Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

A store over here in the UK, the main one I buy from, has Orcrist up on their website for pre-order. I'm seriously considering pre-ordering it now as I have an awful feeling they are gonna sell out real quick. Also they won't charge me until the sword is in stock and ready to be sent out to me which is a plus.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Khal1993""]yeah EG, I made my pre-order with battleorders.co.uk today!

I spoke to Andy (the owner) on the phone and he has said it's best to pre-order online so you get at the top of the list,

I would do it ASAP EG lol

x[/quote]

Thanks for the info Khal :thumbs_up did he say anything about when they were e xp ecting them in? I know the original leaked date was February but it may have changed

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Speaking of fan response...Derek, do we have some Gandalf Staves coming our wayses?[/quote]

Fin, I'm guessing by now you've read today's newsletter from Derek.

Sadly, all of the promised early UC stuff for Oct. 1 has been pushed back to Dec. 15 now. The only exception seems to be Glamdring, which is on track for Nov. 15. Orcrist's date for next year has not been changed. So, at least 12 or 13 weeks before we see the Grey Staff. :(

Derek, if you are reading this, here is my answer to your question: hold onto the money, no refund needed at this time. Thank you. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Descriptions are up on the sites that are already taking preorders, like budk.com, cbswords. I think UC is still waiting on approval of the specs from the film company to release to dealers.

Glamdring is the same as LOTR, just a different display. Sting does not have the engraved runes, since that had not happened yet, and the shape is more accurate than the LOTR replica, as you can see in the photo.
KRDS

Kit, when you say the shape of Sting is more accurate to the movie, do you mean the curvature of the blade edges or the vine etching on the blade?

I know you mentioned some time ago that the original Sting's etching is innacurate because someone had remarked how the one on this new version would not match once the runes are added. However, I'm wondering if the differences go beyond that to anything about the hilt, crosspiece, or the blade itself?
This Space for Rent

I think I already went over the differences in that previous post you mentioned, but the cross guard is accurate in shape to the hero props, like the MC version, where the original UC replica is not. Same with the grip and pommel shape, although those were pretty close the first time around. We completely redrew the vine pattern, but those will vary from piece to piece just like the props, because they are applied by hand. The blade is identical to the original UC version shape. The scabbard fitting are a slightly different shape from the original UC Sting scabbard, because they more accurately match the prop.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I think I went over the scabbard in another thread a while back too. It fits fits all three UC Sting swords, as does the original scabbard.[/quote]

With all the wealth of news from The Hobbit, UC, and Weta in the last couple of months, I'm starting to forget a lot of stuff, obviously. :|

Thanks for your answer and your patience, Kit.
This Space for Rent

Thanks Kit. It looks fantastic! Is it a single piece?

Having pre-ordered the Staff, Orcrist and Sting & Scabbard I'm super excited to get my hands on them!

I cannot wait to see what else will be in Collection. Fingers crossed the Orcrist Scabbard gets the go ahead! It would be great to see Thranduil's sword made, though its not what I e xp ected, always eager for more elven pieces!

Yes, it is one piece, molded directly from the prop. It makes the shipping size over 80" long, but there was really no other way to do that one.

After the prototype was finished we could not tell the prop from the UC version. We managed to get the five colors and paint patterns to exactly match. It has a nicer display than the LOTR staffs too. More like something Elven.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

I've been intrigued by a line from a recent post on theonering.net where they are showcasing the new United Cutlery replicas. In the first post, about Sting, there is ths line:

"Over the next several days we will introduce the many items that UC has up on their website now, as well as items that will be coming out in the future for collectors to add to their collections."

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10 ... -scabbard/

Will they be announcing the next wave of items in the collection? We'll just have to wait and see I guess...

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Who knows, they might make a plaque so awesome that everyone will be scrambling just to get a hold of it!?! Who knows, either way, I think I'll wait. More swords on the market, more saturation and I have a better chance of even scoring an old one for cheaper. Unless, demand increases faster, but I doubt that will happen as much.

Currently working on the translation from Dwarvish to English. I can't seem to find it, going to LotR Plaza for help

[/quote]

it says GRASPER and KEEPER

Interesting.

For a second it makes you think: oooh, that is cool and so much better! Why not pay for the added bling and get that version instead?

Then you step back and think: unless I am going to use that staff to find my way around in the dark or use it on a stage play, how much use am I really going to get of that once the novelty wears off?

In reality, I just want it to look good on the wall and it's not going to sit there while lit. It's just one more thing to break down over time. :|
This Space for Rent

Re: The Hobbit

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Got mine a wile ago. Really nice, well done book. Tons of Weapon designs, and lots of insight into the design direction, such as Pete wanting more cinematic and stylized wargs this time around rather than something realistic or wolf-like.

There is a bit of info about Orcrist from Paul Tobin, the designer. His idea for the grip is that perhaps it was a dragon's tooth brought back from a battle, or some other creature. He does specify anything more, but I have a bit more insight into how the grip came to be from WB. Since nothing was included in the film, I suppose there is no reason I can't discuss it, but people hit on it here in some previous thread. I'll just point out that Orcrist has been around for thousands of years, likely passing from owner to owner, probably rehandled many times. The trolls in possession of Orcrist at the time of the quest for Erebor likely came down from the north lands, where dwarves had a long history of battling dragons, so you can do the math.[/quote]

Yep I remember this discussion Kit. I'm really looking forward to getting the art book and the replica of Orcrist :thumbs_up

Are you allowed to tell us what the runes on the scabbard for Orcrist say or does your contract still stop you from sharing that stuff with us? I'm still hoping that UC will be able to get a replica made

[quote=""Nasnandos""]The translation is on the certificate with Orcrist, and as I understand it some of those are shipping next week, so I'll let an owner reveal that.[/quote]

The dealer who I pre-ordered from still has January written on their website. When I was on the phone to them, they said they were hoping to get them in for Christmas but I think it was something to do with UC's run and they ended up being held back a bit longer and that they wouldn't arrive at the dealer until January.

Whoever is lucky enough to get theirs sooner, please post photos for us all to see :thumbs_up

What was the last update you received on Gandalf's staff Val?

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]What was the last update you received on Gandalf's staff Val?[/quote]

Ironically enough, shortly after my post here, I received a newsletter update from Derek Smith. He listed the Gandalf Staff as Dec. 31 and warned that due to high popularity it is sold out, as in UC oversold the product. I had mine preordered long ago, so I should get one. For everyone's else's sake here, I hope they preordered one also. I'm sure UC will make more, but it may be a while before a second batch comes out.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Ironically enough, shortly after my post here, I received a newsletter update from Derek Smith. He listed the Gandalf Staff as Dec. 31 and warned that due to high popularity it is sold out, as in UC oversold the product. I had mine preordered long ago, so I should get one. For everyone's else's sake here, I hope they preordered one also. I'm sure UC will make more, but it may be a while before a second batch comes out.[/quote]

Uh oh, hopefully the same thing won't have happened with Orcrist :|

I hope you can get yours soon Val. I'm really interested in getting it myself, but have spent the money on Orcrist. I'm excited for the movie and for Orcrist :crazy:

Me too. :)

I preordered Orcrist as well, but unlike the staff, I haven't paid Derek for it yet as it was so far away at the time I placed the order. Perhaps I should take care of that now as it seems UC is making much smaller production runs of their items than in the days of the LOTR stuff.

All in all, I think that's a wise move on their part.

By the way, I am moving these posts to the Hobbit weapons thread.
This Space for Rent

I don't know how UC can be "sold out" or "oversold" on anything. There is no end to the production, and these are not limited editions. They will keep making them as long as they are selling.

There are almost always more preorders on a new film product than what they can ship initially, and it usually takes a few months before all the orders can be filled. Same as when the new LOTR products were released way back. What I was told is that they are having a small quantity of each items that is complete air shipped to UC's warehouse, so that some ship out before Christmas. After that they will come in one load at a time as they are built.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”