UC Guthwine - Sword of Eomer

Didn't find a dedicated thread for this sword, but with the image that is surfacing around facebook today I thought I would start one. I also believe the item number is UC3383

Hoping Kit will have some other photos of the finished prototype as well as his thoughts. It is also supposed to have a late 2020 / fall release date.

Re: UC Guthwine - Sword of Eomer

Ugh... late 2020?!?

What is it with this sword? First Indy struggles forever and a day to get it right, and now UC seems to be dragging their heels. To be honest, I have no idea how long it takes from concept to production, but maybe it's just my impatience with Guthwine in general that is creating a bias here. However, it really seems like a very long time for this to come out. Kit, any reason for the delays? Did you receive a sample that you were unhappy with and they're re-tweaking things yet again?
This Space for Rent

I agree that the process seems to be taking absolutely forever. I've waited this long for my grail sword, so if it's another year so be it. TRULY frustrating, but Guthwine will finally be produced and in our hands.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I know... I share your pain. :'(

I would have loved for UC to have made scabbards for all the swords they put out, Guthwine included, but I'm not sure how well they sold overall, or how the cost vs profit ratio on those things might have dissuaded UC from going that route.

They did reissue some of the older ones more than once, but that's probably only because the old UC had already done half the work (design). Saves them having to pay Kit to work on new ones.
This Space for Rent

Yeah I imagine the scabbards aren't very profitable in the grand scheme of things. Add to it that Guthwine doesn't have the broad appeal that the Fellowship weapons do which means less incentive to produce its scabbard. Although one could make the case that Guthwine being the niche sword that it is, surely the type of collector interested in it would most likely be interested in the scabbard as well. I'm curious what percentage of Indy's preorders are for both sword & scabbard vs sword only. I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority opted for both.

Jash wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 pm Great to see some newer LOTR swords making it to production. Geez... is it me or has it been a while since the last LOTR sword?? Which was it - Isildur's? Sam's?

Ronin - Indy's version includes the scabbard... so 100% of orders lol :)
Haha. It's been so long since I checked his website listing that I forgot :rolleye: . Thanks for the clarification :thumbs_up

Ronin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:16 pm Haha. It's been so long since I checked his website listing that I forgot :rolleye: . Thanks for the clarification :thumbs_up
lol anytime (y).

Hhmm…. I wonder... maybe after the 'Battle of the Two Guthwines' (BOTTG ;) ) is over - maybe Indy will consider selling the scabbards separately? For the owners of the UC version? Granted they're made differently by two different companies... they are based on the same dimensions, so there is hope it should fit both....?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I seem to recall an option to order Indy's Guthwine without the scabbard but I might be confusing that with getting the first version of the scabbard, which was missing the fullers? I think Indy offered to remake the scabbard but still ship out the early version to anyone that was ok with it, although to my knowledge, no one did.

Once his sword finally comes out (in 2030), I'm going to inquire if there are any scabbards left over or if it will be possible to comission one. I don't care if it won't fit the UC version because I display them separately.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:19 am I think that photo was shot in the factory last month, but I still have not seen the first complete sample. They are still testing the castings and plating, but I should have the proto in early January.
Kit, I know these things are hard to judge sometimes but with your experience, do you think their estimate of late 2020 is a safe assumption at this point?
This Space for Rent

It depends on that first prototype sample. If the tooling needs to be modified, or the finish needs work, that could add another 45-60 days to the development stage. Licensing approvals will add time, plus Chinese New Year is coming up, which means nothing gets done for most of February. If everything looks good on the first prototype - which rarely happens - it's possible they could start shipping by late Summer. Of course, UC may have reasons to not want them to ship until late 2020 that I am not aware of.
KRDS

I see, thank you for the insight. :thumbs_up

So basically, yes, it's sounding like late 2020 is realistic. Bummer, but they may as well get it right. There's been instances in the past where you are happy with the prototype and then they still somehow fail to follow your instructions and mess something up on the production ones. Let's hope that doesn't happen this time. Guthwine (and us) deserves no less.
This Space for Rent

Ok...just rechecked the actuarial tables for women .....
Pretty sure I'll still be around to enjoy both Indy's Guthwine and the UC one when they are finally issued. :rolleye:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I'm beginning to wonder if we will see either Guthwine on anything remotely close to projected "schedule".... :-p

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Jash wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:01 am I was just on BudK's website. All products seem to be going as planned. But... Guthwine has now changed to March 2021 ! :O

I know... we are all just in shock lol. This must be the most delayed sword in Movie Replica History.
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if the prospect of ever owning this sword isn't just the result of some shared mass delusion on our part. :rolleye:

Even worse, what if we all just dreamt that Eomer actually held a sword in the movie, when in fact he didn't? Our continued inability to collect this elusive weapon could point to the incredible conclusion that it never existed! :O
This Space for Rent

Jash wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:01 am I was just on BudK's website. All products seem to be going as planned. But... Guthwine has now changed to March 2021 ! :O
When it was first put on the BudK website it had an ETA of late Feb 2021, so it hasn't been pushed back that far. I'm not an optimistic person by nature, but I hope it arrives in early spring.

@Val - I would agree to your theory... if I wasn't looking at the prop right now haha. Maybe it's just cursed? First it falls out of it's scabbard on screen, then UC didn't want to make a replica, then Indy's delays, and now UC's delays.

@N2 - hmm good point. I forgot about the Feb 2021. Last I checked it went up to Jan 2021. Maybe it was an error since all other products are still scheduled for Jan 2021? Either way, an extra month or two is no big deal on my end. It just continues the story of the ever elusive Guthwine lol.

We've been discussing obtaining a replica of this sword for almost two decades. What do we do once everyone has one?! In a twisted way, the discussion of not having a Guthwine replica is somehow keeping me connected to the Golden Age of LOTR Sword Collecting. Maybe others feel the same way? Maybe I'm too sentimental? Maybe I'm going crazy in my old age?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I think everything coming from China is experiencing delays. From what I am hearing from clients, sales skyrocketed during the lockdowns and a lot of Summer-Christmas inventory was sold off early. Everyone is scrambling to get new inventory in for Christmas now, which has caused delays across the board. I think the ship date from the factory for this one was only bumped a month though.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:36 am I think everything coming from China is experiencing delays. From what I am hearing from clients, sales skyrocketed during the lockdowns and a lot of Summer-Christmas inventory was sold off early. Everyone is scrambling to get new inventory in for Christmas now, which has caused delays across the board. I think the ship date from the factory for this one was only bumped a month though.
As of last week, UC told me Eomer's sword, helm, and boromir horn were all delayed until late February...
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Got to put my hands on Guthwine... pommel crooked to the point one couldn't help but notice. Easily fixable but still, fixing and tinkering with something new out of the box strikes me as crazy and lazy on the companies part. Splotching on the blade. Removed but still wasn't sure what that was about. Some visible waves in the lines of the fullers. Definitely the most "toy like" in terms of feel imo. Overall pretty good.
Of the 3 Rohan swords, I'd say save this one for last.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”