your attention was only focused on the LE.
I don't think there was any buzz about the standard edition when the autographed edition was announced, other than me and one of UC's salesmen talking about it online. Dealers certainly were not mentioning it, but I doubt UC's sales department explained it to them, if at all. Things were happening fast. We were expecting about a year for the sell through of the autograph edition, but all were pre sold in a matter of a few weeks, as I recall. Had the autograph edition not sold, they probably would have cancelled the standard edition.
Valkrist wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:34 amWhatever the case, I don't feel there were enough differences between the two swords (plaque notwithstanding) that I could reconcile UC's strategy with them not essentially invalidating the point of a Limited Edition - and yes, I know that just about every replica company does this: release multiple versions of the same piece. I didn't like UC doing it, but that's just a personal opinion.
As I recall, UC did not like my idea and wanted the swords and plaques to be the same. I just forgot that decision had been made, or maybe I just ignored it. I thought there should be something else other than the designers autograph on a piece of paper to make the first run special.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:14 am I don't think there was any buzz about the standard edition when the autographed edition was announced, other than me and one of UC's salesmen talking about it online. Dealers certainly were not mentioning it, but I doubt UC's sales department explained it to them, if at all. Things were happening fast. We were expecting about a year for the sell through of the autograph edition, but all were pre sold in a matter of a few weeks, as I recall. Had the autograph edition not sold, they probably would have cancelled the standard edition.
Well, that's certainly an eye-opener into what happened. It really explains why the UE appeared so quickly - yes, it was planned all along and thus it was ready to go, but when UC realized how much a demand there was for this thing based on the LE disappearing so fast, it was really the only thing they could do to open the gates and let it loose. I think if all this had been made clear to customers as the plan from the start - developing, producing, and releasing the two versions concurrently - there might not have been any backlash in the minds of some, such as myself. As you said though, they had next to nothing in terms of marketing and FB was not really a big thing back then.

All water under the bridge, I assure you, but it does dredge up bad memories now that the new UC is doing things like this new-not-new version of the Mace. If you have any influence at all with their decision-makers, please advise them to stop with the LEs altogether. It's an unnecessary gimmick.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:32 pm I already have, many, many times. As I said several posts up, I don't think any more limited eds will be allowed with that license. Other than the second Sauron helm, I don't think UC even really wanted or planned on doing the other two.
Speaking of LE's, quick question :) Have always wondered about the difference in Narsil and Shards of Narsil's fullers? Which is accurate? Narsil I'm guessing?
20211220_101323.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JJByers wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:18 am
Nasnandos wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:32 pm I already have, many, many times. As I said several posts up, I don't think any more limited eds will be allowed with that license. Other than the second Sauron helm, I don't think UC even really wanted or planned on doing the other two.
Speaking of LE's, quick question :) Have always wondered about the difference in Narsil and Shards of Narsil's fullers? Which is accurate? Narsil I'm guessing?
20211220_101323.jpg
The Shards are correct, and are cast aluminum I believe. I don't own them so I can't say for sure.
LOTR-FOTR-PRODUCT-WEP-FAN001.jpg

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:14 am My memory is not much better. I started keeping a file of emails and text document of details like this, because UC gets asked things like that all the time by collectors. There is literally no one from the old UC there who knows how to answer those questions, so they ask me. To save time, I just copy and paste replies from previous emails back to them now!
Valkrist wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:34 am there was so little to no buzz about the UE until after (likely because UC maybe didn't want to hurt the sale of the LE?) that the UE came as something of a surprise if your attention was only focused on the LE.
I don't think there was any buzz about the standard edition when the autographed edition was announced, other than me and one of UC's salesmen talking about it online. Dealers certainly were not mentioning it, but I doubt UC's sales department explained it to them, if at all. Things were happening fast. We were expecting about a year for the sell through of the autograph edition, but all were pre sold in a matter of a few weeks, as I recall. Had the autograph edition not sold, they probably would have cancelled the standard edition.
Valkrist wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:34 amWhatever the case, I don't feel there were enough differences between the two swords (plaque notwithstanding) that I could reconcile UC's strategy with them not essentially invalidating the point of a Limited Edition - and yes, I know that just about every replica company does this: release multiple versions of the same piece. I didn't like UC doing it, but that's just a personal opinion.
As I recall, UC did not like my idea and wanted the swords and plaques to be the same. I just forgot that decision had been made, or maybe I just ignored it. I thought there should be something else other than the designers autograph on a piece of paper to make the first run special.
Thank you very much Kit for all that valuable information. :D

I, who have only been collecting for two years, did not know in what products was the change from the old to the new UC.

And the Helm of Eomer which is LE at 1500 units. is it new UC or is it the old one?

Do you know if the next release of Théodred's sword will still be LE after this decision?

I think it is good that more products like LE are not launched, that they are manufactured while there is interest and they are sold. Good for UC and for the collectors... it only hurts speculators, because hoarding for resale will lose its meaning.

I wish they had made that decision before the new Sauron and Eomer.

JJByers wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:18 am Speaking of LE's, quick question :) Have always wondered about the difference in Narsil and Shards of Narsil's fullers? Which is accurate? Narsil I'm guessing?
20211220_101323.jpg
The Shard's are closer to being movie accurate, although the fuller on the Shard's prop I had did not exactly match the length on Narsil hero prop blade. UC's Narsil/Anduril groove was much shorter because they were not able to mill a groove that long with the equipment they had at the time. They can now, so the MC Anduril will be correct - if that ever gets made.
N2darkness wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:16 am The Shards are correct, and are cast aluminum I believe. I don't own them so I can't say for sure.
Cast zinc, as I recall.
KRDS

XerachCruz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:26 am Do you know if the next release of Théodred's sword will still be LE after this decision?
They may still serial number some items or serialize first production runs, but I have been told that nothing can be limited going forward.

That does not mean some things will not end up being scarce and rare. If only a small number of people have interest in those and only production run is ever made, it will still become rare and expensive on the after market. That's just the nature of it.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:38 am The Shard's are closer to being movie accurate, although the fuller on the Shard's prop I had did not exactly match the length on Narsil hero prop blade. UC's Narsil/Anduril groove was much shorter because they were not able to mill a groove that long with the equipment they had at the time. They can now, so the MC Anduril will be correct - if that ever gets made.
I found a retailer online that already had a bunch of the UC item numbers already for some new items.

So, if they have already been generated and telling retailers, is it still possible to have a product removed and not produced?
Screenshot_20211221-152643_Instagram.jpg

Valkrist wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:22 pm Pity the blue Sting is not among those new products. :'(
My thoughts exactly. I had hoped that would be an easy project, since I have been doing the same colored blade process with another one of UC's factories for several years now. Since February UC's sword factory has made 5 or 6 blade samples that I have rejected. Another one is coming to me that looks correct in photos, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have it perfected now.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:18 pm I found a retailer online that already had a bunch of the UC item numbers already for some new items.

So, if they have already been generated and telling retailers, is it still possible to have a product removed and not produced?
Sure, but I did not say it was cancelled. It's just taking forever, but I know there are supply chain and other issues they are dealing with. Other than a rough proto with a carbon steel blade that I tested about a year-and-a-half ago, I'm still waiting on the factory to get me a complete sample.

I am worried that the materials and labor costs will have increased so much by the time it it's ready for production that it won't be possible to make any longer. I really, really hope that will not be the case, but the way our government has been driving the dollar value down all year does not give me much confidence for 2022.
KRDS

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:23 am Kit, can you speak to the likelihood that the boromir dagger and scabbard will go ahead? I know it was mentioned a while ago, but the lack of any news worries me a little, I’m making a scabbard fort MSSC Boromir and I really want you he accompanying dagger to complete the set
The only scabbard in the works is the one for the Eomer sword. Bormir's dagger is not currently in my schedule, so nothing has been done on that at the moment.
KRDS

Excited to hear that Theodred's sword is coming in 2022. Also love the whole "Rohan revival". Eomer's spear looks great too.

I hope that the new Amazon "LOTR" series will further strenghten the interest (and demand) in all LOTR related collectibles, especially weapons and give way to more of never before made/released replicas.
On that subject, Kit, were there any talks about Faramir's and Denethor's swords in UC? And what do you think are the odds of them being developed/released in the near future if at all, having current trends in interest/sales in mind?
I know that you are constantly being bombarded by questions, but your inside info is precious and I very much enjoy reading your posts here...it's like unwrapping presents :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

The Rohan pieces are definitely what is most active at the moment. If the new stuff sells well, hopefully we can do the Theoden spear and the other two scabbards and complete that mini collection.

I have already mentioned here a few times that Faramir's sword is going to be made. We have talked about a few other swords that could follow it. UC seems to have equal interest in Haldir's sword, Sauron's sword, and Denethor's sword. No decisions have been made on any of those, but I would love to get a few more of the Gondorian and Elvish weapons made.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:27 pm The Rohan pieces are definitely what is most active at the moment. If the new stuff sells well, hopefully we can do the Theoden spear and the other two scabbards and complete that mini collection.

I have already mentioned here a few times that Faramir's sword is going to be made. We have talked about a few other swords that could follow it. UC seems to have equal interest in Haldir's sword, Sauron's sword, and Denethor's sword. No decisions have been made on any of those, but I would love to get a few more of the Gondorian and Elvish weapons made.
Rohan collection is great. I love that you and UC covered all major Rohan caracters. The collection feels complete to me.
Sorry for bothering you with already discussed question, but thank you for your patience and for answering again.
Happy to hear that Faramir's sword will be made :crazy:
It will be amazing if UC decides to do Denethor's sword and thus complete Gondor collection like now with Rohan. :inlove:

Also, Haldir's sword? Yes please. The more the merrier :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

Lindir wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:19 pm If UC make Haldir’s sword or Denethor’s sword it would be fainting time again, which I haven’t done in a long while.

If they make both I’ll probably have a heart attack.
Attention all longtime members who are totally familiar with Lindir's chronic "Elven Collectibles" malady...
Prepare to standby with outstretched arms and buckets of water... and we will also need someone who knows CPR. :rolleye:
Last edited by Deimos on Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

JJByers wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:10 am @Nasnandos back to LEs (former) I can't recall, was the Dain Hammer only 1500? Some one listed one on eBay (at $3000 lol) and claims only 600 were made. I thought the Helm and Hammer were 1500 units. Though alot of Hammers broke to my understanding, so a lower amount in circulation is possible. Thanks in advance.
The Dain helm was limited to 1500, but the hammer was not limited. I was told less that 1% of each were defective-cracked, which is normal, but as I recall the two I hammers I purchased were both cracked and had to be returned.

That was back when I had some kind of a curse and almost everything I got from UC or Weta had some kind of defect though. Not as bad now, especially with Weta.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:51 am
JJByers wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:10 am @Nasnandos back to LEs (former) I can't recall, was the Dain Hammer only 1500? Some one listed one on eBay (at $3000 lol) and claims only 600 were made. I thought the Helm and Hammer were 1500 units. Though alot of Hammers broke to my understanding, so a lower amount in circulation is possible. Thanks in advance.
The Dain helm was limited to 1500, but the hammer was not limited. I was told less that 1% of each were defective-cracked, which is normal, but as I recall the two I hammers I purchased were both cracked and had to be returned.

That was back when I had some kind of a curse and almost everything I got from UC or Weta had some kind of defect though. Not as bad now, especially with Weta.
You and I both had that curse, I recall our conversation lol. You mentioned if 2 in 100 items are defective you would get one of them, and I added that I get the second lol.
So safe to run with more than 600 units produced of UC3166? Or numbers unaccounted for? I asked this seller where he got the information but all they said was, "Everything I found online points to 600 made." But does not provide resources. I get asked a bit about value and edition size as well for UC3166, and as of now have to go back and correct myself with some folks lol, regarding it as a serialized open edition piece not LE. The highest serial on record from a collector is #0147 at this time via FoU.

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:54 am I think I had them numbered on the underside of the hammer head, but I have not looked at one in a long time.
Didn't you snag Revan's last hammer? Did it crack as well? Bummer if so.

Sidenote, do you have any image of the scabbard to Bard's sword? Contemplating a go at it. I have the weta books, which has thr art and one decent shot of it.

Merry Christmas btw everyone.

JJByers wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:19 am
Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:54 am I think I had them numbered on the underside of the hammer head, but I have not looked at one in a long time.
Didn't you snag Revan's last hammer? Did it crack as well? Bummer if so.

Sidenote, do you have any image of the scabbard to Bard's sword? Contemplating a go at it. I have the weta books, which has thr art and one decent shot of it.

Merry Christmas btw everyone.
No, I think the hammer I bought from him was in great condition.

I have the prop master photos of the Bard scabbard, but all of The Hobbit imagery is heavily water marked, so I can't release any of it. I never had the prop, so I don't have any of my own photos.
KRDS

Looks like a very early concept that Kit probably threw together, so I shouldn't think that's anywhere near final. The picture of Martin Freeman next to it is what concerns me. I truly hope this will be the LOTR version, and speaking of that, Kit, will the dimensions be corrected from the original LOTR Sting? I think you said they were off, though I still like it way better than Noble Collection's version that was actor scale and needed to go on a serious diet.
This Space for Rent

That's just one of the color tests on a blank blade. It will be the LOTR version, like the concept art I posted in this thread back in May.

I think I already mentioned this back then, but this version will use the same sword tooling as the standard Sting sword. United did not want to commit to the big expense of retooling the whole sword to be more accurate like the MC version. They did agree to letting me correct the blade engraving to match the movie prop though, so that will be like the MC etch.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:17 pm That's just one of the color tests on a blank blade. It will be the LOTR version, like the concept art I posted in this thread back in May.

I think I already mentioned this back then, but this version will use the same sword tooling as the standard Sting sword. United did not want to commit to the big expense of retooling the whole sword to be more accurate like the MC version. They did agree to letting me correct the blade engraving to match the movie prop though, so that will be like the MC etch.
Thank you getting them to correct the engraving. I wish they released a new standard LOTR Sting with the correct engraving, because an always blue version does not look attractive to me. I don't have space to have the replicas in triplicate, I already have LOTR and Hobbit sting.

If they reissued it corrected, I'm sure I would buy it again and give the one I have to a friend. :)

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:17 pm That's just one of the color tests on a blank blade. It will be the LOTR version, like the concept art I posted in this thread back in May.

When you say "tooling" is that the molds for the cast metal parts (hilt and pommel)?

Also, are all the UC blades CNC made? cut, milled or ground? You had mentioned that Anduril's fuller couldn't be made longer due to the capabilities of the machine, which I assume is a mill. If things were done by hand there wouldn't be a limitation, but price of labor would be very expensive. I ask because of the bevels on the Sting blade could go down to the hilt further, but if that is also a limitation it is understandable.

XerachCruz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:59 am Thank you getting them to correct the engraving. I wish they released a new standard LOTR Sting with the correct engraving, because an always blue version does not look attractive to me. I don't have space to have the replicas in triplicate, I already have LOTR and Hobbit sting.

If they reissued it corrected, I'm sure I would buy it again and give the one I have to a friend. :)
I did ask that they use the correct one for the standard version going forward, but I don't know when that will happen.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”