Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

[quote=""Valkrist""]Kit, you had mentioned previously that you still had that Elessar Crown display stand and pillow kicking around somewhere. Any chance of selling those? It's a much nicer display than the Noble one.[/quote]

You could always go the custom route Val. I'm sure someone out there will be willing to create a display stand like that for you
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Lindir""]You could always go the custom route Val. I'm sure someone out there will be willing to create a display stand like that for you[/quote]

I know a couple of handy fellows here on the forums that could whip up that display stand in no time. However, I don't know of anyone here that could embroider an awesome pillow like that. Kit had access to resources and craftsmen that us mere mortals can only dream of. :P
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I know a couple of handy fellows here on the forums that could whip up that display stand in no time. However, I don't know of anyone here that could embroider an awesome pillow like that. Kit had access to resources and craftsmen that us mere mortals can only dream of. :P [/quote]

You could try and reach out to somebody online to see if they do custom embroidery, Val. Hunt around for a pillow that you like and just ship that off to them and let them do their work. Not sure how much it would cost though.

[quote=""Valkrist""]I know a couple of handy fellows here on the forums that could whip up that display stand in no time. However, I don't know of anyone here that could embroider an awesome pillow like that. Kit had access to resources and craftsmen that us mere mortals can only dream of. :P [/quote]
It's my understanding that embroidery companies that have the latest equipment can take a basic sketch, scan it, and from there call out size as well as other things. Once this is finalized they just need to put the fabric you choose into the loom and the machine stitches it out.

That's all you need to make the pillow possible. Know a seamstress?

I don't know if you have Jo-Ann fabrics up there in Canada, but any big chain fabric stores will have these machines. And some do embroidery work because it's how they demonstrate the machine.
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Just to show what Kit was talking about when he mentioned some of the new weapons had already been shown with toys and in books, here's Tauriels bow and knives from the action figure. I own it myself, but I dont have a camera to take photos of it so these photos are from another website:

Not the best of detail in her weapons, but it gives you a general idea of what they'll look like. Her daggers look as though they are bronze, I wonder how UC will handle that. Perhaps an alloy blade?

I was looking through the new, "Chronicles: Art & Design" book today (by Hennah, Taylor & Falconer) and was absolutely blown away by the Rivendell Guards! They incorporate the High Elven helms into a design reminiscent of the Galadhrim elves at Helm's Deep. The bow and quiver are stunning! Here's a pic I found on a blog:
[ATTACH]2627[/ATTACH]
I hope that UC makes these things and that Sideshow Collectibles gives us a great statue of this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[quote=""MorgulMike""]
I hope that UC makes these things and that Sideshow Collectibles gives us a great statue of this!
[/quote]

Considering you can barely see the bows, and no quivers in the film, not likely. The props of these were beautiful though, especially the quiver. The spears they carried were essentially the Gil Galad spear from the prologue of FOTR. Maybe the Elven guards will get some more screen time in the extended edition BR so these can be seen more clearly.

I would like to see a statue of one of these Rivendell guards on a horse from Weta/Sideshow.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Considering you can barely see the bows, and no quivers in the film, not likely. The props of these were beautiful though, especially the quiver. The spears they carried were essentially the Gil Galad spear from the prologue of FOTR. Maybe the Elven guards will get some more screen time in the extended edition BR so these can be seen more clearly.

I would like to see a statue of one of these Rivendell guards on a horse from Weta/Sideshow.[/quote]

I'd love for a statue, or really any collectible related to these guys. I was like foaming at the mouth when Elrond and his guards starting riding into Rivendell. :crazy:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Nasnandos""]The spears they carried were essentially the Gil Galad spear from the prologue of FOTR. Maybe the Elven guards will get some more screen time in the extended edition BR so these can be seen more clearly.[/quote]

Though the shape is similar, I would have to say that the bladed head is a lot shorter and less broad than Gil-galad's. Pictures of Mark Ferguson holding the thing make it look enormous and he's not a small guy. However, you have the Aeglos prop so you would know its dimensions best, but it still looks much larger than what that Elven soldier is holding. It definitely looks a similar, yet scaled-down version, no?
This Space for Rent

Are you referring to the concept art linked above or the actual props seen in the film? I'm talking about the props in the film.

They blades are almost identical in length to the GG spear. Both pole arms are around 9 or 9 1/2' overall, as you can see when the soldiers ride into Rivendell in the film. They have banners attached to each pole arm shaft, just below the blades. The blade shape on the TH version is not quite as curved as the GG version, and there is no writing on the blade, but they are very similar in shape. There is something marked on the blade of the TH version that I am baffled by, but...you can't see it in the film so I am not allowed to say. Remind me in 2 years, and I'll tell you. Strange.

The spear shown in the concept art looks very similar to the ones the two statues are holding at the end of the bridge the Dwarves cross into Rivendell.
KRDS

Yes, I was referring to the posted image from the book, not the screencaps. I didn't refer to it as concept art because it looks like an actual photo, but it is obviously not one of the mounted soldiers we see in the film. Maybe the difference is that the one the art book shows and the statues are holding are footman's spears, and Aeglos and the ones seen held by the riders in TH are horseman's spears?

Well, good to know they are the same size as GG's spear, but you don't sound very hopeful any of this elven stuff will get made so I'll try not to hold out hope for it.

Thanks for peaking my curiosity with the mysterious marking then saying I have to wait two years to find out what it is!!! :P
Last edited by Valkrist on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Yeah, I noticed that on the blade in the prop pix as I was posting, and thought to myself, why is THAT mark there? You may not have to wait 2 years. When the BR comes out, freeze frame it as the Elves circle the dwarves. Pretty sure the blade is on screen up close in a few of those shots. You may be able to see it.

On the facing page in the Weta book is another illustration of one of the soldiers on horseback, and you can see he is holding the Gil Galad style pole arm with the banner attached, although most of the blade is not shown.
KRDS

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I'd love for a statue, or really any collectible related to these guys. I was like foaming at the mouth when Elrond and his guards starting riding into Rivendell. :crazy: [/quote]

You were only foaming at the mouth?
I was transported to another plane of existence!
Beautiful, beautiful weaponry.

That recurve is to die for. I like it better than the Galadrim Bow, or L's Loth bow.
Kit, how long are the Rivendell bows?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Nasnandos""]That's actually one of my photos of the prototype, but I did not know anything had been approved for release yet. I'll have to see if I am allowed to show anything.[/quote]

Its shown up on CB swords but nowhere else has it up yet. They say they e xp ect to have them in by May. Here's the link for anyone interested:
http://www.cbswords.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id/486

Could this be another leak perhaps? Your comment about not knowing if anything had been approved yet made me think so.

I wonder if Kili's sword will be released around the same time
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I'm not in the UC marketing release loop so, but I e xp ected them to release pix early this month since the sword was just waiting on WB to review.

I finished the Kili sword prototype last week, so I e xp ect photos of that will be coming in the next few weeks. I don't think those will ship until a month or more after the Fili sword though.[/quote]

Ah I see Kit. Thanks for the update :)

I don't know if I should leave Fili and Kili's swords for now and save my money for when the Desolation of Smaug comes out. It'll be interesting to see what UC puts out in time for the release. I'm hoping something elven will go out, like Tauriel's knives :P

Well, weapons for three out of thirteen dwarves so far ain't bad. If their weapons get more e xp osure in the next two movies, I'm sure UC might be willing to make more.

I'm just wondering if they will take the plunge and make their own version of Balin's Mace. I love that thing but am staying away from Weta's plastic version. Obviously Weta doesn't release sales figures for their products so it's hard to tell how well it is doing, but I'm sure not being first to market with it is severely crippling UC's willingness to put out one of their own. :(
This Space for Rent

I've just decided to start collecting Hobbit/LOTR sword replicas and want to begin with the 3 from the hobbit. Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting. I also have on Pre-order Radagast and Gandalf staff through Weta.
I live in Australia so I was hoping some other Aussies would be able to help me with concerns with customs and any taxes/duties you have to pay on imports?
Has anyone purchased anything through Bladecenter.com? that's where I plan on getting my items.

Hi Nigel
I'm in Perth Western Australia. I have bought most of my items from the US and had them shipped in with absolutely no customs issues. Most items I have bought through eBay but I have recently bought the Hobbit Collectibles through Smithblades. Derek there has been incredibly helpful. I haven't tried Bladecenter yet.

Val, there are a few retailers here but all of the ones that I have tried have ridiculous markups on them. I have always found it cheaper to have them shipped in myself.

Cheers

Thanks for the helpful replies!
I am definitely looking forward to displaying them with pride soon enough. :)
Just a shame that I didn't start sooner. There was some past LOTR stuff from UC that was definitely worthwhile but no longer available. Legolas Bow comes to mind or Boromir's sword.
Glad to hear Jaymail that there's no problem with customs or anything. And I agree with retailers here that they charge a fortune. Here in Queensland we have a store that sells mostly knock-off replicas but also stock UC with nothing less than $400.

Just looking at the Smithblades site, did you send an email? The site seems to be down.

I had some e xp erience shipping items to Australia for some friends of mine. The main issue is that almost all of the items are too large to ship there with the postal service, so they have to go FedEx or UPS which is e xp ensive. Anything shipped with the postal service has to be less than 36 inches.

From what I remember, shipping for an Anduril was about $135US. Glamdring was about $125US. I checked on the Gandalf the Grey Staff and it was outrageous due to its size. Something like $200US just for shipping.

Yes, I admit the shipping for the Gandalf the Grey Staff was very high but unfortunately that is what we have to put up with. It is exactly the same to ship it from New Zealand (Weta) and they are our neighbours! Its cheaper as a US citizen to buy it as it ships from the US warehouse. I have had things come via USPS without much problem - the rules seem to be very generalised and accept things very slightly over 'size'.

I have only bought two items from retailers here in Australia - Hadhafang and Glamdring. They were the first two items and I paid around $475 for each of them. Ridiculous in hindsight! But that was my first introduction...

Nigel, as Fin said, send Derek an email and he will help you out to the best of his ability. He has had many dealings with collectors in Australia before and knows the ropes.

Cheers

[quote=""NigelJH""]There was some past LOTR stuff from UC that was definitely worthwhile but no longer available. Legolas Bow comes to mind or Boromir's sword.

Just looking at the Smithblades site, did you send an email? The site seems to be down.[/quote]

Just a note: neither of the official Legolas bows were made by UC. The Lorien bow was from the Hollywood Collectibles Group, and the Mirkwood bow was from an Italian company who's name escapes me at the moment.

To contact Derek Smith, use his email or send him a PM through the forums, as others here have suggested. His site has been non-functional for some time but his business is up and running, and I have nothing but good things to say about him. :)
This Space for Rent

Again guys, can't thank you enough for the help and support! I will be making my purchasing within the next month. Either through bladecenter or Derek Smith at SmtihBlades, whichever has the best price. :)

Anyone else hoping for the weapon that Oin carries? Looks like some over-sized club or stick? Also Bifur's spear looks interesting. Also I'll be jumping all over Fili's sword when it's available.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Wow, that was une xp ected. I like it, very much. Hope it's not LE though, because it's probably not happening right now for me financially. Later in the year maybe I'd take the plunge.[/quote]

It's not.

[quote=""Valkrist""]That looks very cool! I love the handle. :thumbs_up
I wonder how many people will be willing to buy two of those just to have the complete set... hint, hint. ;) I'm sure UC would love that.
[/quote]

I'm sure they would. We discussed a separate product that packed them as a set, and I designed a polyresin display decorated with Dwarven engraving that would hold both, crossed. In the end the combined cost, not to mention the shipping weight, killed it. Each sword weighs nearly 5lbs, no joke.

Also, FYI, I won't be able to post my Fili and Kili sword photos until about 10 days from now, when these are officially approved for release.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I'm sure they would. We discussed a separate product that packed them as a set, and I designed a polyresin display decorated with Dwarven engraving that would hold both, crossed. In the end the combined cost, not to mention the shipping weight, killed it. Each sword weighs nearly 5lbs, no joke.[/quote]

That's a pity, though I 100% back UC on their decision. Still, it would have been nice to have an alternate display for people that buy two, but again, not feasible for UC to produce for just a few select collectors. :|
This Space for Rent

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”