Which old UC item would you like to return most?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 am You may select up to 15 options

Boromir's sword
Total votes: 8 (21%)
Eowyn's sword
Total votes: 7 (18%)
Herugrim
Total votes: 1 (3%)
Hadhafang
Strider's elven knife
Total votes: 3 (8%)
Gimli's battle axe
Gimli's bearded axe
Total votes: 3 (8%)
Gimil's walking axe
Total votes: 2 (5%)
Isildur's sword
Total votes: 4 (11%)
Legolas' scabbards
Blue Glamdring scabbard
Frodo's Sting scabbard (No votes)
Saruman's staff
Witch-king's helm
None - just focus on Hobbit items
Total votes: 38

Re: Which old UC item would you like to return most?

I hope you guys don't mind me digging up an old thread :) .
The easy thing for me to say is I want all the items I don't own to return :D . But I'll just narrow it down to a top 5:

1. Boromir sword.
2. Witchking sword.
3. Strider scabbard.
4. Witchking helm.
5. Glamdring scabbard (blue or white but preferably blue first).

Items I own but I would like to see others get a chance at owning:

1. Gimli battle axe- Perhaps the most prominent Tolkien character whose weapon isn't readily available.
2. Anduril scabbard- The most popular (and I'm guessing best selling) sword UC makes and its scabbard isn't readily available.
3. Staff of Saruman- Not as accurate as the Weta version but I still think this was a solid replica. The orb and crown had a nice heft to it. Maybe a little too heavy but it didn't feel cheap. If they brought it back with some accuracy upgrades, I think it would sell like hotcakes.
4. Narsil- Not as big a seller as Anduril but it's the exact same sword minus the Elvish runes and sun & moon symbols on the blade. In order to not have to invest in a full run, I wonder if UC could set aside a small batch of Anduril hilts, install a plain blade instead, and sell them as Narsils. Is it as simple as it sounds or would it require massive retooling at the factory and not be cost efficient?
5. Uruk-Hai Scimitar- The main weapon of the baddies. I'm sure many fans would still want to add this piece to put a little evil representation in their collections 8-) . I could be totally wrong on that.

Bonus pick: Gandalf the Grey staff from the Hobbit- My favorite of all the staff replicas so far. The quality of this piece is amazing. Not as popular as the Moria staff but I think it should always be in stock. Only reason I don't put it higher is because the Illuminated staff is practically the same and is still available for a decent price.

Note: If Gandalf's white staff and Sauron's mace weren't being brought back, they would've made the list too.

I realize an item I listed is limited edition and there's some complications with rereleasing LE merch. But that's a topic for another day ;) .

I love re-igniting old discussions.

To address the problem right away, I will state once more that I am adamantly opposed to rereleasing Limited Edition items. It's dishonest, plain and simple, and a betrayal of the trust and premise on which the item was originally sold on in the first place. The only exception to this is when UC revealed that a few LE runs were never completed, like the Isildur and Gondor Soldier helms, and they moved to complete those runs years later. Period.

I feel for those that missed out on them originally, but these are the pitfalls of collecting, and LE items are meant to be rarities by definition. To ignore that and make more is morally wrong.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to discuss but the two issues are very much intertwined so it's really impossible to ignore.

Moving on, based on aftermarket prices and latecomers to collecting who always ask for the same items, mainly because the initial runs were scarce, I would say:

- Witchking Sword
- Ringwraith Sword
- Isildur's Sword
- Eowyn's Sword

I won't list Boromir's sword because they already reissued that one, although they majorly screwed up with the stitching on the handle.

By the way, have you heard any updates on the Gandalf the White staff? Is it simply a re-issue of the resin version from years ago, or is it actually different/updated in any way? I have the original metal crown one and am wanting to replace it, so whatever they do, I hope it's good.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am
Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to discuss but the two issues are very much intertwined so it's really impossible to ignore.
Oh I very much wanted to discuss this too because like you said they are intertwined :) .

Yeah, I hear ya on rereleasing LE items and I'm pretty much in agreement with you, Val. If a company makes something that is limited edition, it should honor that status and commit to it plain and simple. That being said, this is why I'm against limited editions to begin with. I always prefer certain items to be readily available for late comers, new fans, or even those who had a first run item but lost it somehow or it got damaged or they had to sell it somewhere along the way and would now like to reacquire it. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that keeps the collecting spirit strong. Imagine for example if they had stopped producing Anduril after the initial limited run. For a lot of collectors, including myself, that was our first "dip" into the waters of the UC replica line. I don't think I would have been interested in acquiring the others if I couldn't at least have Anduril and that would've been a shame.

Maybe there can be a compromise though and again I'm thinking of the LE Anduril. The LE versions were numbered and had their own distinct plaque. So despite a regular edition being made, the LE still retain their uniqueness and rarity. Maybe something akin to that can be done with the LE helms and swords. Maybe give them a new plaque/stand or a distinguishing feature like a proof mark that identifies them as non-limited. Or maybe do something completely different with each item. Take Shards of Narsil for example. I would love to see UC reissue it but in a different form. Maybe a version where not only the hilt but all the shards don't have to be connected to a plaque and can be positioned any way you want. It wouldn't be as neat & tidy but it would give you the ability to display them in more of a "movie" way.

Re: Gandalf the White Staff

The only info I got was I asked one of the customer service reps at Budk if the staff was going to be one piece and she confirmed that it indeed was. I don't know if they're a reliable source or not. I have the resin crown one and I have to say it sucks royally lol. Was so disappointed with it. The overall mold of the crown is sloppy and the base of the crown isn't glued down well to the shaft so there's a noticeable separation there when it should look seamless. Just awful.

Yep, your idea is perfect: LE items should be reserved only for things that the manufacturer firmly believes there will be only a small demand and interest for. This way, they don't risk losing money in making large runs of an item that has limited appeal, or have to keep tooling and moulds around forever. To use your example of Anduril, I like what they did because it offered both camps a choice - a limited edition blade with a special plaque and gold runes; and a less fancy version for the less discerning collector. I think the Shards, as the very first LE item ever produced, were surely thought by them to be something that the average person wouldn't be interested in, as it was a niche collectible for the hardcore fans. With Narsil already out and Anduril in the planning stages, I think 5000 pieces was a good number and idea for something like that. After all, who wants a broken blade. Well, guess what? Lots of people.

Where things began to go wrong was making the helms and shields limited. Granted I think this decision was made because again, UC thought that ok, people will collect swords like there's no tomorrow, but helms and shields? That's a lot tougher to push across to the average person. So, perhaps the decision to make them limited was the right one, but the edition sizes should have been bigger to avoid the scarcity we have today. In hindsight, some of the LE runs ended up being even smaller than the planned edition size because UC went bankrupt and didn't complete some of those runs. By the time the company was bought and restructured, the market had seriously cooled off and demand was no longer nearly as high with the movies already 10+ years in the rear view mirror. What made me mad was when they succumbed to greed and dishonestly by releasing previously completed LE items like Sauron's Helm, Sauron's Gauntlet, and the Second Age Gondor Shield, and no, changing materials on the shield or creating new stands for the helms is hogwash - it's still the same collectible, and your breaking your promise. Not cool.

Nowadays every second item they release is either Limited or part of an open run that is still very small. They really do have to weight the costs of bringing these things to market, and yeah, there's always new collectors coming onto the market, but there are an equal number of people out there getting rid of their collections. Only caveat there is the premium on resale, and that, I feel, is where you don't want to get burned.

Re: GtW staff... strange. Yeah, I would take that info with a grain of salt. The person you spoke to was probably still in their diapers when the original staff came out... lol. They likely said it's all one piece because that's how they come now and they have no idea that the early staves came in two pieces. Still, if that has changed and that truly is a new, one-piece staff with a retooled crown, so much the better. I wish Kit were here to shed some light on that. I want the resin version at the very least, because... believe it or not, the metal one was even worse.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:24 pm
Nowadays every second item they release is either Limited or part of an open run that is still very small. They really do have to weight the costs of bringing these things to market, and yeah, there's always new collectors coming onto the market, but there are an equal number of people out there getting rid of their collections. Only caveat there is the premium on resale, and that, I feel, is where you don't want to get burned.
Good point. I mean you can still run across a good deal on ebay every now and then so it's not impossible to find these out there.

I should also clarify about the crown of the White Staff. I said the mold on the crown was bad but really I should have said specifically the casting is bad. It's very globby like a melted candle. The crown shape itself is okay but it could be better too. It's a bit tilted. I didn't even know there was a metal crown originally. We'll see what the reissue is like. If they don't retool the crown, I hope they at least make it one piece since every other staff is like that now.

Good info, Val. Thank you! :thumbs_up

Thank you.

Yeah, the lines on the casting of the original staff's crown are clean and sharp, owing to the fact they are metal. However, they made some of the end tips too short by comparison to the prop (where they join at the top), and the seams of the separate pieces that make up the crown weren't properly bonded together to each other or the shaft, leaving visible gaps. Even worse, they didn't properly test the paint for metal at cold temperatures and so most of them arrived in customers' hands with the paint on the crown chipped and/or cracked, especially around those seams I mentioned.

What I really should do is fill those gaps with some white silicone, then just repaint the whole thing. :crazy2:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:53 pm
Idril wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 pmAlong those lines - I would put forward my Orcrist. Never was a ME weapon design more evident that John Howe had nothing to do with it than this one.
But... but... that dragon tooth handle and the fake history are so cool....

:rolleye: x infinity
I detect an odor of equine carcass......

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Ronin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:24 pm I actually like the design of Orcrist... *runs and hides :embarasse *
:crazy: It’s one of my favourite sword designs. Seeing it in its scabbard really shows what a true work of art it is. Yes, it’s a bit different to what we expect from elves, but I still think it fits the rules of their culture that they set up.

I really miss having the anticipation of seeing new weapons. I remember in the run up to the first Hobbit movie coming out how much excitement (and gnashing of teeth) there was in this forum about the designs of the weapons.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I see this thread has the last post by Nerdernal. Did anyone ever heard from her?

I’m not being nosy but she told me she was going on holidays to the Aussie outback and I remain curious what happened. I didn’t hear of any tourists being eaten by a Salty around then. :club: I’m hoping she is ok and just fell in love with a guy (or gal) or the outback. Somehow though, it seems strange she never returned here or FoU. Not even to say goodbye I’m selling everything.

I'll never forget my trusty item hunter. She helped me find a couple of things online that I wanted and I am grateful to this day.

I don't recall anyone ever saying they had heard from her again. I do remember someone here (Dark Shadow?) being particularly distressed she never resurfaced again. I hope she's ok and happy somewhere.

Rereading the thread, I really miss Rosere too. :(
This Space for Rent

Yes I believe you’re right it was Dark Shadow but for some reason I do recall someone coming back saying she was ok, but I may just be remembering wrong. I hope she’s ok.

Yes, quite a few members have slipped away over the years, which is a shame. Hopefully the Amazon series might bring them back. Or Guthwine.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Ronin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:24 pm I actually like the design of Orcrist... *runs and hides :embarasse *
Ronin, no need to be embarassed. Here you are allowed to like (and dislike) a collectible with impunity.
We don't flame you....we will still think you worthy to be a forum-ite ... altho' perhaps a bit unhinged ....

Re Nerdenel.....yep, very odd. Just a few months prior to her going silent I acted in her behalf to purchase Hadhafang and ship it to her.
We chit-chatted a bit, she mentioned the upcoming trip to Oz, then....nothing. Hope she's OK.

I'm also opposed to Limited Editions being re-released. And last year saw both Factory Entertainment and Valyrian Steel remaking long sold out LE swords - which really bothers me. I think United Cutlery did a good job with their approach by having 2 versions of the same sword. A regular open edition and then either a better quality or "battle worn" version in their Museum Collection line. So everyone can obtain the more affordable version, and those that wanted to spend a little more to get a piece that will be more collectable - could do so.... or buy both haha. My issue with these other companies is that they're remaking the exact same sword - and believe that changing a serial number or a plaque is grounds for a completely different item. Sorry for the little rant - I've noticed this trend in the sword collecting world getting worse over the past few years, and it's really upsetting me and my long loved hobby.

As for remaking non-limited editions - i'm all for that! Popular items should not be LE in the first place. My vote for UC LOTR would be:
- All Gimli's axes.
- Eowyn's sword.
- Isildur's sword.
- Boromir's sword.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”