Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

N2darkness wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:26 am That's always great to hear! It's my most wanted piece for my collection! And always hope it's a "when" and not "if" it will get made. Even if they called it "deluxe" and had a higher price tag I think it would still do well as the aftermarket HCG version is insane! Over 2k and usually more!

Is there another list for other polyresin items as well, besides:
Aeglos
HEW helm rerelease
Witchking helm rerelease
Gandalf the White staff rerelease
There are a few other things, but nothing I can mention at the moment.
N2darkness wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:26 am I had thought that Gimli's axes were already in development? Previous comments that they were already priced out and decided to be done separately. Must be the case that design and cost breakdown are done, but no green light?
One of them was in process, but got bumped down the list when some other items needed attention. Nothing is happening at the moment.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:48 am Denethor's sword is still on the UC list to develop at some point, but not the Gondorian sword. Very little interest in that one. The UC crew had interest in Denethor's sword until I showed them a closeup of the hilt. The prop pommel is very rough, not symmetrical, and looks unfinished. I don't think it was ever intended to be seen up close, but I have not had time to show UC what it could look like in a more finished form.

These are the other bladed replicas on the UC idea list, for anyone interested:
The remaining Hobbit Weathertop swords
third Ringwraith sword
Haldir's sword
Merry and Pippin's Lorien knives
Gimli's throwing axes‬
Sword of Sauron

With the way the market is currently, we are waiting to see how the Faramir sword sells. No decision has been made on which one to do next, but I expect there will be some social media polling.
Thanx for all the info!
It's great to know that Denethor's sword has a chance to see the light of day. I would love to see your improved/finished version and I hope that the prop is not too rough to be improved or made look more finished and still remain authentic replica and acceptible to UC.

And regarding UC idea list of bladed replicas, I would love to have them all except Sauron's sword.
But if I would have to prioritize I would say:
1) Denethor's sword,
2) Haldir's sword,
3) remaining Hobbit Weathertop swords,
4) the rest.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

N2darkness wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:26 am Also, what kind of numbers (in sales or units sold) is considered successful for more items to be made? Like Eomer's sword to get the scabbard made, or the scabbard sales to get Theoden's approved, etc.
'Successful' really depends on a lot of factors. It's not just the units sold, but how fast they move and what kind of inventory risk it is. The the unit cost, the total inventory cost, how many units you need to sell just to pay for the tooling and break even, et cetera. Something with expensive tooling and high MOQ for the production run, like a sword, requires you to be selling several hundred a month continuously for a long period, where something like a poly replica that has a lower MOQ and tooling cost can take longer to sell through and still be OK. The Eomer sword sold fairly well and the reissued LOTR scabbards had been selling well, so that justified the Eomer scabbard. That scabbard was not a resounding success or anything, but sold enough to make it apparent that a new scabbard for a more established sword like Herugrim should work too.

Sometimes there is an initial burst of sales when a new item is released, making it seems like a hit, then it dies off a few months later. That does not bode well for chances of a scabbard getting made for a sword that is not selling. Or a new item starts slow and seems like a fail, but then slowly builds into a steady seller. Often it takes 6 months or more to really know. Maybe longer in the current economy, but the line is still healthy.
KRDS

EagleFriend wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:12 am It's great to know that Denethor's sword has a chance to see the light of day. I would love to see your improved/finished version and I hope that the prop is not too rough to be improved or made look more finished and still remain authentic replica and acceptible to UC.
With all the work Weta was trying to get done in a short period of time, it's no surprise that a few of the secondary character swords were not as detailed as the hero swords. Like I said, this was probably never intended to be seen up close.

It should be easy to clean up the engraving and make it, and the pommel shape, more symmetrical. There are not really any close up photos of the prop sword out there, other than what I have leaked, so most collectors don't even know what it really looks like in detail. I don't see anyone complaining about the doves on the Faramir cross guard not looking like they do on the prop. I modified that quite a bit from the sloppy doves on the prop, but I think I still kept the design intent intact. I'll do the same here.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:51 am
N2darkness wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:26 am Also, what kind of numbers (in sales or units sold) is considered successful for more items to be made? Like Eomer's sword to get the scabbard made, or the scabbard sales to get Theoden's approved, etc.
'Successful' really depends on a lot of factors. It's not just the units sold, but how fast they move and what kind of inventory risk it is. The the unit cost, the total inventory cost, how many units you need to sell just to pay for the tooling and break even, et cetera. Something with expensive tooling and high MOQ for the production run, like a sword, requires you to be selling several hundred a month continuously for a long period, where something like a poly replica that has a lower MOQ and tooling cost can take longer to sell through and still be OK. The Eomer sword sold fairly well and the reissued LOTR scabbards had been selling well, so that justified the Eomer scabbard. That scabbard was not a resounding success or anything, but sold enough to make it apparent that a new scabbard for a more established sword like Herugrim should work too.

Sometimes there is an initial burst of sales when a new item is released, making it seems like a hit, then it dies off a few months later. That does not bode well for chances of a scabbard getting made for a sword that is not selling. Or a new item starts slow and seems like a fail, but then slowly builds into a steady seller. Often it takes 6 months or more to really know. Maybe longer in the current economy, but the line is still healthy.
Thanks for the reply and clarification, as these are the things I was thinking as well. I'm sure there was some sort of internal number at UC like the (100 per month) that validates it as a success for each item.

It mostly seems like the word of mouth from collectors as these items get into their hands that maybe the initial boost to a new piece or the really long shipping time before people all over the word start to see them.

Hard core collectors that are in the know usually pre-order as soon as we can, where others wait for initial reviews before ordering. I know Drew has been sending free or promotional items to Matt from Nerd of the Rings on Youtube and using that as a way to help promote the product and can take months before the videos show up online. They even link to them on the BudK product pages.

It definitely feels healthy with lots of interest in new and old pieces from all sorts of people. I always get lots of interaction from people on Instagram whenever I post a new piece.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:43 am I see the writing on the wall... time to think about putting my HCG Lorien bow for sale, as well as my peacock quiver and arrows? I've a feeling those will plummet in value once UC's versions come out one day.
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure they'll go down in value. I'm thinking about how Master Replicas lightsabers have continued to hold their value despite all the various companies online now that make more accurate replicas, not to mention the uber accurate ones you find at places like the RPF. The HCG is a high quality piece. It was limited to only 500 units right? Even after UC releases there's, the HCG will still be a highly sought after collectible because of the rarity alone. Sure, they could dip a bit in price but I wouldn't expect them to plummet. That being said, if you're not particularly attached to the HCG and having possible seller's remorse, then sure, might as well unload it.

Just giving my thoughts, Val. Don't let me sway you one way or the other. I'd hate for you to sell it only for you to regret it or not sell it and it does end up dropping in price. xP

Ronin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:39 pm
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure they'll go down in value. I'm thinking about how Master Replicas lightsabers have continued to hold their value despite all the various companies online now that make more accurate replicas, not to mention the uber accurate ones you find at places like the RPF. The HCG is a high quality piece. It was limited to only 500 units right? Even after UC releases there's, the HCG will still be a highly sought after collectible because of the rarity alone. Sure, they could dip a bit in price but I wouldn't expect them to plummet. That being said, if you're not particularly attached to the HCG and having possible seller's remorse, then sure, might as well unload it.

Just giving my thoughts, Val. Don't let me sway you one way or the other. I'd hate for you to sell it only for you to regret it or not sell it and it does end up dropping in price. xP
Oh I'm very much attached to the bow and quiver, especially the bow, which I bought at retail price when it was first released. There were two versions of it, but the only difference was that the special edition one came with two magnetic arrowheads. I don't recall how many of each version was made, but there weren't many, hence the rarity and high cost. You're probably right, and I go through this every time UC announces that a replica is coming out that is something I already own either as a custom piece or one made long ago by another company.

So far, I've kept my metal Eomer and Theoden helms over UC's resin ones, and I plan to hang onto my Aeglos, which has a pole that is the correct length and is a single piece. Also, HCG's Lorien bow comes with a vertical display. ;)

Besides, from the time Kit confirms UC has approved something, it takes a year or more before it sees the light of day and that's a long time to have a blank spot on my wall.

As for that list, I'd love Haldir's sword, anything for Merry and Pippin, and Gimli's Throwing Axes. I'm neutral on the third wraith sword, and I've no real interest in Denethor's sword. As for Sauron's sword, it's fake news... never happened. :crazy:
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:05 am
EagleFriend wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:12 am It's great to know that Denethor's sword has a chance to see the light of day. I would love to see your improved/finished version and I hope that the prop is not too rough to be improved or made look more finished and still remain authentic replica and acceptible to UC.
With all the work Weta was trying to get done in a short period of time, it's no surprise that a few of the secondary character swords were not as detailed as the hero swords. Like I said, this was probably never intended to be seen up close.

It should be easy to clean up the engraving and make it, and the pommel shape, more symmetrical. There are not really any close up photos of the prop sword out there, other than what I have leaked, so most collectors don't even know what it really looks like in detail. I don't see anyone complaining about the doves on the Faramir cross guard not looking like they do on the prop. I modified that quite a bit from the sloppy doves on the prop, but I think I still kept the design intent intact. I'll do the same here.
Wow! A dream come true seeing that sword made....

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:48 am Denethor's sword is still on the UC list to develop at some point, but not the Gondorian sword. Very little interest in that one. The UC crew had interest in Denethor's sword until I showed them a closeup of the hilt. The prop pommel is very rough, not symmetrical, and looks unfinished. I don't think it was ever intended to be seen up close, but I have not had time to show UC what it could look like in a more finished form.

These are the other bladed replicas on the UC idea list, for anyone interested:
The remaining Hobbit Weathertop swords
third Ringwraith sword
Haldir's sword
Merry and Pippin's Lorien knives
Gimli's throwing axes‬
Sword of Sauron

With the way the market is currently, we are waiting to see how the Faramir sword sells. No decision has been made on which one to do next, but I expect there will be some social media polling.
Doing my part.....waiting for my Faramir´s and eager to preorder Boromir dagger...Haldir´s sword would be a must too.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:05 am

Yes... it's really amazing what they managed to do. To have original design for swords (and all other stuff) of minor characters is incredible. Ok they may look rough as you said since they were never intended to be seen up close but again, their overall design is original and interesting and that kind of details make LOTR movies realistic and immersive. And of course that is one of many reasons why a lot of people love LOTR movies.

Also there is UC that still continues to make new replicas (after more than two decades!) in the same style and of same quality.
And finally, we have you and your dedication Kit. I am very grateful for your work and presence on this forum. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that many things wouldn't come true if you weren't here and involved.

Great work on Faramir's sword! I can't wait to have it in my hands. I remember the dilema with the doves... final version is great so I'm looking forward to your tweaks with Denethor's sword if Eru wills it :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

Valkrist wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:02 pm Besides, from the time Kit confirms UC has approved something, it takes a year or more before it sees the light of day and that's a long time to have a blank spot on my wall.

As for that list, I'd love Haldir's sword, anything for Merry and Pippin, and Gimli's Throwing Axes. I'm neutral on the third wraith sword, and I've no real interest in Denethor's sword. As for Sauron's sword, it's fake news... never happened. :crazy:
UC did another poll on that LOTR Collectors Facebook group for the next steel blade replica yesterday. Same six items I mentioned on this page, but users added all kinds of stuff to the poll that are not swords or knives, so the numbers are all skewed. It turned into another anything and everything poll, but Merry and Pippin's Lothlorien knife got the most votes, followed by Haldir's sword. So far anyway.

UC also asked me about developing the Lothlorien bow yesterday :)
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:16 am UC did another poll on that LOTR Collectors Facebook group for the next steel blade replica yesterday. Same six items I mentioned on this page, but users added all kinds of stuff to the poll that are not swords or knives, so the numbers are all skewed. It turned into another anything and everything poll, but Merry and Pippin's Lothlorien knife got the most votes, followed by Haldir's sword. So far anyway.

I was going to mention the poll today as someone forwarded me some results as I'm not on FB.

I was curious as about the items you didn't have physical props from as there are many on the list. Are these some you have more references from and that was why they are on the list? or just collector input?

Also wasn't Sam's sword one that didn't have a physical piece for as well? And if they happened to do the other Weathertop blades would a MC finish be a variant option?

Awesome news about the Lothlorien bow! Hope it moves to production :thumbs_up

N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:30 am I was curious as about the items you didn't have physical props from as there are many on the list. Are these some you have more references from and that was why they are on the list? or just collector input?
Drew only had the six items at the top in the original poll. It was just supposed for the next bladed replica, but then members added all the non sword/knife stuff below it afterwards. Apparently Facebook allows users to do that, and vote for multiple items, which makes the poll a bit useless.

Out of the top six, I never had props for the Weathertop swords, Denethor, or the Lorien knife. I have good prop master photo reference for most of that stuff though, and I had props for the rest. I also know where to get what I don't have.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:04 am
N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:30 am I was curious as about the items you didn't have physical props from as there are many on the list. Are these some you have more references from and that was why they are on the list? or just collector input?
Drew only had the six items at the top in the original poll. It was just supposed for the next bladed replica, but then members added all the non sword/knife stuff below it afterwards. Apparently Facebook allows users to do that, and vote for multiple items, which makes the poll a bit useless.

Out of the top six, I never had props for the Weathertop swords, Denethor, or the Lorien knife. I have good prop master photo reference for most of that stuff though, and I had props for the rest. I also know where to get what I don't have.
So you had the 3rd Ringwraith sword at one time? And I'm sure since UC still has the license it would possible to get something from Weta if needed? Be it measurements or additional photos, as I'd assume getting stunt versions or castings are impossible at this point.

I had another question, since UC has made the One Ring for a few Sauron pieces can they make the other rings? Like the rest of the Rings of power. Noble Collection doesn't make them anymore and only options are either crappy Chinese knock-offs or expensive actual jewelry. A moderate alternative with a cool display of all the rings would be super cool. Was just a thought as other items were being discussed awhile ago (banners, leather items, etc).

Excellent news all around, even if I'm living in a fantasy world because in reality I have almost zero space left for anything, but say I did... when you say Lorien "daggers", are we 100% talking plural, as in a display that includes both, or would UC view that as too redundant and only release one, and then people can buy a second one if they want both?

For Haldir's sword, all of the Elven blades to date with the exception of the Mirkwood soldier sword, have had horizontal displays. I know it's very, very early to even conceptualize that, but which route would you see yourself and UC leaning towards on this one?

Lastly, if the Weathertop blades ever see the light of day, would that include Frodo's, or just Merry and Pippin's? Also, please beg UC to make the screen-accurate, weathered versions. I know the non-MC Sam sword was a good seller, but it really sticks out as not fitting with the collection otherwise.
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm So you had the 3rd Ringwraith sword at one time? And I'm sure since UC still has the license it would possible to get something from Weta if needed? Be it measurements or additional photos, as I'd assume getting stunt versions or castings are impossible at this point.
I'm pretty sure we were loaned all three RW swords at different times, unless I am misremembering. I have photos and measurements of the third one here somewhere. I think we even made CAD drawings for costing at the old UC.

Getting anything from Weta is next to impossible at this point. They stopped loaning us props in 2003. I think they would have carried on making duplicate stunt props for us from the original molds if they could, but they shut that down a long time ago. The last time I requested a sword prop was around 2005 and I was told all the molds were in bad shape and unusable. The production had been closed for several years by then, and they had many other projects to focus on, so I think they really just wanted to be done with it and move on. I suppose I could arrange a visit to NZ to measure and photograph specific props they have in house if needed, but UC is not going to pay for that. I have props or prop master photos to reference for nearly everything on UC's development list. I know a couple of people who still have the full New Line LOTR prop photo library as well, much more than what I have.
N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm I had another question, since UC has made the One Ring for a few Sauron pieces can they make the other rings? Like the rest of the Rings of power. Noble Collection doesn't make them anymore and only options are either crappy Chinese knock-offs or expensive actual jewelry. A moderate alternative with a cool display of all the rings would be super cool. Was just a thought as other items were being discussed awhile ago (banners, leather items, etc).
I'm sure UC could get any LOTR product category they wanted added at this point, but I doubt they want to take on anything more at this time.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:45 pm Excellent news all around, even if I'm living in a fantasy world because in reality I have almost zero space left for anything, but say I did... when you say Lorien "daggers", are we 100% talking plural, as in a display that includes both, or would UC view that as too redundant and only release one, and then people can buy a second one if they want both?
A set of two would be ideal, but with the crazy cost to make anything these days, I'm sure UC will want to sell it as a single. Maybe have the display work to hold one or two.

My preference would actually be a single knife with the scabbard, and no display. That's probably not going to happen though as that same idea was shot down when I proposed it for the Boromir dagger.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:45 pm For Haldir's sword, all of the Elven blades to date with the exception of the Mirkwood soldier sword, have had horizontal displays. I know it's very, very early to even conceptualize that, but which route would you see yourself and UC leaning towards on this one?
Vertical is my choice. I don't think it has been discussed at UC yet.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:45 pm Lastly, if the Weathertop blades ever see the light of day, would that include Frodo's, or just Merry and Pippin's? Also, please beg UC to make the screen-accurate, weathered versions. I know the non-MC Sam sword was a good seller, but it really sticks out as not fitting with the collection otherwise.
It would be all three, but made one at a time. We have not discussed the order, but I think Frodo's would be next. As far as weathering... I never wanted a non-weathered version of the Sam sword.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:16 am
Valkrist wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:02 pm Besides, from the time Kit confirms UC has approved something, it takes a year or more before it sees the light of day and that's a long time to have a blank spot on my wall.

UC did another poll on that LOTR Collectors Facebook group for the next steel blade replica yesterday. Same six items I mentioned on this page, but users added all kinds of stuff to the poll that are not swords or knives, so the numbers are all skewed. It turned into another anything and everything poll, but Merry and Pippin's Lothlorien knife got the most votes, followed by Haldir's sword. So far anyway.

Yep...they took your answer to my wishlist...but when I left my vote and last time I saw Denethor´s Sword was in first place by a long shot... xP please...I want that sword so bad...

Lothlorien bow - count me in!!!

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:16 am

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:42 pm
Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:45 pm Excellent news all around, even if I'm living in a fantasy world because in reality I have almost zero space left for anything, but say I did... when you say Lorien "daggers", are we 100% talking plural, as in a display that includes both, or would UC view that as too redundant and only release one, and then people can buy a second one if they want both?
A set of two would be ideal, but with the crazy cost to make anything these days, I'm sure UC will want to sell it as a single. Maybe have the display work to hold one or two.

My preference would actually be a single knife with the scabbard, and no display. That's probably not going to happen though as that same idea was shot down when I proposed it for the Boromir dagger.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:45 pm For Haldir's sword, all of the Elven blades to date with the exception of the Mirkwood soldier sword, have had horizontal displays. I know it's very, very early to even conceptualize that, but which route would you see yourself and UC leaning towards on this one?
Vertical is my choice. I don't think it has been discussed at UC yet.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:45 pm Lastly, if the Weathertop blades ever see the light of day, would that include Frodo's, or just Merry and Pippin's? Also, please beg UC to make the screen-accurate, weathered versions. I know the non-MC Sam sword was a good seller, but it really sticks out as not fitting with the collection otherwise.
It would be all three, but made one at a time. We have not discussed the order, but I think Frodo's would be next. As far as weathering... I never wanted a non-weathered version of the Sam sword.
Thank you very much for all that information. :)

I guess Sam's shiny sword sold well because the MC version was already impossible to get. I myself would have preferred the weathering version, but only the shiny new version was for sale at the time.

For those who have Sam's Sword in the non MC shiny version....
Console yourselves (seriously) in the knowledge that you actually own [the nearest thing to] the true Barrow Downs swords (aka Weather Top swords) as described in FOTR.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Hey Kit, two questions:

- How close is the White Staff reissue to coming out? I'm at the crossroads point of either putting up my old version or waiting, and if the latter, would like to know roughly how long that would be. Just wary of putting extra holes on my wall when the new mount will no doubt be different than the old one.

- When you mentioned the possibility of UC making the other three Weathertop swords, you said if it happens, Frodo's is likely to be first. Now, is there any of convincing you, United, or both, to do Merry and Pippin's first? I honestly find the choice of going with Frodo's first a bit baffling, especially if it's a situation where the other two aren't guaranteed and UC wants to wait and see how well the first one sells before making the other two. I mean, when it comes Frodo's weapon, everyone's mind goes immediately to Sting. On the other hand, Merry and Pippin are the only two Fellowship members (and also major characters) to not have any weapon props to represent them in our collections for 20 years. Why not start with them? Consider the screen time:

Frodo's sword:
- Aragorn giving the Hobbits the swords
- Hobbits draw blades at Weathertop
... and that's it! The sword is never seen again for the whole three movies.

Merry & Pippin's swords:
- Aragorn giving the Hobbits the swords
- Hobbits draw blades at Weathertop
- Merry and Pippin practice swordplay with Boromir in Eregion
- Merry and Pippin use their swords during the Chamber of Mazarbul fight
- The two swords are drawn in the ill-fated charge against the Uruk-hai at Amon Hen

I think there's a very solid case for making those before Frodo's, wouldn't you say? Especially if there's any possibility poor sales of Frodo's sword could hurt their chances, and I honestly don't foresee Frodo's being all that popular because a) Sting!, and b) hardly in the movies.

It sounds like none of this is final (heck, UC may even decide never to make any of them), but if they do, please reconsider the order in which they will come out.

Lastly, did you get my PM by any chance?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:14 pm Hey Kit, two questions:

- How close is the White Staff reissue to coming out? I'm at the crossroads point of either putting up my old version or waiting, and if the latter, would like to know roughly how long that would be. Just wary of putting extra holes on my wall when the new mount will no doubt be different than the old one.
It is still a long way off. I don't expect it until next Summer at this point. UC's factory has matched the paint finish of the 3 Foot 6 film prop I used to own, but the casting and shaft construction still have a lot of issues that need to be worked out before I can approve it. Here is what it looks like currently.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:14 pm - When you mentioned the possibility of UC making the other three Weathertop swords, you said if it happens, Frodo's is likely to be first. Now, is there any of convincing you, United, or both, to do Merry and Pippin's first?
Frodo is likely the one UC will want first, but we really have not even gotten to that stage yet, but one of the things I will point out is how we have nothing for Merry and Pippin in the line yet. I kind of want to get all three in the pipeline at the same same, so they come out 6 months apart, but I doubt that will happen.
KRDS

The subtle grey wash woodgraining effect looks great! I would figure it would have to be done assembled with it's corresponding lower half of the pole assembled, otherwise the paint lines wouldn't match up and making the seam even more noticeable.

I also vote for some Merry and Pippin representation at some point. But definitely would like to have all 3 Weathertop blades. Here's to hoping if they move forward, they all 3 get "greenlit" at the same time.

Thanks for the answers, Kit!

The staff is looking great, and I concur with what N2 said in that I hope some effort is made in making sure the two halves of the shaft line up so that any woodgrain lines are not visibly mismatched. I believe it's been mentioned this was a problem on the Eomer spear?

As for the Weathertop blades, if they don't go with Merry and Pippin first, then I really hope the alternative is that all three get the ok regardless and that we eventually get them. I'm pretty sure I won't get Frodo's (no room or interest), but here's to hoping the other two arrive someday. I'm guessing at this point the Lorien knives (knife?) are more likely?
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:58 am The subtle grey wash woodgraining effect looks great! I would figure it would have to be done assembled with it's corresponding lower half of the pole assembled, otherwise the paint lines wouldn't match up and making the seam even more noticeable.
There is barely any wood grain effect on the shaft of the prop, but I had them test it anyway. The factory cannot make them match, so the grain will taper off after the crown like it did on the prop.

It's not really a wood grain look however, and I'm not sure that was even the intent. The prop had more of a white washed picket fence look, like the bleached white paint finish on the Elven boats, oars, and some of the carved white wood work seen in Lothlorien.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:17 am The staff is looking great, and I concur with what N2 said in that I hope some effort is made in making sure the two halves of the shaft line up so that any woodgrain lines are not visibly mismatched. I believe it's been mentioned this was a problem on the Eomer spear?
It was not an issue on the two production spears I got, but that shaft is so dark that a mismatch is not very noticeable. It's much more visible on a bone white shaft!
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:26 am
N2darkness wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:58 am The subtle grey wash woodgraining effect looks great! I would figure it would have to be done assembled with it's corresponding lower half of the pole assembled, otherwise the paint lines wouldn't match up and making the seam even more noticeable.
There is barely any wood grain effect on the shaft of the prop, but I had them test it anyway. The factory cannot make them match, so the grain will taper off after the crown like it did on the prop.

It's not really a wood grain look however, and I'm not sure that was even the intent. The prop had more of a white washed picket fence look, like the bleached white paint finish on the Elven boats, oars, and some of the carved white wood work seen in Lothlorien.
I had to do some checking as I assumed the effect ran the entire length of the staff. But just as you said it is a faded white wash especially over the lower section. It just looks darker and pronounced on the head.

Kit, would you say this new staff is near to exactly the same length as UC's original release (the one with the metal crown)?

Seeing as the mount supports the crown at about the same location as the old one (although you do have it at different heights in each of those two photos), I'm thinking I could still mount the old staff for now and then use at least one of the screw holes for the new mount and that it would easily cover the second hole.
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:50 am I had to do some checking as I assumed the effect ran the entire length of the staff. But just as you said it is a faded white wash especially over the lower section. It just looks darker and pronounced on the head.
I suppose it makes sense it has that look, because Galadriel probably pulled an old staff from her closet of wizard staffs in Lothlorien to give to the resurrected Gandalf. Even the trees in Lothlorien had a similar aged white wash look to them in the movie. Like it once had a purity, but that time was passing by.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:07 am Kit, would you say this new staff is near to exactly the same length as UC's original release (the one with the metal crown)?
I never got one of those metal things, and I don't remember if the length was correct. The prop is 72", as were the later poly and wood UC replicas, and this new one.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:07 am Seeing as the mount supports the crown at about the same location as the old one (although you do have it at different heights in each of those two photos), I'm thinking I could still mount the old staff for now and then use at least one of the screw holes for the new mount and that it would easily cover the second hole.
The mount in those photos does not hold it correctly. It's one of the things still being tweaked, but it is supposed to hold like the placement in the photo on the left.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:26 am Thanks for posting that.

I voted for the Wheatertop swords as I think Merry and Pippin have gotten the shaft for 20 years. I really want the Lorien knife too, but with the swords, we'd get one individualized weapon for each Hobbit, whereas the knife is a single item (though you could always buy two).
I did as well, but also really want the 3rd Ringwraith sword and was hard to choose. Merry and Pippin have won out as there under represented as you said. Hopefully it will go somewhere.

TMcLim wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:42 am Hi Kit, just saw a picture of the new Rohan banner, looks great! Do you know how many UC plans to do? Apologies if that's been asked before
I think the plan was to release three to start, then see how they sell before making more. It is still in the sample stage, so I have not even picked the other two yet. I guess they leaked that image to see what kind of interest there was.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:55 am
TMcLim wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:42 am Hi Kit, just saw a picture of the new Rohan banner, looks great! Do you know how many UC plans to do? Apologies if that's been asked before
I think the plan was to release three to start, then see how they sell before making more. It is still in the sample stage, so I have not even picked the other two yet. I guess they leaked that image to see what kind of interest there was.
Who are these crazy people out there that actually have place on their walls for banners?!? :crazy2:
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:55 am
The former Rohan LTD Ed. are the most sought today...I think I got all the Gondor ones...maybe some not so known ...Dol Amroth? Denethor´s? Faramir´s?

I saw the results of those UC polls.

37% - Sword of Sauron
20% - Merry and Pippin's Lorien knife
16.9% - Haldir's Sword
9.7% - Sword of Denethor
9.3% - Weathertop Short Swords
7.1% - Third Ringwraith sword

It's interesting to contrast that poll, which are all actual UC LOTR buyers, with the general LOTR collectors from that LOTR Facebook poll a few weeks back. The last time I looked at it the Lorien knife was #1 and Haldir’s sword #2, far above everything else. The rest were all around 8%, with Sauron’s sword last.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”