Which old UC item would you like to return most?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 am You may select up to 15 options

Boromir's sword
Total votes: 8 (21%)
Eowyn's sword
Total votes: 7 (18%)
Herugrim
Total votes: 1 (3%)
Hadhafang
Strider's elven knife
Total votes: 3 (8%)
Gimli's battle axe
Gimli's bearded axe
Total votes: 3 (8%)
Gimil's walking axe
Total votes: 2 (5%)
Isildur's sword
Total votes: 4 (11%)
Legolas' scabbards
Blue Glamdring scabbard
Frodo's Sting scabbard (No votes)
Saruman's staff
Witch-king's helm
None - just focus on Hobbit items
Total votes: 38

Which old UC item would you like to return most?

So my question is this: if UC were to do another production run of an item from LOTR, which item would you most like to see return?

Note that this is not for new LOTR items, this is just for items that have previously been released.

The high elven warrior sword and sword of Sam aren't options because BUDK just found some and probably satisfied most demand. Evils aren't options because they haven't sold well in the past. Most LE items aren't an option because they shouldn't be reproduced, but new UC can do whatever they want of course. Strider scabbard is not on here because UC recently retired Strider's sword.

This is just to get a general sense of where the collecting community's interests lie. It may be a bit skewed as many of us own the majority of these items, but in that case you can pick what you think would be the best decision from a UC perspective. :thumbs_up

Re: Which old UC item would you like to return most?

Yea, I'm with Val. I'm fine with any of the non LE items being put back into production (as I have nearly every weapon they have produced so far). However, I would much prefer they focus on Hobbit and LotR stuff they haven't made yet....OOOOOOOORRRRRR, they could focus on their quality assurance issues and customer service.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Most LE items aren't an option because they shouldn't be reproduced, but new UC can do whatever they want of course.[/quote]

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Witch-king's helm is the only LE item on here because, let's face it, they fetch major bucks in the aftermarket, and they just re-released Sauron's stuff. Not saying they should do it. :| [/quote]

[quote=""Valkrist""]No LE items!!!

Don't encourage UC to ruin our collections even more. :angry: [/quote]

I'm hoping your frustrations truly lie with UC and not me. :( As much as I would love to own a high elven war helm, I'm not out begging UC to bring that back. I respect that it was a completed 5000 LE helm run, and I'm going to have to be satisfied with a Rivendell helm. I wasn't trying to encourage them, and I'd hoped I'd made that clear. That fact that only one person has voted for the Wiki helm thus far is a pretty clear signal that this is not a contender in this community.

I don't think UC is really interested in seeking out our poll, but if we collectively choose to present our ideas to UC via Facebook as Kit has sugested, I think we'd have more success if we all asked for front runners, rather than everyone asking for something different. At least that was my idea behind the poll. The Anduril scabbard was gone for nearly a decade, and voila, 1000 of them return for a short time. :thumbs_up If I email Derek to let him know where our interests lie, I'd prefer to have something concrete, rather than just a hunch.

My High Elven Warrior Sword remains to come.
You may recall I am customizing it from long ago.

I just thought I'd bring this up so those of you still hoping to get a hold of one would know.

I haven't finished it yet, and what I'm doing remains to be seen.
If successful, I think at this point in time you all know what's coming.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]Ummmm...thoughts?

http://www.budk.com/product/The-Lord-of ... 159549.uts

http://www.budk.com/product/The-Lord-of ... 159550.uts

http://www.budk.com/product/The-Lord-of ... 159553.uts[/quote]

My honest thoughts? I am so confused! :huh:

Well, actually I shouldn't be, because we figured out a long time ago we should be using reverse psychology when it comes to UC. We should be asking UC for the "RMC" instead of the most highly sought after swords. :rolleye:

Alright, enough with my sarcasm. I just have no idea why they're bringing Strider's sword back. No one was asking for this! And not just here, no one was asking for it on the Facebook poll. The only Strider item people were asking for was the Elven knife. Unless UC is very confused about the difference between the two, I don't understand this.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]As of this morning.

#1 - Anduril Scabbard, Striders Elven Knife, Glamdring Blue Scabbard, Boromir's Sword, High Elven War Sword.
#2 - Hadhafang, Gimlis Walking Axe, Gimlis Bearded Axe, Eowyn Sword.
#3 - There were about equal requests for the Legolas Scabbards, Gimlis Battle Axe, Isildurs Sword, High Elven War Helm, and Herugrum.

I think a few of those were already in the works before the poll, but hopefully several others may be added to the 'last chance' reissues.[/quote]

Second, while it makes sense to bring Hadhafang back if Elrond will be seen using it in the Hobbit films, I don't understand why it makes sense to bring it back as an LOTR Arwen's sword (she's not in the films, right?). Legolas' knives are essentially the same, and yet those were repackaged for the Hobbit. And, it still has the stand most of us probably wish was a wall plaque. Like the wall plaque for Thranduil's sword. But I suppose I am glad it is coming back, but I wish a little more thought went into this rerelease.

Next the HEWS. I guess don't understand why this one is being rushed back because it isn't being featured in the Hobbit films, and not nearly as many people are asking for it. Maybe because it doesn't have any leather in the grip. :P

All three of these are posted with no pomp, no announcements...and yet everyone knows about the Anduril scabbard that has yet to be added to the website? :huh: I'm suspicious of there being no dates either, but this can't possibly be old stock still...

Last point, I don't understand why UC solicits our requests, and then only kinda, sorta listens to them. Unless they are going to announce a bunch of other LOTR rereleases later, but I think that chance is slim. Why would UC want more to produce/stock more LOTR items than Hobbit items? But if they do bring more LOTR items back, then that is great, and you won't hear any complaints for me. Mostly I'm not understanding the rationale behind the choices for current rereleases, and I'm seeing this as decreasing the chances for items I really want to see brought back. So, I'm not complaining, because I love me some more LOTR, but I am confused...

I don't think the reappearance of these on BudK necessarily means they're coming back. It could just as easily be an error, but I found it strange that they're showing up on their LOTR page.

And as Kit's pointed out many times, the UC Facebook page and BudK site are not updated by people who know the ins and outs of UC's production.

This is simply curious to me that these are being relisted, and so soon after the poll on their Facebook page. Even IF these items were to be rereleased, it's strange that they're listing them now when they'd likely be available towards the end of the year (assuming their rerelease was put into motion after that FB poll).

Hadhafang and HEWS are elvish weapons, and those are basically just UC printing money.

Strider's sword is an interesting development. I never picked one up as it didn't appeal to me much. My only thought is that, if UC is in the know, we may actually end up seeing Aragorn in the final Hobbit film despite media coverage to the contrary. Would easily e xp lain why the sword he would logically be using might be worth producing again...

[quote=""GuardianWolf""].....My only thought is that, if UC is in the know, we may actually end up seeing Aragorn in the final Hobbit film despite media coverage to the contrary. Would easily e xp lain why the sword he would logically be using might be worth producing again...[/quote]

If he shows up in the BofFA with his ranger sword it's going to be taller than he is :D .

Bilbo was born in 2890 TA. He was 50 when he traveled with the dwarves to Erebor, meaning about the year 2940.
Aragorn was born in 2931.....so, ummm, do the math, as they say.

He'd be nine or 10 years old.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

The films have deviated in plenty of other ways to justify it. I refer specifically to this scene from The Two Towers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK6za19TyBk

Where (at least in the film universe) we learn that Aragorn is 87 years old. If The Hobbit films are meant to take place 60 years prior to LOTR, that would make Aragorn 27 years old.

I would not put it past the writers to have Aragorn show up in The Hobbit, and keep it quiet. Wouldn't really bother me all that much, either. No more than all of the other cameos, anyway.

I think everyone has jumped to the conclusion that the reemergence of Strider's sword, Hadhafang, and the HEWS means that they're back in production. I'd bet a good chunk of my collection that they aren't. Lest we forget BudK's recent found stock fiasco. Kit mentioned that their warehouse is ginormous. And back when I worked in a warehouse that sent merchandise to stores, there were always found pallets of mixed merchandise that were sent to us by manufacturers. I wouldn't put this past them as anything more than found stock. I mean, the quickest way to tell would be for someone to purchase an item and then report back as to where the item was made (the HEWS I purchased when they reemerged had a Made in Taiwan sticker).

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]I don't think the reappearance of these on BudK necessarily means they're coming back. It could just as easily be an error, but I found it strange that they're showing up on their LOTR page.

And as Kit's pointed out many times, the UC Facebook page and BudK site are not updated by people who know the ins and outs of UC's production.

This is simply curious to me that these are being relisted, and so soon after the poll on their Facebook page. Even IF these items were to be rereleased, it's strange that they're listing them now when they'd likely be available towards the end of the year (assuming their rerelease was put into motion after that FB poll).[/quote]

It's definitely curious. I floated the idea that these "rereleases" could just be old stock, but it doesn't make sense that they would be listed as "backordered" with no target release date. And, by putting it live in their website, BUDK is willing to take people's money already. The few times BUDK discovered stock previously, it was available immediately. I'm still wondering why they haven't put the Anduril scabbard up yet. That item actually has a target release date.

As for Hobbit vs. LOTR items, if these are indeed the "rereleases", I see it as decreasing the chances for other LOTR rereleases. If they are only stocking 16 Hobbit items (assuming the Orcrist scabbard comes back) I can't imagine they would be willing to stock many more LOTR items (14, assuming these are right and Anduril scabbard is coming soon). That doesn't say much for the Hobbit brand though.

I'm sure we'll find out what's going on soon enough. I'm glad I don't have to worry about these pieces though. And I'm very happy with my old HEWS, despite the mashed up box.

[quote=""Nerdanel""]And, I'm feeling extra snarky this morning. I like how this guy lists a HEWS every time they pop up on the BUDK website: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Elven-Warr ... 417f9d626c

Same goes for his Strider sword and Hadhafang. Milking his stock until the last minute. :P I'm clearly on ebay too much, but I don't like these tactics.[/quote]
I know this ebay seller foxfox for quite some time.

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]I know this ebay seller foxfox for quite some time.[/quote]

Yeah, and I think I've picked on this seller before. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and clearly loves these film replicas. But I don't like when people buy up the stock of these replicas and release them with the intent of getting the most money possible. Then they get caught redhanded with extra stock when a dealer like BUDK comes along with a reasonably priced one. When I bought my newly discovered Sam sword from BUDK for $100, this guy had one listed for $400. The same thing is happening again, BUDK puts cheap ones on their website, and this guy decides to let a few trickle out before collectors realize there's a cheaper place to find one. The review quotes in his listing are even copied directly from the BUDK website. Really? I feel bad for collector's who fall for this. :(

Edited to add: I don't mean to pull this thread off topic by calling this guy out, but it would be nice to hear something definitive from UC regarding rereleases so collectors can make informed buying decisions.
Last edited by Nerdanel on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]On the subject of old LotR items, here's a random thought for all: why is the scrollwork on Hadhafang's blade engraved with gold but the scrollwork on Strider's Even Knife left empty and grey? :huh: I just noticed it today.[/quote]

Perhaps it was because of who the weapons belonged to. Hadhafang in the movies (I know it wasn't in the book) belonged to Idril, an elven princess and you know royalty like their gold :P I'm not sure who Aragorn's dagger belonged to, so perhaps it didn't have an owner and they thought it wasn't worth filling the inscription with gold, or the previous owner couldn't afford to fill it with gold? Just thoughts.

As Idril is the daughter of Turgon, why is the inscription on her sword written in Sindar but Glamdring is inscribed with Cirth runes? I ask because I imagine that the swords would have been made around similar times. Has this been brought up in the past?
Last edited by Lindir on Sun May 11, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I think for all the effort Wingnut and WETA put into such lore details, and they've done a GREAT job, compared to most other film series, sometimes the ball gets dropped.
So in the EE commentary for FOTR Peter, Fran and Philippa all make the same comment which is in Moria, when Sting is glowing crazy, and yet Glamdring isn't....they joke maybe they'll fix that in a later release.

Glad for the BDs they didn't, as had they in the way Lucasfilm does their changes, it'd possibly be purple instead of blue, and they'd claim it was always supposed to be purple. :P
"One RATLSNAKE to rule them all."

am.dk wrote:well.i must say boromir,sword and the sheld ,that never got into produktion. :coolsmile

Dark shadow ,my freind ,i dont think that Nerdanel is a her ,but he, is a him. :crazy:
So dont worry about (,no responese).
Just stay tuned in forum . hey.
even there is a lack ,whot habbent to vally huu :huh:
No AM, Nerdanel is definitely a woman...name of Jessica.

She took off for the Australian Outback in August 2014.... and that is the last we heard from her.
I emailed her a couple times in 2015 and ,like Dark, got no response.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Unfortunately people come and go on internet forums. We have lost many members throughout the years do to life in general. Lots of times, people may be daily visitors but after getting out of the routine of getting on the forums for a month or so... they kind of become part of your past. People move on. That's not to say that is the case in this situation, but a regular that no longer comes to the forums is not unheard of at all.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”