Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Ronin wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:18 am Right. but Kit also mentioned the other helms had rivet changes that were wrong from 2015 that were supposed to be corrected.

I hate to have to pass on these this time around but, it's hard to buy them knowing they're an inferior version even if only slightly.
Well, like I said, I have not seen anything from the actual new production myself yet. I have just heard a few things from collectors so far.

The issue in 2015 was primarily rivets. Some were added where they were not before, and some that were small and flat before, were made slightly larger and domed. There were some steel bands that were a bit uneven too. They were fixed on the approval samples this time around, but I don't know if they followed that in production, other than the Gondorian helm. There was also an issue with the wing crest shapes on Isildur's helm in 2015. They did make new tooling and correct that this time. I can't imagine they did not use it in production, but I have not see it yet.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Ronin wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 am That's incredible......you guys still get kids? I haven't seen a trick or treater in our neighborhood in 3 years. Kind of sad. All the kids on our street grew up. Or maybe they're visiting more bountiful neighborhoods.
Yes, about 250 typically at the house where we set up the Driveway of Doom haunt. People come from other neighborhoods too. It could have something to do with the fact that the yard looks like this :)
https://youtu.be/noK7VqSuP9g?t=74

Apparently the blue glow from the floodlights can be seen from several blocks away. I have been doing this haunt for about 10 years now. We used to get around 300 kids, so the numbers have been dwindling every year.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:20 am
Ronin wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 am That's incredible......you guys still get kids? I haven't seen a trick or treater in our neighborhood in 3 years. Kind of sad. All the kids on our street grew up. Or maybe they're visiting more bountiful neighborhoods.
Yes, about 250 typically at the house where we set up the Driveway of Doom haunt. People come from other neighborhoods too. It could have something to do with the fact that the yard looks like this :)

Apparently the blue glow from the floodlights can be seen from several blocks away. I have been doing this haunt for about 10 years now. We used to get around 300 kids, so the numbers have been dwindling every year.
That looks incredible! How long does that take you to set up??

My brother used to set up an elaborate haunted house for halloween about 15-20 years ago. I think it peaked at about 1000 people on halloween night, but he used to run it a couple weeks leading up to halloween. Was pretty fun back in the day.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:20 am Yes, about 250 typically at the house where we set up the Driveway of Doom haunt. People come from other neighborhoods too. It could have something to do with the fact that the yard looks like this :)

Wow, that's amazing! The scene where the animatronic zombies have the projected flames is something straight out of a film!

I thought storing statue boxes was difficult, this must take an entire 2 or 3 car garage to store it all. Super impressive and I'm sure the kids and neighbors get a huge kick out of it.

BladeCollector wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:58 am That looks incredible! How long does that take you to set up??
We start on October 1st adding stuff every few days. The bulk of it takes about two full 8 hours days before Halloween to set up, and the animatronics usually only go out on Halloween.

This year it rained constantly Saturday and Sunday, so we were trying like crazy to get everything out on Halloween day. Not enough time. It's missing torches that line the driveway, the fog machines, a laser portal, the bubbling cauldron, all kinds of stuff. I'm just happy we got about 80% of it out in time, but the burning zombie house was not set up at all when the Trick or Treaters started to arrive. That was going to be the big new feature this year.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:23 am Wow, that's amazing! The scene where the animatronic zombies have the projected flames is something straight out of a film!

I thought storing statue boxes was difficult, this must take an entire 2 or 3 car garage to store it all. Super impressive and I'm sure the kids and neighbors get a huge kick out of it.
Yeah, that was a lot of fun to set up. The smoke machine kind of obscured it too much at times because we had no wind. It was my favorite part to setup this year, but almost no one got to see it.

We have the storage down to a science. It all fits into tubs packed in an 8x10' loft, from floor to ceiling. My UC and Weta boxes take up far more space in my own garage!
KRDS

DracoAdamantus wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:32 am I just saw it the scabbard on the website and got excited (it wasn't there for me yesterday), but when I click it its not there. Why must BUDK taunt me so?
It's probably not going to be available until late Spring/early Summer 2023. They have not made those in so long that I requested an approval sample to check before they start production.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:22 am
DracoAdamantus wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:32 am I just saw it the scabbard on the website and got excited (it wasn't there for me yesterday), but when I click it its not there. Why must BUDK taunt me so?
It's probably not going to be available until late Spring/early Summer 2023. They have not made those in so long that I requested an approval sample to check before they start production.
The blue ones are already in stock and shipping, isn't the white version identical? Or is it just to check the material used? Mine is more of a suede than leather, but so is the Sting scabbard.

Steel Servant wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:30 am
Ronin wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:37 am Looks like the Elendil helm is in stock at Budk if anyone wants to pick it up. Also saw the Glamdring white scabbard but no estimated date yet.
The helm of King Isildur is in stock now as well.
I wish BUDK let you do a monthly payments thing. I would happily get all of the LE stuff now for my collection, I just can't spend all that money all at once, and I'm afraid if I wait and do it like one every other month they'll be sold out.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:29 am The blue ones are already in stock and shipping, isn't the white version identical? Or is it just to check the material used? Mine is more of a suede than leather, but so is the Sting scabbard.
It's to check the leather type and white dye color. It took forever to get the original to look right and I don't want the reissue coming in looking like 1960s white faux leather go go dancer boots.

The Sting scabbard is actually changing from suede to the same brown leather used on The Hobbit version. The suede supplier colors are too unreliable now.

Any time we reissue something with a specific leather color, the original leather supplier is either long gone, or they no longer supply that specific color. It's just an ongoing thing to deal with. The Strider scabbard is being reissued, so I'm currently working on matching that leather color to the current color of the Strider sword...which is slightly different than the reissue color from 2019, which itself was slightly different from the original Strider sword from 20 years ago!
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:12 am
N2darkness wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:29 am The blue ones are already in stock and shipping, isn't the white version identical? Or is it just to check the material used? Mine is more of a suede than leather, but so is the Sting scabbard.
It's to check the leather type and white dye color. It took forever to get the original to look right and I don't want the reissue coming in looking like 1960s white faux leather go go dancer boots.

The Sting scabbard is actually changing from suede to the same brown leather used on The Hobbit version. The suede supplier colors are too unreliable now.

Any time we reissue something with a specific leather color, the original leather supplier is either long gone, or they no longer supply that specific color. It's just an ongoing thing to deal with. The Strider scabbard is being reissued, so I'm currently working on matching that leather color to the current color of the Strider sword...which is slightly different than the reissue color from 2019, which itself was slightly different from the original Strider sword from 20 years ago!
That's good about the Sting scabbard as the ones just released are extremely light almost tan.
IMG_20221104_111757_600.jpg
It's sounds like if you want a one of the rereleases of the Stiders scabbard you should buy the rerelease of the sword as well if you want them to match. Considering how long these have been made and the subsequent rereleases it's completely understandable. I'm glad I got them the first time around, but some items are starting to show there age, like wrinkles in the leather on scabbards or adhesive coming loose on helmets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:12 am

Hello, I typically lurk in the background and read messages. I have never actually posted, but am happy to hear that you will be re-releasing the Glamdring White and Strider Scabbards. Your Halloween setup is also pretty badass.

Valkrist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:20 am Awww....crap! That was me! Sorry!!! xP

Instead of quoting you like I meant to, I accidentally edited your post instead thinking I was crafting my own reply. No way to retrieve your original post now, so you'll have to repost what you said.

Sorry! :embarasse
I figured!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

All good. No worries :thumbs_up

By the way, I see you're at 9999 posts. You've reached the Great Barrier I guess. :lol:

Hey guys, I just received the re-release Gondorian and Isildur helms. Happy to answer any questions and or share pictures. Just wanted to say the rivets don't seem to be an issue, but be aware these aren't shipped in the best packaging, the front detailing on my Isildur helm was bent.
Fixable, but disappointing.
Also they come heavily oiled and dirty. Definitely have something ready to wipe these down when you get them. I completely understand the heavy oil to prevent rust during the shipping and sales process, but this seems like overkill, plus it's very gritty. It took me almost 2 hours to clean both helms and apply renaissance wax.

Having not seen the original Gondorian helm in person, was there ever an issue of it sitting very low on the stand? The one I received sits so low it almost touches the base.

Thanks,
-J
Last edited by Jerimiah on Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:58 pm
MiddleEarthFanPa wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:58 am Hello, I typically lurk in the background and read messages. I have never actually posted, but am happy to hear that you will be re-releasing the Glamdring White and Strider Scabbards. Your Halloween setup is also pretty badass.
Great to see you posting over here as well. And as Tyler said, we'd all love to see some of your work.
Thanks guys, I created 2 posts this morning, one of my collection and one with some of the pieces I have made.

MiddleEarthFanPa wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:28 am
MiddleEarthFanPa wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:58 am Hello, I typically lurk in the background and read messages. I have never actually posted, but am happy to hear that you will be re-releasing the Glamdring White and Strider Scabbards. Your Halloween setup is also pretty badass.
Great to see you posting over here as well. And as Tyler said, we'd all love to see some of your work.
Thanks guys, I created 2 posts this morning, one of my collection and one with some of the pieces I have made.
Welcome to the Forum. I am just popping back to the forum after about a decade away. I've popped in every once in a while over time, but have got back into working on my collection lately. So, I feel almost like a newbie again. I love your hand made projects, as well as your collection. Very impressive!
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Jerimiah wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:13 pm Hey guys, I just received the re-release Gondorian and Isildur helms. Happy to answer any questions and or share pictures. Just wanted to say the rivets don't seem to be an issue, but be aware these aren't shipped in the best packaging, the front detailing on my Isildur helm was bent.
Fixable, but disappointing. Also they come heavily oiled and dirty. Definitely have something ready to wipe these down when you get them. I completely understand the heavy oil to prevent rust during the shipping and sales process, but this seems like overkill, plus it's very gritty. It took me almost 2 hours to clean both helms and apply renaissance wax.

Having not seen the original Gondorian helm in person, was there ever an issue of it sitting very low on the stand? The one I received sits so low it almost touches the base.

Thanks,
-J
I'd love to see any images that you have of the Gondorian Infantry Helm. I was considering purchasing one, but have since been reconsidering after reading some of the conversation about the rivets. I haven't found any images that seem to show what was being discussed, so I would very much appreciate if you had some that you could share.

Steel Servant wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:37 am
MiddleEarthFanPa wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:28 am

Welcome to the Forum. I am just popping back to the forum after about a decade away. I've popped in every once in a while over time, but have got back into working on my collection lately. So, I feel almost like a newbie again. I love your hand made projects, as well as your collection. Very impressive!
Thank you for the compliment, it is good to hear that you are working on your collection after taking some time off.

Cirdan23 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:03 pm
Jerimiah wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:13 pm Hey guys, I just received the re-release Gondorian and Isildur helms. Happy to answer any questions and or share pictures. Just wanted to say the rivets don't seem to be an issue, but be aware these aren't shipped in the best packaging, the front detailing on my Isildur helm was bent.
Fixable, but disappointing. Also they come heavily oiled and dirty. Definitely have something ready to wipe these down when you get them. I completely understand the heavy oil to prevent rust during the shipping and sales process, but this seems like overkill, plus it's very gritty. It took me almost 2 hours to clean both helms and apply renaissance wax.

Thanks,
-J
I'd love to see any images that you have of the Gondorian Infantry Helm. I was considering purchasing one, but have since been reconsidering after reading some of the conversation about the rivets. I haven't found any images that seem to show what was being discussed, so I would very much appreciate if you had some that you could share.
Here are a couple pictures of my helm after I cleaned it. Sorry if they aren't the best quality, I was trying to get the file size down below the attachment limit. Hope this helps.
20221107_124523.jpg
20221107_124414.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, that's weird... if that's a reissue, I don't see the rivets at all. When they first appeared, they were positioned in the brow area, just to either side of the nose guard. Also, yes, that helm is sitting very low on the stand. Either the stand's post height had been shortened, or the Helm is missing the thick padding on the inside top that cushions it and provides additional lift while on the stand.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:29 am Well, that's weird... if that's a reissue, I don't see the rivets at all. When they first appeared, they were positioned in the brow area, just to either side of the nose guard. Also, yes, that helm is sitting very low on the stand. Either the stand's post height had been shortened, or the Helm is missing the thick padding on the inside top that cushions it and provides additional lift while on the stand.
I was afraid of that. Here's what the inside of the helm looks like. I assume you are referring to something like what is in the high elven warrior helm? Which would make a lot more sense. The original release Elendil and re-release Isildur helms I have are made similar to this Gondorian one, with no additional padding at the top.
20221107_155739.jpg

Jerimiah wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:08 am I was afraid of that. Here's what the inside of the helm looks like. I assume you are referring to something like what is in the high elven warrior helm? Which would make a lot more sense. The original release Elendil and re-release Isildur helms I have are made similar to this Gondorian one, with no additional padding at the top.
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see the rivets were done correctly on this run.

There is not supposed to be padding on the inside of the steel helms, just the leather lining. This one does appear to be missing the leather laced hole at the top inside the helm though. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure that was on the original production run. You made it tighter or looser to make it sit higher or lower on your head, but that really does not affect how high it sits on the display.

For the helm to sit that low UC must have made the post shorter than it was originally. Some helm displays had longer posts that others, and this one is supposed to be around 13 3/4" tall, including the top cap. I think the others were around 13". I bet someone forgot this detail and made them all the same length, or maybe they were just trying to simplify production.

It's an easy fix. Just add a foam or wood block 3/4" -1" thick on top of the existing post cap.
KRDS

Jerimiah wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:10 am
Cirdan23 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:03 pm

Thanks,
-J
Here are a couple pictures of my helm after I cleaned it. Sorry if they aren't the best quality, I was trying to get the file size down below the attachment limit. Hope this helps.

20221107_124523.jpg
20221107_124414.jpg
Those pictures work quite well - many thanks!

The rivets aren't anywhere near as bad as I had imagined from descriptions that I read. I think I will go ahead and order one when I get home tonight.

Thanks again.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:21 am
Jerimiah wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:08 am I was afraid of that. Here's what the inside of the helm looks like. I assume you are referring to something like what is in the high elven warrior helm? Which would make a lot more sense. The original release Elendil and re-release Isildur helms I have are made similar to this Gondorian one, with no additional padding at the top.
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see the rivets were done correctly on this run.

There is not supposed to be padding on the inside of the steel helms, just the leather lining. This one does appear to be missing the leather laced hole at the top inside the helm though. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure that was on the original production run. You made it tighter or looser to make it sit higher or lower on your head, but that really does not affect how high it sits on the display.

For the helm to sit that low UC must have made the post shorter than it was originally. Some helm displays had longer posts that others, and this one is supposed to be around 13 3/4" tall, including the top cap. I think the others were around 13". I bet someone forgot this detail and made them all the same length, or maybe they were just trying to simplify production.

It's an easy fix. Just add a foam or wood block 3/4" -1" thick on top of the existing post cap.
Thanks for the reply and for the welcome. I've been visiting the forum for a while but never made an account. I figured if I could help, now was as good of a time as any. I really appreciate all of the information, it's great to see all of the behind the scenes insight on the production process, and the history of these pieces.
Does anyone have a picture of the inside of an original release Gondorian Helm? I wonder if the adjustment strap might be something I could replicate. The helm is definitely not wearable as is. Adjusting the post shouldn't be an issue, but now I'm really regretting not buying a lathe I saw on sale last month. Thanks again for the information.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:26 am
Thanks and welcome to the forum. I had a look at your collection in the other thread and it's pretty badass!
Thank you

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 am
Jerimiah wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:05 pm Does anyone have a picture of the inside of an original release Gondorian Helm?
Here is a photo of the inside of my prototype UC helm. I never got one from production and I cannot remember if we did this in production, so someone here who owns an original needs to confirm that.
Awesome, thanks for the picture, I appreciate it.
Jamie Shakespeare wrote: I own an original and it doesn't have that. Nor do the Elendil or Isildur helms (both original runs)
Good to know, thanks Jamie.

If the original helms don't have that, are they actually wearable? Mine sits far too low on my head.

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:01 pm I own an original and it doesn't have that. Nor do the Elendil or Isildur helms (both original runs)
It was not in the other two, just the Gondor helm. Your helm is from the original 2004-05 run? Not one of the later production runs?

I ask because I had it confirmed yesterday from another collector that the helm he bought in 2005 does have it.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:22 am Kit, the original run of the Gondor helm came in the brown, movie-agnostic sleeve, correct? I have one, but it's packed up though I think I can access it to inspect it. The Elendil helm I have has a blue sleeve from the original RoTK run, and the Isildur helm, which came a bit later, also has the brown sleeve that the Gondor helm has.
I think so, but I don't have the original packaging.

It's not a big deal. Just one of those little details that my memory is fuzzy about. It's a cool feature that was on the prop. Some production helms must have been made like my original UC prototype, because I know of one other person that has one, but I don't recall why it was dropped. It could have been due to production problems, or just something the factory stopped doing at some point and no one realized it.
KRDS

darthwhitey wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:03 pm Got my new Isildur helm today from this new run.

As another member posted, it's in a plastic bag and covered in some kind of oil.

Once clean, I'll hit it with the Renaissance Wax, but what should I use to clean it? Just wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth?
I'm sure someone on here can give you better advice, but I used isopropyl alcohol and some shop rags to remove the oil. Be careful with removing the oil, though. There was enough grit on mine to make it abrasive and scratch the finish.
20221105_202630.jpg

darthwhitey wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:03 pm As another member posted, it's in a plastic bag and covered in some kind of oil.
That's correct. Anything carbon steel from India comes polybagged and slathered in oil to keep it from rusting. They have always done that, and for good reason.
darthwhitey wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:03 pm Once clean, I'll hit it with the Renaissance Wax, but what should I use to clean it? Just wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth?
I would not use microfiber cloth, or anything abrasive. Wipe off as much as you can with paper towels or rags. If you want to remove it all and seal it with wax, as suggested above, isopropyl alcohol works to remove all the oil, or a light degreaser

Carbon steel will oxidize over time if not oiled, so if you don't seal it with a wax, I suggest lightly oiling it periodically using a mineral oil, machine oil, gun oil, or a high quality preservative oil like Break Free CLP. In general, if it is displayed in a humidity controlled room, it should be OK for long periods of time, as long as you don't let dust accumulate on it.
KRDS

DracoAdamantus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:10 am So I'm pretty sure I know the answer here, but I want to ask to be sure.

This is totally a scam/knockoff website right?
https://www.unitedcutleryknife.com/

I was looking into Thorin's regal sword and this seems way too good to be true, which probably means that it is.
https://www.unitedcutleryknife.com/mode ... kenshield/
Yes, United does not have a retail website and only sells to wholesalers and businesses.

Also noticed today that the replacement helmet stands are now available.
helmstand.jpg
helmstand2.jpg

https://www.budk.com/The-Lord-Of-The-Ri ... iall-51513

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”