Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Ronin wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:30 am
XerachCruz wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:41 am
Ronin wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:11 pm Sting Scabbard (LOTR) and Ringwraith sword both in-stock now at Budk.
Thanks. Too bad BUDK doesn't ship outside of the US. :(

As soon as they're available at Castle Kon, that will be my next purchase. It will be a bit more expensive with shipping costs and taxes when arriving here than buying it from a European store, but it won't be in stores here for many, many months and I'd rather not wait. :P
No problem. Yeah, I didn't realize how expensive international shipping is now until recently when I sold a lightsaber to a fellow in the UK. Cost me a $100 :shock: for a hilt sized box.

I'm just hoping the Ringwraith sword doesn't have any issues. I wanted to buy the Witch-King sword but seeing the over-grinding done on the crossguard in this new run made me hesitate. It's frustrating. Is having a flawed replica better than no replica? Or do I hold out for another run after already waiting years to get one?
I just received my Ringwraith sword today. I can't speak to a comparison with older versions since I haven't actually seen one of the original releases up close. Hopefully someone with experience with the original can offer some insight.

Some observations about the one I received are that the surface etching looked to be fairly pitted and organic in appearance to begin with, but is ground significantly more smooth on the majority of the blade. This is mainly evidenced on the transition from the area beneath the central peak of the guard to the edge of the blade.

The blade also seems to be off axis a bit. The central peak of the guard doesn't actually line up with the central ridge of the blade. Since the blade is asymmetrical, I thought it may have been my eyes and went to look for other refernce material to get a comparison. I noticed that the image on the box cover is off axis as well (although that one is off in the opposite direction). It may just be a difficult sword to put together. Overall, it does look and feel good.

Cirdan23 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:55 pm I received one of these a few weeks ago, and mine has the same aggressive cleanup on the guard.
It's a shame, it seems to be normal in new editions. :( I will receive mine shortly, in no more than a month, I hope. When I receive it, I will tell you if the ones that UC send to Europe retailers are the same, although I suppose so.
Cirdan23 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:46 pm I just received my Ringwraith sword today. I can't speak to a comparison with older versions since I haven't actually seen one of the original releases up close. Hopefully someone with experience with the original can offer some insight.

Some observations about the one I received are that the surface etching looked to be fairly pitted and organic in appearance to begin with, but is ground significantly more smooth on the majority of the blade. This is mainly evidenced on the transition from the area beneath the central peak of the guard to the edge of the blade.

The blade also seems to be off axis a bit. The central peak of the guard doesn't actually line up with the central ridge of the blade. Since the blade is asymmetrical, I thought it may have been my eyes and went to look for other refernce material to get a comparison. I noticed that the image on the box cover is off axis as well (although that one is off in the opposite direction). It may just be a difficult sword to put together. Overall, it does look and feel good.
Thank you very much for the photographs. :)

Let's see if someone will post a comparison with the original edition. It's nice to be able to see the differences.

I'm waiting for Castle Kon to have it available, along with Sting scabbard LOTR, to place the order. I hope it doesn't take much longer, I'm impatient. :P
Last edited by XerachCruz on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

N2darkness wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:47 am I actually did! I found a blacksmith on Instagram who was making pans and able to take custom orders. It wasn't cheap as it came all the way from the UK. It is a heavy duty hand forged piece and you could definitely kill an orc or two with it. You can order one by messaging him on Facebook or Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/arthur_dibb_a ... lacksmith/
Congrats, it looks amazing next to Sam's MC sword. ;)

Cirdan23 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:46 pm
Ronin wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:30 am
XerachCruz wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:41 am

Thanks. Too bad BUDK doesn't ship outside of the US. :(

As soon as they're available at Castle Kon, that will be my next purchase. It will be a bit more expensive with shipping costs and taxes when arriving here than buying it from a European store, but it won't be in stores here for many, many months and I'd rather not wait. :P
No problem. Yeah, I didn't realize how expensive international shipping is now until recently when I sold a lightsaber to a fellow in the UK. Cost me a $100 :shock: for a hilt sized box.

I'm just hoping the Ringwraith sword doesn't have any issues. I wanted to buy the Witch-King sword but seeing the over-grinding done on the crossguard in this new run made me hesitate. It's frustrating. Is having a flawed replica better than no replica? Or do I hold out for another run after already waiting years to get one?
I just received my Ringwraith sword today. I can't speak to a comparison with older versions since I haven't actually seen one of the original releases up close. Hopefully someone with experience with the original can offer some insight.

Here are a few photos of mine from the original run for comparison. The new texture is very similar to the morgul dagger.
20220409_100832.jpg
20220409_100703.jpg
20220409_100656.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cirdan23 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:05 am I think I may try and disassemble the sword to see if I can get the fit a bit straighter on mine, and see about doing a wash to darken the etch.
That looks like the blade grinds were made off center. I don't think that has anything to do with the fit.

Both the Witch-king and Ringwraith swords were made by a Taiwan factory that United rarely uses. That just happened to be where the tooling was located, but they definitely do not make swords the same way they used to. I spent several hours recreating the corroded art that they used to etch in the blade originally, carefully matching the way my original etching art looked. I don't think they even used it in production.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:29 am
Cirdan23 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:05 am I think I may try and disassemble the sword to see if I can get the fit a bit straighter on mine, and see about doing a wash to darken the etch.
That looks like the blade grinds were made off center. I don't think that has anything to do with the fit.

Both the Witch-king and Ringwraith swords were made by a Taiwan factory that United rarely uses. That just happened to be where the tooling was located, but they definitely do not make swords the same way they used to. I spent several hours recreating the corroded art that they used to etch in the blade originally, carefully matching the way my original etching art looked. I don't think they even used it in production.
Thanks for the feedback. It's a shame that they disregarded the effort you put in to making a better product.

Probably best just to leave mine be then?

Ronin wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:28 pm <Sigh> What a shame. I was hoping this would have fared better than the Witch King sword.

What is the design of the outer box sleeve on these reissues? Same as before? I'm going to try to hunt older versions on ebay. Maybe they will have gone down in price a bit.
It looks like the original release version had a mostly green outer sleeve graphic, and the new one that I received uses brown instead.

Cirdan23 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:22 pm
Ronin wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:28 pm <Sigh> What a shame. I was hoping this would have fared better than the Witch King sword.

What is the design of the outer box sleeve on these reissues? Same as before? I'm going to try to hunt older versions on ebay. Maybe they will have gone down in price a bit.
It looks like the original release version had a mostly green outer sleeve graphic, and the new one that I received uses brown instead.
Good to know. Thank you, Cirdan :thumbs_up

I'm guessing the Witch King's sword box changed from green to brown as well.

Ronin wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:57 am
Cirdan23 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:22 pm

Good to know. Thank you, Cirdan :thumbs_up

I'm guessing the Witch King's sword box changed from green to brown as well.
I just checked, and oddly enough - the sword of the Witch King came in the green box.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:53 am I actually find it really strange that they are still using that brown sleeve artwork design from over ten years ago. After the green/red/blue cycle of the original releases, brown is what they changed to as kind of a unified standard, but that was subsequently dropped by the new UC in favour of their redesigned, current sleeve which is red, brown, and gold.
Hmm...I don't think that I've seen anything in the new packaging yet.

I've only begun adding to my collection again this year, and have been focusing on catching up on some of the pieces that I missed before. I started with collecting the original pieces when UC first started producing Lord of the Rings replicas, but the last piece I purchased prior to this year was back in 2009.

I could be very wrong here since I didn't buy any of the recent reissues of anything (since I have all the originals), but I should think they would all be in the new packaging. The Hobbit stuff at least most certainly is. I think as far back as Isildur's sword and the Bearded Axe, they had started using the current sleeve design, which was post-brown sleeve.

About the only reason I could see UC reusing the older-style brown sleeves is if they had a ton of extras lying around from the old production runs of a given sword. In that case, I certainly don't blame them for saving a few dollars and some trees along the way. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:16 pm I could be very wrong here since I didn't buy any of the recent reissues of anything (since I have all the originals), but I should think they would all be in the new packaging. The Hobbit stuff at least most certainly is. I think as far back as Isildur's sword and the Bearded Axe, they had started using the current sleeve design, which was post-brown sleeve.

About the only reason I could see UC reusing the older-style brown sleeves is if they had a ton of extras lying around from the old production runs of a given sword. In that case, I certainly don't blame them for saving a few dollars and some trees along the way. :huh:
Almost everything I've bought is a reissue because I started collecting less than two years ago. The Hobbit ones have all had the same type of packaging, with the new full color slipcase having a consistent design line, but with the LOTR re-releases, the packaging has been very varied:

Anduril and Sting LOTR have come on the old brown slipcase, like now the new release of Ringwraiths.

Gimli 's bearded axe and Sam came with the new full color slipcase with a similar style to those of the Hobbit.

Legolas still came with the old blue slipcase.

Hadhafang, High Elven, Eowin, Boromir and Strider Sword came in a normal brown packaging cardboard box with a blue sticker (in the same way Gandalf's staffs come.)

And Gùthwinë came as you know, in the new full color slipcase, which has a design as in between as the old and the new Hobbit stile slipcases.

Yes, I also suppose that they are taking advantage of old stored packaging, if not, I do not understand whether it is a variety of packaging designs.

N2darkness wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:47 am I actually did! I found a blacksmith on Instagram who was making pans and able to take custom orders. It wasn't cheap as it came all the way from the UK. It is a heavy duty hand forged piece and you could definitely kill an orc or two with it. You can order one by messaging him on Facebook or Instagram.

20220301_110837.jpg
20220301_110820.jpg
20220301_110809.jpg
20220301_110751.jpg
20220301_110737.jpg
Well done! Needless to say, that is the coolest, most badass pan I have ever seen!!
If you want it to be truly screen accurate, you need to fry up some "tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon." ;)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Valkrist wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:16 pm About the only reason I could see UC reusing the older-style brown sleeves is if they had a ton of extras lying around from the old production runs of a given sword. In that case, I certainly don't blame them for saving a few dollars and some trees along the way. :huh:
That's exactly it. They MOQ for a run of those sleeves was huge so they had to run several thousand at a time. SOP for reissues is to use what they have stock of first. When it runs out, then they switch to the new format, which is a color label on the corrugated remailer box, which is for most swords.

They are going to be changing the packaging art again, due to the way packing and shipping costs have gone up the past few years, and to cut down on the growing loss from packaging theft from outside homes. All sword boxes will all have to be remailable, meaning the dealer only has to slap a label on it to mail it out to a customer, instead of repacking it in another box. To prevent theft, that means there can be nothing on the outside giving away what is inside, so no color graphics at all.

I'm sure there will still be a color label or flyer on the foam mold or loose inside, but they days of those big color sleeves are coming to an end. It's not like people were displaying those anyway, but it's sad to see them go. I still have all of the original packaging for most of my collection.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:47 am ...

I actually did! I found a blacksmith on Instagram who was making pans and able to take custom orders. It wasn't cheap as it came all the way from the UK. It is a heavy duty hand forged piece and you could definitely kill an orc or two with it. You can order one by messaging him on Facebook or Instagram.

I somehow missed this post....
Excellent repro of Sam's frying pan.... and not a resin rivet to be found! :laugh:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Kit, forgive me for beating this to death but I'm curious to ask. With the Witch King sword as well as the ringwraith sword having some finishing issues, is it possible we see those corrected in a future production run? I guess what I'm asking is does UC management care enough to allow you to have the factory correct it for the future or are they not too concerned about such minor issues that only people like us here would notice? I'm sure they mostly care that the swords sell.

N2darkness wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:26 am FYI, Theodred's sword is now "in stock" at BudK. I already put in my order!

https://www.budk.com/Lord-of-the-Rings- ... -Lic-50485
Awesome! Congrats!

I read on FB that these are not "Limited Editions" (either a change, or a miscommunication initially). However, they do have a "20th Anniversary" etching...?
I wasn't going to get one... but... if this IS the UC Anniversary Weapon... I don't know anymore lol.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Jash wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:15 am
N2darkness wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:26 am FYI, Theodred's sword is now "in stock" at BudK. I already put in my order!

Awesome! Congrats!

I read on FB that these are not "Limited Editions" (either a change, or a miscommunication initially). However, they do have a "20th Anniversary" etching...?
I wasn't going to get one... but... if this IS the UC Anniversary Weapon... I don't know anymore lol.
No, but they are serialized though.

I picked up one yesterday as well. After trying to have a handful of different localish swordsmiths change out the leather for me on an extra Eowyn sword, and never getting a quality product, I am very happy to just buy one now 😂

Ronin wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:12 am Kit, forgive me for beating this to death but I'm curious to ask. With the Witch King sword as well as the ringwraith sword having some finishing issues, is it possible we see those corrected in a future production run? I guess what I'm asking is does UC management care enough to allow you to have the factory correct it for the future or are they not too concerned about such minor issues that only people like us here would notice? I'm sure they mostly care that the swords sell.
I have very little involvement with their reissues, unless there is something they specifically ask me to help with. I doubt they are even aware there are any finishing issues with those two reissues. I don't think they even had an original Ringwraith sword to compare production to. I'm pretty sure that's the first time the "new" United has ever made them.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Awesome! Congrats!

They were never going to be limited, and I think I mentioned here last year that there will be no more new LOTR limited editions from United.

The 20th anniversary mark for TTT was always going to be on there. There was supposed to be a special edition 20th anniversary Sting for FOTR last year too, but that one got delayed. I suppose they can still do it since it's in all three movies.

I looked at a couple of production Theoden swords today. Swords look good. I hate that there will be no more color art on the packaging anymore - its just a plain corrugated box - but I kind of like the new color "poster" packed under the foam mold packing. I got them to place the COA in there flat too.
KRDS

All great info Kit, thank you.

I wanted to ask - with all the news of new items, could you perhaps fill in some of the gaps/any latest news?

Specifically:
Rohan axe - a teaser photo of this was shown a while ago by Drew Hall on Facebook
Faramir sword - Rumoured ... any development?
MC Anduril - We'd all love any news on this!
Guthwine Scabbard - we know this is coming out soon.
Eomer Spear - we know this is coming out soon.
Theoden helm - we know this is coming out soon.

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:32 pm

Awesome! Congrats!

They were never going to be limited, and I think I mentioned here last year that there will be no more new LOTR limited editions from United.

The 20th anniversary mark for TTT was always going to be on there. There was supposed to be a special edition 20th anniversary Sting for FOTR last year too, but that one got delayed. I suppose they can still do it since it's in all three movies.

I looked at a couple of production Theoden swords today. Swords look good. I hate that there will be no more color art on the packaging anymore - its just a plain corrugated box - but I kind of like the new color "poster" packed under the foam mold packing. I got them to place the COA in there flat too.

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:43 am All great info Kit, thank you.

I wanted to ask - with all the news of new items, could you perhaps fill in some of the gaps/any latest news?

Specifically:
Rohan axe - a teaser photo of this was shown a while ago by Drew Hall on Facebook
Faramir sword - Rumoured ... any development?
MC Anduril - We'd all love any news on this!
Guthwine Scabbard - we know this is coming out soon.
Eomer Spear - we know this is coming out soon.
Theoden helm - we know this is coming out soon.
I think United is just waiting on production to arrive for the Eomer spear and helm. For Anduril, it seems to be moving slow. I have only seen some sample part photos from the factory.

The Rohan axe is still in the sample stage, but looking good so far. It's huge!

The Guthwine scabbard is moving along. A complete sample from tooling is on its way to me now. It looked good from the photos I saw.

The Faramir sword is not a rumor. I confirmed it here. It's in the early stages of development, so I would not expect that to be on the market until early next year.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 am
The Rohan axe is still in the sample stage, but looking good so far. It's huge!

The Guthwine scabbard is moving along. A complete sample from tooling is on it's way to me now. It looked good from the photos I saw.

The Faramir sword is not a rumor. I confirmed it here. It's in the early stages of development, so I would not expect that to be on the market until early next year.
Really looking forward to seeing the Rohan axe!

As for Faramir's sword, are they thinking about the eventual scabbard for it as well?

As it is almost identical to the Stider scabbard, with the locket being slightly different shape, not sure if the blade length and width as the same either.

It would seem rather easy to produce since the original tooling was already done, although many years ago.

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 am The Faramir sword is not a rumor. I confirmed it here. It's in the early stages of development, so I would not expect that to be on the market until early next year.
I'm still so happy about Guthwine being made... it was such a dream for years. Even today as I hold it in my hand I feel the same joy as when Kit confirmed (years ago) that UC will make Guthwine...

Back then, when Guthwine was a dream, I also dreamt of Faramir's and Denethor's swords... it all seemed impossible. And now, Guthwine is here, Faramir's sword is comming and who knows, maybe even Denethor's sword will follow.

All other new releases are great and I love them but my heart beats the most for Faramir's sword :inlove:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:19 am
Ronin wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:12 am Kit, forgive me for beating this to death but I'm curious to ask. With the Witch King sword as well as the ringwraith sword having some finishing issues, is it possible we see those corrected in a future production run? I guess what I'm asking is does UC management care enough to allow you to have the factory correct it for the future or are they not too concerned about such minor issues that only people like us here would notice? I'm sure they mostly care that the swords sell.
I have very little involvement with their reissues, unless there is something they specifically ask me to help with. I doubt they are even aware there are any finishing issues with those two reissues. I don't think they even had an original Ring-wraith sword to compare production to. I'm pretty sure that's the first time the "new" United has ever made them.
Thanks as always for the reply, Kit. Hopefully the issues get reported to them via customer service or Facebook or what have you. We'll see.

Also, nice to hear about the newer items coming along :thumbs_up

Ronin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:50 pm Whoa. Second Age Gondorian Shield is up for reserve on Budk. Didn't think we'd see that one again.

https://www.budk.com/The-Lord-of-the-Ri ... ield-26199

Do I get my hopes up that this will be a good reissue? It'll be polyresin. It says "limited". So, it'll be a continuation of previous runs? I know there's some questionable math concerning UC and previous limited editions.
It's not a reissue. The UC2940 was limited to 1500 and I think they only made 800 or 900 of the first run. I'm not sure how many they are making for this run, but it's probably 300.

I got two from the first run, way back in 2014. I thought they looked like garbage, so I asked the factory to send me a new sample for finish and paint approval. Hopefully they will do a better job matching it this time around.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:13 pm
Ronin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:50 pm Whoa. Second Age Gondorian Shield is up for reserve on Budk. Didn't think we'd see that one again.

https://www.budk.com/The-Lord-of-the-Ri ... ield-26199

Do I get my hopes up that this will be a good reissue? It'll be polyresin. It says "limited". So, it'll be a continuation of previous runs? I know there's some questionable math concerning UC and previous limited editions.
It's not a reissue. The UC2940 was limited to 1500 and I think they only made 800 or 900 of the first run. I'm not sure how many they are making for this run, but it's probably 300.

I got two from the first run, way back in 2014. I thought they looked like garbage, so I asked the factory to send me a new sample for finish and paint approval. Hopefully they will do a better job matching it this time around.
Okay gotcha. So, a continuation then. Yeah, I remember something about the previous run not being so good.

I wasn't around for any of these replicas when they were first released but was this shield originally made with wood? I thought I remember reading that here. The original props were resin I'm guessing?

Ronin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:24 pm I wasn't around for any of these replicas when they were first released but was this shield originally made with wood? I thought I remember reading that here. The original props were resin I'm guessing?
The old United company made a wood and metal version, the UC1454. It was smaller, slightly incorrectly shaped, and just had the tree silk screened on it. The poly version replicated the raised metal tree and stars as they were on the prop, and was the same shape and size as the prop.

I think my Weta prop is all cast Urethane. The base shield may actually be real wood. Hard to tell. I never cut into it to find out.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:13 pm It's not a reissue. The UC2940 was limited to 1500 and I think they only made 800 or 900 of the first run. I'm not sure how many they are making for this run, but it's probably 300.

Did you happen to request a sample of the re-release of Isildur's sword as well? Supposed to be released in July and with the improvements to the handle I was curious to see one.

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:53 am
N2darkness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:27 am Did you happen to request a sample of the re-release of Isildur's sword as well? Supposed to be released in July and with the improvements to the handle I was curious to see one.
I had them make improvements to that one so they are supposed to automatically send me a sample to review. All I have seen are some part photos so far.
Hey Kit, does the isildur sword reissue stil have the 3 stars on the blade or have they been removed? I've seen in the UC catalogue that they were gone but BUDK still show the old isildur photos

Great news for Isildur's sword! Thank you for changing the blade finish... belive it or not but that always bothered me more than the rubber grip :)
And speaking of blade finish, why does Bard's sword have that similarly strange (different than other swords) blade finish? It also has that gray colored fullers..why is that? It almost looks like that cheap knockoff blades..
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

EagleFriend wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:24 am Great news for Isildur's sword! Thank you for changing the blade finish... belive it or not but that always bothered me more than the rubber grip :)
And speaking of blade finish, why does Bard's sword have that similarly strange (different than other swords) blade finish? It also has that gray colored fullers..why is that? It almost looks like that cheap knockoff blades..
That polish on the Isildur sword was something United's factory changed on their own. That was in the early days of the current owners of the company, so they were still learning. I think that was their first new LOTR sword. The factory had just figured out how to do a high polish on a fuller while keeping the satin finish on the hollow grinds, something I wanted for one of my special edition swords. They just decided to do it on the Isildur sword too because they thought it looked good, even though it was not appropriate. I did not even know about it until it was done, but that kind of thing does not happen much any more.

United has two sword factories in Taiwan, and contracts with a few in China, but most are still made in Taiwan. Those guys have been making swords since the late 1990s, starting with my old fantasy sword line, so they know exactly what I want and do it fairly consistently. The finish on the China made blades like the Bard sword do not exactly match the Taiwan blades. Different equipment and processes. I have two from the original production and the finish matches the Taiwan-made LOTR swords though. When did you get yours?

The grooves on the Bard prop blade were deep etched into the steel and colored darker than the rest of the blade, but only surface etched on the replica. Deep etching an area that large on both sides of the blade had gotten insanely expensive, so that was a compromise to keep the cost reasonable. It was either that, or not make it, and I wanted it made.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:51 am That polish on the Isildur sword was something United's factory changed on their own. That was in the early days of the current owners of the company, so they were still learning. I think that was their first new LOTR sword. The factory had just figured out how to do a high polish on a fuller while keeping the satin finish on the hollow grinds, something I wanted for one of my special edition swords. They just decided to do it on the Isildur sword too because they thought it looked good, even though it was not appropriate. I did not even know about it until it was done, but that kind of thing does not happen much any more.

United has a two sword factories in Taiwan, and contracts with a few in China, but most are still made in Taiwan. Those guys have been making swords since the late 1990s, starting with my old fantasy sword line, so they know exactly what I want and do it fairly consistently. The finish on the China made blades like the Bard sword do not exactly match the Taiwan blades. Different equipment and processes. I have two from the original production and the finish matches the Taiwan-made LOTR swords though. When did you get yours?

The grooves on the Bard prop blade were deep etched into the steel and colored darker than the rest of the blade, but only surface etched on the replica. Deep etching an area that large on both sides of the blade had gotten insanely expensive, so that was a compromise to keep the cost reasonable. It was either that, or not make it, and I wanted it made.
Thank you for elaborating!
Yes, I remember that some replicas were made in Taiwan and some in China and that there were "problems" in consistency due to different production methods, materials used, QC and the level of skill of the workers handling the production but I get it now.
It will be interesting to see two Isildur's swords side by side. I will definitely buy the new version and keep the old one I have since it seams that they will be significantly different.

Now that you explained that the deep etching is too expensive and that the fullers had to be made as they were I'm just gratefull for your decision to go ahead with the production of Bard's sword replica because it would be such a shame not to have it in collection.
I bought it last year in May but I don't know if it is original or some other, later production.
The blade resembles other LOTR swords but it is a bit more polished and it gives off somewhat bluish reflection as opposed to gray silvery one that LOTR (Taiwan-made) swords give off.

It's not a big deal but when you combine slightly but noticeably different blade finish/color/reflection with different fullers and unique patina on crossguard and pommel you get a sword that stands out. Don't get me wrong, I love it! I was just curious to know way :)
The whole process of making swords or sword replicas is so interesting to me and I guess to many here if not all :)

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:32 am There are no stars on the blade. I also had them change that mirror polished blade to the same finish as the other LOTR swords, adjust the fuller width, change the guard and pommel color, and a few other things to make it a more accurate replica.

I'm also having them test a few other materials for the grip. I hate the old rubber grip on the original.
I too am interested with what they end up doing with the grip on the new swords. On the BudK website it says (and I'm quoting directly): "The cast metal handle features leather wrapped grip..." which is in direct contrast to what Drew shared in the Facebook group when it was announced, and seemed to contrast with all the other news we've heard about it. But they are taking pre-orders with that information up on their website.

Narsoron wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:20 pm I too am interested with what they end up doing with the grip on the new swords. On the BudK website it says (and I'm quoting directly): "The cast metal handle features leather wrapped grip..." which is in direct contrast to what Drew shared in the Facebook group when it was announced, and seemed to contrast with all the other news we've heard about it. But they are taking pre-orders with that information up on their website.
That sounds like Budk jut grabbed a description from one of the other LOTR swords with a leather wrapped grip.

Essentially it's the same sword and display as before, but with a (hopefully) more accurate finish on each part, and a few other small tweaks. The grip is the same injection mold tooling as the original. What is being changed is the injection material, surface finish, color, and the paint wash. It remains to be seen how much of an improvement that will be.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Hi KIt the Rohan ax is looking pretty good! I am curious, however, why is UC making more obscure swords and weapons like that ax when there are still more high profile replicas that haven't been made, like the third Ringwraith sword, Faramirs sword, or the Witchkings morning star. Don't get me wrong I love that UC is making more of the obscure stuff, I'd love to see the Rohan Royal Guard sword be made, and the Gondorian infantry sword and spear get made.

TMcLim wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:59 am Hi KIt the Rohan ax is looking pretty good! I am curious, however, why is UC making more obscure swords and weapons like that ax when there are still more high profile replicas that haven't been made, like the third Ringwraith sword, Faramirs sword, or the Witchkings morning star. Don't get me wrong I love that UC is making more of the obscure stuff, I'd love to see the Rohan Royal Guard sword be made, and the Gondorian infantry sword and spear get made.
Faramir's sword is being made. I'm sure UC will be looking at the response to the recent Ringwraith and Witch-king sword reissues to determine if the interest for the third Ringwraith sword is justified. It has always been low for collector requests compared to other unreleased LOTR weapons, but it may get made one day.

We have actually talked about doing a polyresin Witch-king flail replica a few times, and I'm going to suggest they tease that one on social media to gauge interest if/when they get around to making another run of Witch-king helms. It's not possible in steel obviously, but there really has been very little interest in it from collectors that I have heard.

As far as the Rohan axe, that was not really intended to be added to the line. It started over a year ago simply as a test item for a factory UC is working with, to see how close they could get. The cost to tool it up was low so there was not a lot of risk or development time, but it came out looking pretty good. Since the collectors interest for the Rohan replicas has grown so much in the past few years, they decided to go ahead and add it to the line.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”