Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

DracoAdamantus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:10 am So I'm pretty sure I know the answer here, but I want to ask to be sure.

This is totally a scam/knockoff website right?
https://www.unitedcutleryknife.com/

I was looking into Thorin's regal sword and this seems way too good to be true, which probably means that it is.
https://www.unitedcutleryknife.com/mode ... kenshield/
That looks like a scam website to me. Not just because of the prices, but there are items on it that have not been in production in many, many years.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 am
Jerimiah wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:05 pm Does anyone have a picture of the inside of an original release Gondorian Helm?
Here is a photo of the inside of my prototype UC helm. I never got one from production and I cannot remember if we did this in production, so someone here who owns an original needs to confirm that.
I own Elendil´s helmet from the original run and it only comes with the leather lining. No padding at all.

TMcLim wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:14 pm Great news about the helmet stands! I definitely want to grab one for Theoden's helmet been I order one.
I recently started collecting the helmets (my Rivendell warrior arrived the other day), and I cant be glad enough this helmet stand just released. Because it's dawning on me that the shoulder armor displays, while absolutely beautiful, make the helmets far too tall to fit on any shelf or display case I currently own.

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:31 am
DracoAdamantus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:10 am So I'm pretty sure I know the answer here, but I want to ask to be sure.

This is totally a scam/knockoff website right?
https://www.unitedcutleryknife.com/

I was looking into Thorin's regal sword and this seems way too good to be true, which probably means that it is.
https://www.unitedcutleryknife.com/mode ... kenshield/
That looks like a scam website to me. Not just because of the prices, but there are items on it that have not been in production in many, many years.
Well you know what they say. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

DracoAdamantus wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:52 am
TMcLim wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:14 pm Great news about the helmet stands! I definitely want to grab one for Theoden's helmet been I order one.
I recently started collecting the helmets (my Rivendell warrior arrived the other day), and I cant be glad enough this helmet stand just released. Because it's dawning on me that the shoulder armor displays, while absolutely beautiful, make the helmets far too tall to fit on any shelf or display case I currently own.
There that and having continuity between all your helmet stands.

TMcLim wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:52 pm
DracoAdamantus wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:52 am
There that and having continuity between all your helmet stands.
That too

I think the post length on UC's replacement LOTR stand is 13" long, including the cap on top. It will work for most of the helms without making them sit up too high. I don't think it's tall enough for the WK or Sauron helms, but it's fairly easy to add another wood part to the top cap to make it taller, if needed.

I looked at one of these yesterday and noticed that the base shape is the same as the old helms stands, but the edge molding and wood color is not exactly the same. Not a huge difference, but it's not an exact match.
KRDS

DracoAdamantus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:08 am
darthwhitey wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:36 am Wow. I didn’t know that! I would think a microfiber cloth would be gentler than an old shop rag or paper towels?!

Thanks guys!
I'd think the same thing. Why else are they what you use for polishing/buffing things like car paint?
UPDATE: I just cleaned up my new helmet with the isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth. Worked like a charm. NO scratching at all. Now time to hit it with the Renaissance wax.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

So as some of you probably saw on my posts asking for repair/finishing tips, I recently acquired a secondhand Shards of Narsil. (Side note, I'm on the last step of restoration and should be finishing that up this weekend, I'll post some pics when it's done). I got it for a pretty decent price because:

1. It was in kind of rough shape, there were scratches in the varnish and dents along the edge of the mounting plaque.
2. There was no original box
3. There was no COA

The first one I handled fine, the second one kind of disappointing but isn't a major issue. But it feels like part of my collection is missing by not having the COA, especially for a LE item like this. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement sent from United Cutlery, if I can provide proof of ownership? And if so what's the best avenue for that? I submitted a ticket to their customer service but it just sat there for two weeks and then automatically closed, and when I called them the lady said I should get a follow-up in the next few days, and nothing came from that either.

generally they don't reprint certificates, especially for such an old item. That was released I think under the old UC before they were bought out. Your best options are either a straight up photocopy, or ideally - get a high res scan of someones, and isolate the black text from the parchment textures. then print this onto parchment paper, and you'll have a damn near perfect copy. Will take some photoshop work though

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:39 am generally they don't reprint certificates, especially for such an old item. That was released I think under the old UC before they were bought out. Your best options are either a straight up photocopy, or ideally - get a high res scan of someones, and isolate the black text from the parchment textures. then print this onto parchment paper, and you'll have a damn near perfect copy. Will take some photoshop work though
See post 81 in this FoU thread. https://www.flameofudun.net/forum/cross ... coas/page5

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:56 am
Nasnandos wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:18 pm I measured one today and it is 14 1/8" from the bottom of the base to the top of the post cap.
Thank you, sir!
It can also be cut shorter, if one desired. It requires a longer wood screw than the one included, but it's a simple mod. You just unscrew the cap, cut the post shorter, then screw the cap back on. I plan on doing this with one of the four that I bought.
KRDS

I was looking at the new Weta 1/4 crown of Theoden and was curious if UC ever had thoughts or plans for ever producing one? I wouldn't mind trying to make one and cast it in pewter with electroplating brass and nickle, but wouldn't bother if UC decided to tackle it with the current popularity of the Rohan pieces.
Theodencrown.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by N2darkness on Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:23 am I was looking at the new Weta 1/4 crown of Theoden and was curious if UC ever had thoughts or plans for ever producing one? I wouldn't mind trying to make one and cast it in pewter with electroplating brass and nickle, but wouldn't bother is UC decided to tackle it with the current popularity of the Rohan pieces.

Theodencrown.jpg
If you pursue this project, place me first in line to purchase one!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: Don't want to presume that you'd make more than just the one for yourself, but if you do, I would be interested as well.
Buckeye wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:00 pm If you pursue this project, place me first in line to purchase one!
If I do into make this, molds would have to be made and a small run would be produced. I'll start a separate thread and add you two as interested if the time comes!

Valkrist wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:04 pm lol... and as per usual, N2 mutters off into the corner, cursing himself for having opened his mouth. :laugh:
True! But maybe UC might make one, who knows? And then everyone who wants one can get one. I can only realistically make half a dozen or so, and that's with the molding and casting doing most of the work. I couldn't even imagine trying to hand beat each one out of plate brass and silver!

N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 pm True! But maybe UC might make one, who knows? And then everyone who wants one can get one. I can only realistically make half a dozen or so, and that's with the molding and casting doing most of the work. I couldn't even imagine trying to hand beat each one out of plate brass and silver!
UC does not have any plans to make crowns that I know of. Even if they ever did, I think they would start with the abandoned Aragorn crown before anything else.

If you do decided to make a few, I have really good prop photos from all views that you can use for reference. Of course, I would want to be on your list :)
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:53 am
N2darkness wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 pm True! But maybe UC might make one, who knows? And then everyone who wants one can get one. I can only realistically make half a dozen or so, and that's with the molding and casting doing most of the work. I couldn't even imagine trying to hand beat each one out of plate brass and silver!
UC does not have any plans to make crowns that I know of. Even if they ever did, I think they would start with the abandoned Aragorn crown before anything else.

If you do decided to make a few, I have really good prop photos from all views that you can use for reference. Of course, I would want to be on your list :)
What do you think of the Noble Elessar crown, Kit? Is there room for improvement if UC was interested in making them?

Well, that's good and bad news. Good that when I start making it UC won't be producing one right behind it. Bad that I now get to figure out every little nuance of this piece and how to replicate it!

I'll happily take any or all reference material you have! Hopefully there is something with a ruler on it to determine size. I did a quick search for Bernard Hill's height (5'9") and measured his head width of about 7" and was a starting point to possibly go by.

I'll definitely start a new thread and include you and the others interested!

N2darkness wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:16 am ....
Well, that's good and bad news. Good that when I start making it UC won't be producing one right behind it. Bad that I now get to figure out every little nuance of this piece and how to replicate it!

I'll happily take any or all reference material you have! Hopefully there is something with a ruler on it to determine size. I did a quick search for Bernard Hill's height (5'9") and measured his head width of about 7" and was a starting point to possibly go by.

Definitely START at 7" .
I'm 5' 5" and I wore a size 7-1/4" cover in the Navy (Navy and Marines call their hat a "cover").
And tho' some people may say it's because of my swelled head :D I think that 7" should be the minimum to look realistic.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Valkrist wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:15 am Ronin, if you go far enough in Kit's thread (sorry, don't recall the page #), you will see the awesome customization work he did on his NC Elessar Crown. If UC were to ever go back to their unreleased version, I'd hope he could convince them to incorporate those improvements.
I'll look for it. Thanks, Val.
Nasnandos wrote:
Ronin wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:41 am What do you think of the Noble Elessar crown, Kit? Is there room for improvement if UC was interested in making them?
The Noble crown is really nice. UC's crown - had it been made - would have been similar, but with more prop accurate details on the back sides of the feather crests, and more weathering. It would have had a much nicer display too.
Interesting. Well, who knows? With this surge of helms from UC and Noble's seeming abandonment of their LOTR prop replicas, maybe they'll decide to produce the crown in the near future.

Question for those more in-tune with item release history. I've been doing some research on trying to track down some of the limited edition United Cutlery items, and I've seen a few posts that say that not all of these were completed. Some were manufactured and released, but not the entire quantity of the edition, and then more were released again some time later. I know that the Gondorian Infantry, Isildur, and Elendiel helms are one such case.

Does anyone have the information or know where I can find out as to whether these runs have been completed or not? That way I won't be trying to track down something secondhand if it's going to be coming back eventually.

Also, am I missing anything from this list? And are there any chances serialized items (but not LE) would be coming back, or are those definitely over?

Number Name Edition Size
UC1296 Shards of Narsil LE of 5000
UC1380ASLB Anduril - Sword of Aragorn (LE) LE of 5000
UC1382 High Elven Warrior Helm LE of 5000
UC1383 Helm of King Elendil LE of 5000 CURRENTLY FOR SALE
UC1384 Helm of Gimli LE of 5000
UC1411 Gauntlet of Sauron LE of 3000
UC1412 Helm of Sauron, v1 LE of 3000
UC1414 Gondor Infantry Helm LE of 2000 CURRENTLY FOR SALE
UC1424 Sting - Museum Collection MC of 3000
UC1425 Glamdring - Museum Collection MC of 1000
UC1428 High Elven Warrior Shield LE of 5000
UC1430 Helm of Isildur LE of 2000 CURRENTLY FOR SALE
UC1454 Second Age Gondorian Shield, v1 LE of 2500
UC1457 War Helm of the Witchking LE of 3000
UC2614MC Sword of Samwise - Museum Collection MC of 600
UC2940 Second Age Gondorian Shield, v2 LE of 1500 CURRENTLY FOR SALE
UC2941 Helm of Sauron, v2 LE of 1500
UC3034 Mace of Sauron with One Ring (Limited 1500) LE 1500
UC3065 Gauntlet of Sauron, v2 LE 1000
UC3075 Rivendell Elf Helm LE 1500 CURRENTLY FOR SALE
UC3460 Helm of Eomer LE of 1500 CURRENTLY FOR SALE

N2darkness wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:16 am

I'll definitely start a new thread and include you and the others interested!
I'd also like to be included on this list/thread, please.

DracoAdamantus wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:36 pm Question for those more in-tune with item release history. I've been doing some research on trying to track down some of the limited edition United Cutlery items, and I've seen a few posts that say that not all of these were completed. Some were manufactured and released, but not the entire quantity of the edition, and then more were released again some time later. I know that the Gondorian Infantry, Isildur, and Elendiel helms are one such case.

Does anyone have the information or know where I can find out as to whether these runs have been completed or not? That way I won't be trying to track down something secondhand if it's going to be coming back eventually.

Also, am I missing anything from this list? And are there any chances serialized items (but not LE) would be coming back, or are those definitely over?
A collector emailed me earlier this year with a similar list, asking if I could confirm it. Here is his list with my comments in italics. It's already outdated, but may answer a few of your questions.

These have never been re-released - correct me if I am wrong
UC1296 Shards of Narsil = Limited 5000? (these were limited and sold out - Kit)
UC1380ASLB Anduril Limited Edition = Limited 5000 and sold out
UC1381 Legolas scabbards (The old tooling is broken. UC is looking at possibly retooling these- Kit)
UC1382 High Elven War helm = Limited 5000 and sold out (Not sold out. We are working on the reissue now to finish out the edition - Kit)
UC1366 Strider Ranger sword scabbard with knife (will be reissued in 2023 - Kit)
UC1371 Strider's Elven knife (will be reissued in 2023 - Kit)
UC1384 Gimli helmet = Limited 5000. Not sold out (correct - Kit)
UC1385 Saruman staff (I don’t remember if the original one was ever reissued, but I don't think so - Kit)
UC1397 Gilmi Battle Axe (I think the tooling is broken on this one- Kit)
UC1417WT Gandalf the white scabbard (this is being reissued - Kit)
UC1424 Sting Museum Collection = original limited edition of 3000 was never finished
UC1425 Glamdring Museum Collection = original limited edition of 1000 was completed
UC1428 High Elven War Shield = Limited 5000 (Not sold out - Kit)
UC1457 WitchKing helm = Limited 3000 (Not sold out. This will probably be reissued in 2023 to finish the edition - Kit)
UC2598 Isildur sword (We are working on the reissue now - Kit)
UC2940 Second Age War Shield of Gondor = Limited 1500 (Another run is being made now. I think there is still 500 left to make after that - Kit)
UC2941 Sauron's Helmet 2nd. Version = Limited 1500 and sold out

These have been re-released or are still in production
Sting, Glamdring, and Anduril seem to always be in production

UC1309 Uruk-Hai Scimitar = 2008. My box sleeve is different from the original 2002 trilogy box sleeves and dated 2008, after Budk bought UC. It also shows an ad for the Witch-king, Strider, Hadhafang, High Elven Sword and Legolas knives on the back, so those must have been re-released then too. (I don’t remember those other swords being reissued back then, but the UC1309 definitely was. A new version will be released in 2023 - Kit)
UC1266 WitchKing sword = 2008-9(?), 2022
UC1267 Narsil = 2022. There was one after BudK bought UC and before the Hobbit too, but I don't remember the year.
UC1278 Ringwraith sword = 2022, but my friend swears it was re-released before The Hobbit too.
UC1298 Hadhafang = 2014, 2017, 2020
UC1299 Striders Ranger sword = a few re-releases. It's on the back of my 2008 Uruk-Hai Scimitar box. I know there was one in 2020, and it's still in the 2022 UC catalog.
UC1370 Herugrim = 2014, 2021, and maybe once in between?
UC1372 Legolas Knives = 2012, but reissued several times after. From what I have read the handle color and material changed on each release.
UC1373 High Elven War sword = 2014, 2017, 2020
UC1400 Boromir sword = 2014, 2020
UC1412 Sauron Helm = re-released in 2014 or 2015. (the re-release was actually the second version UC made with the sculptured base, the UC2941 - Kit)
UC1411 Sauron gauntlet = re-released in 2014 or 2015 (this is the second version UC made, the UC3065. 3000 limited. Sold out - Kit)
UC1415 Gimli Walking axe = I know it was released once. Maybe 2014? (I think UC talked about a reissue around 2013-14, but I don’t remember if it was ever made. It’s not in the United catalogs from then - Kit)
UC1423 Eowyn sword = 2021
UC1454 wood/metal Gondor shield = Limited 2500. re-released in 2008, but I don't think it was after. (original edition sold out. We made another version in polyresin - Kit)
UC2595 WitchKing dagger, other than the Hobbit version, I know it was re-released at least once but I don't remember the year
UC2614 Sword of Sam Museum Weathertop Edition = Limited 600. Sold out
UC2628 Gilmi Bearded axe = 2009, 2020
UC3034 Sauron mace with One Ring = Limited 1500. re-released a few times, and a new version with the banner in the UC 2022 catalog (this has not sold out yet - Kit)
UC3065 Gauntlet of Sauron 2nd. Version = Limited 1000 (not sold out yet - Kit)
UC3460 Helm of Eomer = Limited 1500 (not sold out yet - Kit)

UC1383-UC1414 - UC1430 Steel Helmets = One of the steel helmets was re-released in 2008 or 2009. I think all of them were in 2014, and supposed to be coming back this year (correct - Kit)
UC1383 King Elendil's Helmet = Limited 5000. Not sold out
UC1414 Gondor Infantry Helmet = Limited 2000. (with this last run, these may be complete, or nearly complete - Kit)
UC1430 Isildur's Helmet = Limited 2000 (with this last run, these may be complete, or nearly complete - Kit)[/i]

UC1386 Gandalf the White staff = 2012, 2015, and once after that. I think they are all slightly different
UC3328 Gandalf Moria Staff = 2021? Or has it always been in production? (I think it has stayed in production since release - Kit)

UC1300 Sting Scabbard = reissued many times but I don’t know the years
UC1396 Anduril scabbard = 2014, 2022 - but I think it was re-released before 2014 too.
UC1417BL Blue Gandalf scabbard = 2021, but I know it was re-released before that too, maybe in 2014?
KRDS

TMcLim wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:40 am Thank you Kit that is very helpful to newer collectors, I'm sure this has been asked and answered at some point on here but I didn't know the MC Sting run was never finished. Is there any chance this could be revised?
I was under the impression that all the blades had been made, it was the run of display boxes and final packaging that was never completed. The higher numbers of that Sting edition that were orphaned without cases ended up for sale at the WB Shop in a plain white box. Just the sword, nothing else. I should know because I picked one up.
This Space for Rent

TMcLim wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:40 am Thank you Kit that is very helpful to newer collectors, I'm sure this has been asked and answered at some point on here but I didn't know the MC Sting run was never finished. Is there any chance this could be revised?
Not as it was. The current UC would never do a wood and glass case like that. Shipping nightmare, but that's not the only issue. I left the old UC before this happened, but as I understand it, Sting and Glamdring parts that were already completed were assembled and dumped on the market without the displays. No one really knows how many complete products were actually made of either one. I'm pretty sure more were made by the factory and dumped on the market during the UC downtime too, so it was just a mess all around. That factory in Spain is gone and I'm pretty sure the tooling was trashed anyway.

I was looking at recent regular Sting production, and it has gotten farther and farther away from being accurate over the years. The hilt was never correct in the first place. That sparked a conversation about fixing it, so there will likely be an updated regular Sting made with the proper hand guard shape and corrected blade engraving, like the MC. That's what the blue bladed Sting has morphed into. UC may do a short run special version of those with a display and banner like the MC Anduril, but that's all just talk for now. With the direction of the economy, it may get put on hold for a while in favor of less expensive products to develop, like polyresin replicas and war banners.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 am Are you saying the blue blade Sting is off the table then, in favour of a corrected, but regular steel (normal colour) version? :'(
No, the blue Sting will probably happen either way. UC has to re-tool the blade for the blue version, so if we are doing that, plus changing to the corrected etch, it makes more sense to go ahead and re-tool the guard to the correct shape at the same time.

That will also fix my OCD about that replica. It has always bugged me that the very first LOTR replica I supervised is probably the most inaccurate one in the whole line! The blue version just happened to make a way for that to possibly happen.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”