Re: Witchking Dagger --- LOTR vs Hobbit version

I never trust those promo shots very much, but assuming they are nominally accurate, I didn't realize the Hobbit version had a noticeably darker blade. I have the LOTR one and am quite happy with and I've heard it is more highly sought because it is a bit more scarce, but now I feel the Hobbit version seems more faithful to the overall look due to the additional weathering? :huh:
This Space for Rent

Sounds like they overdid it on the weathering then. Thanks Idril, that calms my fears that I might not have the best version of this dagger. Never liked the circumstances in which it appeared in the Hobbit anyway, and the whole can of worms that the Nazgul in general in those movies turned out to be. I prefer the purity of the scene in LOTR where the dagger is used how Tolkien wrote it. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Speaking of the LotR version, I just bought one for my collection and the serial # on it is #0000. Does anyone know what this means? A google search of United Cutlery and 0000 shows some prototype swords that have this serial, so wondering if this is a prototype sword. If so, does that make it very rare? I got it for $321 shipped which I thought was pretty good at this point. The sticker on one end says UC2595 but the other one doesn't say first production run, it says NL08/047531/5003 and says Jackie Sanders. Have no idea what that means, maybe the original owner? Seems weird though because it's a sticker and not written on. Appreciate anything the group can tell me. Thanks!

That's strange, MrBobC. As I'm sure you know, this dagger was not a limited edition item, so the number stamp is (as you mention) a serial number that merely denotes the production run the replica came from, not the item number you would see on a limited product. Getting one with all zeroes is either a machine numbering error, or a prototype, though perhaps Kit Rae would know more about that. Did the dagger come with official UC packaging or was it just the blade? It's unlikely a prototype would be in a retail box so that might be a clue. The brown shipper box often has the production numbers on it as well.

I myself have a somewhat similar case with my Museum Collection Samwise sword, which came with with a blank space after the # in it's limited edition numbering. Technically a zero, I suppose, or an error in that they forgot to etch the number on the blade. The COA has no number either.

I can't speak to the value of these oddities as I've not seen one for sale to give you an example. Also no idea who Jackie Sanders is. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Thanks for the response. I know the UC2595 wasn't limited, but they had the first production run of 300 and then went on to be serialized. A recent sale on eBay was for #1046 or something like that, so even if not from the original production run I would have expected something that wasn't "0000." It's not blank, it's just the four zeroes. It is in the official UC packaging. Unfortunately they did not keep the original brown shipper box that would have the information. I just thought maybe a prototype since I'd seen other UC items numbered 0000 as a prototype.

Noted on this website for the 0000 meaning prototype: http://fightingknives.info/Products/hib ... d-editions
And on Kit's website he says they could be labeled 0000, but those are the Kit Rae pieces, not sure if the logic follows to UC LotR pieces: http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/Blade_Tang_Marks.html

I would attach pictures but apparently < 300kb is too large.

MrBobC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am Speaking of the LotR version, I just bought one for my collection and the serial # on it is #0000. Does anyone know what this means? A google search of United Cutlery and 0000 shows some prototype swords that have this serial, so wondering if this is a prototype sword. If so, does that make it very rare? I got it for $321 shipped which I thought was pretty good at this point. The sticker on one end says UC2595 but the other one doesn't say first production run, it says NL08/047531/5003 and says Jackie Sanders. Have no idea what that means, maybe the original owner? Seems weird though because it's a sticker and not written on. Appreciate anything the group can tell me. Thanks!
0000 is a prototype. That NL code is a licensing code, which is something New Line Cinema would have put on a sample submitted to them. What you have is either a sample returned to United from New Line, then sold, or something New Line sold off. I know United periodically clears out and sells off samples no longer needed. It could be something New Line sold off when it was purchased and taken over by WB.
KRDS

Kit,

Thanks for chiming in! The way I think of prototypes is that they are before production runs, so I'm guessing what I have then is pre-first production run? Are there lots of these, or were there a very small number of prototypes made for the LotR line? I'm wondering if Jackie Sanders then is the New Line person who reviewed it/sent it back or something like that. I'm going to hold on to it, but I wonder if these types of things (prototypes) carry any more or any less value than the production runs.

MrBobC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 am The way I think of prototypes is that they are before production runs, so I'm guessing what I have then is pre-first production run?
Correct. Those are samples the factory made for approval. Typically there are 2 or 3 samples made for a new product, sometimes more. It just depends on how many things are wrong on the first sample that need to be corrected or improved. You just keep doing them until everything is right. Only the final approved sample is finished and correct. Sometimes even that one is not completely right if we decided to let some details be corrected in production.
MrBobC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 am I'm wondering if Jackie Sanders then is the New Line person who reviewed it/sent it back or something like that. I'm going to hold on to it, but I wonder if these types of things (prototypes) carry any more or any less value than the production runs.
The name sounds familiar, but I don't recall if that was someone who worked for New Line or United. Most prototypes are not as nice or complete as the final production, so I suppose they carry as much value as someone wants to place on them. I just reviewed several prototypes today from various clients, a few with big issues that need to be fixed. Most people would view those as junk!
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”