Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

I'm pretty sure that's what Derek meant when he said "sold out" and "oversold": simply that if you didn't get in on this first batch, you will be waiting a while longer. So, technically speaking, you've just confirmed that there can be more demand than supply at this point as things are only just starting out, right?

Still, I think it is smart for UC to make smaller batches at a time so as to not create a glut of unsold product on shelves. Eventually all the LOTR stuff sold out pretty much, but UC should be more cautious and not over stretch themselves too early.
This Space for Rent

Ha, ah. I would say the exact opposite. Get as much out there as possible when the film is still in theaters and fresh on peoples minds. Especially when you find out another company was given the exact same license. Obviously you have build and stock based on safe projections, but I am not a big believer in the "wait until you have a bunch of orders, then make some" way some companies run.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Ha, ah. I would say the exact opposite. Get as much out there as possible when the film is still in theaters and fresh on peoples minds. Especially when you find out another company was given the exact same license. Obviously you have build and stock based on safe projections, but I am not a big believer in the "wait until you have a bunch of orders, then make some" way some companies run.[/quote]

I take it you're referring to Noble Collection being this other company with the same license? or is there someone else going to be producing replica weapons now? :huh:
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Re: The Hobbit: Staff of Gandalf

[quote=""Gandalf The White""]Hey,this goes out to all the people who have bought the hobbit staff of gandalf. How is the quality in this piece? Does it suffer any damages like the first run of the GTW staff? Is it a piece worth getting? Thanks[/quote]

Amazing, no, and YES. There's your answer. :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I have officially decided to buy Weta's Gandalf staff, simply based on the fact that they will combine shipping with Radagast's staff saving me like $40, which is the difference between the UC and Weta version anyways. Unless, there is some new development that proves that UC's version is somehow more accurate, I shall be putting in my preorder next week.[/quote]

I think the only way one of them could be more accurate is in the paint job. I'm lucky that the shipping cost for Radagast's staff isnt too high, its being sent to the UK warehouse and then out to me.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait, I'm realling looking forward to getting it. I am planning on getting Gandalf's staff but I'd rather just go with UC's. I am going with Radagast's from Weta because at this point there's still no certainty that UC will make it.

The retailer I pre-ordered Orcrist with is e xp ecting to have the replicas in by mid January. Hopefully they'll be here soon, I love Orcrist :D

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Why UC over Weta?[/quote]

Because I can't afford both the Weta staves at the moment so I decided to just go for Radagast's. Im betting that by the time I get round to getting Gandalf's staff (having saved up the money) the Weta one will have sold out. Also, hopefully I will be encouraging UC to make more products by buying the staff, even though it won't be a for a few months yet :P

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Any interest in the Dwarven army helm form the Moria flashback? Or Thror's crown/helm, Thrain's war hammer?

Out of all the designs in the film, the stuff in the Erebor attack prologue and the Moria was flashback was the most interesting to me.
[/quote]

I saw that in the video you posted yesterday. I love the helmet. I like Thror's crown, I can't remember what Thrain's war hammer looks like in the film though. Is it the same as it is the Weta art book? if so then yes I'm interested :thumbs_up

[quote=""Lindir""]How so? I wasn't into collecting when these things were being developed so I don't know much of what was going on back then.[/quote]

UC began development and nearly completed a prototype of Aragorn's Crown but Noble Collection beat them to the punch and brought theirs to the market first. I think UC decided to cancel the project then so as to not have to compete with Noble. If there were other issues going on, only Kit can tell us. A shame really because I think UC's display was far superior to Noble's. Maybe Kit can repost those old photos and you can see what almost was.

Some retailers back then also got a bit ahead of themselves and advertised the Witch-king's Crown of Twilight but I don't know how real that was.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Nasnandos""]If you mean Aragorn's crown, yes and for good reason. We were being screwed.

Thror's crown looks more like armor though, and less like jewelry. He had a cool sword too.[/quote]

[quote=""Valkrist""]UC began development and nearly completed a prototype of Aragorn's Crown but Noble Collection beat them to the punch and brought theirs to the market first. I think UC decided to cancel the project then so as to not have to compete with Noble. If there were other issues going on, only Kit can tell us. A shame really because I think UC's display was far superior to Noble's. Maybe Kit can repost those old photos and you can see what almost was.

Some retailers back then also got a bit ahead of themselves and advertised the Witch-king's Crown of Twilight but I don't know how real that was.[/quote]

Very interesting, never heard these stories. Love to hear all this old gossip! :P

As for all those things you mentioned, Kit...yes, yes, and oh, yes! I like them all, especially the crown and helm. I've got the perfect spot for them, right next to Gimli's Helm. It seems that PJ and Weta really outdid themselves yet again in a prologue. just like LotR!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Your head is not large. People, including myself, have all noted that unless you are a child, Aragorn's Crown from Noble is pretty much unwearable. This same holds true for all their previous LOTR headgear, like the circlets and tiaras I posted pics of a while back. I don't know if they do this on purpose so people won't wear and damage them or what, but it's kind of annoying.
This Space for Rent

We sized our LOTR helms going by the "average" hat size, which is actually too big for me, but it supposedly fits most people. Odd that Noble's are too small.

Aragorn's crown did have to be reduced on set to fit Viggo's head though, so maybe that's why the replica was so small. We actually engineered our crown to be adjustable about two hat sizes. There was a really simple way to do it.
KRDS

[quote=""Valkrist""]On another topic, my Gandalf Staff arrived today but I was not home and missed UPS. Now I have to wait until Tuesday. :( [/quote]

That's why I have my UPS packages delivered to my workplace. It's waaaaay too frustrating to miss a delivery like that. When my Gandalf staff was delivered my colleagues wondered what the heck was in the box... it's *huge.*

About the Sting Scabbard....

I think this has been somewhat discussed earlier in this thread but I cannot find it.

I know it's leather and not suede like the LOTR scabbard (or faux leather and faux suede) and also comes with the strap, which wasn't included in my LOTR scabbard but I heard was included in later runs.

So addressing this question to those who have both the LOTR scabbard and the Hobbit scabbard what are the other differences?

What I'm wondering is, is the H. one significantly different or better looking (or better made) to warrant getting it?

I admit I do like the leather look. And $70 through Derek is a good price.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Other than the leather change and lack of engraving, the metal fitting shapes are actually slightly different on the Hobbit version than LOTR. The most noticeable difference is the longer curl on the tip cap, and the shape of the tip on the cap.

The props do vary somewhat in shape from prop to prop, especially the different scaled versions, but there is actually a logic to why the general shape would be different. The vine decorations on the LOTR version are raised in the metal, not recessed, so it was not simply an engraving change. Steel had to be added. It would have been easier for the smiths in Rivendell to simply remake the parts, which could e xp lain why the metal fitting shapes are not identical later in LOTR.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”